• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition |OT| Because "ultimate" is so 1995.

fernoca

Oyy09.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more details about the game, controls, and other things related to Mortal Kombat throughout the years, you're welcome to check the original |OT| for the game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developed by: NetherRealm Studios
Published by: Warner Bros. Interactive
Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 & PlayStation Vita

E9o6t.png

Release Date (PS3 & 360): February 28, 2012 (NA) | March 2, 2012 (PAL)
Suggested Retail Price (PS3 & 360): $59.99 (US) | £24.99 (UK)
(price difference explained below)

ph2K2.png

[Vita -specific-] OT by ReaperXL07
Release Date (Vita): May 1, 2012 (NA) | May 4, 2012 (PAL)
Suggested Retail Price (Vita): $39.99 (US) | £34.99 (UK)

What's so "komplete" about this?
The Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition includes everything that was released in the original game on April 2011; plus the following:
4 extra characters:
  • Skarlett
  • Kenshi
  • Rain
  • Freddy Krueger
Each with their respective 2 fatalities, babalities, X-ray, Ladder Mode endings etc. None of the extra characters has alternate costumes.

15 extra-retro costumes:
  • Scorpion (MKI)
  • Reptile (MKI)
  • Ermac (MKI)
  • Mileena (UMK3)
  • Noob-Saibot (MKII)
  • Smoke (MKII)
  • Cyrax (MK3)
  • Sektor (MK3)
  • Cyber Sub-Zero (MK3)
  • Sub-Zero (MKI, MK3 -unmasked-)
  • Jade (MKII, UMK3)
  • Kitana (MKII, UMK3)
This costumes were originally given by preordering the game, inside select copies, buying the full-retro pack and with
the individual character data of the extra DLC characters. All this, rounding an 6+ hours Story Mode, Ladder Mode
(basically arcade mode with individual "what ifs" endings), Tag-Team, various 'Test' Modes,
artwork, music and both local and online multiplayer; all on the disc.

NOTE: The patches that fixed a few problems and the network connection, are expected to be in the disc too, but that hasn't been confirmed...yet.
Will update when said information is confirmed.

Why retro Ermac from MKI and why retro Cyber Sub-Zero? Where's my Cyber Smoke?
Since Ermac was a rumored character from MKI, he was given a retro costume based on that look.
Cyber Sub-Zero took the place of Cyber Smoke in the new story/cannon; so he was given a look similar to the cybers from back then.​

Why the price difference? Why $59.99 in the US?
Aside the extra content on the disc, the US version includes digital copies* of the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie and the 2011-soundtrack
'Songs Inspired by the Warriors'; along an extra track. UK version doesn't includes those 2 extras. (*in a voucher)

Is there a PC version in the works?
At the moment, there isn't one. The developers and publisher has been gauging interest about this, but at the moment WB has no plans for one.​

Is Kratos still on the PS3 version?
Of course, along his respective alternate costume, arena/stage, Ladder Mode Ending, etc.​

Do I need an "Online Pass" to play this online?
You don't. (Check here for more information.)
Like the version that was released last year, an online pass is indeed required to play. All new copies include one already.
Gamestop gave online passes, to used buyers of the original game; but is unknown if they'll do the same for this version.

If you already have an Online Pass and buy this version, you don't need to redeem the one in this version or buy a new one.
The Online Pass carries a price of $9.99/800 Microsoft Points, by separate.

Can I play online with people that don't have this version (and vice-versa)?
Yes, as long as the person with the regular version has the necessary downloads.*

With the releases of the DLC, individual packs were released for free that included the data of said characters, along 2 retro costumes.
The retro costumes were free to use for anyone, the rest of the data allowed people that didn't purchased the extra character(s), to play with people that did.

Now, there was a problem with the preorder codes that unlocked retro costumes. This "problem" caused people to not been able to play online (desync) after
choosing one of those preorder-costumes. This was fixed in the Xbox 360 version, by deleting and redownloading that download; and in the PS3 version via a patch.

But even after that, some people still had the same problem. The only "solution" in that case, was to delete the save, patch and downloaded data.

This post, includes misc. details about the online; along with instructions about PSN chat and Xbox Live.
(*this only applies to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions)

What about the Vita version?
While the PS Vita version won't carry a subtitle like 'Komplete Edition', much less 'Vitality'; don't be fooled... it's getting the "komplete" version of the PS3 game
(minus 3D and the digital soundtrack/movie), along with other features; including:
  • You can activate the 'Special Bar' by touching the screen
  • You can perform fatalities, by swiping a finger on the screen
  • A second Challenge Tower with 150 new challenges; including many that use the Vita extra capabilities like touchscreen, gryos, etc.
  • 15 new costumes:
    MKII variants for:
    • Skarlett
    • Mileena
    • Sub-Zero
    • Scorpion
    • Reptile
    • Ermac

UMK3 variants for:
    • Skarlett
    • Scorpion
    • Sub-Zero (masked)
    • Ermac
    • Noob Saibot
    • Smoke
    • Rain
    • Reptile

Alternates for:
    • Kenshi
    • Skarlett
  • More unlockable artwork

Videos:

Etc.
Bought the game, owned the original and the DLC; but have problems with the extra characters?
(From TestYourMight.com)

"If you are experiencing difficulties unlocking your Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition (MKKE) DLC characters it is due to the marketplace content located on your HDD.
Simply open up the XBox Guide > System Settings > Storage > Hard Drive > Games and Apps > Mortal Kombat > Delete Kenshi, Rain, Skarlet and Freddy and
all of the DLC characters will be automatically unlocked next time you start up the game. This is for XBox only. If you are having problems with Playstation,
I would suggest finding where your game data is located and erase all DLC characters."​

qvyf1.png

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Cool, I won't be picking this up since I have the DLC for the original version, but I hope this gives it a boost in players for online matches.

burgerdog

That's odd, I don't remember seeing a new OT for other games that get the 'game of the year' re-release with all dlc included. Don't have much to say other than I really enjoyed the story mode.

kuYuri

I sold off my original copy just in time, got back most of the money I had spent in the first place. I plan on buying this version once it's had several price cuts.

fernoca

Is this coming to Vita?
Yeah, though without the "Komplete Edition" subtitle. The Vita version is basically the PS3 version, but with some more retro-costumes and the extra-Vita modes.

As more details are released about that version, might either update the main post or make a separate thread with all the information and differences.

Vita version is expected around April.

Just want to add for all that missed the vanilla release.

The story mode is fantastic for MK fans full of cutscenes and a large arc that competently reboots the franchise telling the story of MK1-3

As far as complexity within the combat system it's a middle ground it's not nearly as difficult to do well at as street fighter 4 but if you put in the time your going to see the rewards.

Using coins won from fights and the various challenges you can unlock a host of content in the krypt from concept art to costumes.

The fatalitys are pretty awesome aswell as are the X-Ray moves

Just want to add for all that missed the vanilla release.

The story mode is fantastic for MK fans full of cutscenes and a large arc that competently reboots the franchise telling the story of MK1-3

As far as complexity within the combat system it's a middle ground it's not nearly as difficult to do well at as street fighter 4 but if you put in the time your going to see the rewards.

Using coins won from fights and the various challenges you can unlock a host of content in the krypt from concept art to costumes.

The fatalitys are pretty awesome aswell as are the X-Ray moves

Speaking of which....you think there's gonna be a "Kutscene Viewer" in this version at all?

Magnus

Cyber Sub-Zero a 'retro' costume? My nerdy soul takes issue with this!

Unless I missed a story point where either of the two Sub-Zeros ever went cyber.

Speaking of which....you think there's gonna be a "Kutscene Viewer" in this version at all?

I doubt i, honestly it seems like this is just your standard GOTY deal vanilla game + DLC. Vita version is the only one with any changes I believe so its possible we could see a cutscenes viewer in that but I doubt it.

The only real problem I had with MK9 was that the character specific endings like most fighting games consisted of those boring voice over artwork cutscenes and not actual cutscenes using the game assets which would of been much much better.

Its a gripe with every game really . SF4 does the same thing despite them actually having small asset using cutscenes but reverting to artwork for the prologue and epilogue

Cyber Sub-Zero a 'retro' costume? My nerdy soul takes issue with this!

Unless I missed a story point where either of the two Sub-Zeros ever went cyber.

It's part of The reboot series subzero goes cyber instead of smoke
It should be tagged in the OP

fernoca

It's part of The reboot series subzero goes cyber instead of smoke
It should be tagged in the OP
Hehehe....thought of that at first; but decided not to since while this edition might get people that didn't bought the original game, that character has been in tournaments, around a few avatars in here and was tagged/spoilered in the original OT for a couple of months.

If people get offended by that, I might change it then. :p

Amagon

Best single player for a fighting game, hands down. I'm ready to get this game again since I didn't buy any of the dlc. I'll wait for a price drop to be honest though. Too many fighting games at the moment. Hopefully, we'll hear an annoucement for Shaolin Monks 2 soon.

*crosses fingers*

Khezu

I would have preferred an actual updated version instead of a GOTY thing, but people keep whining about fighting game milking.

Hopefully MK2/10/X comes out next year along with the movie.

Khezu

No playable Stunt Man makes me sad.

The challenge tower dude who has jax's normals? Or the dude with the mocap suit? Why would you want either of those?

Though the skins from the challenge tower should have been usable, especially inferno scorpion and cyber reptile.

Santar

A shame they din't finish off the survival and endurance modes for this version.
According to Ed Boon they were working on those for the main game but ran out of time.

Does anyone know if it's going to come out in Australia? The original MK9 was banned here and while the appropriate R18 rating has been/is in the process of being introduced now this game may have a chance. It just depends on whether it counts as a new game or just a re-release of MK9 (since apparently already banned games can't get resubmitted to be given an R18 rating, including stuff like "GOTY" editions, though if WB cared enough I think they'd argue there's enough original content in this to count as a new game?).

If worst comes to worst I could always just import from the UK. Thanks in advance!

The challenge tower dude who has jax's normals? Or the dude with the mocap suit? Why would you want either of those?

Though the skins from the challenge tower should have been usable, especially inferno scorpion and cyber reptile.

The guy from Johnny's Challenge Tower fight. He's just so endearingly lame that he should be made a full fledged character.

I would have preferred an actual updated version instead of a GOTY thing, but people keep whining about fighting game milking.

Hopefully MK2/10/X comes out next year along with the movie.

Its so disappointing to me that they are keeping some costumes Vita exclusive. Way to put a stake through my heart NRS :(

I want those MK2/UMK3 ninja costumes :(

i bought this... can't wait for it to get here, it's been years since i played a proper MK game...

now, the question is: who should i pick to play through the campaign? hmmm

What I'd really like to know is if the game is any different or all it does is include a code for all of the DLC. If it includes all DLC on the disc and everything is unlocked from the get go, it would be very useful for tournaments.

i bought this... can't wait for it to get here, it's been years since i played a proper MK game...

now, the question is: who should i pick to play through the campaign? hmmm

You can't choose who you play during the story mode. But trust me, its better that way. Forces you to learn how to play more characters.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I bought the PS3 version but barely played it online because the PSN is horrible.

Its a little disappointing that its 60 bucks because I was planning on picking it up for the 360 when released.

Feb 28 release date plus SFxT and ME3 are just around the corner.....very very tough.

kyubajin

Finally I'll be getting this game! I really wanted to get it when it came out but I was so busy (still am) that I would've probably never even finished the story mode.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I pre-ordered this as soon as I heard about it. I am eagerly anticipating its release. Main reason I skipped on the original is because I heard about their plans for DLC.

I really wish Capcom would do something like this w/ SFIV and their other fighters and put out a version with all the DLC (costumes) on the disc. I'd be more inclined to support them. I added up the cost of all the costumes for SFIV once and it was ridiculous.

Edit: Ugh, I just saw the price increase (it was $39.99 when announced). Lame excuse. I could not care less about those extras. Pre-order cancelled. I'm serious. It will be $40 or less within a month of release.

fernoca

Fixed some typos and added a few misc. details about the Vita version; since I doubt an OT for that version will be wanted. :p

Also changed the picture at the bottom, to the renders of the extra-retro costumes that were added as free DLC and are part of the 15 included on the disc.

AEREC

Any chance the digital version will be dropping in price a little on the PSN? Id rather have this on the HDD.

Any chance the digital version will be dropping in price a little on the PSN? Id rather have this on the HDD.

I think its $50 on PSN right now. So plus all the DLC I think that comes up to $70. You'd be paying a $10 premium but IMO its worth it. I got MK9 on GoD for 360 and I've been able to play it a lot more now because I can just pop in for a couple of quick matches anytime I want.

fernoca

Oh, so they changed the soundtrack??
It's different and separate from the movie soundtrack, or the original game's character soundtrack that had the characters singing from the 90s.

The 2011 one has song from Skirillex, Tokimonsta, Congorock etc.

Edit: Ugh, I just saw the price increase (it was $39.99 when announced). Lame excuse. I could not care less about those extras. Pre-order cancelled. I'm serious. It will be $40 or less within a month of release.
It wasn't announced at $39.99. It was expected by some at that price, but WB's previous "game of the years" has been at full price (Arkham Asylum for example); so in some ways it was also expected at that price.

Though is still dumb how it IS $39.99 basically in the UK; so they seem to have added those "extras" in the US to justify the $60 and make a quick buck out of those that buy it first, then after it doesn't sell much; put it at $40.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I just got this update from Amazon. This is for the Vita version:

"Mortal Kombat"
Release date: December 25, 2012
Estimated arrival date: December 27, 2012

No way it's getting this much of a delay.

xemumanic

I wish they would add in 3D to the 360 version much like Batman GOTY (if I'm not mistaken) but otherwise, good jorb.

fernoca

I just got this update from Amazon. This is for the Vita version:

No way it's getting this much of a delay.
It isn't getting delayed...yet. :p
A few reported it was just a mistake from Amazon. Since it was recently confirmed for April 27 in the UK, and while the US is still "April 2012", it will be demoed at the 'Vita Hill Social Clubs' today (February 24).

Does anyone know if it's going to come out in Australia? The original MK9 was banned here and while the appropriate R18 rating has been/is in the process of being introduced now this game may have a chance. It just depends on whether it counts as a new game or just a re-release of MK9 (since apparently already banned games can't get resubmitted to be given an R18 rating, including stuff like "GOTY" editions, though if WB cared enough I think they'd argue there's enough original content in this to count as a new game?).

If worst comes to worst I could always just import from the UK. Thanks in advance!

My understanding is that it won't come out in Australia for two reasons -- even if the legislation passes, it won't take effect until January 2013, and I believe it's conditional on no banned games being resubmitted for classification as R18+. It might theoretically be possible to resubmit the Komplete Edition in 2013 on the basis that it's different from the original game, but that seems unlikely and in any case it doesn't help you now!

Top Bottom