• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I was offered a job in Mountain View, CA.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Just to spill some more haterade on this thread:

When you sign with Google you sign away your chance to be rich. Like... 1% rich. The rest of your life will be comfortable. Your medical bills will be taken care of, your transportation, food, gym, etc... But guess where all that money comes from?

Google employees should be making twice as much as they do, but don't because of all those extra benefits covered. I'd rather work in high finance and not have that shit covered but get paid what I'm actually worth to the company.

If you stayed with Obama, you would be on the 1% path. You could get whatever job you wanted after his administration. You would be a shoe-in for big 3 consulting.

Oh well, have a nice life.

teiresias

I'm also not sure working at Google in a non-tech capacity, which is what it sounds like this job is, is nearly as interesting as being in DC and working in communications dealing with government policy.

When you sign with Google you sign away your chance to be rich. Like... 1% rich. The rest of your life will be comfortable. Your medical bills will be taken care of, your transportation, food, gym, etc... But guess where all that money comes from?

Google employees should be making twice as much as they do, but don't because of all those extra benefits covered. I'd rather work in high finance and not have that shit covered but get paid what I'm actually worth to the company.

If you stayed with Obama, you would be on the 1% path. You could get whatever job you wanted after his administration. You would be a shoe-in for big 3 consulting.

eh - working for mckinsey or bain is a nice way to become a hum-drum upper class lifer. go work for google and meet some awesome buddies to found companies with and make it real big like a fucking champ.

ToxicAdam

Hey gaf. Living with a model who let's me do whatever I want and gives blowjobs everyday. I have a chance to move to a luxury penthouse and live with 3 supermodels that will do whatever I want and give multiple blowjobs everyday. Really conflicted here...

Matt

Hey gaf. Living with a model who let's me do whatever I want and gives blowjobs everyday. I have a chance to move to a luxury penthouse and live with 3 supermodels that will do whatever I want and give multiple blowjobs everyday. Really conflicted here...
Now THAT would be a brag thread.

Salmonax

If you play it safe by not playing it safe you can end up working for a penthouse and blowjob consulting firm.

Xun

It's like this at a lot of companies.

They sugar-coat long working unsocial hours with "benefits" to keep you at work at all times.

Kosmo

Banned
I'm also not sure working at Google in a non-tech capacity, which is what it sounds like this job is, is nearly as interesting as being in DC and working in communications dealing with government policy.

I will bet dollars to donuts he will still be working with Washington folks. You don't hire 25 year old communications guys who have worked with the President and his staff because you think he is good at communications. You hire him because he knows people with true influence.

linko9

Congrats man, ignore all the haters. I live in the Bay Area myself, but never been to Mountain View. Great area. Got a friend that works for Google, and he loves it.

hiryu2015

Private industry loves to poach federal gov employees.

not really weird.
While I was a gov employee, I didn't leave for private industry. The "weird" comment was mostly in response to the geographical move to PA/MV. Still, shit's been awesome since and only gonna get better

-PXG-

Unless you have parents or relatives who are very ill, there is no reason why you shouldn't accept the job and move. Fuck friends, fuck the girl. Take the job and move forward with your life.

I work in Mountain View (well Palo Alto actually) just a few blocks from the Google Campus but I live in South San Francisco. Either way it is pretty expensive. But I guess if you are coming from DC you might already be used to it.

Make sure you negotiate a good salary. Do your homework on that. Google tends to pay a bit lower because you get lots of other extras but your rent is going to be expensive. When I moved out here in 2000 I had to have roommates for years even though I have a pretty good job. If you are accustomed to living on your own you might have to adjust your expectations.

I know 3 people who turned down offers from Google. It all comes down to what you do and who you surround yourself with.

Brand name is really who and what you know. Nothing more than that.

Suairyu

Banned

Job satisfaction >>>>>>>>>> salary

Once you hit a decent salary to get by comfortably with a enough disposable income to finance your hobbies and have holidays every now and again, "more money" becomes negligible compared to how much you're going to love going to work every day.

I hear people love working at Google. If he earns enough to have an affluent lifestyle (and he will), why should being even richer be a goal compared to a lifetime of "goddamn I love my job"?

I will bet dollars to donuts he will still be working with Washington folks. You don't hire 25 year old communications guys who have worked with the President and his staff because you think he is good at communications. You hire him because he knows people with true influence.

Wow. You don't know anything about the OP. Why you have to be pushing your political views in every thread? Guy could be really good at his job. Google doesn't hire idiots.

Job satisfaction >>>>>>>>>> salary

Once you hit a decent salary to get by comfortably with a enough disposable income to finance your hobbies and have holidays every now and again, "more money" becomes negligible compared to how much you're going to love going to work every day.

I hear people love working at Google. If he earns enough to have an affluent lifestyle (and he will), why should being even richer be a goal compared to a lifetime of "goddamn I love my job"?

Because to think there's this "dream job" out there tailor made for you and you'll always be doing the same thing at the same place is incredibly misguided.

Unless you're your own boss there's absolutely no job out there that will give you everything you'd ever wanted.

Every job has its competitive advantages and disadvantages, and pay is a big part of that.

FStop7

Banned
...And I live in DC now. So for people who live out there in the Bay Area...advice?

Mountain View is nice! That's practically the heart of Silicon Valley if the tech industry appeals to you beyond Google.

There are a lot of nice places to live around there that range from similar to what you probably pay in the DC area up to "insanity" if you look at places like Palo Alto.

I say go for it, but I'm a little biased because I'm also considering moving to that area.

When you sign with Google you sign away your chance to be rich. Like... 1% rich.

Yes and no. Yes in that it's unlikely he will become a googillionaire off of Google stock. No in that being paid well means he will have money available to invest elsewhere and if he is an entrepreneurial person then having his previous job and now Google on his resume creates a lot of additional opportunity.

Kosmo

Banned
Wow. You don't know anything about the OP. Why you have to be pushing your political views in every thread? Guy could be really good at his job. Google doesn't hire idiots.

Has nothing to do with politics. People close to all Presidents would be in a similar positions, regardless of party.

Suairyu

Banned
Because to think there's this "dream job" out there tailor made for you and you'll always be doing the same thing at the same place is incredibly misguided.
I didn't use the term dream job, I used the term job satisfaction. A job is always a job, work is always work. But if you're happy with your work, are able to take a sense of pride an ownership in your efforts, surrounded by great people and have good benefits then that is a much more valuable thing than bigger salary.

By all means, if a job that offers all that and with more pay comes along then take it, but the "you'll never be 1% rich" argument is a silly one, as it implies that wage is the most important element to choosing a job. Once you're passed that "I am comfortable, have savings and can fund all my hobbies and holidays" point, wage (should) becomes much less of a factor and questions such as "do I want to move there?" and "is that more enjoyable than what I am currently doing?" become much more important.

For advice on moving?

The Mountain View area is a buttwad for commuting. These highways all form a really nasty clusterfuck and I hated dealing with them when I visited a friend in that area(used to live in Oakland, CA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_237

Your pay sounds like it'd kick so much ass, you could afford to be anywhere you want so I'd choose your place based on what commute sucks the least.

SolKane

Someone I went to high school with works at Google, and if I think about it too much I get jealous. Anyway, I've always wondered what exactly people do who live in that part of the Bay area. It's not exactly San Francisco in terms of things/people density, so if you're a young, single person wouldn't you get bored living in that wealthy suburban tundra fairly quickly? And if you did want to live in the good part (SF) wouldn't that commute drive you insane?

SolKane

I hate to break into your delusion but unless you're born into the 1% you're about as statistically likely to end up there no matter who you work for. Gov't bureaucrats don't make CEO money.

Mik2121

Someone I went to high school with works at Google, and if I think about it too much I get jealous. Anyway, I've always wondered what exactly people do who live in that part of the Bay area. It's not exactly San Francisco in terms of things/people density, so if you're a young, single person wouldn't you get bored living in that wealthy suburban tundra fairly quickly? And if you did want to live in the good part (SF) wouldn't that commute drive you insane?

Yeah. My brother works on Google too and he's going through the process to move to the MV offices soon but thankfully I was also able to get the job I always wanted so hey!... I won't make as much as he does (at least for now), but hell if I won't be enjoying it :p In the end, I think that's what matters.

Alright, alright, I'm going to take the job. That's what everyone tells me to do. I'm happy and shocked and grateful I got offered it. I have been very lucky career-wise so far and I should not take that for granted.

Yes, this is a brag thread. I really meant it more as a "SHIT THIS JUST HAPPENED WHAT SHOULD I DO/I NEED HELP!" thread, but clearly I did a poor job expressing that. I'm sorry to anyone who was annoyed, and I am thankful for everyone that has already tried to help. Please keep the advice about moving out there coming.

My advice for you is that you tell Google's law dept. to start recruiting straight out of law school. You'd be blessed to have me as a coworker.

My policy in general is to keep a tight lid on job offers until I've signed the papers and it's been approved. No point in letting third parties know any of the details until everything has been confirmed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well at least OP seems to be going to a top tier google job. Not all google jobs are prestigious, actually most of them aren't. Googles done a great job at brainwashing people that they are the best place to work ever.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So OP can you answer some questions?

What do you do for the Obama Administration?

How did you get your employment there?

How did you get this job offer from Google? Did you apply. Did Google just find and contact you based on your work in the administration?

I have a lot of opportunities that other people don't have and because of certain set of assets I won't have problems getting a job anytime soon, but I can't say I'm not jelly of your opportunities.

Also I live right by in North Virginia.

aznpxdd

I agree. I'm sure working for Google is super fucking awesome (from all those articles floating around), but I agree with with the bolded part.

I'd have to think pretty hard if I was offered a job at Google compare to what I have now & the future.

Troidal

Your medical bills will be taken care of, your transportation, food, gym, etc... But guess where all that money comes from?

So true. They offer you all these "extra" benefits, but I would rather have them pay me more than getting free food and drinks, etc. at the office. It's so much cheaper for them to supply all these as opposed to paying you more salary. Besides, that's the trick of making you stay at the office the whole time. You dont need to walk out of the office because "everything is available to you at the office." Welcome to corporate prison.

Not sure what the OP's contract offer is, but just think about it. Don't let these "extra" benefits fool you....

Salmonax

Anyway, I've always wondered what exactly people do who live in that part of the Bay area. It's not exactly San Francisco in terms of things/people density, so if you're a young, single person wouldn't you get bored living in that wealthy suburban tundra fairly quickly? And if you did want to live in the good part (SF) wouldn't that commute drive you insane?

I don't live down there, but I'd probably go to Palo Alto for fun. And the commute from SF is somewhat mitigated by the shuttle Google offers to employees, with wi-fi and all.

Were I in OP's shoes, I would absolutely do SF for at least a year or two before moving to the burbs.

Nah, like corporate communications. Across the whole company.

So.....you are a 25 year old in Marketing who google have scalped from Obama...right.

Sorry but im a bit suspicious. If you were a 25 year old programming genious working for them then yes id understand, however i wouldnt be hiring a 25yo marketing exec for my team and paying a large salary.

I know you already decided to take the job, but just in case you aren't 100% convinced yet read this:

https://plus.google.com/u/1/110981030061712822816/posts/UgCL6YRwgbR

Congratulations you lucky bastard.
bwhahahhahahahahahahah omg that it took you longer than 1 sec to think about it bwhahahhahahahaha.
Amazing True Story: One day I started getting jealous of this digital piano that people were playing every day. So I sent a nice email to someone in facilities asking if there was any chance we might be able to get a guitar. She said it sounded like a good idea and she promised to look into it.

A month went by, and I started to get a little sad, because I thought they were just not interested. But I sent her a little email and asked if there was any update. Just hoping, you know, against hope.

She told me: "Oh yeah, I'm sorry -- I forgot to tell you. We talked it over with the directors, and we all decided the best thing to do was to build a music studio."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom