• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chopsticks. Why still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmurphy

Because this:
2010-03-05-601chopsticks.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
By the way a fork would FUCK UP sushi.. that's obvious right?

Korey

Chopsticks can do something that forks can't:

- grab something without puncturing it
- grab something that can't be punctured

Basically, chopsticks are tongs and if you can understand why tongs are useful, then you'll get why chopsticks are.

Sushi is probably the easiest example of why you would want chopsticks.

Tong_09.jpg

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
CaptYamato said:
Let me guess. You only eat fast food?

?

I only cook and rarely eat out, actually. Not seeing the correlation. Did I offend you?

l1nkown

Neo Member
IMO, chopsticks > other food utensils. Yes i'm asian.

It feels weird trying to eat chinese food by stabbing the shit out of it. I'd rather just pick it up with chopsticks. And for noodles, its a hassle to roll them around the fork or try to lift them up as they slip off the fork.

And when it comes to cooking, I don't know what i'd do without chopsticks. When handling raw meats, I pickem up with chopsticks. When turning or removing food from a pan, I use chopsticks. When I need to stir stuff in a pot or beat eggs I go to the chopsticks. I mean I could use tongs for most of that stuff but its just so much easier to use chopsticks.

deim0s

Kuro Madoushi said:
I also hate Korean chopsticks, screw your crappy metal chopsticks; I can't grip anything! Might as well use two goddamn knives.

This.

Really hate it when I go to a Korean restaurant and see darn thing upon sitting. Wooden chopsticks FTW.

xelios said:
?I only cook and rarely eat out, actually. Not seeing the correlation. Did I offend you?

No, I made a silly assumption to point out how ridiculous your comment was. Certain foods, like sushi, can't be eaten with a fork and you don't eat with your fingers at a nice restaurant. Some Asian food places only have chopsticks unless you specify that you want other utensils.

Spokker

CaptYamato said:
Certain foods, like sushi, can't be eaten with a fork and you don't eat with your fingers at a nice restaurant.
How do you handle the complementary bread? Do you eat it with a knife and fork?

Is germphobia more prevalent in Asian cultures by the way? I know Americans are neurotic as hell but we can still eat with our fingers and not freak out.

ramyeon

Spokker said:

Is germphobia more prevalent in Asian cultures by the way? I know Americans are neurotic as hell but we can still eat with our fingers and not freak out.
Main meals are shared between everyone in a lot of Asian countries - it's not uncommon to have like 5 or more people all taking from the same plate. I'd say it's less.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Using chop sticks for me is second nature, and I always go for them whenever they are out in restaurants. In fact, I find it to be so normal (especially since I prefer them for sushi/noodles/rice and such), that whenever I'm with a guest that asks for a fork, I look at them strange... like they are some kind of heathen.

I probably shouldn't do this, but I keep forgetting that some people don't know how, or can't use chop sticks. Seriously, just learn how to do it, so you don't look like that asshole who asks for a fork in a Japanese restaurant!

RPGCrazied

I never tried, but will always use a fork for any meal, unless its intended to be eaten by your hands. Sandwiches, finger foods... etc.

hteng

Banned
Great King Bowser said:
It's because a lot of Asian cultures eat 'communally' with dishes in the middle which people pick at. Much easier to do with chopsticks. Also easier to 'dish out' morsels to other people's bowls with chopsticks.

this is the correct answer, ever wonder why the dinning tables are almost always Round/Circular in asian countries?

Utako

Banned
Chopsticks are better in some situations. Almost all of those situations involve food designed for chopsticks.

Shortribs are one good example. You can't pierce them with a fork (bone in the middle), and scooping them with a spoon would be silly. It's either chopsticks or fingers.

bdwzF.jpg

Also, sushi: a fork would destroy a sushi roll, and using your fingers would make them sticky.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ramyeon said:
Main meals are shared between everyone in a lot of Asian countries - it's not uncommon to have like 5 or more people all taking from the same plate. I'd say it's less.
I've seen plenty of restaurants nowadays have separate 'dish picking' chopsticks so that you don't use your chopstick, and then use it to pick up food that other people will have their germs on

CaptYamato said:
No, I made a silly assumption to point out how ridiculous your comment was. Certain foods, like sushi, can't be eaten with a fork and you don't eat with your fingers at a nice restaurant. Some Asian food places only have chopsticks unless you specify that you want other utensils.

Well we know who eats with chopsticks to look cool in this thread.

ramyeon

Kuro Madoushi said:
I've seen plenty of restaurants nowadays have separate 'dish picking' chopsticks so that you don't use your chopstick, and then use it to pick up food that other people will have their germs on
What country's cuisine?

Japanese don't always share food - usually it's nabe style stuff that's shared. However as I said, I've lived in Japan and never seen those.

Korean is very communal and I've dined at countless Korean restaurants. My girlfriend is Korean and a lot of my friends - we eat Korean several times every week and I have never seen those.

If you're going to Restaurants in America that may very well be your answer right there. All I'm saying is that they're less picky about germs than here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Some Asian food places only have chopsticks unless you specify that you want other utensils.
In contrast, some Asian restaurants have forks and spoons unless they're dealing with Asian customers, then they replace the neanderthal tools with superior chopsticks for discerning diners.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I wouldn't eat Sushi (my favorite food is basically a combo of real sushi and "faux" sushi that has cooked fish with rice/nori, both are amazing) with a fork.

That said I HATE eating rice with chop sticks...but I'm also the weird dude at the sushi bar that asks for a big bowl of plain ass sushi rice...to the side of my sushi.

Sober

l1nkown said:
IMO, chopsticks > other food utensils. Yes i'm asian.

It feels weird trying to eat chinese food by stabbing the shit out of it. I'd rather just pick it up with chopsticks. And for noodles, its a hassle to roll them around the fork or try to lift them up as they slip off the fork.

And when it comes to cooking, I don't know what i'd do without chopsticks. When handling raw meats, I pickem up with chopsticks. When turning or removing food from a pan, I use chopsticks. When I need to stir stuff in a pot or beat eggs I go to the chopsticks. I mean I could use tongs for most of that stuff but its just so much easier to use chopsticks.
You can still stab them if you are really hungry and desperate (also asian). Also, hell yes, chopsticks are awesome for cooking, just remember to use wooden ones (or bamboo).

soultron said:
Tilt the bowl, raise it to your mouth, and scoop/shovel the rice with your sticks. That's how I do it.

/is a barbaric eater.
Actually, that's more or less right, depending on how it's prepared. Steamed rice (at least the Chinese variety) clumps up (depending on the quality of the rice, how long it was steamed, kept, etc) nicely and it's not hard to grab it just with the chopsticks. Otherwise, you can shovel it (what most people do when they are done).

Spokker said:

Complimentary bread? Where?

I dunno about back in the good ol' day, but most of the time you either eat with family members, or the restaurant always provides "public" sets of chopsticks which are usually a different colour just in case.

(p.s., American Chinese restaurants aren't usually that authentic)

Wubby

I use chopsticks for pretty much everything that requires utensils. Using fork and spoon I just feel like I'm shoveling food down my throat. I've always ate slow and picked at my food so chopsticks just fit me better. Some stuff I have to use a spoon though like ice cream in a bowl or clam chowder and cake you really need a fork. I couldn't imagine trying to eat a bowl of udon or soba with a fork though.

Utako said:
Also, sushi: a fork would destroy a sushi roll, and using your fingers would make them sticky.

japanese people use their hands for sushi all the time. granted, not in a restaurant.

chopsticks are clearly superior for noodles, sushi, gyoza etc, though i don't quite get the advantage for donburi. we could do with taking a leaf out of the koreans' book there - unless it's plain sticky rice, i think it makes sense to use a spoon for, say, bibimbap.

Spokker said:

I don't eat bread. I will never eat with my hands when I go out. Unless it is fast food. Which eat once a month.

VillageNinja said:
Well we know who eats with chopsticks to look cool in this thread.

We all know who is insecure about not being able to eat with simple eating utensils. I understand you can't use something my five year old cousins can use. Must suck.

xelios

CaptYamato said:
I don't eat bread. I will never eat with my hands when I go out. Unless it is fast food. Which eat once a month.

My table manners are not quite as good at home as when I am out in company. [True] [False]

ramyeon said:
Yes, but it depends on how well you can use them. It's much easier for me to pick up a bunch of salad with different vegetables than it is to get them all onto a fork. Lettuce especially can be annoying to pierce with a fork - chopsticks just offer more versatility when eating salads.

Maybe it just depends on how you eat the salad, but I like to be able to pierce various bits of lettuce, vegetables, or whatever else is in the salad. I can see why some people would think chopsticks may be superior for salad, but maybe only if you're eating it like you would dissect something - one piece at a time.

Chopsticks and salad just don't make sense for me.

Anyway, that's probably it for me and this thread. Chopsticks do somethings better than fork/knife/spoon, but overall, the cutlery is more versatile and efficient.

sazabirules said:
How do you eat a sandwich when you're out?

I don't order sandwiches. If I go to eat wings I will use my hands.

CarbonatedFalcon said:

The first time I had to use Chopsticks with a salad it was difficult. Now that I am use to it, I find it easier and far superior to fork. I just prefer it now. Not sure why.

xelios

CaptYamato said:
I don't order sandwiches. If I go to eat wings I will use my hands.

That seems pretty messy and unnecessary. I'd order boneless and use chopsticks.

ramyeon

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Maybe it just depends on how you eat the salad, but I like to be able to pierce various bits of lettuce, vegetables, or whatever else is in the salad. I can see why some people would think chopsticks may be superior for salad, but maybe only if you're eating it like you would dissect something - one piece at a time.

Anyway, that's probably it for me and this thread. Chopsticks do somethings better than fork/knife/spoon, but overall, the cutlery is more versatile and efficient.
Not really, like I said, I find it really easy to pick up a lot of vegetables at the same time. More so than with a fork. It's also really useful to be able to fold the lettuce into small pieces with the chopsticks to put it cleanly in your mouth rather than stuffing a huge piece in with a fork.

Zaptruder

Banned
Who are these silly people eating sushi with chopsticks?

So pretentious.

I won't deny that chopstick has some uses - but really, you could do everything you'd want to do with food with a fork and spoon combo. Something that can't be said for chopsticks.

I mean, if we're going the way of the tong argument, then a fork and a spoon would double even more effectively as a set of tongs than a pair of chopsticks, as ridiculous as it would look.

TxdoHawk

I read through this thread, and I don't have an opinion on the superiority of chopsticks...but man, now I want some soup dumplings.

watershed

Banned
Strangely I use chopsticks for salad as well. I find it works very well for getting a bunch of different vegetables in one bite without stuff falling.

artwalknoon said:
Strangely I use chopsticks for salad as well. I find it works very well for getting a bunch of different vegetables in one bite without stuff falling.

Yup. Chopsticks are awesome for a salad. No worrying about lettuce falling off the fork.

But, cutlery is more versatile. There are things that are best for both.

xelios

CaptYamato said:
boneless wings taste like shit.

All wings do really, and they're a popular lower-middle class food; I wouldn't be caught dead eating them.

I always thought it was funny that all of my asian friends would never use chopsticks, saying "it's just way easier with a fork."

Chopsticks are mandatory for pho. How else am I going to strategically make sure I get a chunk of tendon, some noodles, and a jalapeno slice in the same bite? How do I pick those last little bits of noodle and meat out of the broth? Impossible with a fork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom