• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android overtakes Symbian as world's best-selling smartphone platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmmick

Android overtakes Symbian as world's best-selling smartphone platform in Q4 2010

11x01311109nd.jpg

Surprise, surprise?

I wonder if google will be able to keep up the momentum throughout 2011 now. It's funny looking back at it, and how many early adopters (such as myself) has seen android go from nothing into almost everywhere in the mobile market.

MNC

Now to actually make it worthwhile to stay with Android. I really like where it´s going and I really want to buy one, but the fragmentation is making me scared and confused.

edit: ^^^^ lol

gimmmick

Ulairi said:
It's still a mess that offers a weaker user experience when compared to webOS and iOS.

I can't say I'm not surprised that this would be the first reply.

Maybe google gave him an offer he couldn't refuse, but Duarte Sweet and his crew is doing a fantastic job with honeycomb with all the previews that have been written about it.

rezuth

One less shitty OS replaces another shitty OS, lets hope 3.0 polishes it up. Google needs to stop giving carriers the power.

ShinNL

I wonder how many trolls here actually own/have tried Android devices.

Also, fragmentation means diversity (of handsets)... there's more to it than just a con-side >_>

I myself am glad with this report. Android is the best thing that happened to the mobile industry, since a lot of software will be shared among different brands (thus as an Android owner, you'll have a lot of software available).

rezuth

Soneet said:
I wonder how many trolls here actually own Android devices.

Also, fragmentation means diversity (of handsets)... there's more to it than just a con-side >_>
I own 3, the most recent an xperia x10 mini.

gimmmick

rezuth said:
One less shitty OS replaces another shitty OS, lets hope 3.0 polishes it up. Google needs to stop giving carriers the power.

Yeah I really doubt google will be making that mistaken anytime soon. If google still wants to keep promoting android as being the premier open source operating system on the mobile market, I doubt they will bullish to manufacturers that are putting them on the map.

rezuth

gimmmick said:
Yeah I really doubt google will be making that mistaken anytime soon. If google still wants to keep promoting android as being the premier open source operating system on the mobile market, I doubt they will bullish to manufacturers that are putting them on the map.
At least give me the option of removing preinstalled bullshit software without rooting my phone.

Dead Man

Symbian itself grew from 29.9m in Q3 to 31m in Q4, but Android's pace of expansion has been so rapid as to make that irrelevant.

I love my Android, but that remark seems a bit dismissive.

ShinNL

Dead Man said:
Well the thing is, Nokia has always been the nr.1 even with Symbian. Suddenly it turned around in 1 year in terms of market share. It seems almost every group has increased in growth (so the industry is growing), but the marketshare is vastly different.

gimmmick

rezuth said:
At least give me the option of removing preinstalled bullshit software without rooting my phone.

I would love this option too, but I doubt it will ever happen. I guess you can always try out stock android if you want a pure google experience.

Dead Man said:

It's engadget, what the hell do you think they were going to say? lol

I'm really surprised how many unites nokia is still able to ship, it's only a matter of time till manufactures like Huawei and ZTE will really put android on the map. Shipments of ultra-cheap androids could reach 25 million units this year.

Ulairi

Banned
Soneet said:

I myself am glad with this report. Android is the best thing that happened to the mobile industry, since a lot of software will be shared among different brands (thus as an Android owner, you'll have a lot of software available).

HTC Droid Incredible and Moto Droid 2 R2D2.

webOS > iOS > Android.

Dead Man

Soneet said:
Well the thing is, Nokia has always been the nr.1 even with Symbian. Suddenly it turned around in 1 year in terms of market share. It seems almost every group has increased in growth (so the industry is growing), but the marketshare is vastly different.
This is true, but the article speaks like Android has swamped everyone else, when they have had massive growth, but are only just larger than Nokia. I get that it is a massive accomplishment, but the article reads like hyperbole.

gimmmick

Dead Man said:
This is true, but the article speaks like Android has swamped everyone else, when they have had massive growth, but are only just larger than Nokia. I get that it is a massive accomplishment, but the article reads like hyperbole.

The thing is... I really don't think anyone saw this coming this early. I would have estimated at least by q3 / q4 of 2011 before android would have been acknowledge of taking over the top spot over symbian. It is really remarkable to tell you the truth, neither RIM or apple has ever accomplished this.

itxaka

Defeatist
Going by the data, seems that they are selling more mobiles than ever. Except windows phone, the rest have grown up a lot.

Stop with this shit please. It's embarrassing to have to sign your posts with "I have an android"/"I have an iphone" so you don't get labeled a troll. Sheesh, mobile phones, serious business.

ShinNL

Dead Man said:
I don't think it is though. Everyone had growth, so it's not saying a lot. Symbian had one of the lowest growths and was one of the few losing marketshare. It is a big deal for Nokia and I doubt they themselves will be shrugging it off to their shareholders.

Not a complete hyperbole, maybe just a little because of their recent comments...
Nokia's investor relations call has borne a few more interesting tidbits from the new man in charge. Elop is quoted as saying Nokia must "build or join a competitive ecosystem," with the latter verb in that sentence sure to renew discussions of why the Finnish company should / shouldn't switch to an OS such as Android or Windows Phone 7.
---
itxaka said:
Stop with this shit please. It's embarrassing to have to sign your posts with "I have an android"/"I have an iphone" so you don't get labeled a troll. Sheesh, mobile phones, serious business.
Yeah, because we all appreciate the amazing input that has no benefit to the discussion! SMH

markot

Banned
gimmmick said:
The thing is... I really don't think anyone saw this coming this early. I would have estimated at least by q3 / q4 of 2011 before android would have been acknowledge of taking over the top spot over symbian. It is really remarkable to tell you the truth, neither RIM or apple has ever accomplished this.
RIM and Apple make devices. Android is an OS which every major device manufacturer has signed up to. Its not really comparable.

markot said:
RIM and Apple make devices. Android is an OS which every major device manufacturer has signed up to. Its not really comparable.

Exactly. When you just dump an OS on any hardware that will run it (and then abandon it), of course you'll have the marketshare.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I think it's great news. It'll keep encouraging manufacturers to stick to Android.

Personally love my Desire and all the shit i'm able to do with it that you just can't on other platforms.

gcubed

krypt0nian said:
Exactly. When you just dump an OS on any hardware that will run it (and then abandon it), of course you'll have the marketshare.

and that matters only in helping fans of RIM and IOS sleep better at night because it has no other relevance

gcubed

krypt0nian said:
In your mind, sure.

how else then? They have an advantage that both the other devices choose not to participate in... MS pulled its head out of its ass and started right, but they can't sell anything. If it was just as easy as letting all manufacturers make phones then WP7 would be selling like gangbusters as well.

Cartman86

Banned
gcubed said:
how else then? They have an advantage that both the other devices choose not to participate in... MS pulled its head out of its ass and started right, but they can't sell anything. If it was just as easy as letting all manufacturers make phones then WP7 would be selling like gangbusters as well.

Well you know Windows isn't the highest selling OS around, because it's not a piece of hardware either. Windows being on every device hasn't made it ubiquitous at all...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Soneet said:

I own 6, and I still think Android has a way to go. It's a great OS, but needs more polish and less critical bugs.

gcubed

Cartman86 said:
Well you know Windows isn't the highest selling OS around, because it's not a piece of hardware either. Windows being on every device hasn't made it ubiquitous at all...

i'm not arguing that, but the ramifications of windows being on every device affords it certain advantages in the marketplace, which, i would assume, is the only reason people care about these stats as well

gcubed said:
i'm not arguing that, but the ramifications of windows being on every device affords it certain advantages in the marketplace, which, i would assume, is the only reason people care about these stats as well

Except it doesn't seem to. "Get the app" on commercials has Android as an afterthought, if it has it at all. Game devs make an Android port after the fact. Etc etc.

gcubed

krypt0nian said:
Except it doesn't seem to. "Get the app" on commercials has Android as an afterthought, if it has it at all. Game devs make an Android port after the fact. Etc etc.

well no, its definitely not infallible, android has some known and glaring issues with its marketplace as well as it is fighting an entrenched #1 (has it passed iphone sales overall yet?) which basically coined the entire tech lexicon surrounding the current smartphone space.

This is all just apps as well, there are other roadblocks it has for games that are starting to disappear in a version of android that currently is only available on one phone but is still most likely a bit off on being even comparable

Tobor

gcubed said:
Its not an entirely accurate comparison. Microsoft didn't have to worry about hardware manufacturers or carriers delivering software updates to Windows, for example.

gcubed

Tobor said:
Its not an entirely accurate comparison. Microsoft didn't have to worry about hardware manufacturers or carriers delivering software updates to Windows, for example.

true, which currently is IMO the largest drawback/issue with android currently.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Soneet said:
There really isn't. Tell me, as an Android user, what the positives are of handset diversity when all I experience is handset incompatibility.

alterego

krypt0nian said:

Well from a developer point of view there's also the 10 milllion ipod touches and 7.3 million ipads from last quarter you'd have to throw in. A much more homogenious development target than what Android currently provides.

Symbian was number 1 OS for ages but developers did not care. Why?
Apple has never been number 1 OS but has the richest app and developer support. Why?

What does Google need to do to move more towards Apple's level of support and avoid Symbian's?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lyphen said:
There really isn't. Tell me, as an Android user, what the positives are of handset diversity when all I experience is handset incompatibility.

The upside isn't for you, it's for Joe Random who wants a $0 phone to text and doesn't give a shit about "apps" or fancy web browsing.

bionic77

Symbian was made obsolete by the first iPhone and with each new modern OS release it becomes more irrelevant. I thought from the beginning Nokia should have taken over WebOS so that they could have gotten a piece of the smart phone pie, but that ship seems to have sailed and they will continue to lose ground every year now.

I guess they could still license Android and try to remain relevant in the smartphone space on the strength of their hardware, but they really need to do something soon and throw in the towel on Symbian.

Superuser (I recognize that the majority of users don't care about this ), an open platform, great devices, Google technology. I don't regret one bit my move to my Incredible. I hope for great things in the future. Especially regarding game development and PlayStation Suite. To me there is more to it than brand identity ...

Of course that is only my opinion.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
rezuth said:

lol

You think this is Google's fault?

alterego said:
Well from a developer point of view there's also the 10 milllion ipod touches and 7.3 million ipads from last quarter you'd have to throw in. A much more homogenious development target than what Android currently provides.

Symbian was number 1 OS for ages but developers did not care. Why?
Apple has never been number 1 OS but has the richest app and developer support. Why?

What does Google need to do to move more towards Apple's level of support and avoid Symbian's?

What? Google already has a rich app ecosystem that is leagues better than Symbian ever was and is better than Apple's was 2 years ago (trust me, I had an iphone 3G, now on an evo). Google's biggest problem right now is that their users just aren't buying a lot of apps. Probably something to do with the kind of people on iOS versus Android.

Until Google actually takes some responsibility instead of putting everything in the hands of carriers/manufacturers, I could never buy an Android unless it is a Nexus. Regardless of how nice the hardware may be.

Have NA Galaxy S owners even gotten the Froyo 2.2 update? Google is already on 2.3.

SmokyDave

canova said:
yeah I think Sony made the right choice partnering up with Google
Fortunately for Sony, they seem to be thinking bigger than that...

SCE CEO Kaz Hirari has told Japanese press that the PlayStation Suite might extend beyond Android in the future.

“We're focusing first on Android,” Hirari told the roundtable of local media. “There's also Windows, iOS and so forth, but we don't have the resources to make it compatible with everything from the start."

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/PlayStation+Suite/news.asp?c=27063

Taken from Gamecocks625 post here.

Playstation everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom