• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Borderlands 2 to be announced "soon", release in 2012

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
zoner said:
Uniquely hideous.
I disagree, but even if I didn't it's preferable to generically hideous.
Borderlands_E3_2008_Screenshot_04_-_Guard_Tower_Sniper.jpg

Raxus

Please balance the characters too. Lilith was just crazy. If not then just break ALL the characters.

Also, improve the loot system so rarer loot is always better and the elemental weapons are balanced out for each weapon type (why is there no x4 fire shotgun?!?!)

Tadale

What I want:

More classes, more abilities, bigger talent trees-- in Borderlands, eventually every Soldier ended up being the same, thanks to a ballooned number of talent points and a relatively small tree.

A random dungeon generator for the end game. Let my group have something to do besides that exploitable "raid boss" that was at the end of the next-to-last DLC.

EDIT: What I'm afraid we'll get: streamlined and simplified game, just like nearly every big name sequel this gen.

- It would be intersting see some kind of melee centric class. It would be a nice change of pace in game play.
-I would like to see a armour system implemented. I want more to loot then guns and shields.
-An auction system.
-Maybe a guildwars style virtual lobby or town.
-The ability to choose your avatars physical apperance.
-More active skill based gameplay. There are too many passive skills.
-Some sort of crafting system.

I love the unique cel shaded graphics and art style. It looks like Borderlands and not some generic scifi shooter like it did before.

Orayn

I really loved the gritty comic book look of Borderlands. If anything, they should make it more "flat" in appearance, as the shader seemed a little underworked overall. B-Lands was blissfully aware of the fact that it was a fun, silly video game, so why pretent otherwise?

Derrick01

Banned
I hope at the very least they add more weapon diversity. 500,000 guns or whatever it was, and only ~20 were useful.

They also need to add more things to do and more mission diversity. Sometimes it felt like I was playing a single player MMO with some of the tasks I had to do.

Concept17

pedrothelion said:
- It would be intersting see some kind of melee centric class. It would be a nice change of pace in game play.
-I would like to see a armour system implemented. I want more to loot then guns and shields.
-An auction system.
-Maybe a guildwars style virtual lobby or town.
-The ability to choose your avatars physical apperance.
-More active skill based gameplay. There are too many passive skills.
-Some sort of crafting system.

I love the unique cel shaded graphics and art style. It looks like Borderlands and not some generic scifi shooter like it did before.

I like everything here EXCEPT the lobby/town idea. I hate the idea of an artificial central location for all players. Force players to meet up in various locations throughout the world, rather than just having everyone port back to the same 1-3 places.

If theres one problem with games these days, its that devs make it too easy for players to navigate the world, rather than give them more incentive to explore and learn every part of it.

bengraven said:
I just hope they make it Borderlands + 100% more cool shit.

Really all they need to do. There are some fundamental changes that should happen, but nothing major. Just more content and customization please.

I put 300 hours into Borderlands. I need a sequel. Now. And more equipment besides weapons and shields please.

AND CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION. I want my characters to actually look different, please.

The Mana Legend said:
I put 300 hours into Borderlands. I need a sequel. Now. And more equipment besides weapons and shields please.

AND CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION. I want my characters to actually look different, please.

jesus christ dude.

Orayn

Derrick01 said:
I hope at the very least they add more weapon diversity. 500,000 guns or whatever it was, and only ~20 were useful.

They also need to add more things to do and more mission diversity. Sometimes it felt like I was playing a single player MMO with some of the tasks I had to do.
The random generation of weapons' stats and appearances meant that the game really did have a hundred bazillionty-million guns. The problem is that they fell into too few categories within each basic type, and the types weren't terribly well balanced against each other. It was also a real drag that the Random Numbers God was so weird that you would often wind up hanging onto a rare/uncommon weapon whose level requirement was a few dozen under your current level.

These are definitely problems they can address, though. We may or may not get weapon crafting/customization, but more variety within each weapon category is pretty much a given, so it's mostly a matter of polishing and balancing what's already there.

bengraven said:
That's not unheard of. Me and a friend are coming close to that.

I know its possible I just never heard anyone say they did. Man I didnt even put 200 hours into Oblvion let alone Borderlands. I didn't have someone else playing with me at the time either though so I can imagine that that adds a shitload of hours into the experience.

JumpingTheGun said:
I know its possible I just never heard anyone say they did. Man I didnt even put 200 hours into Oblvion let alone Borderlands. I didn't have someone else playing with me at the time either though so I can imagine that that adds a shitload of hours into the experience.

With expansion packs and experimenting and playing with other classes (I have three classes at max level), it was pretty easy.

Artadius

10yqooh.jpg

Just give me more of everything. Oh and a little bit better PC experience please?

Don't you fucking dare change the art style either.

bengraven

JumpingTheGun said:

Yep, running back to help them beat quests, etc, just like an MMO.

But mainly it was replaying the game three times.

Oh and driving around shooting things while jumping ramps has never got old.

Ezalc

Make the ending deliver on it's promise this time. I fucking raged when I finished the story mode. Also more variety after a while of killing that one bad guy with a mask #4576 shit gets dull.

Armor (with visual changes)
A better ending (I can live without a story, per se, but the ending of vanilla BL was such a letdown)
More of everything that was awesome in the first game, including Cel Shading.

It's a fairly simple list, but I have faith in gearbox to fuck it up.

Orayn

It would be neat if the weapons were really just a collection of parts that could be disassembled, then mixed and matched with other parts from your collection. Something like...

Receiver - Determines ammo used, fire mode, base rate of fire.
Barrel - Determines base accuracy, modifies damage from basic the ammo type and level.
Magazine - Changes amount of ammo caried, weight, and reload speed.
Grip - Changes accuracy, stability, maybe fire rate.
Stock - Changes weight, stability, and weapon change speed.
Upper accessory - Scopes and sights.
Lower accessory - Forward grups, barrel shrouds, bayonets, maybe underslung grenade launchers or shotguns.
Barrel accessory - Suppressors and muzzle breaks for rifles, chokes for shotguns.

Each would have a dozen or so cosmetic versions, a bunch of possible colors, and various special effects, all on top of a smattering of stat variations. It might be a little bit too complicated and OPERATOR-like to inlcude all of these, but it would be cool to see at least a few of them as weapon mods like Mass Effect 1.

I stopped playing Borderlands on 360 when I tried coop and noticed players taking down bosses in two shots with hacked weapons. Did Gearbox ever resolve this, or will Borderlands 2 be more of the same?

Zzoram

The Wise Old Man said:
I stopped playing Borderlands on 360 when I tried coop and noticed players taking down bosses in two shots with hacked weapons. Did Gearbox ever resolve this, or will Borderlands 2 be more of the same?

That's why loot whore games are all awful online if they don't have server-side storage of save data. These guys probably just saved their game onto a memory card, plugged it into their PC with an adapter, and edited their save files.

JudgeN

Loved borderlands but there is alot to fix in the sequel:

Enemy Variety increased
Armor added as loot
More meaningful loot
More weapon types
More skills
Better quest variety
Better AI
Non Sloppy PC port
End game dungeons
End game boss with more random loot (crawmerax had static loot except for 5-6 weapons that were random)
More Moxxi

There could be an AMAZING game, if they gave it a little spit shine.

Jo-El

Considering how well the first game did for them, I was kind of surprised the sequel wasn't announced at E3.

Borderlands was a really great game and a sequel that expands on everything would be fantastic. New character classes with more skills would be enough to get me playing again. I didn't even play multiplayer in the first game, yet I still loved it.

I could care less about this announcement and was completely underwhelmed with Borderlands. It's way more for RPG fans and Loot fanatics than shooter fans.

madara

schick85 said:
I hope it's not cell shaded this time.

Ugh, facepalm. I need give up on this hobby its losing battle it seems, all anyone wants anymore is shiny brown and gray polygon look. One of few games of its type to try something more artistic in ocean of boring realism.

Patryn

Oh, I'd also like greater variety of voiced enemy lines and taunts. It was almost as bad as Mass Effect in that regard.

Hurray!

I'd love to know their DLC sales figures. Besides a few bad design decisions I thought that Borderlands is one of the few games that truly understood how to make effective DLC.

Souljiro

I'm on board, but there are a few changes I would like to see done first.

-Make sure the damn online works for PC at launch it took weeks before I was able to play online with my friends.

-Get rid of gamespy can't believe they used this in the first place. (Steamworks please)

-More character options not just color dye.

spats

Platinumed the main game and played the hell out of the DLC packs. Can not wait.

Also leave the art style as it is. Ditch UE3 because the texture pop-in was HORRENDOUS in the ps3 version.

I felt that BL1 was lacking in many areas. That said, I did have fun playing it with friends. Hopefully part 2 is a step forward rather than a bunch of dumbed down shit.

Majukun

RatskyWatsky said:
Awesome! But for the love of god Gearbox, include a storage system. Please. Also, adding armor could be really cool.

make choices about what weapons you need and what don't was part of the fun with borderlands.

and armors already exist in the game,they call them shield

Saggy

BurntPork said:
Oh, you know what I want more than anything? A PC version that actually works. :/
I cannot agree with this more. I just started playing Borderlands again after about a year and then remembered why I quit. Those damn memory leaks causing the memory usage of the game to climb well over 1,000,000 K is ridiculous. I'm not sure if it's just an issue with my PC specs, but I know a lot of other players have been experiencing similar issues, which is really unfortunate. In my opinion the game is super fun and addictive, mostly because of it's simplicity to just shoot guys, pick up loot, sell what you don't need and repeat. I know there's more to it than that, but at it's core, it is what it is and I enjoy it for that. Plus, the art style helps when the game is submerged in an era of shooters with such bland, grey and brown colour palettes -- generally speaking.

wwm0nkey

I really hope they change the music in this, it made me stop playing SOOOOOO many times. Also the constant desert didnt help either.

Top Bottom