• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chopsticks. Why still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spokker

ramyeon said:
OP just sounds ignorant.
He *IS* ignorant. He is asking a question about something he knows nothing about. He wants to learn more. It's not an insult to say he's ignorant.

I'm a fucking pro at using Chopsticks. Got taught by a Thai exchange student 10 years ago, been using them on and off ever since. I'm actually more proficient than many of the Japanese and Chinese nationals who stay with us.

If only it was a useful skill :(

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i find chopsticks pace the meal in a much more satisfying way than big ol clunky cutlery.

i also recently discovered that one of these:

CLnuX.jpg

is as essential to fish n chips as chopsticks are to a bowl of ramen. they've always been a fixture of necessity when eating out of a lap full of newspaper on a windy pier, but even if i'm eating at home off of a plate, this simple device somehow frames the whole experience in a uniquely pleasing way.

Anteater

There are more tiny things that are better picking up with chopsticks, but yea you could use your hands, but you could avoid the heat using chopsticks.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Ummm...lot of Japanese people do eat sushi with their fingers...

As mentioned, depends in the food.

Looks akward as hell when I see people eat instant noodles or other dishes with a fork.

I also hate Korean chopsticks, screw your crappy metal chopsticks; I can't grip anything! Might as well use two goddamn knives.
hahahahaha

metal chopsticks are for masters! :p

ramyeon

Spokker said:
He *IS* ignorant. He is asking a question about something he knows nothing about. He wants to learn more. It's not an insult to say he's ignorant.
No, he's trying to argue that they're useless. And why do you think I was trying to insult him? Not everyone on GAF is a troll.
I also hate Korean chopsticks, screw your crappy metal chopsticks; I can't grip anything! Might as well use two goddamn knives.
They're definitely more difficult to use for soup dishes and noodles. But I love the way they feel in the hand and they're nicer to eat with than the disposable type.

Ellis Kim

Banned
ghst said:
i find chopsticks pace the meal in a much more satisfying way than big ol clunky cutlery.

i also recently discovered that one of these:

CLnuX.jpg

is as essential to fish n chips as chopsticks are to a bowl of ramen. they've always been a fixture of necessity when eating out of a lap full of newspaper on a windy pier, but even if i'm eating at home off of a plate, this simple device somehow frames the whole experience in a uniquely pleasing way.
:O

Fascinating. Now I want fish n chips :x

Cyrillus

Nothing says "dignified" like having hand cramps or feeling like you're getting carpal tunnel syndrome every time you eat a meal. Only barbarians don't use chopsticks...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
real answer:

what people have said about the fact that chopsticks tend to slow down a meal and really make you savor it is perhaps their most beneficial quality. when i'm by myself, if i'm using a fork, it's entirely too efficient--i cram down too much food too fast and i almost eat myself sick. that sounds awful, but when i don't have company to sit and have a discussion with and pace the proceedings, it's true.

chopsticks help alleviate this problem.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dresden said:
Metal chopsticks are far superior to wooden chopsticks.
Not for eating soup noodles they aren't.

Unless they have some kind of ridges near the tip.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
It's because a lot of Asian cultures eat 'communally' with dishes in the middle which people pick at. Much easier to do with chopsticks. Also easier to 'dish out' morsels to other people's bowls with chopsticks.

Spokker

When you are talking about utensils at quick service restaurants whether you see wooden chopsticks or plastic forks might also depend on whether you are swimming knee-deep in wood or petroleum.

The environmentalists really hate those plastic forks, as evidenced from a search of "plastic fork petroleum." I don't see many complaints when I search "chopsticks wood."

Spokker said:
When you are talking about utensils at quick service restaurants whether you see wooden chopsticks or plastic forks might also depend on whether you are swimming knee-deep in wood or petroleum.

The environmentalists really hate those plastic forks, as evidenced from a search of "plastic fork petroleum." I don't see many complaints when I search "chopsticks wood."
Why should you?

numble

Spokker said:

You're not looking hard enough. http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/stories/forests/2010/chopsticks-trees/ You seem to have a "jump to conclusions" schtick going. Also, don't derail the thread.

Dresden

beelzebozo said:
also, if a fly is buzzing around, you can catch him.
Had a Korean friend who did this. She snatched it out of the year with dem fucking chopsticks, man. Wasn't able to to do it again, though.

Brofist

ramyeon said:
No it's not. Thinking that everyone should do the same thing as the Western world is ignorance.

Sushi =/= Pizza. Who the hell eats sushi in a restaurant with their hands?

And a fork for noodles? What? Do you eat it like spaghetti or something? That's weird, not chopsticks.

Most people in Tokyo do. Meaning most Japanese do. But I use chopsticks myself.

A fork for ramen, udon or other noodles with soup seems strange too. Much easier with chopsticks.

Mistake

Actually, I used to use a fork with a fist like hand before I started eating with chopsticks more. I didn't even notice. Do you eat less when using them? And are they good for dieting? I've heard it takes 20 minutes to feel full. Not that I need a diet

ramyeon

kpop100 said:
Most people in Tokyo do. Meaning most Japanese do. But I use chopsticks myself.

A fork for ramen, udon or other noodles with soup seems strange too. Much easier with chopsticks.
I went to High School in Japan. Most people eat sushi with chopsticks even at Kaiten Zushi.

Traditionally it used to be eaten with your hands, but it's changed it's status from being somewhat of a fast food to a cuisine that can be quite expensive depending on where you go. Very few young Japanese people use their hands to eat sushi other than stuff like Temaki.
Yes, but it depends on how well you can use them. It's much easier for me to pick up a bunch of salad with different vegetables than it is to get them all onto a fork. Lettuce especially can be annoying to pierce with a fork - chopsticks just offer more versatility when eating salads.

All utensils are bullshit.

That's what your fingers are for...and napkins?!? Fuck that shit. That's why you have forearms and pants.

Spokker

numble said:
You're not looking hard enough. http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/stories/forests/2010/chopsticks-trees/ You seem to have a "jump to conclusions" schtick going. Also, don't derail the thread.
But that's the point. You have to look harder.

But the bigger point is that our tools and our traditions are often influenced by what resources we have laying around. It's a fascinating subject.

I mean, when you look at other differences, why America is the freeway capital of the world and Japan is the railroad capital of the world. That shit isn't preference and it isn't an accident. The same reasoning lies behind why some cultures use chopsticks and why others use forks and spoons. It's not just cultural, it's also practical.

numble

Spokker said:
But that's the point. You have to look harder.

But the bigger point is that our tools and our traditions are often influenced by what resources we have laying around. It's a fascinating subject.

I mean, when you look at other differences, why America is the freeway capital of the world and Japan is the railroad capital of the world. That shit isn't preference and it isn't an accident. The same reasoning lies behind why some cultures use chopsticks and why others use forks and spoons. It's not just cultural, it's also practical.
1. Chopsticks are not Western. Maybe if you search in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, you'll find more results. Environmentalists in China are not complaining about plastic forks because it is not a big issue.

2. Wooden chopsticks are biodegradable and made from a renewable resource. Plastic chopsticks are neither biodegradable or made from a renewable resource.

3. Stop derailing the thread.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
They're for Asians and white people trying to look cool and be more Asian.

thefit

Better question is why chopsticks at an asian fast food/small eatery in the the US? Seriously at this point your just being a pretentious ass bring me my goddamn spoon and fork

Spokker

numble said:
1. Chopsticks are not American. Maybe if you search in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, you'll find more results.

2. Wooden chopsticks are biodegradable and made from a renewable resource. Plastic chopsticks are neither biodegradable or made from a renewable resource.

3. Stop derailing the thread.
I'm not criticizing chopsticks on environmental grounds. I'm pointing out that you can't find many complaints about them because they are not as harmful to the environment. I don't think I'll find more results if I search in Chinese, Japanese or Korean because chopsticks are better for the environment.

I am making the point that we are big into plastics in the US and that's probably because petroleum is more readily available and that's why we have plastic forks instead of wooden forks or chopsticks.

mingus

numble said:
You can't pick up and eat soup dumplings with a fork. The soup would come right out of the holes.
This is why chopsticks are essential. My apt on the other hand only has chopsticks because they're just more versatile.

forrest

formerly nacire
When I was a kid I always wanted to use chopsticks when we ate Asian foods. So I learned how and just kept using them. When I met my wife, she thought it was interesting and learned to use them as well. Now she always asks for chopsticks!

If you use chopsticks for a long time, they become second nature as do spoons and forks. I can eat rice just fine with chopsticks, but I do agree the spoon is a better utensil for foods like rice.

xelios said:
They're for Asians and white people trying to look cool and be more Asian.

Actually, they are for eating.

numble

Spokker said:
I'm not criticizing chopsticks on environmental grounds. I'm pointing out that you can't find many complaints about them because they are not as harmful to the environment. I don't think I'll find more results if I search in Chinese, Japanese or Korean because chopsticks are better for the environment.

I am making the point that we are big into plastics in the US and that's probably because petroleum is more readily available and that's why we have plastic forks instead of wooden forks or chopsticks.
You get about 50x more results if you search for chopsticks environmentalism in Chinese (versus plastic fork petroleum). Mostly companies marketing environmentally friendly reusable plastic chopsticks. I think the campaign to push people away from wooden chopsticks is bigger than the one against plastic forks in the US. They've already done away with free plastic bags at most major stores in the big cities.

Petroleum usage between China and the US is about on par. You just need to use a lot more plastics (and denser ones at that) if you're going to make plastic chopsticks. Its at the point where wood is cheaper to make a usable pair of chopsticks, and plastic is more expensive. So much more expensive that reusable plastic chopsticks are promoted to be environmentally friendly in China.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Xeke said:
Do chopsticks actually ever function better than a fork, knife, spoon combo? Do they still exist because of tradition?

They function better in certain situations, yes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like how Koreans use chopsticks for most things... but they draw the line at rice and just eat it with a spoon for practical reasons.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Japanese restaurants always try to push chopsticks. Chinese places never do, they give you a damn fork like they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom