• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 5 Favorite Fighting Game Characters All-Time

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
1- Guy
guy-fix-print.jpg

2- Urien
urien.gif

3- Makoto
450px-Makoto_SF.jpg

4- Goh
350px-GohVF5.jpg

5- Ino
i-no-2-620x.jpg

Honnorables:

Shen Woo
shenwoo-kofxii-stance.gif

Elena
279982-sf3elena2_super.jpg

Ivy
ivy-sc3introgif.gif

Taokaka
taokaka-stance.gif

Threi

notag
Too many to mention, probably forgot one that would replace any on this list, not all of them are fighting game chars, but first five that come to my head:

SoD2c.jpg

Such a unique design, best thing to come out of that overrated (but not bad) game called SF3
This video cemented it.

tO1fP.jpg

I personally can't play him very well, but his design and moveset is just so freaking awesome.

L5jFz.jpg

So. Awesome. All of his (lack of) animations are so good.

i4P6c.jpg

Can't not put my girl Pullum on the list. RES ARCANA!

cWJQA.jpg

My MvC1 main, just a cool character in general. Clockw0rk's strider in MvC2 is a work of art. If you can't get hype watching his strider, you aren't human.

no, deejay isn't on my list

doa4_wp-ayane_1024.jpg

1. Ayane-Dead or Alive is kind of the first fighting game franchise I got into and Ayane is the character I play the most. Her moves are incredibly fast and that is pretty much the type of character I play as.

sc4_pub_ss_sophitia005-copy.jpg

2.Sophita-My main in any SC. She seems a bit cheap,but whatever. She's incredibly fun to play and allows me to easily knock my friends out of the arena.

tekken_6_asuka_kazama-normal54.jpg

3.Asuka-Now I'm not a big Tekken fan, but I do really like 5. Asuka is the main reason. Her moves just blend in for me and I'm actually able to play the game with her. My friend says she's a cheap character, but idk enough about Tekken to care.

sf4-sakura.jpg

4-Sakura. I mean she kind of plays like Ryu, but shes a chick. Lots of better SF characters out there, but I just like playing as Sakura. When I beat someone with her I truly feel like I've won.

500x_ash.jpg

5.-Ash. Hey I have an Ash avatar! I like this character. For the past year I've really been getting into King of Fighters. I've bought as many of the games that I could. It is fast becoming my favorite fighting game series. It just feels right and is so much fun. Now I like a lot of characters such as Yuri, Kula, Blue Mary, Vanessa(awesome character), and Athena(a main), but Ash to me is the most fun to play. His moves are not complex, so playing as him has really gotten to understand the actual systems of games like XI and XII. He's just fun to play as and I like his fruity character design. Doesn't hurt that he's supposed to be the villain.

One honorable mention as I don't play Guilty Gear as much as KoF or SF.

slayer-rl.gif

Slayer- A true badass. His win animations are hilarious and he has a move I like to call "lord of the dance".

ReiGun

chun-li.gif

1. Chun Li - The first time I ever beat SF2's arcade mode was with Chun Li and she's been my first char in every game I've played since (not always my main though). I loves them thighs. <3 SF4 Vid

219210-juri_han_by_vogelrok_large.jpg

2. Juri - She made SSF4 fun for me again. Even when I lose, which is often, I always have a great time playing with Juri. Evo 2010 Vid

casshan--article_image.jpg

3. Casshan (or Casshern) - My TvC main. Just an awesome, awesome character. His fist shatter mountains! He and the rest of the TvC cast helped start my love affair with Japanese super heroes. TvC preview vid

tatsunoko-vs-capcom-ultimate-all-stars-20091217041159068.jpg

4. Roll (TvC "Broom o' Doom" version) What's that, you say? Roll sucks. Yeah, okay. Whatever you say. She is incredible, and it's a damn shame she's not in MvC3.

super-princess-peach-20051226094112844_640w.jpg

5.Peach (Melee version) Down smash all day. Melee match vs. Ken's Marth

Ferga

5. Ice man (MvC)
4. Eddy Gordo(Tekken)
3. Sagat (street fighter)
2. Akuma (street fighter)
1. Glacius (killer instinct)

Mabase

spot_3rdstrike3.gif

spot_3rdstrike4.gif

Makoto - Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

Not only the best animated character in the best animated game ever, but also a prime example on how the meticulous combination of game design, graphics, animation and sound effects not only create one incredible game experience, but also makes the force, motivation and sheer bad-assery behind a game character visible and palpable. Makoto is there to kick your ass, she's the female Chuck Norris.

here's a great article, highlighting some of her animations and touching on SF3s Game Design
http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/3rdStrike

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/3rdStrikeMakoto

And the awesome Zweifuss.ca, to view all SF3 Animations
http://www.zweifuss.ca/makoto
/makoto.htm#

spot_3rdstrikemakoto4.gif

AdroitOne

Neo Member
In order:

1. King (obviously :D) (Tekken)
2. Nina (I've been using King and Nina as my mains for 15 years :D) (Tekken)
3. Raven (Tekken
4. Bruce (Tekken)
5. Astaroth (Soul Calibur)/Lei Fei (Viruta Fighter)

Honorables:

Zasalamel (Soul Calibur), Akuma (Street Fighter, Sueng Mina (Soul Calibur), Taki (Soul Calibur), Goro Daimon (KoF), Clark Still(KoF), Ralf Jones(KoF), Hanzo(Samurai Shodown), Zack (DOA), Nakoruru(Samurai Shodown)

d0c_zaius

1. Oliems (tobal 1 and 2)
2. Scorpion (MK 1 and 2)
3. Q (SF3)
4. Darun Meister (SF Ex series)
5. Zappa and ABBA (GG AC + and a tie!)

Diamond

In alphabetical order. Difficult to say, I usually love to switch characters a lot in fighting games (and I'm not super skilled either).

Akira Kazama - Rival Schools/Project Justice

akira-121.gif

"I'm not the younger brother of the big boss... I'm his younger sister..."

Great design, tough girl with Metroid-style reveal at the end of her story and good fighting style.

Black Lotus - Bushido Blade

0.jpg

"This is... The Bushido !" (sic), in the japanese version

An Irish warrior who came to Japan to study the Bushido. He's a well balanced character, which is appreciated in a technical game like BB, and has a great ending sequence at the end of the game.

Genjuro - Samurai Showdown

327469-genjuro_ngbc_large.jpg

"I build a nest of beast in my heart. The fang is growling; Kill... Let's go kill."

Love the design, simple but powerful. A tortured, brutal killer with sober yet esthetic fighting style.

Nightmare - Soul Calibur

user1166_1148872749.jpg

"My thirst is endless !"

He's a goddamn half-German knight, half-demon with a diabolical sword that has eyes ! I love his presence in the arena, kind of a controlled fury with devastating hits. I prefered his design and fighting style in SC 1 and 2 however. Brilliant character.

Sagat - Street Fighter

300910-sagat_sf4_large.jpg

"Man, beast, or god... My punch smashes all into nothingness !"

What can I say... This is Sagat ! :)

PBalfredo

34fl2z7.jpg

1 & 2. [TIE] Ness and Lucas (Super Smash Bros)
I've been maining Ness ever since the original Smash Bros. Adding in Lucas is just double the fun. Both are highly versatile fighters. Ness has killer aerials and Lucas' smashes are devastating. Not to mention PK Thunder is so good at grabbing Smash Balls, it's almost cheating.

2epndrm.jpg

3. Cassandra (Soul Calibur)
Fast and aggressive! Right in the opponent's face and never letting up! Her playstyle has always fit me and her moves seem to flow so naturally together. Though I feel her SC2 incarnation is the superior one, Cass is my go-to girl in any Soul Cal. Plus, I love her cocky, somewhat bratty attitude.

28wdvma.png

4. Terra (Dissidia)
Great balance between melee and ranged combat. Terra's doublecast ability makes her an absolute monster in EX mode. [Holy] (x2) -> [Flare] (x6) -> [Ultima] (x2) -> Riot Blade = win.

dnema9.jpg

5. Rachael Alucard (Blazblue)
Racheal's ability to lay down traps and use her wind powers to move characters and projectiles can set up some pretty badass smackdowns. Plus, her condescending attitude against the entirety of Blazblue's ridiculous cast never fails to amuse me.

Honorable Mention:
Yuri (KoF)
Milia Rage (Guilty Gear)

G-Fex

realterrybogard-o.gif

Terry Bogard

kyo1-o.gif

E728k.jpg

Kyo Kusanagi

z1NHrl.jpg

Bridget

V9ck2.jpg

Angel (She was real fun to use, I miss her :( Damn you SNK for taking her out )

73VQr.jpg

Ash Crimson

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
He didn't make my list, but here's another sweet Yunsung vid for the OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EepU4wLgnLs
(Hayate taking out a team consisting almost entirely of top-tier Xianghua)

My top 5:

5. Cammy White
awc7jo.jpg

I was pretty excited about Street Fighter IV bringing fighting games back to the forefront, but it was tough finding a main since I wasn't really a big SF fan and hadn't played any of the past games seriously. I was waffling between a few characters until I saw a video of Vasaznion/Allen's instant air Cannon Strike pressure - then I knew that Cammy was it. There was nothing more satisfying in all of my time playing SF4/SSF4 than surprising people with how far I could take an underrepresented character in local tournaments and gatherings.

random video: SSF4 - GodsGarden: Tokido (Akuma) vs Sakonoko (Cammy)

4. Makoto
bjamqh.jpg

Again, I'm not really an SF fan... but 3rd Strike's sprites and animation are on another level. By virtue of Makoto's visual design/animation and all out playstyle (with all of her moveset being actual karate moves) I fell in love with the character despite being so terrible at 3s. Since I've actually managed to learn an SF game for the first time with SF4, I'm playing Makoto now in Super SF4 and looking forward to her AE incarnation.

random videos: the infamous 3s - Makoto (J) vs Kokujin (Dudley) / SSF4 - The Magic of VRyu Sensei's Makoto

3. Maxi
148m97s.jpg

Does a playstyle get any cooler than Maxi's constant stance shifting? I don't think so. High five to anyone who else who can pantomime all of his stances/PSLs. :p Also, any character design which is a pirate/prisoner originating from Ryuukyuu is automatically a plus in my book.

random videos: SC3 - SarusubeP (Cervantes) vs Oosaka (Maxi) / SC1 - Maxi Skill Project by WCMaxi

2. Millia Rage
wb6zps.jpg

Guilty Gear is a series full of outstanding, utterly ridiculous character designs, but Millia is the only one whose gameplay just clicked with me. Her hair turns into all manner of useful things (spears, wings, cars, among other things), she has a godlike hairpin to toss out for continuing the lockdown, she'll take you to the corner in one combo, and she can pull off flashy corner loops all day. It doesn't hurt that she's part of the coolest group of characters in the series (the Assassins, natch) too.

random video: GGAC - Nakamura (Millia) vs Inufuku (Slayer)

1. Kilik
34j6ipi.jpg

SoulCalibur is my favorite fighting game series, and Kilik has been my main since SC1. He gets a bad rep as being too boring/vanilla, but the fact that he's a balanced character who qualifies as a jack of all trades but master of none makes him very satisfying to play... moreso than characters who have a few specific, very powerful moves that they're always trying to land, IMO. To play Kilik well (this is less true with his SC3/4 incarnations where he was given disproportionately strong tools like WR B and Asura Dance) you really do need to know your way around his entire movelist and how to space properly.

random videos: SC1 - Kilik Skill Project by WCMaxi / SC2 - Tsubasa (Xianghua) vs Hayate (Kilik)

Kimosabae

Banned
Holy crap ExMAchina thanks for that channel. I forgot all about Cannes.

Those matches linked were great. Hayate wins the second round of the first match with my favorite move.

Majukun

1)
sc4mitsurugi.jpg

Heishiro Mitsurugi (soul calibur)
2)
dhalsim

Dhalsim (street fighter)
3)
0284.eddy.jpg

Eddie (tekken)
4)
may-guilty-gear.gif

May (guilty gear)
5)
228282-ki2_glacius_render2_large.jpg

Glacius (killer instinct)

RYU(SF)
ZANGIEF(SF)
ERMAC(MK)
HAGGAR(FINAL FIGHT)
KING(TEKKEN)

also these honorable mentions
SABERWOLF(KI)
TERRY B(KOF)
BARAKA(MK)

Are people seriously listing Smash Bros. Characters? It's not exactly a serious game is it?

My characters are:

Noel Vermillion
Cammy
Dudley
Juri
Spider Man (MvC2)

Captain_Spanky said:
Are people seriously listing Smash Bros. Characters? It's not exactly a serious game is it?
What does it being serious or not have to do with people enjoy playing as the characters?

Nothing.

Threi

notag
Captain_Spanky said:
- it's a game

- the characters fight eachother to win

- there is a large difference in skill between those who just picked up the game and those who are considered top class

fits all the criteria to me.

olimpia84

1. Ken Masters (Street Fighter)
2. Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/KOF)
3. E. Honda (Street Fighter)
4. Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
5. Rock Howard (Fatal Fury)

Honorable mentions: Sabrewulf (KI), Spinal (KI), Iori (KOF), Ryu (SF), Sagat (SF), M.Bison (SF) Roy (SSB), Ness (SSB)

beat

Lion, VF2 and onwards. I started the VF series with VF2, and he and Shun had more interesting styles than most of the other characters. But Shun was and is a little harder to use than a fast poke-poke-poke Lion.

Apharmd B, VOOT. In contrast to the way I play Lion, Apharmd B is all about the big-hit tongfers. Some of his other weapons do good damage, but mostly they're there for positioning, to set up for a tongfer hit.

Voldo, SC series. I like weird characters.

and just to round out a top 5 or so: Lau and Sarah from VF. Fairly fast, can pack a lot of power in fast canned combos (Lion's most powerful combos are rolled combos and IMO harder to pull off), very easy learning curve.

(honorable mentions - Mitsurugi, SC, for power and I don't have any DOA favorites. I really don't play 2D fighters enough to have a favorite. Other VF chars I like: Jeff, for the Splash Mountain throw, Vanessa, for the offense/defense stance stuff, Pai, for being a weaker but faster Lau. Never could get into playing Kage, Jacky, Akira, Taka, Wolf, etc.)

Kimosabae

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
You can't just make this topic out of the blue. I need days, no, weeks to figure this out.

I actually sat on this topic for months.

Good post. Can't stand Dragonuv damn near offends me, but then again, I don't like Tekken.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
In no particular order:

HCYdR.gif

Shuma-Gorath(Marvel Super Heroes, vs. Series)

En3Vn.gif

Venom(Guilty Gear)

nbeFY.gif

Necro(Street Fighter)

ZWv06.gif

Kano(Mortal Kombat)

BdRCn.gif

Geese Howard(FF, AoF, KoF, CVS)

plainr_

1) Kyosuke - Rival Schools
2) Ryu - Steet Fighter
3) Forest Law/Marshall Law - Tekken
4) Scorpion - Mortal Kombat
5) Orchid - Killer Instinct

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
1. <3 Juri <3

b4uumx.jpg

2. Setsuna (The Last Blade 2)
3. Terry Bogard (Mark of the Wolves)
4. Kula Diamond (King of Fighters XI)
5. I-No (Guilty Gear XX)

tafer

1. Nu 13/Lambda 11 (BlazBlue):
Nu-13.jpg

I can't remember how many hours/days/weeks/months I invested improving my skills with this character... (And loved every second of it!)

2. Dizzy (Guilty Gear)
Dizzy.jpg

The first character I tried to learn how to play properly.

3. Chun Li (Street Fighter)
My default SF character.

4. Baiken (Guilty Gear)
Baiken.jpg

When my Dizzy didn't work, it was Baiken time!

5. Vega (Street Fighter)
Back-Up character.

Out of topic: what happened to tinypic!? Any good replacements with search function?
On topic: I'm the first to post Nu and Dizzy!?

In no particular order:

1) Noel Vermillion (BlazBlue): I like girls with guns.
noel-hairdown.gif

2) Goh Hinogami (Virtua Fighter): I like wannabe vamps.
gofv5.jpg

3) Leona Heidern (The King of Fighters): I like girls with blue hair.
leona-12s.gif

4) Zato (Guilty Gear): I like shadows.
zato-tauntz2.gif

5) Lili (Tekken): I like my spoiled brat girls.
lili-hq.jpg

ptown

In no order:

Ken- Ryu with more style
Chun-Li - legs
Rock Howard - Terry/Geese mix
Iori Yagami - cool guy
Terry Bogard - Engrish

Honorable mentions:

Lei-Lei - cute *ni hao*
Makoto - tomboy makes karate look down right fierce
Guy - unorthodox character, safe crouching roundhouse I call "slipping the card"
Cody - THE real street fighter brofisting through brick walls, homeless bum eating turkeys outta dumpsters
C. Viper - Capcom's SNK style, mix-ups
Ivy - big whips
Siegfried - big sword and loud "Link" voice/noises
Hwoarang - making Tae Kwon Do look amazing

Top Bottom