• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android overtakes Symbian as world's best-selling smartphone platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
canova said:
yeah I think Sony made the right choice partnering up with Google

Yup there is a huge install base here that is relatively untapped in regards to gaming. I just wonder if they're up to the task. PSN isn't what I would call the ideal marketplace ready to capitalize on the mobile space. If this was steam, I'd be buying valve stock now, but I think Sony has the ability to screw this up.

numble

canova said:
I doubt PS suite would end up in iOS or WP7. Apple is a control freak, and WP7 Xbox Live is a direct competitor to Playstation brand.

RIM and Nokia are more like the next platform after Android
What does being a control freak have to do with it? Games get released on it all the time, and either Capcom or Sega is doing this with one app and "store" full of in-app purchases.

Canova

Banned
numble said:
What does being a control freak have to do with it? Games get released on it all the time, and either Capcom or Sega is doing this with one app and "store" full of in-app purchases.

I meant Apple won't allow to have another game store in their OS. If Sony wants to release their psOne games, it has to be from iPhone Game Central

alterego

Nerevar said:
What? Google already has a rich app ecosystem that is leagues better than Symbian ever was

True.

The point was more to illustrate that purely having the numbers does not guarantee developer support.

I think for all the fragmentation talk Android still provides a better more consistent development target than Symbian ever did.

However, as devices and OS versions, skins and variants proliferate will that get worse over time?

numble

canova said:
I meant Apple won't allow to have another game store in their OS. If Sony wants to release their psOne games, it has to be from iPhone Game Central
But Capcom has an app called "Capcom Arcade" where you can purchase old Capcom games, so I don't see where there's a problem.

SmokyDave

Davidion said:
Best thing Sony's working on, imo.
If it actually happens, I completely agree. I'd love to be able to buy PSP quality titles (and PS-One legacy stuff) and be able to play it on more than just my PS3 & PSP.

numble said:
Playstation on Windows Phone 7? Will the games have Xbox Live achievements?
I honestly don't know, I only saw that story this morning. I'd hope so. A little platform agnosticism with the PSP brand could go a long way to establishing some cheeky reliable revenue for Sony. I'd certainly be glad to see it come to iOS, even if I have a PSP.

rezuth

canova said:
They already let people have in-app purchases. They don't give a shit aslong as they get the profit.

ShinNL

Lyphen said:
There really isn't. Tell me, as an Android user, what the positives are of handset diversity when all I experience is handset incompatibility.
I don't know about you, but right now I'm playing Game Dev Story on my tiny smartphone X10 mini. If it wasn't for Android, I wouldn't be. I would had to choose between a phone with a huge screen or a small phone running some crappy (almost non)OS.

Gallbaro

Banned
Somnid said:
It certainly seems like the successor. I also think when the time comes it'll be replaced just as fast.

Its following a modified PC business model, and apple is following an apple model. The results will be fairly traditional.

tfur

Not surprised at all to see the most functional OS continue on the inevitable path of dominance.

Weenerz

Banned
Great news, I just wish Google would somehow mandate updates for their phones. Samsung is by far the worst company for phone updates and it turns me off to their Tab as well.

I believe Microsoft does this, or they publish phone updates themselves and have hardware standards that needed to be met.

bionic77

numble said:
But Capcom has an app called "Capcom Arcade" where you can purchase old Capcom games, so I don't see where there's a problem.
That might not be a problem, but I wouldn't want to play most PSP games on a touchscreen device.

Somnid

Gallbaro said:
Its following a modified PC business model, and apple is following an apple model. The results will be fairly traditional.

Google doesn't seem to have an out. There's very little loyalty in android (mostly because every device is completely different) and there's little interest in creating a stand-alone device that works without tethering it expensively to a network. When cellphone networks become obsolete in the near future people are probably going to default to platforms of high loyalty which will probably include branded devices like iPod or gaming devices methinks.

RevoDS

Somnid said:
When cellphone networks become obsolete in the near future
I'm curious to know what exactly makes you think cell phone networks are about to become obsolete. Since your whole point is based on this assumption, a minimum of data to back it up would be nice.

Futureman

WOW. Left the videogame side a long time ago when I stopped playing games, this is the closest to console wars we'll probably get over here. Some of you are downright fucking BABIES. iOS and Android both fucking ROCK. Look at what we had 5 years ago. You spoiled little fucks need to stop whining. Pretty sure Google is gonna shut you whiny fucks up on Wednesday.

With that said:

Q4 2009 compared to Q4 2010 Android.......... HOLY SHIT.

Gallbaro

Banned
Somnid said:
Google doesn't seem to have an out. There's very little loyalty in android (mostly because every device is completely different) and there's little interest in creating a stand-alone device that works without tethering it expensively to a network. When cellphone networks become obsolete in the near future people are probably going to default to platforms of high loyalty which will probably include branded devices like iPod or gaming devices methinks.
Somnid
Corporate Ballwasher
Ignore everything I say
(Today, 09:25 AM)
Reply | Quote

SmokyDave

Futureman said:
WOW. Left the videogame side a long time ago when I stopped playing games, this is the closest to console wars we'll probably get over here. Some of you are downright fucking BABIES. iOS and Android both fucking ROCK. Look at what we had 5 years ago. You spoiled little fucks need to stop whining. Pretty sure Google is gonna shut you whiny fucks up on Wednesday.
Calm down, dear.

Android is a very good mobile OS that still needs some fine tuning to really making great, but it is on the right path. The fact that they are putting it on so many new phones makes this news unsurprising though. Android phones are everywhere these days and aren't confined to the big carriers any more.

As an iPhone user, I'm glad their is some competition out there to make things interesting, but as someone else said, you can thank Apple for waking up the industry and getting it reenergized again. It's nice to see innovation from so many different companies these days.

It will be interesting to see how the lawsuit plays out between Oracle and Google though. The fact that they cribbed so much code is kind of disturbing. They didn't even try very hard to hide it either. They just cut and pasted a lot of stuff.

Evander

"industry expert"
Maybe Android isn't selling because it is put on everything

maybe android is being put on everything because it is selling

mrklaw

MrArseFace
H_Prestige said:
Until Google actually takes some responsibility instead of putting everything in the hands of carriers/manufacturers, I could never buy an Android unless it is a Nexus. Regardless of how nice the hardware may be.

Have NA Galaxy S owners even gotten the Froyo 2.2 update? Google is already on 2.3.

Google don't put it all in the hands of the operators. There is a ton of google stuff on there that is pushed into operators if you want to take an android device. The success of android is good for one company - Google.

Its bad for operators because it undermines their relationship with customers. They want to own their customers and rely on heavy customisation.

Its bad longer term for device manufacturers. Its rapidly becoming commoditised. HTC manages to differentiate through software, which is kind of ironic considering in theory thats what android was supposed to bring.

Its a huge growth through companies jumping on the zero cost to enter, but it has repercussions that will take time to filter through.

numble

H_Prestige said:
Until Google actually takes some responsibility instead of putting everything in the hands of carriers/manufacturers, I could never buy an Android unless it is a Nexus. Regardless of how nice the hardware may be.

Have NA Galaxy S owners even gotten the Froyo 2.2 update? Google is already on 2.3.
I thought Google was still stuck on 2.2.2 on some Nexus devices.

Weenerz

Banned
H_Prestige said:

I think the only carrier in the US that has the froyo update for Galaxy S owners is T-Mobile and they just got it last week.

tfur

NPD

Windows Phone 7 Off to a Slow Start in Fourth Quarter, as Android Smartphone Market-Share Lead Increases

http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2011/1/prweb8101410.htm

As the first Windows Phone 7 models hit stores during the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2010, the Android smartphone operating system (OS) significantly increased its market-share lead by 9 percentage points, since the prior quarter, to reach 53 percent of the U.S. consumer smartphone market. According to The NPD Group, a leading market research company, Apple iOS share declined 4 percentage points to comprise 19 percent of unit sales in Q4; RIM OS fell 2 points to tie Apple’s 19 percent; Windows Mobile, Microsoft’s legacy OS, fell 3 points to 4 percent, as the new Windows Phone 7 OS debuted at 2 percent; and Palm’s WebOS held at 2 percent.

numble

tfur said:
NPD

Windows Phone 7 Off to a Slow Start in Fourth Quarter, as Android Smartphone Market-Share Lead Increases

http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2011/1/prweb8101410.htm
Top Five Handset Models Were All Smartphones in Q4 2010
Based on U.S. consumer purchases of mobile phones in Q4 2010, for the first time there were no feature-phone handsets in NPD’s top-five ranking. All top-selling mobile phone models were smartphones, as follows:
1. Apple iPhone 4
2. Motorola Droid X
3. HTC EVO 4G
4. Apple iPhone 3GS
5. Motorola Droid 2
I can't believe so many people are buying the 3GS in Q4, especially in the US market. That's a year and a half out from launch. I guess that's why Verizon/Apple don't care that they are releasing iPhone 4 half a year from launch.

tfur

When was the last time iOS had a decline in the US? And only months after a new version release?

I wish someone had NPD numbers to post.

Futureman

Why do people care so much about mobile OS updates after iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0 like shit?

You buy one of these devices and should expect one OS update at most IMO, even with the almighty Apple. Maybe things will change in the future, but I kind of don't get all the hate Google gets over phones not INSTANTLY GETTING UPDATE TO THE LATEST VERSION.

bionic77

What is the explanation for the staggered updates on Android from different hardware manufacturers? Why can't you just download the newest update and install it? Is it because each manufacturer has their own slightly modified version of the OS?

numble

tfur said:
When was the last time iOS had a decline in the US? And only months after a new version release?

I wish someone had NPD numbers to post.
AT&T released info on iPhone activations and Apple released total sales, so the hard numbers are there to be found. There aren't NPD numbers in the console sense because most buy from carriers, not B&M retailers.

gcubed

bionic77 said:
What is the explanation for the staggered updates on Android from different hardware manufacturers? Why can't you just download the newest update and install it? Is it because each manufacturer has their own slightly modified version of the OS?

yes, skins/modifications need to be ported to the new version, then they have to work out how to distribute it with the carriers.

LCfiner

Futureman said:
Why do people care so much about mobile OS updates after iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0 like shit?

You buy one of these devices and should expect one OS update at most IMO, even with the almighty Apple. Maybe things will change in the future, but I kind of don't get all the hate Google gets over phones not INSTANTLY GETTING UPDATE TO THE LATEST VERSION.

The 3G was two years old when OS 4.0 borked it (it's better with iOS 4.2, though). there are Android devices that are mere months old that don't get the latest software updates from Google.

And Android handset manufacturers don't always care since they are not building a software platform but selling a piece of hardware instead. Google would need to add incentives for the handset manufacturer - or the carrier - to push the update to these devices.

edit

Retrocide said:
Apple wants profits, Google wants market share. They both got what they wanted.

truest statement in the thread.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
alterego said:
True.

The point was more to illustrate that purely having the numbers does not guarantee developer support.

I think for all the fragmentation talk Android still provides a better more consistent development target than Symbian ever did.

However, as devices and OS versions, skins and variants proliferate will that get worse over time?

This whole point is overblown. During the latter half of my iphone 3G lifecycle there were games being put on the app store that wouldn't run on my device, but people didn't call that "fragmentation" then. Even with the iphone you should really only expect 1.5 years out of your device unless you get it day 1. The only Android device maker that is really far behind that is Samsung, and that has evolved into its own internet controversy.

The 3G was two years old when OS 4.0 borked it (it's better with iOS 4.2, though). there are Android devices that are mere months old that don't get the latest software updates from Google.

Give me a break. My iphone 3G was a dog even after iOS 3. By the time iOS 4 hit it was even worse, and on top of that most of the "new" games weren't able to run on my phone due to hardware limitations. The phone just wasn't powerful enough to keep up with the software they were pushing out.

gcubed

Retrocide said:
Apple wants profits, Google wants market share. They both got what they wanted.

unlike apple though, giving away an operating system still equals profits for google. so market share still equals profit

Polk

MNC said:
Now to actually make it worthwhile to stay with Android. I really like where it´s going and I really want to buy one, but the fragmentation is making me scared and confused.
Actually I think biggest test for android will be end of this year/beginning of 2012 when many of contracts will expire.
Unless Google can find way to assure users that they have some upgrade plan (os-wise) there will be lot of people who turn away from android.
Google really needs to find a way to make andoid os layered with them updating core layer by themselves and the other layer would be dependant on phone manufacturer/carrier.

numble

gcubed said:
unlike apple though, giving away an operating system still equals profits for google. so market share still equals profit
Not all the time. If China Mobile sticks Baidu on it or Verizon/AT&T sticks Bing on it, for example.

LCfiner

Nerevar said:
Give me a break. My iphone 3G was a dog even after iOS 3. By the time iOS 4 hit it was even worse, and on top of that most of the "new" games weren't able to run on my phone due to hardware limitations. The phone just wasn't powerful enough to keep up with the software they were pushing out.

our experiences differ, obviously. iOS 3.0 was decent on my old 3G. And I know several people with older ipod touches and iphones using either iOS 3 or 4 and none of them are cursing their phones.

sure, it's not as responsive as the 3GS or iphone 4, both running at 60 fps UI, but that's to be expected.

clav

Will wait until Android 3.0 to upgrade from Win Mobile 6.5 ($30/month for 500mins + free nights + weekends + unlimited text + data is the only reason why I use it.) unless WP7 becomes a polished platform then.

The fragmentation is a mess on Android right now with Google not officially backing updates. What's up with that? You see people like CM, AOSP, and Super D E F having to make ROMs for people to enjoy. Android is essentially what the former Windows Mobile community has migrated.

zoku88

Somnid said:
http://gigaom.com/mobile/ios-android-loyalty-raises-app-lock-in-hurdle-for-others/

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
LCfiner said:
our experiences differ, obviously. iOS 3.0 was decent on my old 3G. And I know several people with older ipod touches and iphones using either iOS 3 or 4 and none of them are cursing their phones.

sure, it's not as responsive as the 3GS or iphone 4, both running at 60 fps UI, but that's to be expected.

You can dig up my post history if you'd like. Worst smartphone I've ever owned. I really am amazed they didn't get more heat for the iphone 3G, the whole product was a joke. Missing features at launch, buggy platform updates, terrible performance, etc. Don't even get me started on the reception. About halfway through the platform's lifecycle they obviously just stopped caring about it. Couldn't have been happier to ditch it. Only issue I have with Android is the battery life, but then again, I'm probably a much more technical user than average.

Not sure if it was the exchange sync or the number of dynamic playlists I used, but it rarely worked well once ios 3 hit. Also, I know anecdotal experience is worth as much as you pay for it, but I don't know a single iphone 3G user who was happy with their phone within a year of getting it. Amazingly probably half updated to the iphone 4.

gcubed

zoku88 said:

that is the reason that makes it hard to just up and switch. I dont think there is a lot of room for existing customers to switch due to money sink in their current platform. The longer WP7 toils in low sales, the harder it is for them to get a foothold... unless something major happens, i dont see many people that are either on Android or IOS switching solely due to how much money they have invested in their respective app platforms

Davidion

gcubed said:
that is the reason that makes it hard to just up and switch. I dont think there is a lot of room for existing customers to switch due to money sink in their current platform. The longer WP7 toils in low sales, the harder it is for them to get a foothold... unless something major happens, i dont see many people that are either on Android or IOS switching solely due to how much money they have invested in their respective app platforms

For a survey like that you'd also have to take into account carrier issues as well. As much as it might go over some of the platform wars around here, signal quality can certainly be big enough of a factor to impact decisions on the next phone they buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom