• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Birds heading to PSN/XBLA/WiiWare with multiplayer

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/11/15/angry-birds-heading-to-consoles/

Prepare to lose all your free time once again, as iDevice and mobile smash hit ‘Angry Birds’ will be heading to the Wii, Xbox LIVE and the PSN “for starters”. Not only that, but a multiplayer element is being worked on that “will be like old school Worms games.”

It will be interesting to see if motion control is an integral part of the console updates, as playing with the Wiimote/Move/Kinect could be a match made in heaven.

Pricing is also a key issue, with the game being 59p on the iPhone and free for Android users. Rovio need to be careful they don’t price themselves out of the market.

SmokyDave

Absolutely no surprise there. Contrary to the OP though, it won't be interesting to see if they add motion controls.

jett said:
I watched a video of the iphone version. I'd pay 20 cents for it.
It looks simple but the gameplay is rather addictive. I can see the console releases getting some twists thrown in.

probune

I would never pay 10-15 bucks for Angry Birds. It's barely worth whatever it costs on iOS (like 1 or 2 bucks) because of all of its levels.

And WTF at the motion controls comment. What could possibly use motion controls in that game

Oni Jazar

I just played a bit 5 mins ago. I'm on the second stage and the game is hard. I like Cut The Rope better (though that is a bit too easy).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Diablohead said:
It looks simple but the gameplay is rather addictive. I can see the console releases getting some twists thrown in.

Its been done on PC in flash many times though under various names/guises premises. Crush the Castle on armorgames is excellent and has a couple of sequels already I think.

They would have to make a whole another game out of it to charge 10. I would buy Birds on PSN for $2-3 tops. But I would rather they release a proper web browser so I can just play armorgames stuff.

SmokyDave

_dementia said:
Would this really be a hard sell at "full" download price?
I don't think so, no.

I can think of plenty of people that'd jump on an 800pts Angry Birds (especially if their girlfriends found out that it existed). You'd be surprised how well known and widely enjoyed Angry Birds is.

Haunted

AndyD said:
Its been done on PC in flash many times though under various names/guises premises. Crush the Castle on armorgames is excellent and has a couple of sequels already I think.

They would have to make a whole another game out of it to charge 10. I would buy Birds on PSN for $2-3 tops. But I would rather they release a proper web browser so I can just play armorgames stuff.
I think there's a sequel and two expansion packs for CtC out there.

Angry Birds is little more than a reskin as I understand it (same physics and everything), but bringing multiplayer onboard and releasing it on platforms where there's no competition yet (although I can't believe no XNA games have ripped off the concept yet) seems like a smart move.

MrPliskin

Banned
Just to bring a few folks back to reality, I'm certain that development on PS3/360 costs just a smidge more, and since the iOS market is already so saturated with this game (to include Android and webOS) the chances of it being a huge hit are slim. Thus, the game will almost certainly be $9.99. They'll get those few poor saps who don't have an iWhatever or smartphone, make their money back, and be done with it.

probune said:
And WTF at the motion controls comment. What could possibly use motion controls in that game

Is this a serious post? Touch controls will translate marvelously to pointer controls / kinect hand control.

The only problem I see is Kinect since it can't exactly track fingers yet, as far as I know, at least.

Seems stupid. The game is fun to play while waiting around for 5 minutes. Turning on your console, booting up the game, and actually playing it is far more time then I would normally ever play the game for. Not to mention it is free for Android people. Why would I pay anything more then .99 cents for this?

Blu_LED said:
Seems stupid. The game is fun to play while waiting around for 5 minutes. Turning on your console, booting up the game, and actually playing it is far more time then I would normally ever play the game for. Not to mention it is free for Android people. Why would I pay anything more then .99 cents for this?
It's going to depend what they add in, no way would they just sell the bare 59p iphone version in HD....would they?

TunaLover

According its Tweeter the character design was inspired by Nintendo´s Mario and Pixar Studios. Well, is not like there too much design work to be honest =P

gogojira

Been debating picking this up on iPad for a while now. I still am. I mean, I guess it could be cool on consoles but it doesn't seem like the best fit.

I'll probably just stick with my iPhone version. It would be worth some more money though if they added the Halloween version with the regular, new levels, the crazy amount of levels it already has, and some mini games. On that note, I would only play a console version while waiting for my friends to come over to my house though. At the moment, we all just pass around my iPhone while waiting for our MW2 turn.

SmokyDave

Blu_LED said:
I don't see how an Angry Birds play session is any different to, say, Trials HD. Anyone that enjoys the game and wants to '3 star' all the levels (or complete every level for Trials HD) will sit and play for hours. Those that either don't enjoy it or don't see the point in it will play it for five minutes before dismissing it and moving on.

If more people fall into the former camp than the latter, you're onto a winner. I suspect Angry Birds will do very well.

Giard

gogojira said:
Been debating picking this up on iPad for a while now. I still am. I mean, I guess it could be cool on consoles but it doesn't seem like the best fit.

Angry Birds feels more at home with Indie Games IMO.

Carl

To be honest i downloaded this for free on Android and didn't think it was worth that. It didn't last very long before it was uninstalled.

Carlisle

FullMetal said:
It will be a crime if this doesn't come out on DSiWare.
This. It's the only other system on the market that can nearly adequately replicate the same style of play the game was originally designed for. The touch screen is a little small on DS though, but they could make it work a lot better than with a damn controller.

Top Bottom