• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PlayStation Rewards" Program Announced (US)

distrbnce

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
But now you can BUY that number!

What do you mean? Is this an attempt at clever criticism? It doesn't hold the same weight if you just make up bits.

mercenar1e said:
1,600 trophies all for nothing.. SCE is the center for bright ideas.

This mentality is so bizarre to me. No one had a problem with trophies being "all for nothing" yesterday. Don't you guys find something degrading about acting like babies entitled to everything in the world?

DMPrince said:
Nope. To be fair everyone will start out the same.

Well that sucks. Pretty much all of the games I've got that have trophies I've already earned as many as I really want to. Guess I won't be getting any avatars.

distrbnce said:
What do you mean? Is this an attempt at clever criticism? It doesn't hold the same weight if you just make up bits.

Article:
The more you play and participate, the more progress you’ll make through our three reward tiers — “Select,” “Pro,” and “Legendary.” As your status increases, so do the rewards. And if you want to check out your current status level, simply go to your private profile page and look at the reward progress meter.

You're just buying to increase your "status" ... which offers rewards.

distrbnce said:
This mentality is so bizarre to me. No one had a problem with trophies being "all for nothing" yesterday. Don't you guys find something degrading about acting like babies entitled to everything in the world?

How is he acting like a baby? They've been buying and purchasing games for years and now there is a reward system that gives them something for buying and purchasing games ... just not for what they've already done. Seems like a simple request to me since they are now initiating a system of tracking and rewarding and they already have a system of tracking instituted.

distrbnce

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
Article:
The more you play and participate, the more progress you’ll make through our three reward tiers — “Select,” “Pro,” and “Legendary.” As your status increases, so do the rewards. And if you want to check out your current status level, simply go to your private profile page and look at the reward progress meter.

You're just buying to increase your "status" ... which offers rewards.

You are absolutely making an effort to be daft. You will get points for playing the games you were already going to play, they aren't selling you anything new. I'm -buying- because video games are my hobby, Sony didn't trick me into it by announcing this.

Your comment was that you can buy trophy points now. You just want to be obnoxious.

flyinpiranha said:
How is he acting like a baby? They've been buying and purchasing games for years and now there is a reward system that gives them nothing for buying and purchasing games ... just not for what they've already done. Seems like a simple request to me since they are now initiating a system of tracking and rewarding.

The program didn't exist before today. Think like an adult.

But if you want me to go further and think like their business analysts may have, releasing this, especially in a beta, and having it be retroactive would completely break the testing and learning they're trying to do. They are trying to start the program and build it, if it was retroactive, then they would immediately have to have a middle and end-game in place.

Having it be retroactive makes absolutely no sense beyond putting pacifiers between whiny lips. They're giving us shit now for free, so goddamn, just man up and enjoy video games.

Edit: ITT: I unlearn everything Dale Carnegie taught me.

some invites have not been sent yet.. but you can check if your entered by visiting this

if you can access the beta forums on the first link than visit the direct link to the TOA on the forum post.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Rewards-Private-Beta/Welcome-to-PlayStation-Rewards/td-p/46304535

60622575.png

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
mercenar1e said:
some invites have not been sent yet.. but you can check if your entered by visiting this

if you can access the beta forums on the first link than visit the second to accept the TOA

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Rewards-Private-Beta/Welcome-to-PlayStation-Rewards/td-p/46304535

http://us.playstation.com/psr/index.htm?joinBeta=true

Bizarre that I haven't gotten an invite. I've been a GAP member for ages, and signed up for PSN+ the day it came out. I could visit that first link just fine. But the second link gives me a Page Not Found error. Even stranger, if I try to access my account settings, I get the same Page Not Found error. *sigh*

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mejilan said:
Bizarre that I haven't gotten an invite. I've been a GAP member for ages, and signed up for PSN+ the day it came out. I could visit that first link just fine. But the second link gives me a Page Not Found error. Even stranger, if I try to access my account settings, I get the same Page Not Found error. *sigh*

Tried again in IE8 instead of FF, and got prompted to perform a mandatory Flash 10.1 update before I could fully access the site. Did that, reloaded the page, signed in again, and bam, I was able to see the ToS page and accept. Seems like the site didn't know how to elegantly handle a request from a FF instance that lacked the newest Flash player. I guess I'm in despite not yet having received the email invite. Thanks for posting that link!

Mejilan said:
Tried again in IE8 instead of FF, and got prompted to perform a mandatory Flash 10.1 update before I could fully access the site. Did that, reloaded the page, signed in again, and bam, I was able to see the ToS page and accept. Seems like the site didn't know how to elegantly handle a request from a FF instance that lacked the newest Flash player. I guess I'm in despite not yet having received the email invite. Thanks for posting that link!

no problem.. now let's see what goodies the beta has to offer.

mercenar1e said:

if you can access the beta forums on the first link than visit the direct link to the TOA on the forum post.

[IG]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7830/60622575.png[/IMG]

What was the second link that you initially had up? I clicked it and it popped up that page that you posted with a confirmation link and I clicked that. Now there's a PS Rewards tab in the drop down menu on the PS site but I still can't enter the forum.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
mercenar1e said:
no problem.. now let's see what goodies the beta has to offer.

So far... nothing but disappoints. :lol

Noshino

Hey, look at that, Im in as well!

But then again, I also got into GAP about 6 years ago... and I got most if not all of the goodies, I think the only ones I missed were the Ratchet PSP demo discs :C

slider

I wonder if Sony's regions will ever be in sync. Hmm.

Not a US gamer so I'm bummed. In principle I'm fine with this. I had a quick scan and didn't see any mention of registering (which I assume you'd have to). Wonder how long the Beta will last.

TheSeks

slider said:
I wonder if Sony's regions will ever be in sync. Hmm.

Not a US gamer so I'm bummer. In principle I'm fine with this. I had a quick scan and didn't see any mention of registering (which I assume you'd have to). Wonder how long the Beta will last.

3/11/11 according to the TOS. (And that isn't really breaking NDA or whatever)

slider

TheSeks said:
3/11/11 according to the TOS. (And that isn't really breaking NDA or whatever)

Thanks dude. That's... unexpected. Longer than I thought it'd be FWIW (but it is a year so... hmm).

Noshino

QA

What is PlayStation®Rewards?

PlayStation®Rewards is an exciting program created by PlayStation® to acknowledge and reward our most die-hard fans.

Who can join?

PlayStation®Rewards beta is by invitation only. When the program rolls out to the public, it will be open to any legal U.S. resident at least 13 years old (18 in Maine). For more information, read our Terms of Use.

If I'm under 13 years of age, can I participate in PlayStation®Rewards?

Sorry. You must be 13 years of age or older to receive communications from PlayStation®. Receiving communications is required so that we can update you about the program and your rewards eligibility. For more information, read our Terms of Use.

Why isn't PlayStation®Rewards open to everyone?

During our beta phase we are inviting Gamer Advisory Panel Members and early adopters of PlayStation®Plus. For more information, read our Terms of Use.

Why do I have to opt in for marketing communications from PlayStation® to be a member of PlayStation®Rewards?

You must agree to receive at least some communications from PlayStation® to take part in the program. How else can we get in touch about your program benefits and rewards?

What kinds of rewards and benefits do I get?

PlayStation®Rewards offers a wide range of rewards and benefits, including exclusive PlayStation®Home content, as well as dynamic themes, avatars, a chance at access to events like E3™, participation in Betas and other enticing rewards we have yet to think of.

Will everyone get the same rewards and benefits?

Everyone who participates in PlayStation®Rewards has a chance to receive cool benefits like PlayStation®Home content, as well as dynamic themes, avatars and a chance to attend exclusive access to events like E3™. The more you play and participate, the higher you'll climb in the ranks from Select to Pro to Legendary status. As your status increases, so do your rewards.

Can I use multiple PlayStation®Network accounts to earn status and rewards?

PlayStation®Rewards status is earned against one PlayStation®Network account. It is not possible to combine activity across multiple PlayStation®Network accounts to earn status and rewards.

What are the different reward levels?

Select, Pro & Legendary, in increasing order.

How can I tell if I've reached a reward level?

To see if you've reached a reward level, go to your profile page and look at your Reward Progress Meter to find your current status level and see how close you are to reaching the next level.

How do I advance my standing faster?

At launch the program rewards playing new Blu-ray games, and activity in Home & on the PlayStation®Store such as buying movies, shows, games or other content. We're always evaluating additional Reward behaviors.

Does the program ever reset?

Yes - your progress in the program resets at the end of every program cycle, on March 31st of each year. You will retain whatever status you had earned by that date for exactly one year, and during that year you'll have the opportunity to once again rise in the ranks and boost your status for the following program cycle. You can always check how you're doing at us.playstation.com.

Once I reach a reward level, how do I stay there?

Once you reach a reward level, you'll retain that standing for the remainder of the current program cycle and the entire following cycle (each cycle ends in March). Of course, that doesn't mean you should stop trying to rise in the ranks. Remember, if at any point you reach the next reward level, you'll be immediately promoted.

Why can't I see exactly how much progress I get for each activity?

PlayStation®Rewards is a different kind of Rewards program - we want to Reward your natural activity, not give you a bunch of hoops to jump through. We also want your feedback; during the beta tell us how this system is working for you and help us make the best program for everyone.

What happens if I fail to re-earn my current status by the end of the program cycle?

When the program calendar starts anew every April 1st, your progress meter resets, but you retain whatever status you earned during the previous program calendar through to the end of the program year. You can view your current status and progress on the PlayStation®Rewards tab under My Profile at us.playstation.com. Stay active though, because status is only retained for the following program year.

I created a PSN account and joined the rewards program today. Why does the website not show my status yet?

There can be a delay of 24 hours or more during the account creation process. Don't worry! Your PlayStation® activity during this time is still being accounted for and will be applied to your account accordingly.

When will I receive my rewards and benefits?

It depends on your current status and the nature of the reward or benefit. Since reaching a new reward level is a big thing to us, we believe in saying thanks sooner rather than later. So we typically send you an email each month about available rewards and benefits. Please allow at least two weeks for your activity to be reflected on your progress meter.

When do my rewards expire?

Details for each particular reward redemption & expiration can be found in the email accompanying the delivery of the reward.

TheSeks

DMPrince said:
grumble grumble something something grace grumble grumble.

This is due course because you got into the LBP2 beta and I didn't. ;) ;)

SUCK IT

Well well well. The forum link didn't work. Clicked the second link for the confirmation and TOS agreement. joined. got added. clicked the forum link and I saw the page :lol fuck you Grace.

Glad i didn't play my games for the trophies. time to go back to it now.

Clicked on both links. One said denied. The other said sorry, you're not selected or something like that. This rewards program reminds me of SE members program. The more you spend going up the tier, the better the rewards. Then it resets all over and you gotta do it again. :lol

plasmasd

GAP member for 5 years and didn't get in. Oh well, I've only purchased one game via PSN. I'm weird, I like looking at game boxes on the shelf.

distrbnce said:
You are absolutely making an effort to be daft. You will get points for playing the games you were already going to play, they aren't selling you anything new. I'm -buying- because video games are my hobby, Sony didn't trick me into it by announcing this.

Your comment was that you can buy trophy points now. You just want to be obnoxious.

The program didn't exist before today. Think like an adult.

But if you want me to go further and think like their business analysts may have, releasing this, especially in a beta, and having it be retroactive would completely break the testing and learning they're trying to do. They are trying to start the program and build it, if it was retroactive, then they would immediately have to have a middle and end-game in place.

Having it be retroactive makes absolutely no sense beyond putting pacifiers between whiny lips. They're giving us shit now for free, so goddamn, just man up and enjoy video games.

Edit: ITT: I unlearn everything Dale Carnegie taught me.

Dude, wow ... did I offend you or something? WTF is all this shit? I was making a snide remark about buying your status and you go on this long ass diatribe about me enjoying gaming?

Get a clue bro, or turn off your serious face for 2 minutes. What a joke. All I see is you getting defensive and telling me and somebody else to "grow up". In fact you come across as a pompous ass.

beast786

I am really confuse about this. Apparently I am in.

Is there a beta forum ?

How do we get points for it?

If I play my current games, do they count?

Or its attach to totally new games not released yet?

jvm

Gamasutra.
beast786 said:
I am really confuse about this. Apparently I am in.

Is there a beta forum ?

How do we get points for it?

If I play my current games, do they count?

Or its attach to totally new games not released yet?
It's intentionally nebulous. Forum is here:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Rewards-Private-Beta/bd-p/psrewardsbeta

Question about leveling up/earning rewards is here:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/...k-up-When-does-activity-reflect/td-p/46332164

Cool thanks the links work for me, I haven't gotten an email yet though. And I just started playing Katamari a few minutes before I confirmed the TOS, maybe I should've waited.

I think when I changed my PSN e-mail I got removed from the official PS beta program. The last invites I got from Sony were for KZ2 and MAG and I was in the first wave of both of those. But I had to change my PSN e-mail address because my old e-mail account got hacked. Now I don't really get anything from GAP or the PS Beta team. Yet I still have the GAP and PS Beta tabs on my PSN account on playstation.com. But I was still overlooked for LBP2, KZ2, and now this rewards program too. WTF Sony?

AndyD

aka andydumi
cool_trainer said:
Cool thanks the links work for me, I haven't gotten an email yet though. And I just started playing Katamari a few minutes before I confirmed the TOS, maybe I should've waited.

I also hopped in. Lowly Rewards level.

I imagine its not when you start a game, its probably as you earn trophies you go up. Also Home activities and purchases, good thing I held off on Sodium as its on sale this week I think.

AndyD said:
I also hopped in. Lowly Select level.

I imagine its not when you start a game, its probably as you earn trophies you go up. Also Home activities and purchases, good thing I held off on Sodium as its on sale this week I think.

Oh ok, I guess I thought just playing a new game earns rewards or something.
"Play new Blu-ray disc and PSN titles"
That would make more sense though, actually progressing through games rather than renting a bunch of games just for rewards and not really playing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
cool_trainer said:
Oh ok, I guess I thought just playing a new game earns rewards or something.
"Play new Blu-ray disc and PSN titles"
That would make more sense though, actually progressing through games rather than renting a bunch of games just for rewards and not really playing.

Right. They said the growth criteria are "hidden" to purposely make you simply play normally and be happy when you are rewarded. They dont want people renting a bunch or leaving a game on overnight just to get a reward. I imagine its a combination of time spent playing, in Home, trophies earned, variety of games and so forth, no one thing.

Diebuster

Do we know when this thing gets out of beta? It doesn't sound like it'll be retroactive so I might as well tackle the backlog of my other systems in the meantime.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Diebuster said:
Do we know when this thing gets out of beta? It doesn't sound like it'll be retroactive so I might as well tackle the backlog of my other systems in the meantime.

The official forum said 3/1/11 I think.

Ploid 3.0

So it's a type of High Roller benefit without awesome pampering? Well actual high roller find fun in losing money while PS people find fun in playing their games so the rewards shouldn't be so amazing.

1F2BDE46B16326E515512AD97B82.jpg

Top Bottom