• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European console installed base revealed (as of Dec 2010)

[Nintex]

Josh7289 said:
These numbers don't seem right. They seem too low.
No, they're right. EU sales have gone down ever since the Wii and DS peaked with the occasional spike during price drops or releases like Kinect. The real gaming market in Europe is on the PC even more so these days with stuff like Farmville. The only consoles/handhelds that were ever close to being a dominant factor are the Game Boy, Mega Drive, PS2 and DS. Wii was well under way to beat all previous records untill Nintendo totally dropped the ball.

Considering the saturation of the PS2 across Europe, Microsoft must be happy.

The year or so head start statement is irrelevant, an impressive performance for the Xbox 360.

LQX

[Nintex] said:
No, they're right. EU sales have gone down ever since the Wii and DS peaked with the occasional spike during price drops or releases like Kinect. The real gaming market in Europe is on the PC even more so these days with stuff like Farmville. The only consoles/handhelds that were ever close to being a dominant factor are the Game Boy, Mega Drive, PS2 and DS. Wii was well under way to beat all previous records untill Nintendo totally dropped the ball.
How is the PC considered dominant in Europe? I never really here much praise of PC games selling big in Europe.

[Nintex]

LQX said:
How is the PC considered dominant in Europe? I never really here much praise of PC games selling big in Europe.
We're not talking about games being sold. Loads of games are played online on free gaming sites. I know that the gaming industry likes to divide everything into small market segments so they can ignore other elephants in the room.

[Nintex]

Penguin said:
Odd to see that the PSP has outsold the Ps3 in most markets, but is considered the bigger failure.
Depends on who you ask. There's also the software market which is totally dead on PSP outside Japan.

Micius

DoctorWho said:
What about a fully powered handheld that can be hooked up to your television for full 1080p gaming and controller support?

It certainly could be done.

Yeah, the PSP2 seems to be ahead of the Wii in terms of graphics so 1080p output from a handheld certainly seems plausible in a few years. A setup that has you placing your handheld in a docking station to hook it up with the TV/monitor with a wireless controller for home use could be a viable possibility as a future home console/portable fusion system.

StuBurns

Banned
More than a year head start, constantly cheaper hardware and better versions of almost every multiplatform game, and still a little behind PS3? It's pretty surprising. I thought PS3 was only ahead of 360 in Japan.

Ok one thing though, are we talking about ALL OF EUROPE or the countries that are in the EUROPEAN UNION? like does it has a list of countries that the numbers are taken from. Because all year is the same, they say EUROPE but at the end it is always like 4 countries: UK, SPAIN, FRANCE and GERMANY.

snap0212

Heavy said:
If you think about it many of our U.S. states are bigger than lots of European countries. I guess there's the language barrier going from country to country, though. Also the population.
The language barrier? *_*

StuBurns said:
More than a year head start, constantly cheaper hardware and better versions of almost every multiplatform game, and still a little behind PS3? It's pretty surprising.

Not at all when you take previous generations into consideration.

snap0212

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Yeah there ain´t one, everyone in europe speaks spanish :)
I know, I know. The language barrier is still certainly not the reason why we don't get numbers on a regular basis.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Clearly Sony Land. Look at those numbers, PS3 is absolutely trashing the 360 and making the Wii look like a fools errand.

edit: Sarcasm for those who didn't get it. I've been hearing about how the PS3 is huge in Europe, for the last 4 years.

StuBurns

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Not at all when you take previous generations into consideration.
I guess that's true, I've never really bought into the concept of brand loyalty, and I think the US has shown very little of it this generation (and those are really the only numbers that I often see) but I guess it's a regional thing.

StuBurns said:
More than a year head start, constantly cheaper hardware and better versions of almost every multiplatform game, and still a little behind PS3? It's pretty surprising. I thought PS3 was only ahead of 360 in Japan.

Such a prediction would have got you locked up last generation.

MMaRsu

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Much smaller gap between 360 and PS3 than I was led to believe.

Ofcourse, 360 actually sells really good. I meet so many people here who have a 360, it's ridiculous people think the 360 doesn't sell well in Europe.

Except in Spain and France ofcourse.

Why For?

Banned
Wow, if you believed SonyGAF you'd have thought the 360 was 87 million behind the PS3 in Europe.

So either the 360 isn't doing that bad across all of Europe or the UK is just eating 360s for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The recent PAL Charts thread leads me to believe the former given Homefront's performance on 360 in both Italy and France.

StuBurns said:
I guess that's true, I've never really bought into the concept of brand loyalty, and I think the US has shown very little of it this generation (and those are really the only numbers that I often see) but I guess it's a regional thing.

It's not only brand loyalty (although there's some of that as well), it's also a question of infrastructure. Being here for far longer, Sony is present in some smaller countries in which there's still no official Xbox 360 support whatsoever. Every little bit helps.

Sykra

Why For? said:
The recent PAL Charts thread leads me to believe the former given Homefront's performance on 360 in both Italy and France.

I suppose you draw the same conclusions when a multiplatform game sells more on ps3 in the US once a year or something?

With the time the 360 has been on the market compared to the PS3 and the Wii, I think people are just fooling themselves into thinking that's a good number.
Sure it's only about a million below the PS3, but it came out a year before and the 360 has always been cheaper than the PS3. And I guess a good slice of that number belongs to the UK. It's even worse when you see the big picture and realise the PS3 sold less than half the Wii did. I won't say they both failed, but they're not anywhere near close of disputing market leadership.

I said this once and I'll say it again: It's not that Europe is Sony land. It's Microsoft subsidiaries, to be more specific the ones located in mainland Europe, that just still don't know what it means to be an entertainment company. The way they manage the Xbox business gives me the perception that it's something that's being forced on them and that they would be much happier without it.

Why For?

Banned
Sykra said:
I suppose you draw the same conclusions when a multiplatform game sells more on ps3 in the US once a year or something?

Not necessarily, but surely the UK can't be buying THAT many 360s can they?

2San

MMaRsu said:
Ofcourse, 360 actually sells really good. I meet so many people here who have a 360, it's ridiculous people think the 360 doesn't sell well in Europe.

I reckon PS3's and x360's are even in the Netherlands. I know as many ps3 owners as I do xbox 360 owners. Though none of those ps3 owners play online. Which made the 360 my go to machine.

Oh damn I too was under the impression the 360 was way behind overall in Europe. All in all, marketshare wise, the 360 has been a HUGE success in all territories including Japan.

With that said I'm still confused as to why people put so much into who outsells who each generation. For instance you're telling me if SONY does manage to outsell the 360 this generation its a victory even though SONY has drastically lost a ton of marketshare? Sorry, but it just seems kind of silly to me.

coldvein

Banned
i'm going to come off as ignorant or a fanboy or something, but this Wii business is OUT OF HAND. i've only touched a Wii one time ffs. what is going on here!? i feel like gaming has moved on and left me behind. :(

Why For?

Banned
Mizzou Gaming said:
Oh damn I too was under the impression the 360 was way behind overall in Europe. All in all, marketshare wise, the 360 has been a HUGE success in all territories including Japan.

With that said I'm still confused as to why people put so much into who outsells who each generation. For instance you're telling me if SONY does manage to outsell the 360 this generation its a victory even though SONY has drastically lost a ton of marketshare? Sorry, but it just seems kind of silly to me.

Microsoft achieved their aim regardless.

Sony's lead went from over 100 million to a 30 million deficit and 4 million deficit respectively.

Damage is done even if Sony manages to pull ahead by a mill or two long AFTER a normal generational cycel has come and gone (ie. now, which they haven't).

SneakyStephan said:
Then there's the fact that DS is a toy, priced like a toy.
It's something a parent can easily pick up on a whim for their child

Would it blow your mind to know that a 360 in the UK is cheaper than a DS?

Would it further blow your mind to know that the 360 is also a toy?

MMaRsu

Banned
sechsterangriff said:
With the time the 360 has been on the market compared to the PS3 and the Wii, I think people are just fooling themselves into thinking that's a good number.
Sure it's only about a million below the PS3, but it came out a year before and the 360 has always been cheaper than the PS3. And I guess a good slice of that number belongs to the UK. It's even worse when you see the big picture and realise the PS3 sold less than half the Wii did. I won't say they both failed, but they're not anywhere near close of disputing market leadership.

I said this once and I'll say it again: It's not that Europe is Sony land. It's Microsoft subsidiaries, to be more specific the ones located in mainland Europe, that just still don't know what it means to be an entertainment company. The way they manage the Xbox business gives me the perception that it's something that's being forced on them and that they would be much happier without it.

I think the 'low' number can be attributed to hardware failure and word of mouth about that. Also the fact that a lot of people were waiting on a Ps3, or waiting for it to get cheaper.

MMaRsu said:

And thats even changing. Leaving this gen Nintendo out of the equation, sony had really good numbers in spain, 360 didnt sell shit, then something change, and 360 started to sell. Sony continues winning, but its a fact that 360 is selling much better know and its looked with much better eyes that in the start of the generation, were even with out the next gen rivals microsoft was selling really badly.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Why For? said:
Not necessarily, but surely the UK can't be buying THAT many 360s can they?

Last ltd sales figure for the 360 in the UK was 3.9 million June 2009. It sold 1.3 around million in 2010 so it should be around 6 million now.

Found this old chart with some last gen Europe numbers floating around on my hard drive (probably got it here, sorry to whoever made it for not remembering!), interesting to see how things have changed this gen:

otkobr.jpg

Clott

Woah, the 360 is so far ahead in the states? good for them.

I am also pretty shocked that after such a late launch the PS3 managed to beat the 360 is Europe. Do we have any numbers for japan?

EagleEyes

GarthVaderUK said:
Found this old chart with some last gen numbers floating around on my hard drive (probably got it here, sorry to whoever made it for not remembering!), interesting to see how things have changed this gen:

otkobr.jpg
Wow, talk about a turnaround for Nintendo and Microsoft.

Hanmik said:
X360 launched in Europe on December 2, 2005.
PS3 launched in Europe on March 23, 2007.

thats a 14 months headstart the X360 had, and still the PS3 is a million units ahead in sales..
Take this stuff into the equation, then you see why Europe is called Sony-land..

Because Sony supporters are delusional and like to conveniently ignore that the Wii is stomping them both?

Top Bottom