• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European console installed base revealed (as of Dec 2010)

Canova

Banned
GarthVaderUK said:
Yup, so much for Europe being the PS3's stronghold, only 1 million more than 360 and a whopping 10.2 million behind the Wii. How does that compare to PS2?

Mainland Europe IS PS3 stronghold.

- PS3 launched 15 months behind 360
- PS3 trailed 360 in the UK significantly

and yet despite all of that, PS3 still leads 360 in overall Europe number

herod

Canova said:
Mainland Europe IS PS3 stronghold.

- PS3 launched 15 months behind 360
- PS3 trailed 360 in the UK significantly

and yet despite all of that, PS3 still leads 360 in overall Europe number

Just stop it.

- 14.7 million Sony PlayStation 3 units
- 24.9 million Nintendo Wii units
- 13.7 million Microsoft Xbox 360 units

Shiggy

Heavy said:
But don't the non-mainland Europe countries sell such low numbers that they're almost insignificant? I've had this thought in my mind that PS3 was rolling the 360 in Europe, like 3 or 4 million ahead or something lol. Even counting those smaller countries... let's be generous and give them 500k more there, that's only 1.5 mil more than the 360. I wonder if Kinect caused the 360 to close the gap a little (doubtful lol). There probably just wasn't a big gap to begin with.

I don't think Kinect is a huge success in mainland Europe. In Germany, Kinect prices fell from 149 € to 110-120 € (at one point even to 99 €) shortly after release already.

Carl

herod said:
Just stop it.

Maybe you didn't notice that everyone is referring to 360/PS3?

GarthVaderUK said:
Yup, so much for Europe being the PS3's stronghold, only 1 million more than 360 and a whopping 10.2 million behind the Wii. How does that compare to PS2?

Hmmm 360 had a year on ps3 and at one point was more or less half the price of a ps3. So the fact its ahead at all is a massive plus to sony. Id love to know ms ad spend in europe more ro the uk as nearly every ad for third party games has the 360 logo at the end.

Canova

Banned
herod said:
Just stop it.

I was speaking in context PS3/360.... besides, who else is still playing Wii nowadays?

Paracelsus

TheOddOne said:
I think your talking about the 360 vs PS3 ratio, right? If Europe is such a "stronghold" why isn't the gap significly larger? Also Nintendo.

16 months difference ain't a joke, given Sony lost at least other six months because of the 599€ fiasco. If anything, it shows how shitty XBOX360 performance is in continental Europe.

herod

Canova said:
I was speaking in context PS3/360.... besides, who else is still playing Wii nowadays?
Apparently 48% of people according to some recent survey. Puts them close to those numbers even assuming that PS3 and 360 are at 100% utilisation.

WillyFive

Canova said:

That's stupid. Why would you limit the industry to just PS3/360?

And I'm pretty sure plenty of people are playing the Wii....it's not like it doesn't exist.

Sony beating Xbox but still so many excuses as to why it's only a million. It's a lot tighter than people would have us believe whenever an npd thread devolves into a worldwide sales argument.

Sadist

Willy105 said:
And I'm pretty sure plenty of people are playing the Wii....it's not like it doesn't exist.
It's been almost five years and still people think its all a bad dream :'D

Kurtofan

Willy105 said:
That's stupid. Why would you limit the industry to just PS3/360?

BUT THE DUST!!!11111
Seriously even if it were true, how can someone purposedly ignore a console that sells ten millions more?
I'm sure as fuck Sony doesn't.

TheOddOne

Paracelsus said:
16 months difference ain't a joke, given Sony lost at least other six months because of the 599€ fiasco. If anything, it shows how shitty XBOX360 performance is in continental Europe.
But that leads back to the question I was asking, if its such a "stronghold" why isn't it selling significly more?

acm2000

WW LTD roughly

PS3 - 36.5m (NO, YLOD does NOT count towards these figures)
360 - 40.5m (NO, RROD does NOT count towards these figures)
Wii - 70.4m (NO, being used as a DOORSTOP does not count towards these figures)
DS - 125.6m (excluding 3ds)

also, stop comparing and calling each company a failure, by the end of this gen, we will have 3 x 50m+ selling consoles, thats amazing

edit: added clarification before the funny farm starts and the idiots come out, these only include Europe, USA, and Japan remember, DS will have clearly sold gazillions in other countries, although ps3 and 360 wont be nearly as many, maybe a couple million here and there

TheOddOne said:
If Europe is such a "stronghold" why isn't the gap significly larger? Also Nintendo.

I think the fact that it launched 15 months later than the 360 and that its cheapest model has ALWAYS been considerably more expensive than the most expensive 360 model, tells us that there is a lot of brand loyalty to Sony.

Nintendo own everyone everywhere and that's not debatable. Sony and Microsoft have failed hard in comparison to Nintendo, who at times seemed like they weren't even trying.

Canova said:
i think you need to look up sales of Wii software in Europe.

start with these two words. 'Just Dance'. have fun!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
LosDaddie said:
Why are people ignoring the Wii?

Maybe because even at launch it cost about the same as a packet of monster munch crisps (pickled onion bty), at that price it's hard to say no.

Yeah, I'm getting confused about mainland and such.

Also, should it matter the PS3 launched 16 months later? That's their fault. All that matters is the numbers and it's only a million ahead. Let's say this gen ends in the Fall of 2013 when the new consoles launch... PS3 might have like a 3 million lead in Europe by then, which is what I thought it had now lol. By the way, how come the European market is so secretive with numbers?

LosDaddie

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Maybe because even at launch it cost about the same as a packet of monster munch crisps (pickled onion bty), at that price it's hard to say no.

That's a stupid reason to ignore the Wii.

TheOddOne

Galvanise_ said:
I think the fact that it launched 15 months later than the 360 and that its cheapest model has ALWAYS been considerably more expensive than the most expensive 360 model, tells us that there is a lot of brand loyalty to Sony.

Nintendo own everyone everywhere and that's not debatable. Sony and Microsoft have failed hard in comparison to Nintendo, who at times seemed like they weren't even trying.
Yes, thanks for explaining.

Paracelsus

TheOddOne said:
But that leads back to the question I was asking, if its such a "stronghold" why isn't it selling significly more?

Because it's not the console of the generation, obvious answer. Europe isn't Sonyland not even remotely, it still helped Sony keeping PS3 afloat during times in which Japan and US did give less than a f*** about PS3 (even less than now).

Balb

lowrider007 said:

This is rock solid logic.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The Wii is still a games console, its sales still matter, stop ignoring it to prove your biased points. Jeez.

LQX

Wow, so all those people that use to jump into NPD threads flaunting EU PS3 numbers were full of shit? Expected the PS3 to be ahead by a few million the way they get on. I guess now all they will say is well the 360 had a head start, like I have already see a few doing.

herod

Heavy said:
how come the European market is so secretive with numbers?
It's probably just far more difficult to find them out. Each country will have its own retail chains, online shops, etc.

Dystify

acm2000 said:
WW LTD roughly

PS3 - 36.5m
360 - 40.5m
Wii - 70.4m

also, stop comparing and calling each company a failure, by the end of this gen, we will have 3 x 50m+ selling consoles, thats amazing
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on GAF the DS is rather close to 150mill now, or am I wrong?

Heavy said:
Yeah, I'm getting confused about mainland and such.

Also, should it matter the PS3 launched 16 months later? That's their fault. All that matters is the numbers and it's only a million ahead. Let's say this gen ends in the Fall of 2013 when the new consoles launch... PS3 might have like a 3 million lead in Europe by then, which is what I thought it had now lol. By the way, how come the European market is so secretive with numbers?

What of course it should mater its 16 month behide lol. It shows the speed in which its outsold a much cheaper much more advertised system despite going on sale 16 months later.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
LosDaddie said:
That's a stupid reason to ignore the Wii.

I was kinda joking :-(

But saying that I don't always think it's prevalent to judge the success of a product or company based off the market leader, I think Sony have been very successful in the EU considering their set backs, and those set backs continue even today with a still higher price point and an inferior on-line service but yet the PS3 continues to do well in the EU.

Carl

LosDaddie said:
Why are people ignoring the Wii?

Because Ninty is top EVERYWHERE. We already knew that, we didn't need these numbers to tell us. No one will overtake the wii this gen. 360/PS3 is much closer WW, so i guess that's why they're the two being compared.

Hanmik

This is how it is in Europe... (my gif skills sucks so I cannot edit the names onto the persons).. John Terry is X360, Red Liverpool player is Playstation 3.. the little kid is Wii..

ESNk7.gif

Canova

Banned
acm2000 said:
WW LTD roughly

PS3 - 36.5m
360 - 40.5m
Wii - 70.4m

those numbers are just EU, NA, and Japan, what about the rest of the world?

based on Nintendo, MS, and Sony shipped number as of Jan 11
360 = 50.9M
PS3 = 47.9M
Wii = is somehwere in 85M or something

Galvanise_ said:

Nintendo not trying cost them at one time it was looking to be best selling home console in history . Now it's not even going to past PS2.
Next gen going to be fun to watch in EU but i think Sony going have the edge compare to MS . Nintendo is a wild card.

lowrider007 said:
I was kinda joking :-(

But saying that I don't always think it's prevalent to judge the success of a product or company based off the market leader, I think Sony have been very successful in the EU considering their set backs.

Yep at launch you could more or less get a wii and a 360 for the price of a ps3. That £425 price tag was fucking nuts and held them back big time. Imho its still too high at around £240-250.

FrankT

Galvanise_ said:
Sony and Microsoft have a fuck ton of stock in warehouses then.

Canada is probably a couple of million give or take on each side and AU if not counted with these number(not totally sure) would likely add a million as well each side. Then I guess add in all the countries that are never counted still probably a decent gap for each. Stock on shelves of course. What is the total shipment for Wii's at for this point? Did they say 80 million? As that would be a pretty big difference as well.

Canova said:
those numbers are just EU, NA, and Japan, what about the rest of the world?

based on Nintendo, MS, and Sony shipped number as of Jan 11
360 = 50.9M
PS3 = 47.9M
Wii = is somehwere in 85M or something

85? That would be an even bigger gap than the rest by a lot.

Canova

Banned
Hanmik said:
This is how it is in Europe... (my gif skills sucks so I cannot edit the names onto the persons).. John Terry is X360, Red Liverpool player is Playstation 3.. the little kid is Wii..

ESNk7.gif

lol .... little brat

Top Bottom