• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European console installed base revealed (as of Dec 2010)

FrankT

114m current-gen machines on the market, says data from GameStop and IDG

A clear picture of the total number of consoles sold in Europe has emerged today.

According to IDG data released by GameStop, the active European games console market in total is around 153m units.

114m of that are current gen machines, which breaks down like this:

- 14.7 million Sony PlayStation 3 units
- 24.9 million Nintendo Wii units
- 13.7 million Microsoft Xbox 360 units
- 14.8 million Sony PSP units
- 46 million Nintendo DS units

The numbers are actually as of December 2010, so you can assume they have risen a touch since.

But it is otherwise interesting reading. It's often difficult to pin down concurrent market sizes due to the format holders' differing timings on financial announcements, and the vagaries of shipped vs sold stats made public

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43768/European-console-installed-base-revealed#after_ad

Can get some nice rounded numbers for the big three now.

For reference if anyone wants to compare;

This is what I'm getting using NPD data from Dec and the last MC thread of Dec;

Wii: 67.89M
360: 40.54M
PS3: 36.24M

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Heh, more PSPs then 360s. Or PS3s for that matter. Are software sales of PSP titles any good in Europe?

TheOddOne said:
Still 360 aint selling as bad as people say, but yeah Nintendo it prints money.

Yup, so much for Europe being the PS3's stronghold, only 1 million more than 360 and a whopping 10.2 million behind the Wii. How does that compare to PS2?

DaBuddaDa

GarthVaderUK said:
Yup, so much for Europe being the PS3's stronghold, only 1 million more than 360 and a whopping 10.2 million behind the Wii. How does that compare to PS2?
Mainland Europe. A big chunk of those Xbox 360 sales are attributed to the UK where the 360 is king.

shock33

Drkirby said:
Heh, more PSPs then 360s. Or PS3s for that matter. Are software sales of PSP titles any good in Europe?

There's sales of PSP software in Europe???

Anecdotally, no, no they're not.

[Nintex]

GarthVaderUK said:
Back in 2006 the number 40 million was thrown around. So probably more close to DS than Wii.

DaBuddaDa said:
Mainland Europe. A big chunk of those Xbox 360 sales are attributed to the UK where the 360 is king.
But don't the non-mainland Europe countries sell such low numbers that they're almost insignificant? I've had this thought in my mind that PS3 was rolling the 360 in Europe, like 3 or 4 million ahead or something lol. Even counting those smaller countries... let's be generous and give them 500k more there, that's only 1.5 mil more than the 360. I wonder if Kinect caused the 360 to close the gap a little (doubtful lol). There probably just wasn't a big gap to begin with.

Suzzopher

[Nintex] said:
Back in 2006 the number 40 million was thrown around. So probably more close to DS than Wii.

Yeah, I think I remember seeing that back in 2006.

Wonder if Microsoft will ever bother with the rest of Europe? I mean, when I am in our place in France(South near Nice) the 360 has as much shelf space as PSP in the UK.

I guess we don't have comparative data from last-gen at the same point in time, right?

Still, it's great the finally get a chance to glimpse at the bigger picture: 360-ps3 are really close. Further, not needed proof that nothing can change in this gen.

Hanmik

GarthVaderUK said:

X360 launched in Europe on December 2, 2005.
PS3 launched in Europe on March 23, 2007.

thats a 14 months headstart the X360 had, and still the PS3 is a million units ahead in sales..
Take this stuff into the equation, then you see why Europe is called Sony-land..

DaBuddaDa

Heavy said:
But don't the non-mainland Europe countries sell such low numbers that they're almost insignificant? I've had this thought in my mind that PS3 was rolling the 360 in Europe, like 3 or 4 million ahead or something lol. Even counting those smaller countries... let's be generous and give them 500k more there, that's only 1.5 mil more than the 360. I wonder if Kinect caused the 360 to close the gap a little (doubtful lol).
I was just trying to burn down the strawman before the the typical shitstorm of sales numbers fanboyism invades the thread as always. The numbers are what they are, but nobody credible ever says the PS3 is "way ahead" in Europe as a whole, but specifically mainland Europe. The numbers change drastically when you include the UK.

Curufinwe

get2sammyb said:
The PS3 is like 15 months behind the XBOX 360 in Europe too, right?

Yeah, the 360's EU release date was December 2, 2005 and the PS3 was released on 23 March 2007 in mainland Europe. So the PS3 is only just four years old in Europe.

spons

Gold Member
Yeah Europe is Sony minded even though Sony doesn't give a shit about the continent with both the PSP and PS3 being released there ages later than in the rest of the world.

Suzzopher

DaBuddaDa said:
I was just trying to burn down the strawman before the the typical shitstorm of sales numbers fanboyism invades the thread as always. The numbers are what they are, but nobody credible ever says the PS3 is "way ahead" in Europe as a whole, but specifically mainland Europe. The numbers change drastically when you include the UK.

Exactly, if you look at the UK, the 360 would be a couple of million ahead at least, with PS3 being further ahead across mainland Europe.

Still, not exactly great numbers when you consider the PS2 at the same stage of life was sitting at 40 million.

GarthVaderUK said:

Don't tell me you seriously expected the PS3 to be anywhere near the Wii. Come on.

PS3 number is notable because it launched around a year and a half behind the 360 there and has always been at a considerable price disadvantage, especially in the UK (incidentally where the 360 is strongest in Europe).

Its only called 'Sony-land' when we compare Microsoft and Sony there. Everywhere is Nintendo-land. They have everywhere sewn up.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Hanmik said:
X360 launched in Europe on December 2, 2005.
PS3 launched in Europe on March 23, 2007.

wow, it's a wonder the console even survived with it being that late to the market, and at a considerably higher price point too.

Hanmik

GarthVaderUK said:
Europe is clearly Nintendoland by a large margin...

you could say that about every part of the world..

Z1ekd.jpg

milanbaros

Member?
Heavy said:
But don't the non-mainland Europe countries sell such low numbers that they're almost insignificant? I've had this thought in my mind that PS3 was rolling the 360 in Europe, like 3 or 4 million ahead or something lol. Even counting those smaller countries... let's be generous and give them 500k more there, that's only 1.5 mil more than the 360. I wonder if Kinect caused the 360 to close the gap a little (doubtful lol). There probably just wasn't a big gap to begin with.

What he means is that non UK Europe from the launch of the PS3 it has probably sold quite a bit more than the 360.

FrankT

Chinner said:
So how do the WW numbers stand at the end of Dec 2010 then?

Using current data I'm getting around 4.1M WW difference between PS3 and 360, which is probably close to a million difference in the shipping numbers. Not sure about Wii. Need up to date numbers from NPD as I think mine are off a month. Would have to go back to Dec, but I doubt that is off much.

EagleEyes

lowrider007 said:
wow, it's a wonder the console even survived with it being that late to the market, and at a considerably higher price point too.
Are you kidding me? Sony owned the last two gens all around the world. It's not like the PS3 was some upstart console trying to make it in the biz.

DaBuddaDa

gregor7777 said:
Well, right. The rest of us get that but for some reason there's this group who still touts Europe as Sony-land.
Because in MAINLAND Europe the PS3 consistently outsells the Xbox 360.

offshore

Fair play to Sony holding their price in the UK.

God knows if I was SCE UK boss I'd have officially gone to £199 a year ago.

Curufinwe

lowrider007 said:

You think US $599 was a high launch price, try £425.

mintylurb

DaBuddaDa said:
/me looks at the thread.. too late..;<

RedStep

The Extractor said:
360 in last place where it belongs. How many of them are still working?

From the last solid numbers we got, about 15 or so.

If it weren't for that 14,000:1 attach ratio, the thing would be off the market by now.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
EagleEyes said:
Are you kidding me? Sony owned the last two gens all around the world. It's not like the PS3 was some upstart console trying to make it in the biz.

But a year and a half late to the market in the EU, really, and the very expensive price point?, ok maybe I was exaggerating a little with my post but the PS3 has done amazingly well in the EU considering this.

LosDaddie

Banned
So Europe is clearly Nintendo-Land and the X360 v PS3 gap is really quite small. Good numbers overall.

Suzzopher said:
Still, not exactly great numbers when you consider the PS2 at the same stage of life was sitting at 40 million.

Yup, and such should be the main point here.

Top Bottom