• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European console installed base revealed (as of Dec 2010)

offshore

supermackem said:
Imho its still too high at around £240-250.
Ain't that the truth. Be interesting to see if the PS3 has a big surge in the UK when it finally, officially gets to £199...or lower.

is this another thread where we pretend that the PS3 and 360 have been selling uniformly in Europe since their releases, and that you can extrapolate the monthly figures forwards and have that 1 million gap grow linearly over the next couple of years?

i hope not because those threads make me want to break things.

herod

LQX said:
Wow, so all those people that use to jump into NPD threads flaunting EU PS3 numbers were full of shit? Expected the PS3 to be ahead by a few million the way they get on. I guess now all they will say is well the 360 had a head start, like I have already see a few doing.

Don't forget, the next gen didn't start until Sony said so. You need to deduct 16 months of sales from the 360 total.

LosDaddie

Banned
lowrider007 said:
But saying that I don't always think it's prevalent to judge the success of a product or company based off the market leader, I think Sony have been very successful in the EU considering their set backs.

Sony was the (undisputed) market leader until this gen.

So yes, it's actually quite an apt comparison.

Carl said:
Because Ninty is top EVERYWHERE. We already knew that, we didn't need these numbers to tell us. No one will overtake the wii this gen. 360/PS3 is much closer WW, so i guess that's why they're the two being compared.

Still not a good reason to ignore the Wii. It competes for the same money the HD twins do.

Canova

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Canada is probably a couple of million give or take on each side and AU if not counted with these number(not totally sure) would likely add a million as well each side. Then I guess add in all the countries that are never counted still probably a decent gap for each. Stock on shelves of course. What is the total shipment for Wii's at for this point? Did they say 80 million? As that would be a pretty big difference as well.

85? That would be an even bigger gap than the rest by a lot.

yeah I think so, 84M or 85M something like that, any sales-guru can help out?

Hanmik

plagiarize said:
is this another thread where we pretend that the PS3 and 360 have been selling uniformly in Europe since their releases, and that you can extrapolate the monthly figures forwards and have that 1 million gap grow linearly over the next couple of years?

i hope not because those threads make me want to break things.

you just broke my brain with your first sentence...

Paracelsus

Yeah, it seems hard to believe rest of the world accounts to 9-10 millions of consoles -especially looking at European LTDs-, it feels more like overship-galore.

EagleEyes

supermackem said:
What of course it should mater its 16 month behide lol. It shows the speed in which its outsold a much cheaper much more advertised system despite going on sale 16 months later.
What about the fact that one company sold over 130 million consoles last gen and the other one sold 24 million. The fact we are talking about 1 million difference in the year 2011 is amazing, just amazing.

GregLombardi said:
Yeah. Handhelds are the future. I just hope they get huge screens or something...

What about a fully powered handheld that can be hooked up to your television for full 1080p gaming and controller support?

It certainly could be done.

offshore said:
Ain't that the truth. Be interesting to see if the PS3 has a big surge in the UK when it finally, officially gets to £199...or lower.

Indeed. We have to consider several things:

• Sony have never done an excellent job of explaining everything the PS3 can do. They could have picked up more people if people knew what it was capable of.
  • For the people who don't give a shit about all the extras - people are price sensitive and there are cheaper alternatives in the Wii and 360.
  • The current financial climate in the UK is making everyone more price concious. This is precisely the time when Sony need to expand into the casual audience, but they have the least casual gamer friendly price.

herod said:
It's probably just far more difficult to find them out. Each country will have its own retail chains, online shops, etc.
If you think about it many of our U.S. states are bigger than lots of European countries. I guess there's the language barrier going from country to country, though. Also the population.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I had something to say, but I think a few other posters say it best. Cognitive Dissonance. These numbers have now been used to either prove shortcomings and success.

Mael

gundamkyoukai said:
Nintendo not trying cost them at one time it was looking to be best selling home console in history . Now it's not even going to past PS2.
Next gen going to be fun to watch in EU but i think Sony going have the edge compare to MS . Nintendo is a wild card.

which is actually what people said in 2005....
Seriously though DS has been by far and wide the most successful thing Nintendo ever did in Europe, it's unfair to put Wii beside it since they made some obvious mistakes with it (Wii Music really?).
Heck even Sony had its share of good marketing (the whole let's pack 2 bluray with the system early on really helped the hardware moving).
MSFT? Well it's been seen here as mostly the gamers stigma console with its violant shooters and all that.
They've already done better with the Wii than they've done with most of their other products (NES/SNES/N64/GC). They could have done better but it's not like it hasn't been gravvy for them now.

Suzzopher

DoctorWho said:
What about a fully powered handheld that can be hooked up to your television for full 1080p gaming and controller support?

It certainly could be done.

It's the future I dream of.

Thought you were Galvanise_, too many Ponds :x

herod

Heavy said:
If you think about it many of our U.S. states are bigger than lots of European countries. I guess there's the language barrier going from country to country, though. Also the population.

Yeah, but surely the bulk of figures can be obtained from a few huge retail chains? No such thing in Europe.

EagleEyes said:
What about the fact that one company sold over 130 million consoles last gen and the other one sold 24 million. The fact we are talking about 1 million difference in the year 2011 is amazing, just amazing.

Not really at 600 everyone with some common sense knew they were fucked.
They lucky they sell as much as they did in EU at that price , coming out 16 months later .
Which help them allot when ps3 was looking like it won't even reach GC numbers in Japan and NA.

Hanmik said:
This is how it is in Europe... (my gif skills sucks so I cannot edit the names onto the persons).. John Terry is X360, Red Liverpool player is Playstation 3.. the little kid is Wii..

http://i.imgur.com/ESNk7.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
lol that gif is hilarious

It's better unedited. :p

Why do people keep saying 'handhelds are the future'.
For starters there are only 2 products competing : DS and PSP, vs wii/ps3/360/pc.

Then there's the fact that DS is a toy, priced like a toy.
It's something a parent can easily pick up on a whim for their child, whereas spending 200-500 dollars (release -> now) is hardly impulse buy territory.

I've been tempted to pick up a DS on a bored afternoon so many times ,because it's cheap as chips (I'm going to guess that the r4 chip is going to contribute to sales too).

I picked up my psp on a whim back in 2006.

Consoles and handhelds both fill their own niche anyhow, you people talk as if they are competing with eachother.

Hanmik said:
you just broke my brain with your first sentence...
sorry.

here's what i was trying to say, while it definately says something of the PS3's performance compared to the 360 that it has reversed the 360's 18 month lead... to just look at how long they've been on the market and how much they've sold in those respective times can't really help you make any predictions.

we know from the UK that throughout 2010 that xbox 360 sales were increasing and PS3 sales were decreasing, for example. it's plausible that the PS3s lead on the 360 in europe decreased last year, for example, spurred on by the Slim 360 and Kinect.

that's all. i mean, when the PS3 slim launched, that had a massive impact. when the 360 slim launch that had an impact, and kinect had a massive impact. the more years we add into the equation the less information we get that we can make predictions from.

EagleEyes

gundamkyoukai said:
Not really at 600 everyone with some common sense knew they were fucked.
They lucky they sell as much as they did in EU at that price , coming out 16 months later .
Which help them allot when ps3 was looking like it won't even reach GC numbers in Japan and NA.
Who's fault was it that it launched at 600 and 16 months later?

FrankT

AwRy108 said:
Amazed at how the PS3 caught up to the 360 in both US and Europe.

Say again there is over a 10 million gap in the US. Even combining the two western territories it is still 9 million.

EagleEyes said:
Who's fault was it that it launched at 600 and 16 months later?

Sony of course but my point was it's not amazing that they got out sold or numbers are close.
When Sony said 600 at E3 i know they were going to be last place this gen.
I like Sony systems but anyone that said look PS2 sold 130 million means PS3 going to do good should have wipe that idea out there head when they saw the price.
Sony lucky that this gen going to last longer so they can sell more PS3.

shock33 said:
There's sales of PSP software in Europe???

Anecdotally, no, no they're not.

Sorry man, but here in Spain people bought more PSP software than 360 software in the last year.

- PSP --- 1.730.000 (+ 12%)
- Xbox 360 --- 1.515.000 (+ 15%)

I know PSP software doesn't sell A LOT, especially in the US, but it does sell here, at least as good as 360 software. That isn't much though.

Heavy said:
Yeah, I'm getting confused about mainland and such.

Also, should it matter the PS3 launched 16 months later? That's their fault. All that matters is the numbers and it's only a million ahead. Let's say this gen ends in the Fall of 2013 when the new consoles launch... PS3 might have like a 3 million lead in Europe by then, which is what I thought it had now lol. By the way, how come the European market is so secretive with numbers?

It just shows that the PS3 is selling significantley more as it is ahead by a million after launching a year and a half late and costing nearly twice as much. But yeah Japan is where Sony is way ahead of Microsoft, not Europe, and I think in the UK Xbox is now a bigger brand than Playstation. The UK follows American trends generally.

I look forward to seeing if Sony has actually learned from this whole mess when they launch the PS4 in a few years.

Jtyettis said:
Say again there is over a 10 million gap in the US. Even combining the two western territories it is still 9 million.

Theres a 10 million gap in the us?, whats ww sales now as ps3 seems to be doing well in jpn and eu.

FrankT

supermackem said:
Theres a 10 million gap in the us?, whats ww sales now as ps3 seems to be doing well in jpn and eu.

Bit over 10 last time I looked yea. I put the WW (well Japan, US and Europe data in the OP). About a 4 million difference WW give or take.

yellowjacket25 said:
Because in system wars people need something to argue about and the Wii is so far ahead that including it ends the argument.

I doubt there were many who ever thought there would a be 31 million gap between Nintendo and Sony 6 years into this gen. That fact is amazing.

mintylurb

LQX said:
Wow, so all those people that use to jump into NPD threads flaunting EU PS3 numbers were full of shit? Expected the PS3 to be ahead by a few million the way they get on. I guess now all they will say is well the 360 had a head start, like I have already see a few doing.
Who are all those people? I need some names now.

Isn't the U.K gaming market bigger than the rest of Euroland? I wonder if folks ever claimed 360 > PS3 in Europe since the 360 overwhelmingly outsells the ps3 in the U.K.

Curufinwe

No, of course it isn't. Just look at the population of the UK versus mainland Europe.

shintoki said:
I had something to say, but I think a few other posters say it best. Cognitive Dissonance. These numbers have now been used to either prove shortcomings and success.

By the same people, or by different people?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
mintylurb said:

Isn't the U.K gaming market bigger than the rest of Euroland? I wonder if folks ever claimed 360 > PS3 in Europe since the 360 overwhelmingly outsells the ps3 in the U.K.

The UK is 27% of the total market value of the 9 biggest EU console markets.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Appollowexx said:
It just shows that the PS3 is selling significantley more as it is ahead by a million after launching a year and a half late and costing nearly twice as much. But yeah Japan is where Sony is way ahead of Microsoft, not Europe, and I think in the UK Xbox is now a bigger brand than Playstation. The UK follows American trends generally.

I look forward to seeing if Sony has actually learned from this whole mess when they launch the PS4 in a few years.

It actually doesn't say much since this is not broken down by year. It very well could be that initially, the 360 sold horrendously as the EU waited on the PS3. It could be that the 360 sold poorly as people in the EU believed the PS3 would be this amazing leap over the 360. It could be that the PS3 has just sold that much better than a good selling 360. It could be that the 360 fell behind by much more earlier and has actually been closing the gap that the PS3 opened up.

So, what does it show??

tzare

mintylurb said:

UK is 27% of euro wester market only considering 9 biggest territories. Europe has also east countries, but i don't know what is happening there XD

pd. beaten

So this numbers seem like estimates, but considering US and Japan gives us those 4 million 360 lead against PS3 WW. Wii just plays NBA while MS and SOny are Euroleague XD

It actually doesn't say much since this is not broken down by year. It very well could be that initially, the 360 sold horrendously as the EU waited on the PS3. It could be that the 360 sold poorly as people in the EU believed the PS3 would be this amazing leap over the 360. It could be that the PS3 has just sold that much better than a good selling 360. It could be that the 360 fell behind by much more earlier and has actually been closing the gap that the PS3 opened up.

So, what does it show??
just compare to US numbers and you will see that , not counting nintendo that as said , are on another level, PS3 sells about the same (a few moths less though) so the market is similar. Just that US is now xboxland.

Reallink

With that many DS's sold, I am shocked the 3DS wasn't completely pre-sold out within minutes, months in advance. The relatively subdued launch and fanfare suggests a lot of people were either not very satisfied with those 46 million units, or Nintendo did something very wrong with the 3DS (be it price, date, design, games, or gimmick).

confuziz

Banned
Reallink said:
With that many DS's sold, I am shocked the 3DS wasn't completely pre-sold out within minutes, months in advance. The relatively subdued launch and fanfare suggests a lot of people were either not very satisfied with those 46 million units, or Nintendo did something very wrong with the 3DS (be it price, date, games, or gimmick).

Have you even considered what type of consumers have a DS? Did you expect grandpa or mom to pre-order a 3DS?

mintylurb

tzare said:
UK is 27% of euro wester market only considering 9 biggest territories. Europe has also east countries, but i don't know what is happening there XD

pd. beaten

So this numbers seem like estimates, but considering US and Japan gives us those 4 million 360 lead against PS3 WW. Wii just plays NBA while MS and SOny are Euroleague XD
How dare you. They gave us the witcher series! ;0

Figured UK > Mainland euroland. Good to know!

Jokeropia

Drkirby said:
Are software sales of PSP titles any good in Europe?
About 1/4th of DS.

40l.jpg

herod said:
Apparently 48% of people according to some recent survey
That survey was most likely bogus.
Mael said:
They've already done better with the Wii than they've done with most of their other products (NES/SNES/N64/GC).
That's an understatement. In fact, Wii has done better in Europe than all of their previous home consoles combined.

Wii_EU

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Reallink said:
Nintendo did something very wrong with the 3DS (be it price, date, design, games, or gimmick).

Very poor launch games imo, no store, poor battery, eye strain, I've bought practically every new popular gaming system released day one but not the 3DS, I'm actually surprised by my lack of interest in the system tbh, I'm still temped to grab an XL.

tzare

mintylurb said:
How dare you. They gave us the witcher series! ;0

Figured UK > Mainland euroland. Good to know!

it would be great to know further , now that Russia and nearby countries are also growing as gaming markets.

That 27% was taken from spanish adese data from latest Euro charts thread btw. It is an aproximation only ;P

From all the European gloating of PS3 sales, I was expecting the gap between the PS3 and 360 to be huge. Nice to know that the gap was around only 1 million in December.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Megadragon15 said:
From all the European gloating of PS3 sales, I was expecting the gap between the PS3 and 360 to be huge. Nice to know that the gap was around only 1 million in December.

Where was all this gloating? I read most of the sales age threads, in fact I would of said it was the other way around to tbh as most people seem to think UK > EU.

mintylurb

tzare said:
it would be great to know further , now that Russia and nearby countries are also growing as gaming markets.

That 27% was taken from spanish adese data from latest Euro charts thread btw. It is an aproximation only ;P
Ahh from spain..so not reliable? ahh I keed.

Top Bottom