• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Borderlands 2 to be announced "soon", release in 2012

sk3tch

Borderlands 2 is in development at Gearbox Software, Eurogamer understands.

We've heard an announcement from publisher 2K Games will be made soon.

A source close to the game told Eurogamer the Gearbox-developed shooter will release on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next year.

Borderlands 2 has been rumoured for months now. In April Borderlands 2 was spotted on a game developer's online CV – sparking speculation that the sequel will be announced at E3 in June.

Following that revelation, Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford told Eurogamer the Duke Nukem Forever developer had every intention of revisiting the Borderlands franchise at some point in the future.

"I can tell you that myself and everyone at Gearbox LOVES Borderlands and we have been absolutely thrilled at the reception it's gotten from our customers and the fact that it's sold over four million units now," he said.

"So you can see that we supported the game like mad with lots of great DLC and you can imagine that we're going to want to do a lot of things with Borderlands in the future.

"But we've only announced what we've announced. If we haven't announced it, it doesn't exist.

"Plans and efforts towards the future always exist with a forward looking studio like Gearbox, of course," he continued, "but brainstorming and blue sky research and development should never be allowed to be construed into a customer promise.

"A customer promise should not be made until that promise becomes sufficiently clear and ready and the commitment is there to deliver upon the promise."

The 2009 co-op fuelled shooter was a hit with critics and gamers, and publisher 2K Games has described a sequel as "a no-brainer". Eurogamer's Borderlands review looted an 8/10.

2K had not responded to Eurogamer at the time of publication.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-02-borderlands-2-confirmed-source

[Nintex]

So what do we have for GamesCom so far?

Borderlands 2. PlayStation Vita launch details(likely), TimeSplitters 4(rumored), DOTA,
Command & Conquer reboot, perhaps Max Payne? Sounds like a great show this year.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Give more character customization (DRESS UP!), more enemy variety, and we're good to go. Also, more story please.

SmokyDave

Awesome. Started replaying the original on PC last night, it's even better than I remembered. Well up for a sequel.

KareBear

[Nintex] said:

Borderlands 2. PlayStation Vita launch details(likely), TimeSplitters 4(rumored), DOTA,
Command & Conquer reboot, perhaps Max Payne? Sounds like a great show this year.

Dawn of War 3 and Carbine Studios mmo.

[Nintex] said:

I like it. When is GamesCom?

-PXG-

Fuck. Yeah!!!!!

Someone post that gif of two old guys hi fiving and the one on the left pumps his fist.

NBtoaster

Deeper RPG elements please. Bigger effects on levelling up and more than just shooting. Borderlands got repetitive at the end.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Please spend more than five minutes porting the game to the PC, Gearbox. For instance, when I click on an arrow in a text window I expect said text to scroll in the indicated direction.

Mulligan

Banned
How big are Gearbox? They already have the new BIA and colonial marines under development too, aswell as just finishing Duke Nukem.

About fucking time. Hopefully dragging Duke Nukems festering corpse out of the hole it was rightfully buried in hasn't impacted the development of this proper game.

Natiko

Banned
Good to hear, looking forward to seeing what they can do with a sequel. Hopefully it's fleshed out in enough new ways to feel like a proper sequel.

Gong

Great news! All I ask is that Gearbox don't do anything as awful as the Mad Moxxi DLC this time round.

KKRT00

O fuck yes! Gearbox please, make it proper Diablo clone on PC, with crafting, much more skills [more than one active]/builds and coop interactions and proper online gaming with trading.
Oh and made movement more like Crysis 2 please.

schick85

I prefer the old artstyle, mind you.

992tt3.jpg

[Nintex] said:

Warner Bros. has booked me for an unannounced game, but that could be Lollipop Chainsaw for all I know.

But yes, it will be a great show this year, can't wait to get my hands on with WiiU and Borderlands 2.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
schick85 said:
I prefer the old artstyle, mind you.

As much as I love Borderlands' art style, I wouldn't mind seeing them make a second attempt at their old art style either.

-BLITZ-

Oh boy, o boy. I can't believe they are actually going to make Borderland 2. Gosh, I still have that old good music wild west sheriff background in my head. Hope to maintain that ambiance quality and to fix the fps dropping in this one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
One of my favorite loot games ever. They need to make it feel a little less janky with the controls. And more area variety! I don't want to walk around just desolate looking wastelands.

Xater

About time.

I hope for more loot diversity next time. Mainly from the looks. Hope they also add armor.

Seems like gamescon will shit all over this year's terrible E3.

Now if they show more of trackmania 2 it will be complete.

Gunplay in blands needs a LOT of work for the sequel, it was a novel concept and the diablo lootwhoring was fun for a little while, but quickly became meaningless if you farmed crawmeraxx for a while. It sorely needs interesting gun mechanics.
Think grapple hook attachements, all kinds of crazy combinations with launchers beyond the rather boring stuff from blands 1 , way way better gunplay to make the guns something more than just a skin with stats and a pointer + random spread.
The guns had no feel to them at all.

And for the love of god keep the ADS stuff and that stupid red dot scope shit to a minimum, good old fashioned hipfire still gives the best flow of gameplay.

MP needs a ton of work too, it's a pain in the ass to play it in coop because you have to be on the same quests/storyline.

Xater

SneakyStephan said:
Seems like gamescon will shit all over this year's terrible E3.

Now if they show more of trackmania 2 it will be complete.

This might actually be true this. I don#t think there was a single new exciting announcement this E3. Borderlands 2 and a first look at DOTA2 would be awesome.

Syril

I hope they improve their pacing. Parts of the first game felt like they were designed to waste my time.

I must get sleep soon. Cause you know there aint' no rest for the wicked. Money don't grow on trees. Things I want...

REAL PVP
More costume customization
More Story (I thought their characters were awesome)
Male and female variations of each class
Prevent duping online (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!)
NO GAMESPY ON PC VERSION (Just use Steamworks)

Other than that, don't touch a thing

schick85 said:
I hope it's not cell shaded this time.
I hope you are kidding. If not, I hope you are really wrong

Xater

Str0ngStyle said:
I must get sleep soon. Cause you know there aint' no rest for the wicked. Money don't grow on trees. Things I want...

REAL PVP
More costume customization
More Story (I thought their characters were awesome)
Male and female variations of each class
Prevent duping online (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!)

Other than that, don't touch a thing

That's why I think they should introduce armor that actually changes the look of your character.

Syril

flyinpiranha said:
All videogames are designed to do that.

At least when Diablo has me run back and forth between towns and fields to do a quest, it has the decency to give me town portal magic.

Top Bottom