• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupei

Full series spoilers continue
And I don't understand why she gets so much shit for having a thing for Daario. Plenty of other characters in the book series have acted like giddy idiots when they've fallen in love with the wrong people, starting from fan favorites like Jon, Robb, Tyrion & Jaime, yet suddenly because it's a teen girl it's somehow much worse.

Agreed as well, though I guess I have a potential theory. (Again, full series spoilers)
I think Dany might get more shit for the Daario thing because it's so easy to feel compelled to make excuses for the others. Jaime is introduced as a lovesick idiot who gradually redeems himself; Jon is already portrayed as a bit of an emo teen so making poor teenage decisions is to be expected; and Tyrion is forgiven almost anything for the sake of trying to not be Forever Alone. With Dany, she made a lot of young, naive mistakes early on in the series but by book three, as you point out, she has matured into a kickass leader who makes intelligent decisions and has even shown restraint. The infatuation with Daario coming later could read as the character regressing rather than progressing.

Plus she falls for a guy and Jon wants to screw a hot redhead. Which one do you think the majority of her predominately male critics is more likely to empathize with?

Retro

And I don't understand why
she gets so much shit for having a thing for Daario. Plenty of other characters in the book series have acted like giddy idiots when they've fallen in love with the wrong people, starting from fan favorites like Jon, Robb, Tyrion & Jaime, yet suddenly because it's a teen girl it's somehow much worse.

Because she went from book three
buying the Unsullied and then turning them and her dragons on the Slavemasters and basically laying waste to an entire city
to book 5
losing all confidence and swooning for exotic badboys. It's like watching a strong, confident leader let something turn her to a scared kitten after books and books of her saying she was the Dragon and unleashing blood and fury across the Eastern lands.
. Just seemed like a complete 180 for the character, gender has nothing to do with it.

bengraven

Saw this on Reddit:

3onqx1.jpg

bengraven

Yeah, I noticed the similar appearance.

So what is the reasoning behind the change in Asha's name?

Edit: Confusing with Osha I assume?

You're exactly correct.

Which is funny, because Osha would sound better as "Yara" I think.

Also, why the hell do 90% of fantasy females have an "-a" at the end of their name...

stupei

Yeah, I noticed the similar appearance.

So what is the reasoning behind the change in Asha's name?

Edit: Confusing with Osha I assume?
Presumably.

Which is amusing in a way, because there's a fair chance that anyone likely to get them confused has no idea what Osha's name is since the show pretty much never says it.

Dude, it looks like the Hound catches him clean in the face with a spiked Mace. Even through armor, that's gonna bloody him up. Hitting the ground was probably the least of his problems though I would imagine it certainly didn't help.
Not to mention that a small injury can cause lots of bleeding. A torn eyebrow for instance makes you bleed like a stuck pig. A spiked mace to the face even though it's protected by plate can cause worse injuries I presume.

PS. clear continuity error in the scene though. Shield and mace switch hands during the melee.

Famassu

Because she went from book three
buying the Unsullied and then turning them and her dragons on the Slavemasters and basically laying waste to an entire city
to book 5
losing all confidence and swooning for exotic badboys. It's like watching a strong, confident leader let something turn her to a scared kitten after books and books of her saying she was the Dragon and unleashing blood and fury across the Eastern lands.
. Just seemed like a complete 180 for the character, gender has nothing to do with it.
Spoilers continue, from all books
Yeah, but ruling a city is COMPLETELY different from being at war. As the second book already showcased, Dany isn't good at being subtle or being around subtle, scheming people. In ADWD she is trying to rule a city not by killing everyone who opposes her, but by playing the game. And if she's to EVER succeed in taking Westeros over, she needs those kinds of skills too (and she understands that, which is why she stayed in Meereen in the first place). Wreacking havoc is no way of building a good or at least a working relationship with the important people in and outside of Meereen. She's somewhat similar to Robert. Robert was good at killing things too, but when you put a crown on his head all that goes to shit. Where she differs from Robert is that she is at least willing to learn, to at least TRY to be worthy of that crown. If she was like Robert, she'd just fuck Daario and whoever handsome men came her way and leave the rest to others.

Being a dragon is all fine and dandy when you're at war, but she doesn't want to be a repeat of the Mad King, slaying people she disagrees with (or who disagree with her) left & right. She hasn't lost confidence, she's just trying to be something (a peaceful ruler) she's not (or at least, she's trying to be something she shouldn't be in the situation where she & Meereen is in). This is in addition to the fact that she's losing control over her dragons and doesn't really know what to do with them, when "BURN IT TO THE GROUND" is not the solution to 99% of the problems she's facing. Anyone would start second guessing some of the choices at that point, especially given the kind of choices she has to make. And part of that doubt comes from everyone around her telling her to do the exact opposite of what she'd want to do. Still, as the ending of ADWD implies, she's done playing games. I personally see Dany's AWDW story arc as something that was quite necessary for her to go through. If she hadn't experienced all that in Meereen, she would've experienced it in Westeros, with probably much deadlier results.

And again, what's so bad about "swooning for exotic badboys"? Let's not forget what happens to Robb because she marries the wrong girl. Or what happens because Jaime has a moment of lapse in judgement over the woman she loves(/d). Or what Tyrion <3 Shae causes. Just because she has some strategic wit & is good at warfare doesn't mean she's immune to feelings of lust & love, especially given her age & especially when people older and should-be-wiser are not.

I am confused! Just came home from a vacation in Rome and there's not one, but two episodes to catch up to. What's happening?
HBO accidentally released Ep 2 on HBO Go in a few European countries, and now it's out in the wild. If you'd like to discuss this episode before it airs on Sunday, please use spoiler tags and label them appropriately.

I might catch hell for this comment, but:

She showed far more range in that Jimmy Kimmel segment than most of GoT.

Well, at least to me anyway.

bengraven

Again, I will say this: her Cersei is greatly improved this year. Episode 2 has some really really good moments with her, including one of my favorite scenes so far this season.

If she'd just read the damn books her Cersei would improve tenfold.

"I think the books are about Robert and her true love and how she comes to realize this over the years. And her love for Jaime is due to her missing her mother. And I think deep down she really appreciates Tyrion and is just being mean because big sister's need to be tough to help little brothers grow into men."

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
"I think the books are about Robert and her true love and how she comes to realize this over the years. And her love for Jaime is due to her missing her mother. And I think deep down she really appreciates Tyrion and is just being mean because big sister's need to be tough to help little brothers grow into men."

Haha...is this real ? Damn, how can she NOT read the books.

RE: Shitty fall.

They switch the viewing plane twice in that shitty scene. Big "no-no".

Not even mentioning the falls aren't even close to the same angle.

scosher

Lena Headey seems like the type who always falls into a fit of giggles while filming, forcing multiple retakes. But then she's so likable that the other cast don't mind.

Frost_Ace

Again, I will say this: her Cersei is greatly improved this year. Episode 2 has some really really good moments with her, including one of my favorite scenes so far this season.

Did she actually say that?

Fuck. No. God damnit Headey, Cersei is not some misunderstood woman; she is a vain, hateful, deceitful borderline sociopath. Stop trying to twist her into something she's not.

Bitch nearly twisted Tyrion's dick off when he was an infant in his crib.

I seriously don't care about her acting but her gross misunderstanding of the character pisses me off.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Fuck. No. God damnit Headey, Cersei is not some misunderstood woman; she is a vain, hateful, deceitful borderline sociopath. Stop trying to twist her into something she's not.

I seriously don't care about her acting but her gross misunderstanding of the character pisses me off.
How about your lack of reading past that post in this thread?

bengraven

Did she actually say that?

No, she didn't say that. I was only mocking some of the things she's said in the past.

Example: &#8220;I think she can&#8217;t admit it to anybody,&#8221; the actress continued, referring to Cersei&#8217;s upcoming Season 2 predicament. &#8220;She&#8217;s dying to ask for help, and she never will.&#8221;

I said this last year and people honestly thought I was quoting her:

"Secretly," Headey stated, "I believe Cercei doesn't want power. She wanted a little shop in King's Landing. Maybe with Ned Stark because I believe she was madly in love with him, even up until the moment of his death. They would have had a little shop there selling chips and Ned would fight in tournaments. That's how I'm playing her."

Despite the fact that you took my joke as truth and I should be mocking you for that, I totally feel how you feel about Lena Headey. I was her biggest detractor last year and going into this year. As I've said before, there are a couple scenes, one in particular, that actually sold me on her in this episode 2.

Frost_Ace

No, she didn't say that. I was only mocking some of the things she's said in the past.

Example: “I think she can’t admit it to anybody,” the actress continued, referring to Cersei’s upcoming Season 2 predicament. “She’s dying to ask for help, and she never will.”

"Secretly," Headey stated, "I believe Cercei doesn't want power. She wanted a little shop in King's Landing. Maybe with Ned Stark because I believe she was madly in love with him, even up until the moment of his death. They would have had a little shop there selling chips and Ned would fight in tournaments. That's how I'm playing her."

Despite the fact that you took my joke as truth and I should be mocking you for that, I totally feel how you feel about Lena Headey. I was her biggest detractor last year and going into this year. As I've said before, there are a couple scenes, one in particular, that actually sold me on her in this episode 2.

Ok, what she actually said it's even crazier.

Snake

lol, I didn't notice the disclaimer above at first and even I (a noted Headey apologist) was about to freak out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom