• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NCAA BB offseason thread (can Butler make it three in a row and score <30?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
After what many called a down season for college basketball, the NCAA tournament was an exciting affair, filled with a multitude of upsets. Aside from the turrible championship game (men's), it was a great 3 weeks. But it's over now, and we turn our attention to coaching changes, recruiting, allegations of cheating and just who will turn pro.

Congratulations to the champions!

C4dhr.jpg

The University of Connecticut Huskies

xLpbN.jpg

The Texas A&M Aggies

5Ms5X.jpg

Cooter - winner of the gaf bracket challenge

This is a fantastic idea. Subbed.

Even though I'll be the only one bumping it this summer and will probably have something like 10 straight posts by myself. :p

Recent early entries for NBA Draft that have or are hiring agents (aka not coming back)
Kansas - Morris twins and Josh Selby cya
Illinois - Jereme Richmond ('cause he was going to get kicked outta school otherwise)
Duke - Kyrie Irving he gawn

Notable coaching changes so far
Mike Anderson from Missouri to Arkansas
Lon Kruger from UNLV to Oklahoma
Cuonzo Martin from Missouri St. to Tennessee
Frank Haith from Miami to Missouri
Brian Gregory from Dayton to Georgia Tech

The big time Class of 2011 recruits hitting the college bball world this fall*
1. Michael Gilchrist - 6'6 F - Kentucky
2. Anthony Davis - 6'10 F - Kentucky
3. Austin Rivers - 6'3 G - Duke
4. Quincy Miller - 6'9 F - Baylor
5. Bradley Beal - 6'3 G - Florida
6. Marquis Teague - 6'2 PG - Kentucky
7. James McAdoo - 6'8 PF - North Carolina
8. LeBryan Nash - 6'7 F - Oklahoma St.
9. Adonis Thomas - 6'6 F - Memphis
10. Myck Kabongo - 6'2 PG - Texas

*using RSCI rankings which average out all the major recruiting services (last update Sept. '10, final update in June)

My "GMAFB WAY TOO SOON PRESEASON 2011-12 HOOPS POLL"

1. North Carolina
2. Kentucky
3. Ohio State
4. Florida
5. Syracuse, UConn (tie)

So uh yeah, there is some info to get us started. :D

jjasper

I don't think Harris has hired an agent yet.

Edit: And Hopson hasn't said if he has or not, although I think he will.

Pollux

bachikarn said:
Florida will have the best back court in the nation. Deal with it Duke.

You are out of your damn mind. Any back court with Boynton is NOT the best in the nation.

Now Kentucky if Knight comes back, with Lamb and Teague...baller.

bachikarn

zmoney said:

You are out of your damn mind. Any back court with Boynton is NOT the best in the nation.

Now Kentucky if Knight comes back, with Lamb and Teague...baller.

It's more about the addition of Rosario and Beal. Boynton can be an excellent player. Very streaky. Hopefully he becomes more consistent next year.

Pollux

bachikarn said:
It's more about the addition of Rosario and Beal. Boynton can be an excellent player. Very streaky. Hopefully he becomes more consistent next year.

Donovan hasn't been very solid in developing Freshman quickly so we'll see.

Proelite

NBA rumored to have a 20 year old age limit rule in place.
NCAA basketball about to be restored to its former glory.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Proelite said:

Yeah, we'll see. That is if there is an NBA season next year. I'm betting on no.

Silkworm

bachikarn said:
Yeah, +2 for Boynton. I don't think he gets enough credit for the defense he plays either. Sure he is a streaky scorer from the perimeter and I wish he'd attack the hoop more. At least next year there will be more scoring options so he can take his time. He's also really improved in that respect in that he doesn't jack up as many 3s as he used to and plays more within the offense. I think he'll continue to improve in that respect, though I think he'll always be more of a volume shooter. Eventually he'll hit a couple of 3s in a row, though it didn't happen in the Butler game :-(

NewLib

Banned
Perry Jones just stated he is returning. This is starting to get crazy. So far only Kyrie Irving and Kemba Walker of the sure fire lottery picks are heading to the NBA early.

I really hope Barnes, Williams, and Knight stay. Could be some legit great teams next year.

Proelite said:

Italian leagues to get influx of high school players.

Pretty sure a player could sue and beat the NBA if they tried this though, and they should.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
bachikarn said:
Florida will have the best back court in the nation. Deal with it Duke.

I think we'll be fine with Curry, Rivers, Cook, Dawkins, Thornton.
I'm looking forward to next year. Its going to be a young but talented team, no expectations for a national championship. The biggest questions are the young players and who takes leadership roles. I think we'll miss KI most in that regard, he was a natural on court leader. That said, we have a solid group of juniors, and a pretty versatile line up. We're going to blow some games, particularly early on, but we could be pretty dangerous come March, especially if we get that Deandre Daniels kid. This will be pretty athletic team for Duke.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ninja Scooter said:
Italian leagues to get influx of high school players.

Pretty sure a player could sue and beat the NBA if they tried this though, and they should.
If its part of the new CBA, they won't. Maurice Clarette's failed lawsuit against the NFL age limit has set precedent and no judge is going to overturn something in a CBA unless its dangerous or completely illegal. An age limit for employment wont qualify for either.

ryan-ts

Proelite said:

Damn, that would be great. Outside of Hansbrough (I'd also include the big 3 from Florida as a group), how many notable players have there been in the past few years of college b-ball? 1 year guys like Durant and Beasley will never be remembered for their college careers because all of their accomplishments never led to team success.

SyNapSe

NewLib said:
Perry Jones just stated he is returning. This is starting to get crazy. So far only Kyrie Irving and Kemba Walker of the sure fire lottery picks are heading to the NBA early.

I really hope Barnes, Williams, and Knight stay. Could be some legit great teams next year.

It looks like there could be some ridiculous teams. I can't believe Jones is staying. It seems kids are truly scared away by the pending NBA lockout. I think Barnes should go because I don't think he's getting a ton better. His limitations seem physical to me. Same with Sullinger but apparently he's coming back.

I think in a normal year Henson would have left. Unless he can show the ability to start putting on some weight he may hurt his stock. On TV he looks like a Gumby so it may distort that a bit but he looks like he'd be pushed around inside at the NBA level.

I didn't realize Kemba Walker was a projected lottery pick. Holy shit, if that doesn't scream out that things are bad. He's a great collegiate athlete but he seems like a poor man's Ben Gordon at best.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
USD is gonna get the death penalty.

A former University of San Diego star basketball player, another former player and a former assistant coach were charged with running a sports betting business to affect the outcome of games, federal authorities said Monday.
The 10 people are charged with conspiracy to commit sports bribery, conduct an illegal gambling business and distribute marijuana. If convicted, they each face up to five years in prison and $250,000 fines.

This is the sort of crap that occurs when you don't have rich alumnus to pay your players.

Silkworm

Well now UF's Larson and Murphy got arrested this past weekend on burglary charges for attempting to break into a car and have been suspended from the team.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/...layers-Murphy-Larson-arrested-in-St-Augustine

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/...-two-basketball-players-charged-with-burglary

If they ultimately end up being both kicked off the team, UF's front court depth will take a significant hit for next season (already was going to potentially be the weak point of the team and now could really be an area of concern). Still not sure of all the details (i.e. maybe it's not as bad as is sounds?), but considering Larson was already on probation, I'd be surprised if he returns to the team. *sigh* :-(

UK's god class makes me smile. Lamb, Liggins, Miller all returning, Knight/Jones talking to Cal this week, with Vargas (don't hate), Hood, Poole, that transfer kid I can't remember his name, Polson (SHOOT!), and the 4 incoming (maybe a 5th?).

I can't wait.

Pollux

kkaabboomm said:
UK's god class makes me smile. Lamb, Liggins, Miller all returning, Knight/Jones talking to Cal this week, with Vargas (don't hate), Hood, Poole, that transfer kid I can't remember his name, Polson (SHOOT!), and the 4 incoming (maybe a 5th?).

I can't wait.

Call it a gut feeling but I think either Knight or Jones returns. I'm pretty sure Knight returns, and I think there is a slim possibility Jones does as well. If they do, look out y'all, we're going to be dirty.

Silkworm

Yep, UK will be loaded next year. Now it'll be up to Calipari to mold and mesh that talent. He did a great job with this past year's UK team. I'm still amazed at what he got out of Harrelson.

Proelite

truly101 said:
At this rate, we could have 3 lotto picks. That would be the greatest day in Duke history right?

LOL at the people who thought it was a mistake for Singler to come back. Clearly, he foresaw this turn of events.

Silkworm

Proelite said:
Is Enes Kanter still going to play for UK next season?
I don't think he will or rather I don't think he can. I think his chance to play at the collegiate level has passed, i.e. I don't think he's eligible according to the NCAA -- he's been ruled ineligible twice and I don't think he'll be given a third chance. Besides, I believe he's a projected 1st round pick for the NBA Draft, so I'm guessing it's on to the NBA for Kanter. I'm sure UK would still love to have him and Kanter would probably like to play for Calipari even if for only one year, but it would seem that that boat has sailed.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Silkworm said:
Well now UF's Larson and Murphy got arrested this past weekend on burglary charges for attempting to break into a car and have been suspended from the team.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/...layers-Murphy-Larson-arrested-in-St-Augustine

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/...-two-basketball-players-charged-with-burglary

If they ultimately end up being both kicked off the team, UF's front court depth will take a significant hit for next season (already was going to potentially be the weak point of the team and now could really be an area of concern). Still not sure of all the details (i.e. maybe it's not as bad as is sounds?), but considering Larson was already on probation, I'd be surprised if he returns to the team. *sigh* :-(

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/were-not-in-gainesville-they-dont-give-a-f-29625

Audio of a conversation of the players.

""Have you ever gotten arrested before?" Murphy asks Adel, who says no. "Then we could get off."

"There's no getting off. We're not in fucking Gainesville. They [St. Augustine police] don't give a fuck," Adel says. "Do you understand I'll be fired and I have no chance of ever pursuing any type of career in basketball."

haha, damn interesting stuff

jakncoke

Banned
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Kansas says star freshman guard Josh Selby is declaring for the NBA draft.

The 6-foot-3 Selby was rated overall No. 1 prospect in the nation when Kansas coach Bill Self signed him last year. He was suspended the first nine games by the NCAA for amateurism violations and missed several more with a foot injury.

Selby tweeted Thursday that he will miss Allen Fieldhouse but was looking forward to “a new journey.”

He added: “I will not return to Kansas next year. Making my dream a reality.”

Kansas is also losing star twins Marcus and Markieff Morris, who are entering the draft.

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Sophomore forward J.J. Richardson has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer out of coach Jamie Dixon’s Pittsburgh program.

“We will assist J.J. in finding the best situation for him to reach his goals both academically and athletically,” Dixon said. “He’s a great kid, hard worker and good player. We thank J.J. for his contribution to our program over the last two years and wish him much success in the future.”

A 6-foot-7, 235-pound forward, Richardson averaged less than two points and one rebound in 23 games for the Panthers last season. A native of Houston, Texas, he played in 45 games at Pitt.

“I am looking for an opportunity to move closer to my family,” Richardson said. “I want to thank everyone at Pitt, including my coaches, teammates, fans and those associated with the program. It was a great two years and I wish everyone well. I’m very thankful for everything that Pitt has done for me.”

Man that sucks, I was hoping he could give us some solid minutes next season and on.

bill0527

Kalnos said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdun5cyqFmY&feature=youtu.be

Man, Bobby Knight hates UK, just a little bit huh? 3:05 onward (Claims UK started 5 players that didn't go to class in the 09-10 season). I guess he forgot Patrick Patterson graduated that year, in three years no less.
KuGsj.gif

If Bobby Knight was still relevant, holy hell should be unleashed upon ESPN to get his ass fired. His comments are just straight up slander and completely irresponsible.

Too bad he hasn't been relevant since some time in the mid 1990s. You have a few old school IU nuthuggers still slurping on his sac, but everyone else sees nothing but a crotchety old bastard who needs to go away.

And yes he absolutely despises UK to his very core. Knight's 1975 IU team was undefeated, until the Elite 8 of the tournament, and guess which team upset them?

He actually used to be pretty good friends with Joe Hall, the UK coach at the time. They were pretty good fishing buddies in the off-seasons. Hall says that he and Knight were pretty good pals up until Hall's UK teams started beating IU, and then Knight wouldn't have anything to do with him. That's no real surprise because a bully usually likes to administer the ass-kicking, but can't stand it when someone punches back. Knight was a great coach, cared about education, but a bully and a low life scumbag piece of shit to anyone that did not have their lips planted firmly to his ass.

Fjordson

Wow. Kentucky could be stacked to the max next year.

I wonder if the NBA lockout situation will influence more players to stay at college this year.

UCF just got a big recruit out of Georgia. He is Kevin Ware, a combo guard and former Tennessee signee under Bruce Pearl. He committed and signed today. That makes him the school's second 4 star recruit in this class and potentially a Rivals top 25 class overall when the other recruits are factored in too.

Next season should be an exciting one and should build plenty more from this one. Sucks, though, that UCF could have gone dancing in the NCAA if it wasn't for that epic collapse in the middle of conference play and in the tournament. But I hope the CBI was a good experience for the team and I know they will be in some tournament soon in Canada - which will include all of the new class.

SyNapSe

chuckddd said:
Miami gets it's man.

I'm a bit surprised by this, as I feel that GMU is a better job than UM. Well, except for the paycheck, that is.

Given Jim L's age and the fact that he passed jobs after making the F4, it makes me think he see's this as a last opportunity to prove himself on a bigger stage.

He just made another solid tourney run from Gmason. Perhaps, he himself wasn't sure how much the last run was a fluke. Granted, he could sit comfortable at George Mason but at his age, why not finally give it a shot in a major conference.

Worst case, you get some decent beach and babes :) He seems like the last pick I'd go for in Miami's spot. I'd want the hot young cool prospect type kid to sell the young kids livin the life and going to the beach hype. Either way they're in a tough spot I think.

edit: Just saw the list above. I didn't realize Honeycutt was leaving for sure (agent). That could have been a crazy front line with Davis, Honeycutt and the Wears potentially.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
jakncoke said:

Man that sucks, I was hoping he could give us some solid minutes next season and on.

With Khem Birch coming in, I'm not sure JJ Richardson would have been playing much. At best, he would have been a third string PF behind Nas and Birch.

He might have been able to put in some minutes backing up Dante Taylor, but it is probably better for him that he transfer.

giga

Former Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt has been hired by George Mason, according to a report on the foxsports.com website Saturday. It cited multiple unnamed sources.
My condolences GMU.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Seems like Darius Morris is going to stay in the draft even though every expert and scout is telling him that its a bad idea. Stupid fucking kid is going to ruin what should be our best season in like 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom