• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I was offered a job in Mountain View, CA.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMUSIX

I know people are saying live in SF, and SF is certainly awesome, but if you don't mind a different pace, check out Palo Alto or Redwood City. There are decent clubs/bars in both towns, and some awesome mountain biking trails up towards skyline.

Oh, and you're moving to a region of excellent food. Really top-notch restaurants in almost every peninsula town. It's not like some areas where you have to get into the city before you start finding the 4 and 5 star stuff. In fact, for a while it seemed that every great new restaurant that opened in SF would have a sister location open in Palo Alto. Then again, Google feeds its employees amazingly well (somewhere there's a blog post about the unbelievable perks that Google provides.)

Do know that you WILL need a car (not sure if you have one or not, but it's a requirement for the area). Don't expect much from the beaches. This is Califonia, but it's northern california. Beautiful, but brisk. Instead, go out to the beaches for awesome hikes, incredible abalone (go to Duarte's in Pescadero) fresh artichokes, and fantastic cheap seafood (Barbara's in Half Moon Bay).

And learn to use Tahoe as a weekend getaway. The first time or three, the 4 hour drive feels long. After that, you start to realize that it's nothing at all to reach one of the most perfect outdoor playgrounds in the country.

Keikaku

Alright, alright, I'm going to take the job. That's what everyone tells me to do. I'm happy and shocked and grateful I got offered it. I have been very lucky career-wise so far and I should not take that for granted.

Yes, this is a brag thread. I really meant it more as a "SHIT THIS JUST HAPPENED WHAT SHOULD I DO/I NEED HELP!" thread, but clearly I did a poor job expressing that. I'm sorry to anyone who was annoyed, and I am thankful for everyone that has already tried to help. Please keep the advice about moving out there coming.
Really? I never would have guessed it :|

What, specifically, do you want to know that hasn't already been addressed? Some points:
- The weather is leagues better
- SF is a nicer, safer city as is most of the Peninsula in general.
- Lots of good restaurants of whatever type you like
- Lots of activities.
- You're getting paid twice as much.

In short: move here, you bragging douche what the hell.

Alright, alright, I'm going to take the job. That's what everyone tells me to do. I'm happy and shocked and grateful I got offered it. I have been very lucky career-wise so far and I should not take that for granted.

Yes, this is a brag thread. I really meant it more as a "SHIT THIS JUST HAPPENED WHAT SHOULD I DO/I NEED HELP!" thread, but clearly I did a poor job expressing that. I'm sorry to anyone who was annoyed, and I am thankful for everyone that has already tried to help. Please keep the advice about moving out there coming.

Dude. Don´t take the fucking job because people are telling to do so. Take it because you want to work. Or else you might hate working at Google.

Matt

I know people are saying live in SF, and SF is certainly awesome, but if you don't mind a different pace, check out Palo Alto or Redwood City. There are decent clubs/bars in both towns, and some awesome mountain biking trails up towards skyline.

Oh, and you're moving to a region of excellent food. Really top-notch restaurants in almost every peninsula town. It's not like some areas where you have to get into the city before you start finding the 4 and 5 star stuff. In fact, for a while it seemed that every great new restaurant that opened in SF would have a sister location open in Palo Alto. Then again, Google feeds its employees amazingly well (somewhere there's a blog post about the unbelievable perks that Google provides.)

Do know that you WILL need a car (not sure if you have one or not, but it's a requirement for the area). Don't expect much from the beaches. This is Califonia, but it's northern california. Beautiful, but brisk. Instead, go out to the beaches for awesome hikes, incredible abalone (go to Duarte's in Pescadero) fresh artichokes, and fantastic cheap seafood (Barbara's in Half Moon Bay).

And learn to use Tahoe as a weekend getaway. The first time or three, the 4 hour drive feels long. After that, you start to realize that it's nothing at all to reach one of the most perfect outdoor playgrounds in the country.
The car part is an interesting question. I don't have one, but I don't know with the shuttle service and the fleet of cars Google has for employees to borrow if I would need one.

The car part is an interesting question. I don't have one, but I don't know with the shuttle service and the fleet of cars Google has for employees to borrow if I would need one.

Well now. If you live in SF, you don't need a car. It is more of hindrance. Just use a zipcar. and it sounds like google has cars you can borrow down in MV. But if you live on the peninsula, you'll probably need one unless you are on some other google shuttle route. The Mountain View campus is a low density commercial area.

AMUSIX

Getting to and from work really won't be a problem. And if you live in the city, and plan to just stay in the city, I'm sure you'll be fine.

But if you're the type that likes to get out and get active, I'm not sure how much of a leash Google puts on their employee cars. Had a few friends there, and they'd use them to come meet us for lunch or dinner, but I don't recall them ever taking a car out to HMB or anywhere off the peninsula. Someone else here might be able to answer that for you. I'm not sure it's kosher for you to ask them "hey, can I take company cars up to tahoe?" before you even start working....then again, knowing google, the answer will probably be 'yes'.

Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but I know there are people who live in San Francisco and the East Bay and Google provides them shuttles to and from work. I would call HR and ask about it as I wouldn't want to live around Mountain View as a 25 year old.

Also, congrats and welcome!

Swig_

Why does your life sound so much better than mine?

If you don't mind me asking, what is your skillset? Is it IT/Software engineering related or something else? You can be vague if you like.

Google sounds like a fantastic place to work. If the pay is right and makes that area of the country affordable, I'd recommend anyone move out there.

Sorry that I don't have anything more substantial to add.

noah111

Still Alive
Awesome news for you, wish you well in your endeavors! Now, can you tell us what exactly you did (& for who) in DC? I'm curious.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Congrats to the OP! I'd stay with the Obama administration if it were me. But I have my eye on a career in politics eventually.

Google is meh. It's an awesome job but I prefer adventure. Seems like your career path is a little more defined when you're at El Goog.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I can see what you're saying, and I apologies. I clearly didn't think my wording through enough. I really started this thread wanting to know more about the Bay Area. I should have made that more clear.

Can't believe Google is hiring you for communications work when your communication skills in this thread are quite mediocre =p

Phenomic

OP's going to go work for Google. OP has moved on up because OP doesn't have a car, and now he's at the point where he won't even have to drive himself anywhere. He's now got access to the technology that will do it for him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atmk07Otu9U

Seriously con grats. Google can hire the best of the best so you must be doing something right. Also, the way I see it ... I mean you live in America if you end up hating it that much stick with it for a few years save up some money and bail out if you must. That way you won't always be questioning "What if?"

mcrae

Can't believe Google is hiring you for communications work when your communication skills in this thread are quite mediocre =p

you know, i was thinking this exact sentiment, but without the =P face.

guy makes a thread asking a question with no facts to inform people's advice, and then provides less than the bare minimum throughout the thread, just dangling that carrot

douuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuche

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well I'm happy one of us is doing well, I hate my life and am stuck in a dead end university programme right now that's draining the soul and life out of me. Really wish I get run over by a buss tonight while out walking.

Meeeerry xmas and grats.

Kosmo

Banned

OP is getting hired for who he knows, not what he knows. Before long he will be an economic hitman or quasi big brother and not even know it.

Working in or with the White House/ POTUS is more prestigious to me than working for a big successful software company (even if they do have amazing perks) and considering how hard it is to get into Google, I'm guessing your current position was all the more impressive, even to them...... I've never heard of anyone actually being offered double their salary in real life lol.
Especially in the middle of such a poor economy.

It is a hard decision, but I think it would be tough to argue that you'd dislike Mountain View more than D.C. Although, Packing up and leaving friends/family/girlfriends behind isn't something that should be erased with money.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I would choose DICE / Insomniac / Capcom / SNKP / Blizzard / Valve over Google any day.

And yes OP take that sweet job!! Congrats ! XD

Salmonax

Seems like an upgrade on top of an improvement on top of an advancement.

Since you're 25, live in the city and take the shuttle at least for a couple of years. I know a few who do and they basically catch up on their mountains of email on the way to work and arrive ready to get down to bigger things. And when you're ready to settle down you can move to Mountain View or wherever else.

Sounds like a very exciting time for you - I think you'll find the Bay Area to be an outstanding place to live, especially with an amazing job as a foundation.

I moved from State College PA to Mountain View back in 98 as a college student for an internship. Stuffed all our junk sans furniture into our car and took I80 across the country, it was a fun trip. As it was just a summer gig we rented all our furniture and had a short term lease on an apt on Calderon near the Caltrain line. Every morning I walked down to Castro and took the bus into Sunnyvale, then back in the afternoon. We had a car but my g/f used it for her job (nanny to some surgeon in Los Altos who was on call when the President was in the area), and other than that we didn't use it much. Took the train up to SF, into Palo Alto when we wanted to go to the Stanford theater, etc. MV was a pretty nice little town to live in, not as much excitement as SF but we didn't have a ton of cash to be out in the city all the time anyway so being closer to work was just fine. My favorite memory was probably going to SGI's campus (so gorgeous, no wonder they went out of business) to attend a presentation by one of the OpenGL team members to get feedback pre-SIGGRAPH (hi tom mcreynolds!).

I've spent a bunch of time in SF since then, but not lived there. My feeling from guys I know who commuted to South Bay was that it was only worth it because they were constantly taking advantage of SF's night life, and even then the commute was wearing very thin after two years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom