• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Nintendo have uncrippled 3DS' controls, Should Sony do the same for Vita?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Brit

Banned
For a long time it was accepted that portables would have awful, cramp inducing, crippled control schemes that made developing games and porting them a nightmare. Then Vita was announced and seemed to nearly rectify that except for lacking clickable analogs and R2/L2. Now the unlikeliest company of all, Nintendo, who are known for their lacking in depth control schemes have solved that problem but have done so by adding a monster of an attachment to the machine and launched it 6 months after launch. As we all know, this means that no games will use it properly as no optional addons have been used properly in the past.

Sony is in a unique position here to fix that before launch and uncripple the Vita's controls thereby avoiding the problems the 3DS addon will face and making a device with a near perfect control scheme. Now my question is:

Should/Are Sony going to be pressured into making the Vita's controls on par with home consoles?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Umm... Joke thread? Or are clicky sticks that important to people?

Edit: oh, I guess it lacks some shoulder buttons too... Meh, it's largely on par.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The arguments in this thread will centre around personal definitions of the supposed "in depth" control schemes Nintendo is lacking.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0042_kman.gif

neptunes

The only thing Sony SHOULD have included was an HDMI port

I guess it'll come in the inevitable Redesign, along with onboard memory

No_Style

Forget controls. I'd like to see Sony bring the home console audio/video experience with an add-on like this:

Light%20Magnifier%20Gameboy.jpg

Powerful stereo speakers and an even larger screen via the power of magnification!

Raine

No. The lack of R2/L2 is nowhere near the problem that the lack of a 2nd analog stick was. And neither are clickable analogs.

pramath

Banned
bobbytkc said:
What you need to know, is that GAF is nearly always wrong.
Half of GAF says the 3DS will succeed, the other half says it will fail horribly.
What do I believe now?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I'm sure the R&D dept at Sony is working hard on making their own cradle as we speak. 2 inches thick! That'll show 'em!

jackdoe

TONX said:
I'm sure the R&D dept at Sony is working hard on making their own cradle as we speak. 2 inches thick! That'll show 'em!
No cradle. Attachable screen add on that gives you glasses less 3D along with the R2 and L2 Buttons.

Vita doesn't have crippled controls though. No L2/R2 is easily rectified with the amount of other inputs available. The lack of clickable sticks are a completely blown out of proportion.

Why should Sony feel pressured to do anything when Nintendo is doing a great job of kicking themselves in the balls?

GeoramA

Have you watched any Resistance: Burning Skies videos or read any impressions? Controls don't seem to be an issue with Vita at all.

How are they supposed to do that? The system is due before the end of the year and it's already September. They can't go back in and rework it now, and delaying it would be suicide considering what the 3DS lineup looks like for the rest of the year. They've got much bigger problems that minor controller issues.

Kaizer

Banned
Um, last time I checked the Vita has a shitload of options right now in regards to controls: Touch Screen, Rear Touchpad, Face Buttons, D-Pad, Shoulder Buttons, Dual Analog Sticks, Gyroscope, & Camera - what else do they really need? Oh god, the Vita is SOOO crippled.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
SolidSnakex said:
How are they supposed to do that? The system is due before the end of the year and it's already September. They can't go back in and rework it now, and delaying it would be suicide considering what the 3DS lineup looks like for the rest of the year. They've got much bigger problems that minor controller issues.

Easy, just launch it with a cradle that you attach onto the back.

Orayn

How are the Vita's controls crippled? You're down four "buttons," but you have multi-touch on the front and back of the device to compensate, not to mention the accelerometer/gyro. It really, really isn't that hard to make up for four buttons when you've got those other inputs.

pirata

Sony is going to announce next week that the Vita is now just a screen with a camera that tracks motion. Embarrassing mini-game collections on the go!

Skilletor

This is hilarious. And awful.

Mostly awful.

Like 8 parts awful, 2 parts hilarious. I think that's the mathematical formula for a bad thread.

Everything the 3DS is doing seems like a reaction to the fuck awesome stuff Sony has got going with the Vita.

btkadams

No_Style said:
Forget controls. I'd like to see Sony bring the home console audio/video experience with an add-on like this:

Light%20Magnifier%20Gameboy.jpg

Powerful stereo speakers and an even larger screen via the power of magnification!
i forgot about this! so hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom