• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 5 Favorite Fighting Game Characters All-Time

Kimosabae

Banned
Preferably with justification.

I'm sure some of your lists will be much more versatile than mine, as I've only REALLY gotten into a handful of fighters, despite it being my favorite genre.

*edit*

If you're breaking your favorites down into categories, you're just being lazy. The title suggests listing your favorite fighting game characters all things considered. If you're placing a unique character into each unique consideration, you're just not willing to think about it hard enough.

I sat on this topic for months before I was able to create a top 5 for myself.

5. Soulcalibur 2: Yun Sung:
Yunsung.jpg

Seriously, fuck Hwang.

I’ve always been a Yun Sung fan. Hwang’s personality is a 2011 NeoGaf emoticon in relation to Yun Sung. His cockiness/confidence simply fits my personality more. His move set in SC2 was outstanding and he was RIDICULOUSLY fun to play in said game, despite his supposed low tier-ness.

SC2 Yun Sung was a character that put a lot of that game’s mechanics to great use. He had a plethora of Soul Charge LvL 1 Guard Break moves, making him very rush-down capable. Unfortunately, his biggest problem was having an extremely punishable low to start his mixups, and a somewhat slow horizontal A attack. Regardless, dedicated Yun’s could route a player inexperienced against the character.

Also, Yun’s B4, or Vertical ~ B, A.K.A. “Wagging Tail” - a move where he swings the sword at his opponent from behind his back and between his legs - was the coolest move in the game.

God, I miss Soulcalibur 2.

Notable vids:

Evo2k3 DTN (Nightmare) vs. Hayate (Yun) 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJRPwE4_Ndw

Evo2k3 DTN (Nightmare) vs. Hayate (Yun) 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOYy_1VrPc

4. Super Smash Bros. Melee: Marth
marth.jpg

I played this game competitively for around 6 years, and this character was my main. The irony was that I thought he was the cheapest peace of shit before I got introduced to competitive Smash. His forward smash was too godly for my scrub-like demeanor.

Plus, he kinda looked homosexual:

marth.jpg

(not that there’s anything wrong with that!).

It wasn’t until 2004 that I was introduced to competitive Smash through Ken’s Marth. 2004’s Game Over Ken vs Chillin was to a lot of the competitive Smash community what the Daigo parry video was to the general fighting game community at large.

Game Over: Ken (Marth) vs. Chillin (Fox) KEN DEFEATED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKkoF_MHQ4

While this vid doesn’t have the hype of the Daigo parry vid, it had impact for a few reasons: 1. It was one of the few competitive Melee matches recorded and began getting widely circulated. 2. Ken losing was very rare at this time.

No Forward Smash spamming. He was using grabs. And there were combos that followed from these grabs. The character looked so controlled and methodical. He looked cool. After seeing that video, I decided to give the character a shot and I was instantly hooked. Just the methodical feel of his combos and swinging his sword. Once I found out about his elaborate Forward Air combos into Down Air through experimentation – I was completely sold on him being my main.

More Notable Vids

Some vids of me playing Marth (and losing :3. To be fair to myself, this was my first tourney after almost a year in retirement):

SynikaL (Marth) vs. Linguini (Ganondorf) 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m86RYypMAkk

SynikaL (Marth) vs. Linguini (Ganondorf) 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpFvE-_yqbc&feature=related

And of course, some Mew2King vids:

Revival of Melee M2K (Marth) vs. Shiz (Falco):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc

Here, you can find a playlist of M2K generally raping with Marth:

http://www.youtube.com/user/UsurperKingZant#p/c/1D5C5B24B4925BB3/8/GtMKFfH2h4c

3. Street Fighter III: Third Strike: Ken

SFIII3sfb_ken.jpg

Ken has always been my favorite Street Fighter character. Confident and flashy is what I'm all about. Ken feeds on your interpretation of him being arrogant. He’s probably my most favorite fighting game character overall, but because I’m being specific in my choices regarding which version of each character I’m choosing, 3S Ken manages to come in at # 3 on my list.

I simply loved his versatility in this game. I’m all about versatility when it comes to fighting games, and Ken is the swiss-army knife of Third Strike – assuming he’s using his Shippu Super. With 101 different ways to hit-confirm combo into it, Ken with meter is always a threat. He does great damage even without meter due to his Target Combo and his ability to land two LP Dragon Punches in the corner or mid-screen.

Notable Vids:

Daigo vs Justin Evo 2k4 (of course):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_AnZ0k8zOs

Alex Valle vs Daigo Evo 2k6:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDYANa9a-mU

3rd Strike Ken combo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-LP-6yGvg

2. Soulcalibur 2: Cervantes

cervantes.jpg

He's a fucking zombie-pirate.

That shouldn't need any soaking in.

Zombie. Pirate.

Okay.

SC2 Cervantes was a fucking blender. Stupid high-damage with high mixup potential. I used to nick-name this character “Half-Life” because Cervantes had what was termed a “Relaunch” combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LMfzJnrqW0

When Cervantes lands his Back Turned A+B on an opponent, it causes a stun that allows him to launch the opponent again and comboing them. What you’re seeing here, is Cervy landing a counter hit launcher (the launcher only launches this high on Counter) running beneath the character to the other side, and landing the BT A+B. Cervantes has a 1 frame window to land this launcher because for only 1 frame, the character being comboed is considered by the game to still be in a juggle state, yet at the same time grounded.

Landing this combo consistently was very hard but very rewarding. Through a stupid amount of practice, I was able to get the combo around 75% - 80% of the time. You felt like a badass every time you landed this.

Outside this combo, SC2 was generally fun as all hell. Again, an extremely versatile character, which I love. He had great range (which was often deceptive), made great use of the Soul Charge system through myriad level 1, 2 and 3 Soul Charge Guard Breaks and Unblockables, did awesome damage and had great mixup potential. Not only that, but he had “hidden” Just Frames, that allowed one to put his Back Turn A+B (previously mentioned) into block strings, which set the opponent up for HUGE damage. He has an expansive moveset with a response for every situation with many natural Unblockable moves, one of them being extremely fast.

Most Notable Cervy early in the game very short competitive lifespan was Fetz. Here’s a great Evolution 2k3 match with Kageh:

Fetz Vs. Kageh Evo 2k3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz-fEU9jEG4

Soulcalibur 2 Cervy is largely a product of that game’s versatility. Namco, if you want my money when SC5 is released, make sure you look to this game for inspiration.

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee: Captain Falcon

captain-falcon-big.png

Here he is. My most favorite fighting game character of all time. Melee Falcon embodies everything I want from not only a great fighting game character, but from a fighting game period: speed, power, combo capacity and overall: versatility.

As far as character goes: Falcon is a man's man. Falcon holds the twin suns of Tatooine in his left and right palms and holds Zeus and Chuck Norris hostage within his kneecaps. Whenever he knees an opponent, they traverse a blackhole of pain to an alternate universe where they warn themselves not to become a character in Super Smash Bros. Melee just to avoid a fight with Captain Falcon. If Captain Falcon were ever wrong about anything, he wouldn't eat crow, he'd pluck the plumage off a phoenix, swallow it whole and stick the flaming feathers in his helmet like a combustible Chief Thunder to ensure he was never wrong about anything, ever again.

Then he'd devour your universe with a right hook:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw

Mario may have been the out-of-the-box template character, but Falcon was the competitive template.

gamerpals37.jpg

Melee Falcon could exploit just about every facet of this game’s impressive engine and it made him incredibly fun to play. From engine exploits, to the developer’s intentions, Falcon had it all. Good Wavedash? Check. Chain Grab? Check. Great tech-punish game? Check. Walljump? Double and Triple Check. Best Moon Walk in the game??

Checks across the board.

In the competitive Melee community everyone plays Falcon, and all-Falcon side tournaments/challenges are not a rare site at all in tournament venues. Not only is the character fun to play, but he’s just fun to watch. Watching a Falcon main play Falcon was impressive, because you knew the player/character was doing things you/your character could only dream of. Kind of like watching Viper players in SSF4 (but not really).

Crazy combos, crazy speed, crazy confidence that took a lot of skill to realize.

Yeah, Melee Falcon was the shit.

Notable vids:

Isai was the OG Falcon in the competitive community. He was the first to realize the characters potential and after winning MOAST 3 in 2005, EVERYONE was inspired to play the character through his beating Ken (Melee champ at the time) in the most spectacular fashion:

Ken Vs. Isai MOAST Grand Finals Match 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZGmB2w1KQ

Darkrain was next out of the gate with Falcon. He was Isai cranked to 11 in his nascence. He was ferocious with his comboing and tech reading abilities:

“Mind Reader” Darkrain combo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxgk2NfqOoM

Then there’s Silentspectre, who was the first to bring Falcon’s Moonwalking capabilities to the forefront, and introduced a very unorthodox style of Falcon:

“Silence” Silent Specter combo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vziStKcg6g

pubic_shaver_internet_honorable_mention.jpg

*To be Updated*

Guilty Gear: Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske and Potemkin:

ggx2-sol-badguy-01.jpg

Guilty_Gear_Ky_Kiske_shoes_ver_01-2-05.jpg

potem_9278.gif

Guilty Gear. I just never got a chance to get into it because I was too busy with Smash. Buy the time I was done with Melee, BlazBlue gutted the community. I can't stand anime, but I love Guilty Gear's character designs. Don't know why. Despite liking BB's gameplay, the character designs are the main barrier to my enjoyment of that series.

Onegun

Neo Member
What can I say? I loves me some Virtua Fighter.
Lion Rafale
Pai Chan
Kage-Maru
Jacky Bryant (I done handcuffed lightning)
Shun Di

fernoca

2pklz.jpg

Top 5:
1. Kitana (Mortal Kombat series)
2. Brad (Virtua Fighter series)
3. Sindel (Mortal Kombat series)
4. Mario (Super Smash Bros. series)
5. Ryu (Street Fighter series)

Honorable Mentions:
1. Pay (Virtua Fighter series)
2. Chun Li treet Fighter series)
3. Maxi (Soulcalibur series)
4. Jin (Tekken series)
5. Orchid (Killer Instinct series)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
1) IORI YAGAMI
Debut: KOF 95
iorixi.jpg

2) GOENITZ
Debut: KO F96
Goenitz-svc.jpg

3) GAI TENDO
Debut: Buriki One
gai-2000striker.jpg

4) ELIZABETH BRANCTORCHE
Debut KOF XI
651459_I8MYRG7STV4E5R5K785PICAJT78RRO_317295-elisabeth-blanctorche-large_H225053_L.jpg

5) YASHIRO NANAKASE
300px-Yashiro.jpg

KOF 97

And many many others like : Shermie,Vanessa,Akuma,Urien,etc.

ScOULaris

In no particular order:

• Reptile (MK1 and MK2)
  • Akuma (Street Fighter series)
  • Johnny (Guilty Gear series)
  • Fulgore (Killer Instinct series)
  • Dudley (Street Fighter III and SSF4)

Kimosabae

Banned
fernoca said:
Top 5:
1. Kitana (Mortal Kombat series)
2. Brad (Virtau Fighter series)
3. Sindel (Mortal Kombat series)
4. Mario (Super Smash Bros. series)
5. Ryu (Street Fighter series)

Honorable Mentions:
1. Pay (Virtua Fighter series)
2. Chun Li treet Fighter series)
3. Maxi (Soulcalibur series)
4. Jin (Tekken series)
5. Orchid (Killer Instinct series)

This guys just missed making my list.

Ferrio

Banned
Really difficult to prune it down to 5.

1. Blue Mary (KOF '98 version a particular fav)
bluemaryfull.jpg

2. Ling Xiaoyu (T3)
4c5f077cb9_56911479_o2.jpg

3. Rock Howard (Garou: MOTW)
RockHoward2.gif

4. Makoto (SF3)
sf3rd-makoto.jpg

5. Bridget (GG)
guilty_gear_xx_accent_core_conceptart_EYVDT.jpg

My mixed bag of top choices:

Feng Wei (Tekken)
Cammy (SF)
Marco Rodriguez (Garou)
Leona Heidern (KOF)
Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)

jett

D-Member
t4_1_640w.jpg

Jin Kazama (Tekken 4/5)

hwoarang.jpg

Hwoarang (Tekken 3/4/5)

892808-ryu_super.jpg

Ryu (all versions)

1674772-zerochan.terry.bogard.272628_super.jpg

Terry Bogard (Garou: Mark of the Wolves)

chujj-cg.jpg

Chuji Wu (Tobal 2)

jergrah

1. Lei Wulong -- From the first time I ever played Tekken
lei-wulong.jpg

2. Hwang -- Sorry OP....he was my hands down favorite in the original Soul Blade, especially when you unlocked his ultimate weapon (invisible sword)
300px-Hwang_Seong-Gyeong.jpg

3. Ryu -- He was my man from the first time I played SFII on the SNES
250px-Ryu-tatsunoko.jpg

4. Gambit -- Always loved him in the comics, so when he hit Marvel vs Capcom he was always on my team
mvc2-gambit--article_image.jpg

5. Raiden -- He was my main in MK1 and the first guy I pulled off a Fatality with at the local arcade
Raiden_mk4.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
5. Law (Tekken)
4. Mitsurugi (Soul Calibur)
3. Kilik (Soul Calibur)
2. Ryu (Street Fighter)
1. Cammy (Street Fighter)

844013-cammy01_super.jpg

I never played Cammy until HD Remix came out. I was always a Ryu guy in Street Fighter and honestly have never seen Cammy until HD Remix (fighting game noob blah blah blah lol) Online with Ryu, I was always getting my ass kicked by Cammy players. I said fuck it and decided to try her out. She's been my main ever since. I play 95% of SFIV, Super IV with Cammy and will play her in AE as well. I'm looking forward to playing her in other Street Fighter games down the line. She's a really fun character to play with.

bon

(no particular order)
Haohmaru - Samurai Shodown
Q-Bee - Darkstalkers
Hsien-Ko - Darkstalkers
Zach - Dead or Alive
Brad Burns - Virtua Fighter

It's hard to narrow it down to just 5. I spent 15 minutes thinking this list over and I'm still not happy with it.

1. Street Fighter-Ryu
2. Mortal Kombat-Liu Kang
3. Etrernal Champions-Midknight
4. Karate Champ-White colored karate suited character
5. Yie Ar Kung Fu-Oolong

Whip (King of Fighters)
317167-whip_large.jpg

Yoshimitsu (Tekken)
352964-yoshi_tag_super.jpg

Ivy (Soulcalibur) [notice the trend of female with whips]
1014.jpg

Potemkin (Guilty Gear)
potemkin_gug.jpg

Shuma Gorath (Marvel / Capcom series)
110186-13342-shuma-gorath_super.jpg

These are not in any specific order by the way.
There are honestly a lot more I could put if I didn't have to just pick five... plus I may have even forgot to list some I really like (maybe Fulgore).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
First five to come to mind, in no particular order:

Hornet (Fighters Megamix / Daytona USA)

24_288x216.jpg

A stock car with a Shoryuken? Meh, why the hell not?

Hsien-Ko / Lei-Lei (Darkstalkers)

tenraihabitch.jpg

Honestly, I could put about a third of the DS cast on the top of my list. Only going with this one because I've been using her more often lately due to MvC3 rumors. Bottomless arsenal up her sleves and a demeanor that frequently shifts from ho-hum to silly. Lunge forward for an airdash? Fuck that, I'ma Looney Tunes that shit. Gong gong gong Tenraiha.

Aoi (Virtua Fighter)

Aoi_VF5_portrait_01.jpg

Kinda bland visual design, but the *CRUNCH* in all of her reversals are so satisfying. Gameplay-wise, she's designed to be able to counter virtually every move in the game (much more than any other character). Unfortunately, reversal counters in VF are high-risk low-reward, and I kind of suck at using her effectively anyway.

Terry Bogard (King of Fighters)

250px-terrybogard.png

The patron saint of Engrish himself.

Ajim (Virtual On, totally counts as a fighting game)

dna_ajim.png

The ultimate glass canon in a game where high level play is dominated by defensive tactics. Max speed and power; dies in one hit. :3 Some footage of him at the end of this video.

Kusagari

1. Chipp Zanuff (Guilty Gear)
2. Shuma Gorath (MvC)
3. Dudley (Street Fighter)
4. Duck King (Fatal Fury/King of Fighters)
5. Adon (Street Fighter)

Grisby

1.Ryu
2. Jill
3. Cammy
4. Pikachu
5. Christie

I don't play fighting games seriously but these are the characters I always chose in their respective games.

Go to be..

1. Chun Li (Street Fighter)
2. Sol Badguy (Guity Gear)
3. Taokaka (BlazBlue)
4. Sophitia (Soul Calibur)
5. Terry Bogard (King of Fighters/Fatal Fury)

SolidC213

hidden02.jpg

Marth (Super Smash Bros. Melee)

bryan_fury.jpg

Bryan Fury (Tekken Tag)

tmnt_ray-241.png

Ray Fillet (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters)

1ca0c0389a4e9e9e68d5.gif

Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)

galford3.jpg

Galford (Samurai Showdown)

Degen

Alex (Street Fighter 3) - slams the **** out of you and then goes "at ease, loser" with a brooklyn accent to end the round
Nightmare (Soul Calibur) - not my best guy, but definitely the icon of the series
Hakumen (BlazBlue) - C button spam all day sucka
Sentinel (Marvel vs Capcom 2) - yeah, he's overpowered... but still, man. still.

and the best for last:

Bryan god damn Fury (Tekken) - because he's the best. seriously, why are we even having this discussion

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kimosabae said:
I hope people at least skimmed the OP, cause' I spent like 4 hours on that shit.

*NeoGaf laugh smilie*

You might wanna fix your image links before bragging.

ALSO THANKS FOR THE NARUTO SPOILERS, FUCKASS

Yeef

1. Ken Masters - Great mix of speed, style and power.

2. Makoto - Lots of fun to play, especially since, in a game filled with super-powered fighters, her moves are fairly well grounded in reality.

3. Guy - Tons of fun to play and his moves just flow together so well.

4. Hibiki (Lost Blade 2/ CvSNK2) - She has a very unique feel to her. A very defensive character that's not a turtler.

5. Rolento - Amazingly fun and stylish.

Honorable Mention: Karin - her playstyle feels like Fei-Long's taken to the next level. Lots of fun once you get her down.

X26

Banned
Hwoarang - Tekken
Bakuryu the Mole - Bloody Roar
Akira - Virtua Fighter
Scorpion - Mortal Kombat
Raven - Tekken

Kimosabae

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
You might wanna fix your image links before bragging.

ALSO THANKS FOR THE NARUTO SPOILERS, FUCKASS

They seem fine on my end. Sometimes the Yun image disappears, but a refresh fixes that. Are there any others?

Bragging? What?

Korigama

Hmm, only five?

p_l1273862827.jpg

1./Kula Diamond (The King of Fighters)

And after that, in no particular order...

2./Mature (The King of Fighters)
3./Iori Yagami (The King of Fighters)
4./Kyo Kusanagi (The King of Fighters)
5./Karin Kanzuki (Street Fighter)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Haha I'm always the only person who likes Talim... she is my favorite ever.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kimosabae said:
They seem fine on my end. Sometimes the Yun image disappears, but a refresh fixes that. Are there any others?

Bragging? What?

Yun Sung, Ken and Cervantes are all broken for me ... and yes you were bragging about your OP ;) Although if the images work for you then thats OK, it is a good OP and a good idea for a thread.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
D9Gxd.jpg

1. Lei Wulong - This guy is so much fun. I've got more options with him than anyone. If one type of attack isn't working on someone I can completely switch it up with Lei and make a comeback.

VfTI7.jpg

2. Sakura - I'm not great with her yet, but I love her speed so much. She is a fun challenge since she is so much weaker than everyone else. She is my favorite SSFIV character. "I'm only gonna get stronger."

KIC2f.jpg

3. Jin Kazama - He is so much fun to play because he is so basic. He is the opposite of Lei Wulong.

e5jvqw.jpg

4. Cammy - Dat. Ass. Seriously though, she is a ton of fun. I feel like I can control a lot of space with her and really get in someone's head.

2mnkn61.jpg

5. Ling Xiaoyu - I love fast, nimble characters more than any other kind.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Kimosabae said:
Seriously, fuck Hwang.

yeah. you lost me right here.

5)joe hisashi(ff, kof)

4)wang tang(ps)

3)hwang(soul series) my birthday bro

2)roy(melee)

1)ryu(sf series)

honorable mentions are sean and king

SolidC213 said:
tmnt_ray-241.png

Ray Fillet (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters)

its sad that one of your favorites is from a completely shit game.

Top Bottom