• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I was offered a job in Mountain View, CA.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...And I live in DC now. So for people who live out there in the Bay Area...advice?

Generally really nice area, one of the more affluent places. Google is there, you are next to Palo Alto, which is where Facebook and Stanford are, so on and so forth. Public transportation is easy, you are next to buses and trains. What else do you want to know

...And I live in DC now. So for people who live out there in the Bay Area...advice?

Google!

The bay area kicks fucking ass. It is expensive as hell to live here . . . but the weather is great, there is all sorts of cool stuff around here, the people are rational, there is lots of diversity.

Do it. Welcome to the bay area!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just moved to the Bay Area this year from Colorado. We liked Colorado way better, but it isn't bad here. I am originally from Florida so it would have to be pretty bad for me to hate it.

San Francisco is awesome to visit. Traffic is pretty bad all around the Bay Area. BART is a pretty good train system for getting in and out of SF and Oakland though.

Shit's expensive though.

Basically double the salary I am getting now (with bonuses factored in). I'm getting a 10k payment on my first paycheck for moving expenses.

WTF is wrong with you? You are actually questioning this move?
KuGsj.gif

Nelo Ice

Banned
Basically double the salary I am getting now (with bonuses factored in). I'm getting a 10k payment on my first paycheck for moving expenses.

Unless u REALLY enjoy life in DC and have family/friends there, then come over to the Bay!

Matt

Yes, I know I sound crazy for questioning it. Only thing is, I already work for some pretty important people. Very, very important people. And i'm only 25.

Matt

Alright alright, moving past the should I take it notion, where should I look to live? What things do I need to know? Etc.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yes, I know I sound crazy for questioning it. Only thing is, I already work for some pretty important people. Very, very important people. And i'm only 25.

Working for very important people can only mean the possibility of a good job in the future.

You have the apparent opportunity for a good job now.

Seems like a good job now is better than a possible good job in the future. And you can retain your very important people as contacts.

Is your opportunity at Google something you are interested in doing?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Yes leave the shithole that is DC. I live here and am moving soon. Do it

kunu

Alright alright, moving past the should I take it face, where should I look to live? What do things do I need to know? Etc.

You'll love the weather, coming from DC. Also working at Google is quite literally one of the most prestigious jobs to have especially in the tech sector.

Not sure about Mountain View in particular but SF is great, of course. One of my favorite cities in the world. The food is great, and there's loads to do.

Take the job and move. Politics jobs are decent and working for the big guys is cool (I worked for senators Obama and Clinton back in the day) but go to the private sector, you will always find a job back in dc if you find you don't like the west coast, the money's better and you're young.

Nitsuj23

Yeah, I does come off like that, I'm sorry, that's not how I meant it. I'm just tired and conflicted, and wanted to hear more about the area from the people that know it.

Congrats man! I would take it in a heartbeat.

Just curious what you're going to be doing for them? I'm graduating in May with an accounting degree, and really regret majoring in accounting, but it's too late to change. Wish I could work for Google as an accountant of some sort haha.

Best of luck.

Tunavi

Banned
Yeah, I does come off like that, I'm sorry, that's not how I meant it. I'm just tired and conflicted, and wanted to hear more about the area from the people that know it.
its not a brag thread, I'm the one that called you out on it, you didn't brag at all lol

holy shit you work in the white house??

Alright alright, moving past the should I take it face, where should I look to live? What do things do I need to know? Etc.

25 . . . OK.

The Peninsula is largely suburban and could be boring for you. You could choose to live in San Fran or San Jose but the first is a long commute and the latter isn't so hot but has a shorter commute. I'd recommend living near downtown Palo Alto. Decent nightlife, close to Stanford, close to Google.

25 . . . OK.

The Peninsula is largely suburban and could be boring for you. You could choose to live in San Fran or San Jose but the first is a long commute and the latter isn't so hot but has a shorter commute. I'd recommend living near downtown Palo Alto. Decent nightlife, close to Stanford, close to Google.

Google will shuttle you from pretty much anywhere in the bay. you can live in SF or east bay no problem if you want.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You are young with lots of opportunities and the fact that is is a hard decision for you makes you awesome.

reKon

Banned
lol this thread is going to get tons of labels... stealth brag, trolling attempt, etc. You need to give more information if you want more useful advice. Google seems like a great company (consistently top 10 places to work) to work for in q beautiful location so for me personally, I would take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom