• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvelous AQL/Inafune Announce King Of Pirates: Sea King [3DS Action RPG, Trailer]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
cw_sasuke said:
Former Capcom development head Keiji Inafune still has some real game left in him! Following a few social game announcements and some still baffling collaborations with Compile Heart, Inafune is working on an honest-to-goodness 3DS title called "Kai-oh."

Kai-oh is an action RPG with multiplayer support. The kanji for the name translates to "Sea King." The game does have a pirate theme, but you apparently play as a penguin. A release is planned for 2012

The game is being developed as a collaboration between Inafune's new Intercept studio and Marvelous AQL, the newly formed merged company comprised of Marvelous Entertainment, AQ Interactive and Liveware.

The announcement of Kai-oh came at a press conference that Marvelous AQL is currently holding to commemorate its merger. We'll hopefully get additional details shortly.
Source: http://andriasang.com/comyg7/

AndriaSang said:
Famitsu.com has posted first images of King of Pirates, the new 3DS title from Keiji Inafune that we wrote about earlier under its Japanese name, Kai-oh.

The site reports that King of Pirates will have a pirate theme, but will follow the Sangokushi story. The game wil have over 300 characters.
Source: http://andriasang.com/comyg8/

vk79zv72zmmkk2g94g62qx7ewb.jpg

eg1ms1k75byt3a6sez5s7xhf82.jpg

gba331s18e2cv1wh2d5ilftfur.jpg

ti45tw74o1gb3tr6dnb9obcevp.jpg

tf8g92zcfjkfv7val62n1t7fo5.jpg

xz5ib15c4188tp9dq961i7rfhb.jpg

ejkquh1m6rpyw6z8725v435edw.jpg

mbsw2169d7m8m8ra689m7ceejb.jpg

tljm9t1yvdt1u2d8h4qtmsbfnx.jpg

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201110/05051427.html

Sgt.Pepper said:
Marvelous AQL has opened an official site for Keiji Inafune's new 3DS action RPG King of Pirates, and surprise surprise, it's in English! Check the site out here.

The site contains background story, concept images (no actual game screens have been released yet), the trailer that we shared earlier, and a message from Inafune himself. Inafune's message is surprisingly long and deep for a game about pirate penguins, so definitely give it a read.

4UlWr.jpg

jhGra.jpg
http://andriasang.com/comygj/

nemesun

Penguin is the new rave in Japan. Fully forecasting 10+ penguin themed games coming out of Japan in the next few years.

watershed

Banned
The cg art reminds me of kungfu Panda for some reason. I'm liking the sound of an original action rpg. Hopefully the multiplayer is good and we get some real screens soon.

I'm not gonna lie, this looks delightfully appealing to me. I have to say I was always expecting him to go with something much more Western styled after all his talk earlier this year.

King of Pirates sounds like something out of One Piece.

The characters look kind of cute.

A pirate themed multiplayer action RPG does sound interesting. I wonder if it's something like Diablo, PSO, or MH.

I dunno why but I get a very Monkey Magic/Journey to the West feel from the pics.

Sounds interesting but will wait till I see some real screenshots before I get too excited about it.

So that's what happened to AQ Interactive...

Anyhow, it sounds vaguely interesting. I loves me some pirates and I loves me some penguins aye yup!

Based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms, eh? Not like this is the oddest adaptation/re-imagining that's come out of Japan.

The penguin and his crew are clearly based on the Three Oath Brothers (Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei). The evil-looking Lion is probably either Sun Jian or Sun Quan. The dragon might be Huang Zhong, due to the bow. The eagle might be Lu Meng, and the monkey either Zhou Yu or Lu Xun. Then again, I'm just guessing based on their looks, so I'm probably wrong.

Tizoc

Zero-Crescent said:
Based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms, eh? Not like this is the oddest adaptation/re-imagining that's come out of Japan.

The penguin and his crew are clearly based on the Three Oath Brothers (Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei). The evil-looking Lion is probably either Sun Jian or Sun Quan. The dragon might be Huang Zhong, due to the bow. The eagle might be Lu Meng, and the monkey either Zhou Yu or Lu Xun. Then again, I'm just guessing based on their looks, so I'm probably wrong.
Oh interesting, I'm not too versed Rot3K, but the concept of the game looks cool.

Kato

StreetsAhead said:
Looks like a Nintendo game. Too much of colors.

Too much color?

Just colorful period. Stop playing your dark corridor shooter and turn on the light in your room and admire the colors around you. Then go outside and yell at the cloud there is too much color in the world.

On the game itself:

Too much trailer not much gameplay but it looks wonderful so far. The characters are awesome. They give a bit of a KF Panda vibe.

Erethian said:
....Romance of Three Kindgoms with animals

Sold!

Zero-Crescent said:

Nah, I think you are on to something. And if it turns out to be like you stated I am sold on the game on day one and will buy you a beer or at least will post a picture of one..

Tizoc

OK is it me or is the trailer...a little choppy? It's like they made the trailer in 60 FPS and then put it into YT and YT bothced up some frames (YT vids are 30 FPS max).

Marvelous AQL has opened an official site for Keiji Inafune's new 3DS action RPG King of Pirates, and surprise surprise, it's in English! Check the site out here.

The site contains background story, concept images (no actual game screens have been released yet), the trailer that we shared earlier, and a message from Inafune himself. Inafune's message is surprisingly long and deep for a game about pirate penguins, so definitely give it a read.

4UlWr.jpg

jhGra.jpg
http://andriasang.com/comygj/

Top Bottom