• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

zmyxoo.jpg

2ccmd7t.jpg

Players: 2P Offline, 2P Online (Drop-in/Drop-out)
Platforms: Xbox360 / Playstation 3
US Release Dates: 2/16 360, 3/15 PS3
Price: 1200 Allards, $14.99 PS3
Developer: Arc System Works
Producer: Kenji Yamamoto

Story:

In 2613, the world is now ruled by an empire known as the Commonwealth under the reign of Tiberius. Neighboring nations have suffered under the Commonwealth's oppression and Resistance Forces rise across the land. However, so many Resistance Fighters have fallen to the overwhelming might of the empire, that their strength is now severely diminished. A group of elite soldiers rise through the ranks of the Resistance and band together to execute a desperate plan. The leader of this group is the war hero Bahamut.

Characters:

282kmfl.jpg

Bahamut - Former soldier of the Commonwealth army, he turns on his comrades after witnessing an imperial squad execute innocent people.

e0fy10.jpg

Krystal - A woman with seemingly no previous combat experience. However, after her hometown is attacked by imperial forces, she decides to join Bahamut.

DLC Characters:

200 Xbox Points each

65x5e0.jpg

Harley Daniels - A motorcycle riding soldier sporting an extreme pompadour hairstyle.

33tgkkz.jpg

Sayuri - A female samurai.

Guns! Guns! Guns!:

- Machine Gun - SPRAAAAY!
- Spread Shot - Ultimate lazy man gun. I don't aim. I bullet spam. Word!
- Chain Laser - It will track enemies, fire and forget. Great weapon!
- Ripple
- Heated Plasma - Charge shot. Absorbs enemy bullets as well!
- Crash Gun

Game Play:

Arcade Mode - Limited Health, Limited Lives, closest to O.G. Contra.

Rising Mode - Converts your score into points that can be used to buy permanent character upgrades!

Double Tap direction - Dash
Double Jump
Jump and Dash by double tapping direction.

6dthjb.jpg

1jsz2p.jpg

1ysfvo.jpg

2m7jc6q.jpg

fthw2e.jpg

643wht.jpg

35k4pxy.jpg

spw6l4.jpg

34jb09t.jpg

2vjofic.jpg

2ptxqxl.jpg

98su2g.jpg

2zybitj.jpg

Images taken from First 10 Minutes of Gameplay

Customization:

Looks that kill. You can choose between seven different looks for your character, including the classic white Resistance uniform.

Konami Code:

Shhhhh ... Yes, the Konami code works. Exactly how, where, and how many times it works is something we'll leave to the user to find out.

Critical Reception:

5/5 Examiner
9.00 Game Informer
7/10 Thunderbolt Games
Gamespot: 7.0/10
Planet Xbox 360: 8.4/10
ztdg: 7.5/10
CNET MAD:

Some games are hard. Other games are ridiculously hard. Uprising's harsh difficulty curve manages to wildly overshoot such paltry levels of sadism and ventures instead into the magical realm of the purely ridiculous.

Uprising's default Arcade mode is strictly for Contra purists. With meager health, three lives, and very little in the way of extra abilities, it offers an undiluted experience--one that makes you want to hurl your console through the TV screen.

A brisk challenge can be a great thing, but the insidious stage designs start off pretty brutal and grow exceptionally wickeder as you progress. This can make Uprising hard to stomach at times. Only one or two checkpoints are woven into the lengthy levels, and being forced to repeat a mid-stage boss battle you just struggled through because you ran out of lives only seconds after completing it is maddening.

Throw in some sporadic platforming sections that require an inhuman level of precision, and it's tough to hold off the desire to snap the controller in half. Jumping back and forth to ride on detonating missiles rocketing upward through a massive elevator shaft is a very cool idea, but it's too difficult to be enjoyable. The grating metal soundtrack and awful voice-overs don't help when concentration is the key to your survival.

qnqp88.gif

You've got to learn how to die: Ars reviews Hard Corps. Uprising

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

Teknoman said:
GAF Hard Corps tag

Add the tag, and use the "view friends" options to invite other people for co-op.

Would like to get a PSN chat going for easy matchmaking and things so if you'd like to play add me.

PSN: Sollune

I'll be in the chat whenever I'm on the PS3, I play other things in between but feel free to hit me up, I don't mind dropping what I'm doing to get a game of Hard Corps in.

OP Will be Updated with further info as obtained.

TheSeks said:
1 month exclusive on 360.

MS: dealwithit.gif
I had no idea - must've missed the thread where it was announced. Well, at least it's only one month. Enjoy, 360 owners! I can't wait to play this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Day 1 though i wish the PS3 version was out at the same time.

shagg_187 said:
Naa, Contra is perfectly fine since it's based on Contra Hard Corps.

Can't wait for this as Hard Corp is my favorite Contra!! :D
Unless the wolfman and robot are unlockable, I disagree :mad:

I loved Hard Corps on the Genesis. I suck really bad at it now though.

Instro

FunkyPajamas said:
What is this animu stuff doing in the Gaming side!?

Yeah, I know it's a game :p

Online co-op means I'm very interested.

Yeah jumping to higher platforms before people are ready will be great online.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:
1 month exclusive on 360.

MS: dealwithit.gif

Lol I'm actually pretty happy about this

because this Tuesday I'm getting MvC3 and Tactics Ogre and I'd never play it.

Now I won't miss out on that Day 1 action

Excited as hell for this. Glad it's finally coming out(I was starving for it during the Holidays)

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't even know a new Contra was coming. Do want... sorta...

Edit: Hey, this isn't a new Contra! Foiled!

Even though I dislike Konami (for personal reasons), I'm tempted to get this. Nice to see some developers left that still know how to please a wide variety of gamers and skill levels.

From the GI review:
"The biggest and most exciting change to the franchise is the new RPG-like Rising Mode."
"The hardcore fans that don’t want any handouts can stick to the arcade mode. You start off with set abilities and limited health and lives."

Let's see, legitimate scoring system, check. Leaderboards, check. Lots of variety and boss strategies, check.

Looks like a classic to me.

However, if the game doesn't set your score to 0 after using a continue in arcade mode, I'd find that kind of strange. Just throwing that out there as a potential 'you secretly get 9 lives to score with not 3'.

Ashkeloth

Loving a lot of the main series in Arc System Works' lineup, as well as their "overdriven" anime graphics style and music, I've been interested in this game since the day it was announced.

That said, Marvel's out around the same time as this on XBLA, and I don't personally believe the 360 controller is good for games like this (It's gotta be the D-Pad for Contra), I'll probably wait until the PSN release.

It's sort of funny. If anything, the timed exclusitivity of this game to XBLA is probably screwing Microsoft (and possibly the game itself) over, since a lot of people interested in this game probably also want to get their hands on MvC3.

Victrix

*beard*
Protip: Screens of game instead of random anime bullshit shots. I had no idea what this was until I looked at the links.

Instro

Amir0x said:
I didn't even know a new Contra was coming. Do want... sorta...

Edit: Hey, this isn't a new Contra! Foiled!

Yeah its basically Contra, but apparently they want Hard Corps to be a separate franchise.

It's Contra but not named Contra; similar to how Infinity Ward wanted MW2 to not have COD name on it.

Also, Contra name creates awareness for this awesomeness!

Oh and yes, OP should add screens under 'Gameplay'.

Victrix said:
Protip: Screens of game instead of random anime bullshit shots. I had no idea what this was until I looked at the links.

OP will be updated as is mentioned there.

posting from phone, so what can be done is limited at the moment.

Top Bottom