• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MDK 2 on WiiWare May 9th.

Oh snaps, I'll be getting this for sure! Should play great with Wiimote + Nunchuk controls. Now Interplay just needs to show that the other Wiiware games they announced (Descent, Stonekeep) actually exist.
Xater said:
How are they getting this game within the Wiiware filesize limit?
The PC version's only like 100MB, so compressing it down to 40 shouldn't be too hard (unless your name is Team Meat).

nincompoop said:
Oh snaps, I'll be getting this for sure! Should play great with Wiimote + Nunchuk controls. Now Interplay just needs to show that the other Wiiware games they announced (Descent, Stonekeep) actually exist.

The PC version's only like 100MB, so compressing it down to 40 shouldn't be too hard (unless your name is Team Meat).

I loled

geebee

Banned
Interplay's site only mentions a Wii Remote and Nunchuk control setup. I can't see myself playing this game without using the classic controller. Well, pointing controls might not be so bad.

Veal

Totally forgot about this! Nice! There's at least something to look forward to for U.S. Wii owners in the future :/

Hope that the PC version is out at the same time, and have 360 controller support. This is the only Bioware game I've never played, so I'm looking forward to it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's a charming game (beer for health) but my god did it have some annoying parts. Those bouncing balls you had to snipe and those jetpack parts. Maybe it's cuz I was a kid and my hand dexterity wasn't that great but be prepared to have your ass kicked by the time you reach level 7. The most fun levels were the doctor's and the old school "dodge the x" minigames in between levels. The soundtrack is among the best for any game, too.

jgkspsx

Whoa, timewarp. Bizarre choice of platforms indeed. And it's not coming to XBLA or PSN? Weird.

EDIT: Holy crap, they're working on Descent, Stonekeep, and Clayfighter? I remember hearing about the EWJ remake, but not the rest.

Boy, did I love Interplay in the 90s. What a shame :(

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I loved the first MDK, but I remember not being a big fan of the second. Maybe I'll give it a second chance.

wrowa

Brazil said:
People don't seem to be aware that this was announced literally 10 months ago.
Most people thought the game was quietly canceled.

Similar to, like, every recent WiiWare announcement.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
wrowa said:
Most people thought the game was quietly canceled.

Similar to, like, every recent WiiWare announcement.
MotoHeroz, FAST, La-Mulana, Super Dodge Ball and the like were cancelled? Wtf?

It's out? Jesus. I will get it, as long as the controls are good. But I might wait for PC. I don't know. I haven't bought anything from Wiiware in so, so long.

stuminus3

I don't mean to shit on this thread, but the PC version is cheaper (on any DD service near you), probably has better controls, and will likely run on a pocket calculator from 1995 (whilst looking much better, too).

Also, what's up with all the screens being 4:3? Is that how it actually is?

bhlaab

MDK 2 is awful. The first game was a cool unique thing and Bioware turned it into lame film parodies and fart jokes coupled with awful jumping puzzles.

bhlaab said:
MDK 2 is awful. The first game was a cool unique thing and Bioware turned it into lame film parodies and fart jokes coupled with awful jumping puzzles.
I far prefer the original MDK, but MDK2 is still a worthwhile game.

geebee

Banned
bhlaab said:
I laughed at Dr. Hawkins' bathroom stall scene.. :/

lethial

Reeeeeeee
bhlaab said:

The first game is far superior but I didn't mind MDK2 aside from the Doctor sections.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MoogPaul said:
La-Mulana might as well be. It was supposed to come out like 14 years ago.
Oh noes, them indies aren't working fast enough for my liking, damn their sinful existence!

They have semi regular updates, it's coming. Cave Story took a while too, La-Mulana needed much more reworking than that. Shit happens.

b07.jpg

stuminus3 said:
I don't mean to shit on this thread, but the PC version is cheaper (on any DD service near you), probably has better controls, and will likely run on a pocket calculator from 1995 (whilst looking much better, too).

Also, what's up with all the screens being 4:3? Is that how it actually is?
There's also an "MDK2 HD" in the works, coming exclusively to the Beamdog DD service which was founded by someone who used to work for Bioware. Who knows what the "HD" actually entails, hopefully more than just cleaned up textures.

EDIT - Actually I found some information on their forums:
trent said:
Thanks for your persistence Freker. We've had an issue with our mail server, so some contact e-mails haven't been going to the right place. Big picture, MDK2 Wiiware is approved, but waiting in the queue for distribution. MDK2 HD is cooking along. Cam's got the engine torn apart and half put back together around a completely revised lighting model. At one point he dropped a comment about 26 rendering passes for on frame, but I think he was still in development and a lot of the passes were performing the same function. When we get some screenshots ready, we'll make certain you get them.

-Trent

bhlaab

_dementia said:

You play as the stupid doctor for over a third of the game, and NOTHING about his levels even approach 'worthwhile'. Bad jumping puzzles, bad inventory puzzles, really really bad environmental puzzles, bad monkey cheese jokes...

The dog levels are OK except for the jetpack parts. They wisely decided to make his levels almost nothing BUT jetpack parts.

Kurt's levels are actually like the original but not as good or creative and you only play as Kurt for like 10% of the actual game. And most of that time is spent shooting at orbs to unlock doors instead of blowing up a lot of bad guys or doing anything fun.

_dementia said:

I wish I never played it, and I can't say that for many games.

Kurt's levels are not like in the original. There's too much silly orb sniping and not enough pure action (that was left to Max this time around, but he had a really annoying weapon system). Also, no real variety within each character's gameplay and crazy sequences like in the original (speeding through tunnels, for instance) were nowhere to be found.

bhlaab said:

You play as the stupid doctor for over a third of the game, and NOTHING about his levels even approach 'worthwhile'. Bad jumping puzzles, bad inventory puzzles, really really bad environmental puzzles, bad monkey cheese jokes...

The dog levels are OK except for the jetpack parts. They wisely decided to make his levels almost nothing BUT jetpack parts.

Kurt's levels are actually like the original but not as good or creative and you only play as Kurt for like 10% of the actual game. And most of that time is spent shooting at orbs to unlock doors instead of blowing up a lot of bad guys or doing anything fun.

A million of time this.
The art style of the game is a mess, with textures that seem chosen at random, with almost no logic.
Level design is bad: a lot of things to do are unintuitive, or are just plain stupid: the bombs at the sixth level, my god...
I had played the PC version, and you are basically forced to spam quicksaves to advance in the levels: I pity the poor souls the played it on the Dreamcast, and those who'll play it on Wii.
MDK2 is a travesty of a sequel, and the proof that Bioware can't made a decent action game. The bad things exceeded the goods - and with the "good" I mean Shwang Shwing and his tremendous sunglasses! ;)

Top Bottom