• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, I have leukemia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Congrats man. By any chance, are you from NY?
I'm from Pittsburgh, and that's where I am now.

Does this mean you are a chimera now?

(two sets of DNA, depending on what tissue is sampled)
Yes! Funny story, for a while (years ago), I wore two different colored contacts and told people I was a chimera for fun. I guess the joke was on me. =P

If you could get to NYC from Bumblefuck....where ever you came from...Surely, you'd beat this.

I said you'd kick its ass, and you did. Next time you're in NJ/NYC, I owe you a beer x 10.
Absolutely, man. I'm really looking forward to hanging out again. We'll have to hit the Nintendo World Store again for some awesome launch. :)
Hope everything keeps going well. We've never formally interacted but I remember your name from a site I wrote some articles for a few years back.
Awesome, what site out of curiosity?
How are you gonna celebrate OP?
Well, I'm not totally cured or even closed to healed yet, but I'll tell you a little about myself before all of this and what I'm gonna do after I'm completely better.

I was the type of person who traveled and did a ton before. I went to all kinds of events and stuff like amusement parks, sometimes on a whim. Since the cancer, though, I've been really just enjoying subtle things, like hanging out with friends and family, and being on GAF. Ive especially enjoyed being with my one-year-old niece, who really keeps my spirits up. I know I'll eventually get back to a busy lifestyle, but I'm enjoying the slowdown at the moment.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Gamernode.
Aw man, I remember my time at Gamernode! Those are great memories - It was definitely a fun site to write for.

--

So I have a minor update today. I got to go home for the 4th of July (the first time home in a loooooong time), and everything went great. My dad smoked ribs, and I had a bunch of friends over. Usually, the entire extended family plus friends come over for a huge 4th of July party my family hosts, but this year it was pretty much just my immediate family and friends, which was nice, and less hectic.

Still got to launch tons of fireworks and eat great food (for a change!), but the highlight of the night was engineering a huge Nerf gun scenario. Here's what my friends and I had at our disposal:

3a01e.jpg

Instead of a huge war, we created a "single player level" outside, with one person chosen at random to be the "hero", and everyone else to be the enemy (plus one boss). The hero had multiple objectives, like collecting two flags, killing the boss, and returning to base, while the enemies picked spawn locations and starting weapons, and waited to assault the hero. The hero could take multiple shots, while enemies only took one to die (but they had multiple spawns)...

Anyway, it was super fun, and the first time I've been active outdoors in well over six months. Man, it was tiring! But I'm glad I was at least able to keep up with everyone.

I'm headed back to the hotel tomorrow morning, but I'm going to be asking my doctor if I can start thinking about permanently returning to my home, which would be amazing. I still have pretty rough days, but my numbers have been relatively good lately, and I think I'm still recovering about as well as I can. What sucks is that a friend of mine (that I met in the hospital, who also has leukemia) isn't doing quite as well. It both just generally sucks, and is a sobering reminder to me that anything can still go wrong.

Either way, things are going well, now, and I'm pretty happy with that.

Ledsen

Reading this last page makes me so happy. Know that there are people all over the world smiling and rooting for you.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Dacvak +1
Cancer -1

Glad your spirits are still high during the recovery stage! The psychological battle one goes through is arguably just as tough as the physical one. Keep it up!

Dacvak

Oh man, more good news. My doctor just told me I can move back home, permanently. No more hotel, woo!

He wouldn't take me down to only one visit per week since my numbers aren't quite stable, so I'm still at two. But hey, at least I'll be in the comfort of my own home now.

Tesseract

Banned
Oh man, more good news. My doctor just told me I can move back home, permanently. No more hotel, woo!

He wouldn't take me down to onlybe visit per week since my numbers aren't quite stable, so I'm still at two. But hey, at least I'll be in the comfort of my own home now.

mpx28.gif

He wouldn't take me down to onlybe visit per week since my numbers aren't quite stable, so I'm still at two. But hey, at least I'll be in the comfort of my own home now.

Fantastic to hear, Dacvak!
Keep strong!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

He wouldn't take me down to only one visit per week since my numbers aren't quite stable, so I'm still at two. But hey, at least I'll be in the comfort of my own home now.

Awesome to hear this! :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Congratulations man!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I only read about this now, so sorry to read this! But I'm glad to see that you're better now, keep it up! Remember to always stay positive!

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Fuck cancer. As a cancer survivor I think I know how you feel and how hard it can be. Stay strong and positive and in some years you can brag about how you kicked cancers ass
like I do
:).

Demy

Was lead here thanks a /r/neogaf and got to read your story. Congratulations on the progress you'd made.
I'd love another update, Dacvak, if you don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom