• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chopsticks. Why still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeke

Banned
Do chopsticks actually ever function better than a fork, knife, spoon combo? Do they still exist because of tradition?

Medalion

Banned
3860-0.jpg

What's the deal with chopsticks?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Asian food is designed to be eaten with chopsticks.

Unless you want to take a fucking spoon to your rice like some kind of barbarian. Might as well use your fingers.

EDIT: Okay clearly I don't understand much about the eating habits of South/Southeast Asians. I formally apologize for any offense I might've caused.

(Also I use a spoon to eat congee)

D3RANG3D

Halycon said:

Unless you want to take a fucking spoon to your rice like some kind of barbarian. Might as well use your fingers.

That's how my Cambodian friends eat rice...

ramyeon

Halycon said:

Koreans use spoons with rice dishes. As do a lot of other Asian countries.

But Chopsticks work better than fork and spoons for most asian dishes. Noodles, Korean pancake type dishes, kimbap/sushi, and, well, everything.

The cuisine has evolved with the cutlery it's obvious they'd go hand-in-hand the same as forks, knives, spoons and Western cuisine does.

OP just sounds ignorant.

Bleepey

Halycon said:

Sri lankans would take offence to that.

Lunchbox

Banned
dont use them. if the restaurant doesnt leave fork spoons next to the plate i ask the waiter for spoons

if a girl tries to tell me to use them, i dump them. im not eating with sticks cause of you

DSFan1970

ramyeon said:

But Chopsticks work better than fork and spoons for most asian dishes. Noodles, Korean pancake type dishes, kimbap/sushi, and, well, everything.

The cuisine has evolved with the cutlery it's obvious they'd go hand-in-hand the same as forks, knives, spoons and Western cuisine does.

OP just sounds ignorant.
That's a bit harsh.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
weekend_warrior said:
why use a spork when the sporknife is even better?

Why use a sporknife when the knifewrench is even better?

Xeke

Banned
ramyeon said:

OP just sounds ignorant.

I've always used them when provided. For noodles I find a fork much easier. For sushi, just pick it up with your damn fingers, you you pick pizza up.

ramyeon

DSFan1970 said:
That's a bit harsh.
No it's not. Thinking that everyone should do the same thing as the Western world is ignorance.

Sushi =/= Pizza. Who the hell eats sushi in a restaurant with their hands?

And a fork for noodles? What? Do you eat it like spaghetti or something? That's weird, not chopsticks.

Ellis Kim

Banned
lol @ ^

They function better depending on what you're eating or trying to eat.

That said, I know that there are tons of asian people who suck at chopsticks--as in they don't hold their chopsticks "properly," often times making their fingers into gruesome twister games in and of themselves. But hey, as long as it "works" and they can pick up the food :S

ramyeon

Ellis Kim said:
lol @ ^

They function better depending on what you're eating or trying to eat.

That said, I know that there are tons of asian people who suck at chopsticks--as in they don't hold their chopsticks "properly," often times making their fingers into gruesome twister games in and of themselves.
Yep, my host family in Japan had a daughter who couldn't hold them; they always said I was better at it than her. But a lot of people don't know proper knife/fork etiquette either. As long as it works.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Things that are easier eaten with chopsticks:

Salad
Any sort of long noodle
Chips (and variants like cheetoes)
Any kind of pot sticker(stuff you don't want holes in and at the same time can't put all in your mouth at once)
Various Japanese pickles

I probably could think of more but is proves the point the op needs som edjumacation.

To say chopsticks are useless is pretty much silly. They definitely aren't the end all, and even I think spoons are better for rice. I've said it a million times on this forum but every eating tool has its place.

Dresden

Fuck scooping up rice with chopsticks.
Ellis Kim said:
Yeah, IIRC there are a few pacific island nations where the culture is so that people "taste" their food with the fingers, yeah?
Well, Indians.

soultron

Banned
Lunchbox said:
atleast thats better than poking it with 2 sticks
Tilt the bowl, raise it to your mouth, and scoop/shovel the rice with your sticks. That's how I do it.

/is a barbaric eater.

Xeke

Banned
Treefingers said:

Do you say Ew when when pick up french fries, onion rings, pizza, nachos, tacos, burritos, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, wraps, mozzarella sticks, chips, goldfish, crackers, my god I could go on forever.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ummm...lot of Japanese people do eat sushi with their fingers...

As mentioned, depends in the food.

Looks akward as hell when I see people eat instant noodles or other dishes with a fork.

I also hate Korean chopsticks, screw your crappy metal chopsticks; I can't grip anything! Might as well use two goddamn knives.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Xeke said:
Do you say Ew when when pick up french fries, onion rings, pizza, nachos, tacos, burritos, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, wraps, mozzarella sticks, chips, goldfish, crackers, my god I could go on forever.

no, because i wear my taco gloves.

ramyeon

Dresden said:
Fuck scooping up rice with chopsticks.

Well, Indians.
Japanese use chopsticks for rice but they use a really sticky type of rice so no, you don't scoop it up; it literally sticks together in clumps and it's easy to clean a bowl of rice down to the last little bits as they literally stick to the chopsticks.

Countries that don't use sticky rice use spoons to eat rice traditionally - Korea and Thailand come to mind.

ajim

Noodle soups / noodles in general = chopsticks are the only way.

Eating Pho with a fork and spoon is a lot more difficult and tedious than chop stick and spoon.

Ellis Kim

Banned
ramyeon said:
Yep, my host family in Japan had a daughter who couldn't hold them; they always said I was better at it than her. But a lot of people don't know proper knife/fork etiquette either. As long as it works.
When I went to korea when I was like... 7(?) or so, my uncle or someone apparently remarked that I used chopsticks better than his own kids (my cousins are like 2-3 years older than me), saying something along the lines of "How can this american punk can use chopsticks better than native koreans?" followed by similar remarks when I refused having my kimchi watered down and seeked for red hot bean paste. :p

I only use chopsticks for sushi rolls, and I can't imagine eating them any other way.

I actually had to use a fork once, and they'd just fall apart once you stabbed them. Holding them together with chopsticks works so much better.

ramyeon

Kuro Madoushi said:
Ummm...lot of Japanese people do eat sushi with their fingers...

As mentioned, depends in the food.

Looks akward as hell when I see people eat instant noodles or other dishes with a fork.

I also hate Korean chopsticks, screw your crappy metal chopsticks; I can't grip anything! Might as well use two goddamn knives.
What type of sushi are you talking about? When was the last time you went to a Sushi restaurant in Japan?

Proper sushi etiquette is with chopsticks. It's considered bad manners to eat it with your hands.

I eat about 80% of my diet with a spoon(which I refer to as a shovel), 15% with chopsticks, and the remaining with my hands. I hate forks, so they get the blue moon schedule.

ramyeon said:
What type of sushi are you talking about? When was the last time you went to a Sushi restaurant in Japan?

Proper sushi etiquette is with a chopstick. It's considered bad manners to eat it with your hands.
Really? I wouldn't know from first hand experience in Japan, but everything that I've read and seen pretty much says its entirely open to it unless you are in a formal gathering of some sort. Its always nice to get info like yours. I always take what I hear and see from books and "educational" shows with heaps of salt, and this is why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom