• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the VGAs are over can we finally get a serious award show?

wwm0nkey

Seriously most of the awards went by in 30 seconds while the rest of the show was a bunch of dumb ass skits. Can we just have a serious award show and not something that makes a joke out of gaming?

The biggest money in (traditional) video games are big budget shooters. Until that changes, this is what we're getting.

I watched the Machinima awards last night and it was pretty good. Not a super serious affair but they did give out a lot of awards and devs spoke.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ok...

Sorry...

Derrick01

Banned
I have to say the Double Dare-esque random skits were especially appalling and uncomfortable.

They were very comparable to the random skits ESPN kept doing in the middle of the NBA All Star Saturday last year.

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah, that was the first VGA show I watched, and it was pretty outlandish. Everything about it was... weird..

hope somebody secured a tea bagging gif.

That was horrible. Even worse than last years. Ugh. :( They gave out like 3 total awards? Not even an awards show.

Nah dude, you probably just missed the part where they gave out a dozen awards in thirty seconds. Seriously happened

Emitan

For a video game award show it seemed like it focused way more on "hip" jokes than actually honoring developers. And that fucking t-bagging nonsense.

Kifimbo

They need to get rid of the has-beens (Hogan, Hawk, Sheen, the American Pie dudes, etc.) and let the creators talk. Yes, the Kojima's speech was akward, but at least it was...real and human.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
An improvement, but fewer wahjah moments with Felicia Day would be nice. Let the devs speak for half as long as the bad intro jokes, and stop showcasing cow spile skits over actual awards.

The entire thing was a gross waste of money, time and energy.

Even the pre-show was more entertaining than the show itself.

A stage with the woman who voices GLaDOS sitting on a stool, taking requests would've made for a more entertaining show than the VGAs.

Penguin

Awards are meaningless. A show filled with trailers for new games is just what i wanted.

If they presented it as such, I would be fine.

A 2012 Preview Show is great, and really kind of what we got.

But calling it an Awards show and then putting the awards in the back is just bad.

Coolwhip

Banned
I didn't see it, but why do you want serious? Videogames are first and foremost entertainment for kids/young people. So it makes sense to gear these kind of shows towards them.

Averon

What was all that spiel from Levi about gamers not being "dude bro" idiots yet make that ridiculous teabagging skit that reinforces that very image of "dude bro"?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Best part of the show was the crazy black guy.

Best as in VGA is shit and this guy exemplified it.

Mindlog

The VGAs are doubly amusing. The show itself is terrible and the GAF reaction is typically its equal.

Getting a serious award show televised on sub-basic cable... GLHF

Giving Bethesda "Studio of the Year" is just mind boggling. I can understand giving Skyrim GoTY because you can say that the 360 and PC versions run great. But they knowingly released a broken version on one platform. How can you reward that with "Studio of the Year"?

outsidah

I fast forwarded through almost the entire thing to just see the previews. I can't imagine sitting through that whole thing live. So much cringe.

sn00zer

It was much better than last year....they just need to take out some segments....ie random blogger, teabagging, "celebrities" and other nonessential stuff....personally thought there were some very well done moments this year

I do really feel bad for Geoff. The man has to earn a check, and probably has to put up with unreasonable Spike executives who want to satisfy the main demographic the channel caters to, the brosome COD loving, Madden playing gamers. I'm sure they have this to a science where if you bring celebrities, or a cute girl, or a hot girl, or any combination of the above you get ratings.

Unfortunately that is not what our industry needs. We need a show that rewards the hard work of many talented people. Perhaps Geoff has a vision that once the ratings are there he will have enough influence to make the show a real award show. But until then, he is stuck with the most horrible video game award show on television.

The thing that angers me the most is that the main audience probably hasn't even heard of Bioshock Infinite. Think about it for a second. Most of GAF already had a very good idea of what to expect. This show is made for the people who know nothing about videogames and is an opportunity for companies to have a lot of new eyes looking at these games. As a consequence the industry is portrayed in a very immature manner without people realizing that some of the smartest people on the planet are the creative hands behind the games.

Top Bottom