• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, I have leukemia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Edit: June 9: Got results from my first after-transplant biopsy, and everything has gone well!

Edit: [May 30]: I've got a small update here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=38342019

Edit [May 1st]: I get my bone marrow transplant today, so wish me luck guys.

A couple months ago, I went to the doctor's office after feeling tired all the time. Long story short, turns out it was leukemia. (If you have symptoms of mono, seriously, go get checked out.)

I've been in the hospital since, and have gone through three rounds of induction chemo. The third round did the trick and eliminated all the blast (bad) cells, which is awesome. The problem is that since my leukemia is really aggressive, I have a high chance of relapsing, so they're pushing me toward bone marrow transplant ASAP. (Which will probably be mid april.)

I wanted to make a post about this a while back, but didn't since it wasn't exactly public knowledge. Today, reddit made a blog post about it, though, so it's known enough that I thought I could post about it here. "Why?"

GAF's been my go-to forum for years. Besides reddit (which I know a lot of GAFers dislike), it's the only place on the internet where I feel like part of a community. (If any of you frequent reddit, I'm a mod on /r/gaming, I co-created /r/Games, and I was actually hired as reddit's Community Manager before this cancer business went down.)

Anyway, this forum has always meant a lot to me, and I wanted you guys to know.

Also, wish me luck. =)

Sofo

Best of luck, I hope you succeed. Stay positive and hope your family and friend give you the support you need.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I wish you the best of lucks my good GAF brother.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

akira28

My mom was on a marrow donor list, but they didn't even need her to donate because there were so many other options. I hear of people beating it all the time, so trust that you'll make out just fine. Good luck and keep that good attitude. It helps, a lot.

ezrarh

Hope everything works out for you man. Just wanted to let you know I'm registered as a bone marrow donor so you never know. If you don't mind me asking though, what level of fatigue were you experiencing before you went to the doctor?

Only the best for you man. My abue (grandpa) has it and he's doing great for 82. My ex (32) also has cancer and she's leading a normal life now. Kudos for your attitude, it makes a world of difference. Best of luck.

sangreal

A couple months ago, I went to the doctor's office after feeling tired all the time. Long story short, turns out it was leukemia. (If you have symptoms of mono, seriously, go get checked out.)

How do they diagnose that? I'm tired all the time, but doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me. Referred me to a sleep center.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Virtual internet high fives + solidarity. Hope all goes well.

DarkKyo

Everyone fears the big C... I'm not a praying man so my thoughts are with you, I really hope things continue to improve regarding your condition. Medical science has come a long way so you've got some crazy technology on your side. Good luck.

2th

Banned
Dac why didnt you post the reddit blog?

Join Us in Helping One of Our Own
Posted by erik [hueypriest] at 12:04
|
Labels: do it for splashy, fundraisers, helping the world
We first got to know reddit user Dacvak (David A. Croach) when he was a moderator of gaming, IAMA and some other subreddits. We got to know him even better when he applied for the Community Manager job at reddit and came out to San Francisco for an interview. We were so impressed with him that we offered him the job, which he accepted. He gave notice at his previous job, and got everything ready to move across the country from Pittsburgh to San Francisco to start working with us at reddit HQ.

A few days before he was supposed to move out here, he called us up and let us know that he had just received some bad news. He had gone to his local doctor to get checked out after feeling particularly run down, and it turned out that he had leukemia and needed to get to a hospital immediately. Since then he's had three inductions of chemotherapy. Now the doctors say his best chance is for a perfect-match bone marrow transplant. So, that's what we at reddit are going to help find for him, and we hope some of you join us.

A bone marrow transplant's success relies heavily on the host's and donor's immune markers being similar enough that the new bone marrow doesn't attack its host. This is where we all come in: there hasn't yet been a good enough match for DAC's transplant, so we need to get as many people screened as possible to find a good match. In the process, you can register to be on the national bone marrow registry to potentially help out others in this situation. Don't worry, donation is painless these days.

Here are some ways you can help:

Get Screened and added to the general National Bone Marrow Registry at BeTheMatch.com (free with promo code PIF070109)
Get an expedited screening specifically to be a match for DAC. These private screenings cost $175, but it is by far the fastest way to get screened for DAC. After being screened specifically for DAC you have the option of also being added to the general National Registry.
Contact OneUpForDAC.com if you want to be screened specifically for DAC, but can not afford the cost of the test.
Donate to the DAC Leukemia Fund, which will be used to pay for expedited screenings. reddit Inc will match money you donate to this fund.
International redditors - you can help too! Bone marrow registries are linked worldwide.

logo-2a.png

DAC's friends and family have set up a website 1UpForDAC.com with more information, and answers to common questions about modern marrow donation, which is painless.

DAC needs our help. We hope you will join us in finding the perfect match he needs, and help others in the process.

http://www.1upfordac.com/

Also a pretty kickass website man.

I've been in the hospital since, and have gone through three rounds of induction chemo. The third round did the trick and eliminated all the blast (bad) cells, which is awesome. The problem is that since my leukemia is really aggressive, I have a high chance of relapsing, so they're pushing me toward bone marrow transplant ASAP. (Which will probably be mid april.)

I wanted to make a post about this a while back, but didn't since it wasn't exactly public knowledge. Today, reddit made a blog post about it, though, so it's known enough that I thought I could post about it here. "Why?"

GAF's been my go-to forum for years. Besides reddit (which I know a lot of GAFers dislike), it's the only place on the internet where I feel like part of a community. (If any of you frequent reddit, I'm a mod on /r/gaming, I co-created /r/Games, and I was actually hired as reddit's Community Manager before this cancer business went down.)

Anyway, this forum has always meant a lot to me, and I wanted you guys to know.

Also, wish me luck. =)

Make sure you get it sorted out asap, and then make sure you keep getting checked to ensure it doesnt come back. Good luck in overcoming it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom