• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops sells over 18 million map packs in nine months

kamspy

Grats to Treyarch. I didn't buy any map packs but the I will say there were plenty packed on the disc and for the most part they were good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its like I'm seven years old again and watching my brother try to blow up a balloon as big as he can, waiting for it to explode in his face.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once CounterStrike: Global Offensive is released, it will overtake Call of Duty and once again be the number 1 multiplayer first person shooter.

I'd say no to that considering CS:GO doesn't look like a major effort. Same old maps again with a new paint that does not look much different from CSS.

mysteriousmage09 said:
Everyone that bought this crap is the problem with this gen.

I think the majority of people that buy these don't play much else besides CoD. It seems kind of disgusting if you look at it like 90% of the people buying these map packs are also buying another 10 + games through out the year, but i think its the other way around. 90% of the people buying these map packs are solely playing CoD and maybe a handful of other games through out the year (likely discounted purchases). Most of my friends that play CoD and Download the map packs fall in this category and I am sure it is the same thing everywhere else. I however, am Proud to say, I haven't spent a dime on CoD map packs... :)

There is a reason why Homefront didn't sell. And that is because people were to busy playing MW 2 or Black Ops + Map Packs that they didn't care enough to waste another 60 dollars on a new game no one else was playing.

wutwutwut

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Black Ops shipped with 14 maps at a price of $60. Each of the three regular map packs has added an additional three maps for $15 each, so had there been four multiplayer map packs it would have added nearly as many maps as the original game itself.

Also consider that each pack added an additional zombie level (with the excepetion of the fourth map pack which was solely dedicated to zombies). Seems like a good value proposition, sad to say.
TF2 comes with over 30 50 official maps and countless user-created ones, all for free. The CoD value proposition is only good if your mind's been warped.

CoD is just one of the many games I own that I have DLed the DLC for. I've really enjoyed the post release support for each game in the franchise. I wish all my favorite games had post release content to look forward to. It keeps them fresh.

Who cares?

stuminus3 said:
I hope Bobby is happy peddling this shit to children.

You know how they priced their map packs so extortionately and everyone was like "well, that's what the market is willing to pay?"

Well, that's not actually what's happening. It's not the dudebros that are soaking this up in the millions. It's children. Young children, who need to get it because their friends all have it.

I'm sure Bobby knows it. Bobby doesn't care.
What a drama queen.

djm

Flying_Phoenix said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once CounterStrike: Global Offensive is released, it will overtake Call of Duty and once again be the number 1 multiplayer first person shooter.
I highly doubt it. There are far more gamers now who've never played CS, or possibly not even heard of it. Halo 3 or MW2 might have been their first FPS experience.

For the record, I played 1.6 for like 3 years, but games have moved on, for better or worse. I've bought every COD iteration since 4, but I've only purchased 1 or 2 map packs. Not all players are the dudebros who fork out endless money for map packs. I realize that's probably a majority so the generalization is fair.

I feel like a criminal saying I like both CS and COD sometimes.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Forsaken82 said:
I think the majority of people that buy these don't play much else besides CoD. It seems kind of disgusting if you look at it like 90% of the people buying these map packs are also buying another 10 + games through out the year, but i think its the other way around. 90% of the people buying these map packs are solely playing CoD and maybe a handful of other games through out the year (likely discounted purchases). Most of my friends that play CoD and Download the map packs fall in this category and I am sure it is the same thing everywhere else. I however, am Proud to say, I haven't spent a dime on CoD map packs... :)

There is a reason why Homefront didn't sell. And that is because people were to busy playing MW 2 or Black Ops + Map Packs that they didn't care enough to waste another 60 dollars on a new game no one else was playing.

Pretty much. I haven't bought a non-COD game since mid-2008.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
stuminus3 said:
I hope Bobby is happy peddling this shit to children.

You know how they priced their map packs so extortionately and everyone was like "well, that's what the market is willing to pay?"

Well, that's not actually what's happening. It's not the dudebros that are soaking this up in the millions. It's children. Young children, who need to get it because their friends all have it.

I'm sure Bobby knows it. Bobby doesn't care.
Thats how business roll: Supply and Demand.

thinkofchildren.jpg

Tenck

KingDizzi said:
Get a fuzzy feeling inside when COD games sell so well, they are the best FPS out there after all.

Quake beats CoD down to the ground. Only reason it's not as popular is because people don't like the steep learning curve.

Grinchy

Banned
I always assumed they were lucky to get a couple million sales of these things, and I thought that was a crazy figure.

Now I'm just fucking annoyed. Thanks for ruining gaming, gamers.
Please don't take this too seriously and leave me some long ass reply

ultron87

The_Technomancer said:
Its like I'm seven years old again and watching my brother try to blow up a balloon as big as he can, waiting for it to explode in his face.

I don't really see how selling record numbers of map packs has the potential to "explode in their face".

At some point it'll apex in terms of sales and popularity, but it's not like everyone is going to suddenly simultaneously realize that they actually hate Call of Duty and never buy it again.

Flying_Phoenix said:

yeah, sure.

stuminus3

FieryBalrog said:
What a drama queen.
You think?

See, I'm a grown man. I'm immune to peer pressure. My friends say "hey guy you gonna buy that map pack" and I'm gonna say "hell no, guy - there's better value for money out there, I'm gonna play some TF2".

Children do not have that luxury.

Can you imagine being a tween/early teen and going into school and telling your friends you're not gonna get the map pack because you can get free maps on some random PC game they've never heard of? No way, that's a one way trip to your head flushed down a toilet. And you can't just say "well Call of Duty isn't for kids anyway" because that's even worse. Bobby preys on the fact that it's worse, he thrives on it.

I think that's why Bodycount had that song, "Evil Kotick".

Dug said:
Fixed that link for you, that's the old TF2 that has a crap ton of Ads and never updated.
Heh, my bad. Thanks.

Sciz

Small wonder that they're pushing CoD Elite for the future when part of the playerbase is effectively already paying $5 a month. We haven't seen this crazy ride peak yet.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Noisepurge said:
okay, so no one can officially claim anymore that the COD map packs are overpriced. As they clearly are not o_O

Well, they're overpriced in the sense that map packs shouldn't cost that much, but Activision are getting away with it regardless. That's how they roll, as I said on page one, they know how to hit the iron when it's hot. The plastic guitar genre was terminal from the start, but they milked that bitch while the fad was hot. COD's popularity will eventually dwindle, but Bobby and co. will be able to look back and have the comfort of knowing they didn't leave a single dollar on the table.

I admire them, they know how to make that paper.

Forsaken82 said:

Homefront didn't sell because it was shit.

People, express your dislike for the Call of Duty series all you like, but don't try to blame Activision for the creative bankruptcy of other devs and publishers.

Nizz

Snuggler said:
Wow. Activision know how to hit the iron when it's hot, they could probably get away with another price bump, maybe $20 per pack.
Shhhhh, don't give em any ideas!

Wallach

stuminus3 said:
You think?

See, I'm a grown man. I'm immune to peer pressure. My friends say "hey guy you gonna buy that map pack" and I'm gonna say "hell no, guy - there's better value for money out there, I'm gonna play some TF2".

Can you imagine being a tween/early teen and going into school and telling your friends you're not gonna get the map pack because you can get free maps on some random PC game they've never heard of? No way, that's a one way trip to your head flushed down a toilet. And you can't just say "well Call of Duty isn't for kids anyway" because that's even worse. Bobby preys on the fact that it's worse, he thrives on it.

I think that's why Bodycount had that song, "Evil Kotick".

This shit is hilarious. Please consider illustrating your posts.

Benson

Back in my day map packs were community made and showcased the level designers of tomorrow. Today they're a commodity to help shareholders pad their pockets. I can't believe people are willing to pay that much for a few maps, it really does show how little an idea kids these days have about the value of money.

Snuggler said:
Well, they're overpriced in the sense that map packs shouldn't cost that much, but Activision are getting away with it regardless. That's how they roll, as I said on page one, they know how to hit the iron when it's hot. The plastic guitar genre was terminal from the start, but they milked that bitch in while the fad was hot. COD's popularity will eventually dwindle, but Bobby and co. will be able to look back and have the comfort of knowing they didn't leave a single dollar on the table.

I admire them, they know how to make that paper.

yeah it is a business ;D

i actually am more appalled looking at say...Stranglehold map-packs. They think they can get away with that costing 10$? Atleast Unreal Tournament had the smart idea of making DLC free to increase the base sales of the main game. In regards to the popularity of the game and the amount of active players i think the price can be almost anything.

I've bought all Battlefield DLC(sans the costumes) and all Warhawk expansions. I don't think i even looked at the pricetag :p

ultron87

Himself said:
Over 18 million people helping destroy creativity in the industry.

How dare they enjoy this game that they enjoy and then pay the developers for content that makes it remain enjoyable for longer. Damn them all to hell.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:

Somehow I doubt this. Unless you're only talking about PC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PairOfFilthySocks said:
Homefront didn't sell because it was shit.

People, express your dislike for the Call of Duty series all you like, but don't try to blame Activision for the creative bankruptcy of other devs and publishers.

Yep. Homefront bombed because it was a derivative product in a crowded market. If anything, it's kinda funny to watch publishers stumble over each other as they chase that COD money, only for the next COD sequel to outsell ALL of them several times over.

stuminus3 said:
Pokemon is over -> that way.

stuminus3 said:

I really don't know if I'm getting Astrolad-ed here. Sometimes I hate the internet.

Malio

I play the funnest team shooter this gen, and I've never paid for a map pack.

Team Fortress 2 <3

Raide

People complained about the cost and they still sell millions. Nothing stops them from bumping it up to $20+ for the MW3 stuff.

stuminus3

FieryBalrog said:
Pokemon is over -> that way.
The Pokemon craze is the younger kids. I'm talking like tween-age.

Malio said:
Team Fortress 2 <3
Hells yeah. You can be my new friend. All my old friends are stupid and paying $15 for insignificantly small map packs, so I'm kicking 'em to the curb.

SoulClap

I don't understand. I spent a good amount of time in MP and the maps in Black Ops were so boring. Poor COD4. Easily the best COD this gen but likely the worst seller.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
But like me, the expensive hats have gotten you to suck dicks and fist old dry women just to afford them. HAVENT YOU?!
Hats? Oh yeah, I got a couple as drops. They're cool I guess. Never saw the big deal.

Top Bottom