• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarves in Games: New Tech or No, Pathetic?

Here in the year 2012, there has been a mass influx of scarves in videogame character design. Some Gaming Journalists™ and critics claim this is a short lived fad. Others aren't complete morons. And me? Well I'm here to enlighten all of you on why scarves are the paragon of style, especially in games.

Games are pretty cool. Scarves? Pretty dope. Scarves in games?

TRnhf.jpg

Don't even get me started. Or rather, you don't have to. Cause I'm starting right here. This is a salute to the most fabulous accessory in (and out) of gaming.

Ladies and gentlemen, hold on to ya pants scarves. We're gonna get this shit started.

pf5NEh.jpg

Damn scarf was too big to not put it in a quote box!

Alright kids, we're gonna start this off slow, just to get the scarf-noobies a chance to catch up here, and get acquainted with the godlike-ness that are scarves. Here, we got a pretty basic scarf on everyone's favorite anger management session buddy, Ryu Hayabusa. Yeah, standard fare. But did I mention he's a ninja? Do ninjas need scarves? Do they actually offer anything to a ninja?

That was a test. If you answered no to any of those questions, might I suggest you get the hell out. Seriously. Get.

Cause you don't need a reason to scarf up!

You just need to scarf up.

jZWbd.jpg

And wading a bit deeper into the world of scarves, we got a little sumthin' to appease you Smash fans
13 year olds
or F-Zero hipsters. Little bit of motherfucking Captain Falcon bringing his neat little scarf onto the battlefield
13 year olds
and/or racetrack. This is one badass dude who knows a little bit of scarf fashion magic goes a long way. Falcon Abortioning dudes? Scarf makes you look like you're Jesus. Wrecking the racetrack like you're on space-drugs? Scarf blowing in the wind makes you look like one damn cool dude.

m01OH.jpg

And then we have Rita Mordio from Tales of Vesperia for all yall weeaboo animu fankids. Now I know what you're thinking: "She's not even wearing a scarf!" Doesn't matter, she's so kick-ass that she uses scarves to kick the enemy's ass. When she's not spamming Tidal Wave and Meteor Storm on bosses, she's using her scarf to kick your ass from one side of the battlefield to the next. She's got style, she's got substance, and she's got sass, all good traits for a scarf user. If you're in need of a weapon for a protagonist, make sure you consider the scarf.

GAHXT.jpg

Now for a more recently released excellenté scarf, we got those wanderers over at Journey. The desert's got a hold of that anti-gravity scarf technology for damn sure. ThatGameCompany is a dev that knows its scarves. And its mystery. What are the dudes in Journey looking for? That mountain in the background? Nah, I'm pretty sure it's motherfucking scarves.

Now I know what you're thinking. These are all protagonists with scarves. What up wit dat, OP, sir? Well I'm getting to it, you asshole.

GBYQ7.png

We got a throw back to the golden ages of gaming for all you golden aged gamers. We got Gruntilda in the house, representing dat two-tone beauty of a scarf. She's had her shit on lock for so long, Harry Potter wish he thought of this shit first.

AGCZb.jpg

Here's a more niche character with ABSOLUTELY NO LACKING in the scarf department. Viewtiful Scarf. Scarftiful Joe. Scarf Scarf.
scarf.
Just look at that thing. Need I say more? No.
But I will anyway. Cause we're talking about fuckin' scarves.
It's a dope ass scarf.

akNk8.jpg

And how for you handheld-scarfers that are on the go, I'm sure you're gonna love this one. This Pokémon Djinn Master, Isaac, from the Golden Sun series knows that, yeah, saving the world n' shit while hunting magic creatures n' whatever is great and all, but how much better would all that be if you had a stylish ass scarf? Man, fuck that, if I were this dude, I'd ditch the world, I have SCARVES, BRAH.

Now I know what you're thinking. You're saying, "Yeah, these are all pretty sweet ass scarves, but good sir OP, I think the best scarf in gaming i-"

xISb3.png

Hold on, I'mma
not
let you finish, but your opinion on scarves is the shittiest thing I've ever seen.

Because, last but definitely not least, like what might be the greatest scarf in all of gaming:

I present to you, Strider Hiryu.

iytfy.png

Look at that scarf. Just fuckin' look at that scarf. It's like the most beautiful thing on the god damn planet. The most hipstery hipsters of the entire hipster world wish they could even set their eyes on a ridiculously radiant scarf such as this one. Cloth that defies the laws of phyics? Check. The absolute most comfortable material a scarf can possibly be made of? Probably. Red? Why the hell not. It's even got a god damn mouth piece so you can act like you're a ninja and shit. What more could you possibly want? Nothing. Absoultely nothing. Ah-aa-ah. Don't even say anything. Cause there's nothing to say. Just shut up. Stop.

Well at this point, I could keep on going and going and going and going on and on and on and on about scarves and their greatness, but then where would the rest of you guys have a chance to chime in? You wouldn't. So I'm gonna be a great guy, and let you guys get in there and voice your opinions on scarves. So what are you waiting for? GET TO IT!

Neki

I think an increasing trend of scarves in gaming is better than the other alternative that is possible: an increase of unnecessary zippers on clothing

Dunan

I don't think I'd ever given even a single moment's thought to scarves in games.

But this thread is still hilarious.

Meteorain

Excellent thread.

It was always bemusing as to why so many characters wore giant flaring scarves. May also explain why Tre` wears so many!

Sanjay

It's definitely a Eastern Asian thing looking all moody to look cool. Western devs just go for the blood and explosions.

I don't get the picture of Swag though, that totally threw me off.

kagete

GuildWars 2 should have scarves as an equipment slot and really shake up the MMO genre. Imagine keeping a collection of scarves in your equipment sets and searching for rare fabrics and patterns... yeah scarf game of forever.

squidyj

I would love to have a main character with like a black wool peacoat and a long scarf just fucking shit up. I don't know why, I just think he'd be pretty damn boss.

I want more realistic scarves in games, none of this fantasy art style bs.
Amen, brother. Luckily for us, with the onset of more realistic graphics in games, we're getting there! For example, our Scarf-Bros at Naughty Dog have given us this so far:

1I488.jpg

And it's pretty dope, I must say.

Where's Shinobi?

Ya know what, I actually had the picture set up and everything to put in the OP, but I thought I should leave a few for you fine folks!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
How could you forget to put Luka in the OP? Dude had a fucking SCARF.

LukaVigrid.jpg

526px-4041952780_4d2f0f6154_o.jpg

I mean just look at that stylish mother fucker.

Top Bottom