• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead comic OT |#96 today: Conclusion of a Larger World| #97 - May 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: This thread will include spoilers about the comic series. I want this to be a discussion thread about the current comic but also speculation on the future of the series and also the past. The only things that should
spoiler tagged
are leaks about future issues.

Oh, first thread :D I hope there's enough support that this thread survives.

I hope veteran TWD readers, noob TWD readers, and also people who enjoy the show wish to take part of the discussion!

LAST ISSUE EDIT 1: Issue 96 released today! It's the conclusion of the 4-part series "a Larger World"

LATEST ISSUE : On May 9th, 2012, the road to issue 100 begins... with the series "Something to Fear"

"Something to Fear" is heavily rumored to introduce two characters from the TV series that aren't in the comic series... Daryl and his brother, Merle.

#97 LATEST ISSUE COVER!

2186257-thewalkingdeadstf_teaser01b_super.jpg

#98 (May 30th, 2012)

#99 (June 20th, 2012)

#100 (which seems to be a possible break in the Something to Fear series!) (July 11th, 2012)

#101 (TBA)

#102 (heavily rumored to be the introduction of.... *drumroll* DARYL!) (TBA)

Alright son... now for all you nubs sayin, but mang, I haven't even read #1 let alone #96, what do I do, socks? Well..

READ THIS IF YOU'RE A NOOB AND WANT TO BEGIN THE JOURNEY

Unfortutely collecting the entire comic series would be virtually impossible unless you've got a few thousand dollars to burn..

however, there are other methods!

COMPENDIUM

Fortunately, Kirkman is a brilliant man and released TWD Compendium : volume one! it's over 1000 pages of TWD goodness
and includes issues 1-48

BUY HERE:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607060760/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's 34.99... and honestly, you won't be able to find it anywhere on the internet where it's cheaper... it retails at 59.99... so cop it from Amazon!

TRADE PAPER BACKS

Next, are the Trade Paper Backs... I know you've already purchased the compendium so now whatchya need is Volume 9: Here we Remain. It continues right where you left off at the end of the compendium. Each TPB includes 6 issues... so volume 9 takes you from issue 49 to 54!

You buy those all the way up to TPB Volume 15... which will bring you right up to issue 90.

Fortunately for you noobs... Volume 16 releases June 19th, 2012 and includes #91-96... basically catching you up to... right now. If you're waiting for Volume 16, you might want to buy #97 on May 9th... but don't read it! :) Wait till you read that TPB 16!

Hey , ready for the awesome news? They retail for $15... but they're on ALL on sale for $9 each at Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ipbooks&field-keywords=walking+dead+paperback

Cover for TPB V: 16 : a Larger World (#91-96) releases June 19th, 2012

but socks.. I don't dig paperback books, bro.. I want that hardcover shit!

I got you!

HARDCOVER BOOKS, SON

Now, these things are a bit pricey but are chalk full of content :)

this is what is included in each book: the contents of the comics, including the covers, and in some cases bonus material. The books' trim size is larger than the paperbacks. Each hardcover contains two story arcs from the series. Signed versions of the books are available, each limited to 310 pieces. (Thanks wikipedia!)

So, you bought the compendium and don't wanna buy a bunch of TPBs? Well, you're gonna be starting with The Walking Dead: Book Five... this begins right where the compendium left off! (#49-#60)

Each book retails at $34.99... however, I got you son... head over to Amazon and save money! Each hardcover goes for $22!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...aps&field-keywords=the+walking+dead+hardcover

TWD: Book Eight won't be showing up for a while... perhaps it'll release in the fall, but you know it's not coming out in the next coming months when they haven't even shown the cover!

So, are you loaded? Got a few hundred to spend on some TWD deliciousness? :) I got you! This route may be more expensive than any other route... but it'll catch you up the quickest!

I GOT MONEY AND WANNA BUY THE (LIMITED) OMNIBUS EDITIONS!

I envy you, bruh! These things are expensive.. but chalk full of content! There are currently only 3 volumes and each one contains 24 issues.

Volume 1: ($53) http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607065037/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Volume 2: ($105) http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607060299/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Volume 3: ($200) http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607063301/?tag=neogaf0e-20

bro, you're confusin' the shit out of me with all this nonsense... just tell me what I need to read to stay on top of this series!

1: Buy the goddamn TWD Compendium 1. It contains #1-48 and will get you halfway through the series in one book

2:I recommend going the Trade paperback route. They're on sale currently for $10 each and are good quality. After buying the compendium, you'll buy TPB Volume 9 (which picks up where the compendium left off) and you'll need volumes 9 through 15.

WARNING: Volume 15 only goes to issue 90... so you're likely going to want to wait for Volume 16 (#91-96) in June.. however, if you want to keep up with the series you're going to want to head to your nearest comic shop on May 9th to get #97 and on May 30th for #98...
don't you dare read them without reading Volume 16 yet.. you'll have to wait, but it releases in early June... after you read V16... go for it! Or i'll hunt you down and murder you once as a human and twice when you're a roamer!

2a: So, you think paperback books are lame? They won't fit in your library? Lets go with the hardcover book route then!

You've got the compendium.. so now you'll get TWD: Book Five, Six, and Seven. This will bring you to #84! Book Eight won't be releasing anytime soon... so I recommend picking up the TPB Volume 15 which will bring you to #90.

WARNING: Volume 15 only goes to issue 90... so you're likely going to want to wait for Volume 16 (#91-96) in June.. however, if you want to keep up with the series you're going to want to head to your nearest comic shop on May 9th to get #97 and on May 30th for #98...
don't you dare read them without reading Volume 16 yet.. you'll have to wait, but it releases in early June... after you read V16... go for it! Or i'll hunt you down and murder you once as a human and twice when you're a roamer!

I do not recommend buying the limited omnibus editions if you plan on following the series. I'd recommend those if you want to be a collector.. otherwise, fuck em. They're gonna run you close to $300.

Flash

ugh, I suggest removing the cover for issue #100... I didn't want to see that :(

other than that, good job OP. Looking forward to reading the latest issue sometime after finals.

EYEL1NER

Wow, that cover for issue 100 is pretty badass.
I am using the mobile app and couldn't see the faces until I looked a second time. Damn... pretty cool.

I've only read up until volume 13. I went: Compendium, Book 5, Book 6, and volumes up to 13. One of these days I will catch up, probably when Compendium 2 comes out. I'll get it and end up wanting more after finishing it and then buy more Books and TPBs.

Replicant

Anyone mind giving me a summary of what has happened in the last few books? I haven't been keeping up with it lately. With spoiler tag if necessary.

Brutal series but Kirkman is running out of ideas.

Waiting for the issue where they fast forward ten years and Carl is a badass with an eyepatch.

I was actually thinking the same thing about Kirkman running out of steam...I mean this new storyline sounds promising-but just based on expectations it sounds like similar to the prison/governor arc.

I was actually thinking the same thing about Kirkman running out of steam...I mean this new storyline sounds promising-but just based on expectations it sounds like similar to the prison/governor arc.

Personally, I agree with Kirkman when he says that TWD will go on forever and that it will be similar to that of Superman and just keep going... however, I think that TWD will eventually evolve past the group of survivors we're following atm... and it will be more focused on the world of TWD, following other groups of survivors, and witnessing their trials and tribulations.

One thing I LOVE about Kirkman is he has some straight up balls. He has no issue allowing us (the reader) to fall in love with a character, learn his strengths and weakness over 40 issues, and then kill him in the matter of a page, or even down to a panel. I truly feel that Kirkman has no problem killing any of the characters and there are none who are safe from his warpath.

While I think it' inevitable that we see the original group all killed off, one thing I absolutely love that Kirkman does is the way he keeps the group fresh. This is why the comic stays so fresh to me. I'm always on my toes. I know if a few characters are killed off... it's inevitable that the remaining survivors eventually meet another (perhaps wandering) group of survivors and merge. I love this so because I know that Rick and the leader of this new group will be clasing at each and every decision but so will the whole group. We have new people,.. do we trust them? do we allow them to make decisions? Should they carry weapons? I love that the characters / new characters never feel as if... they're 'meant' to find each other.... though I do love one other thing about new characters.

Everytime a new character, or characters, are introduced, they all, for the most part, bring new skills and weaknesses to the group that haven't been there before. In my eyes, it also seems as if there is a quota to meet with characters and if one were to die.. he needs to be replaced to meet that quota.

for example : After issue 48, when a slew of characters were killed... Rick's wingman, the former Tyrese', left a hole. Rick had no one to 'lean' on for support. Then.. Abraham was introduced. At first, Rick and Abraham are clashing at every turn about every topic. Abraham seems to be a savage with no interest or empathy for Rick's group and Rick seems weak.... this is however, completely changed when they share eachothers 'war stories' and a new found respect was born.

now...

EVENTUALLY... I wholeheartedly expect Rick to die.... and this isn't something I'm fond of whatsoever. At first I hoped that Rick would be phased out almost entirely. Perhaps weak and injured he was left behind only to find out a hundred issues later that Rick is well and alive and leading another group... but now he is not our concern. Unfortunately, my opinion on this has drastically changed.... my opinion now is yes, Rick will die.

Why, socks? Why do you say such a thing!

One reason and one reason only and it's the one thing I absolutely hate that Kirkman has done... I've been able to agree with Kirkman on all other decisions... (even though I may not want to I know it was for the best) except for this. WHY THE HELL DID HE HAVE TO LEAVE HIM WITHOUT AN HAND... AND HIS RIGHT HAND AT THAT?! Rick is left at such a mighty disadvantage over the other survivors because of his disability... for fucks sake he can only use a pistol. Another reason this completely sours me is that I felt like at first he had to lose the arm to learn to love Lori. Being without arm (lol) would force Rick to stay in more, not to go out on every dangerous mission, and to love and care for Lori and Judy...

I understood it at that point.. it made sense. Then we all know what happens to Lori and the Baby. Now Rick is Rick the Gimp -___-

I seriously hope that they can come up with something similar to Dale's apparatus... one that will at least allow him to shoot heavier firepower.

EYEL1NER

Anyone mind giving me a summary of what has happened in the last few books? I haven't been keeping up with it lately. With spoiler tag if necessary.
I just read the wikia for now until I catch up.
But I'm someone who doesn't usually mind spoilers at all. I'll pause a movie to go take a piss and read a synopsis of the movie and the ending while in the bathroom.
I'm just weird like that. But I never really feel like it ruins anything for me.

Flash

One reason and one reason only and it's the one thing I absolutely hate that Kirkman has done... I've been able to agree with Kirkman on all other decisions... (even though I may not want to I know it was for the best) except for this. WHY THE HELL DID HE HAVE TO LEAVE HIM WITHOUT AN HAND... AND HIS RIGHT HAND AT THAT?! Rick is left at such a mighty disadvantage over the other survivors because of his disability... for fucks sake he can only use a pistol. Another reason this completely sours me is that I felt like at first he had to lose the arm to learn to love Lori. Being without arm (lol) would force Rick to stay in more, not to go out on every dangerous mission, and to love and care for Lori and Judy...

I understood it at that point.. it made sense. Then we all know what happens to Lori and the Baby. Now Rick is Rick the Gimp -___-

I seriously hope that they can come up with something similar to Dale's apparatus... one that will at least allow him to shoot heavier firepower.

lol seriously, when I saw that, it was "WOW WTF" for about a minute, but that quickly turned into "WTF... why?". I really hope they don't make the same mistake in the show (and I doubt they will, I read somewhere how Kirkman regretted doing that. It was pretty damn unnecessary).

As for what's going to happen to Rick...he has to die, I love him to death and rather he not but its just inevitable. I think he's become too jaded and untrusting and for every good decision comes a bad one. And I mean how many more times are they going to do the whole Rick and co find a new community, community looks great, "Rick-ologue" about how things are different now, followed by everyone dying (directly or indirectly Rick's fault).

I predict Rick is going make a decision that pisses of Carl who, now all fucked up and with no real sense of morality, will murder Rick in cold blood. It's the only way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_(comics)#Plot

This will be a start for you. I actually attempted to write a quick plot ... beginning from where they left herschel's farm the second time. You really didn't specify what you wanted a summary :p "the last few books" really doesn't help. Unfortunately, I was unable to finish the summary before I had to leave for the day, but when I get home I'll finish that.

Though the wiki will explain basically what's happened to this point

lol seriously, when I saw that, it was "WOW WTF" for about a minute, but that quickly turned into "WTF... why?". I really hope they don't make the same mistake in the show (and I doubt they will, I read somewhere how Kirkman regretted doing that. It was pretty damn unnecessary).

As for what's going to happen to Rick...he has to die, I love him to death and rather he not but its just inevitable. I think he's become too jaded and untrusting and for every good decision comes a bad one. And I mean how many more times are they going to do the whole Rick and co find a new community, community looks great, "Rick-ologue" about how things are different now, followed by everyone dying (directly or indirectly Rick's fault).

I predict Rick is going make a decision that pisses of Carl who, now all fucked up and with no real sense of morality, will murder Rick in cold blood. It's the only way.

Kirkman does regret doing it. I recently read the interview where he says that.

He's asked if he's done anything in the comic that he regrets that won't make it to the TV series... and he responded with something along the lines of, "I really regret nothing. Everything I've done I'm happy with... however, one thing you won't see happening to Rick this upcoming season is have his hand chopped off.." and he goes into a pretty funny recollection where one of the editor's point out a mistake of his where he actually had Rick pull out of a can of beans from his backpack, opened it, and began to eat.

The editor said, ya know, it'd be impossible to open a can with one hand.

What's really funny is that if you go to #49 (#48 being the slaughter at the prison) in one of the first panels you'll see the picture he describes, but in the panel he hands Carl the can of beans and asks him to open it :p

about your comment on it being "pretty damn unnecessary" I can ABSOLUTELY agree... I solemnly believe that in the beginning Kirkman was really going for nothing more but shock value.

Honestly.. "oh how can I make the governor seem really sadistic ?! Chop off Rick's hand!"

however, at this point I feel like he's evolved as a story teller and realized all the consequences of that decision and realizes he wouldn't do it again if he had the chance (which he does with the show! and thankfully, TV Rick won't lose his arm!)

on what you think about the death of rick

I gotta say I can agree with a lot of that. I also truly believe that Rick needs the axe due to his disability... it just... it just really takes away from making him a hero anymore. Sure, he can still kick some ass, bark out commands, and murder someone... but he really needs to second guess himself. Before the loss of his hand, he'd charge blindly into the abyss which always lead for a good ride (basically talking about everytime he'd leave Carl and Lori, and she'd cry like a bitch)

but I agree, I'm also growing tired of... hey, community! this is our hope... it's finally beginning to feel like this is it, this is where we live, this is where we start our new lives... to OH NO ZOMBIE HORDE, DEATHDEATHDEATHDEATH, FLEE!! :p

I'm really hoping that Kirkman decides to take it into a different direction. what I would like is for them to bunker down and for factions (communities ... perhaps represented by a color or patch or something.. (I know I'm getting silly now, but this is the fucking zombie Apocalypse we're talking about here!) of people to appear. perhaps one faction holds x valuable goods while second faction holds one of the crew prisoners...

perhaps he'd have to team with one group to attack another only to be backstabbed by the one he teamed with!

We're just finding out that they really do live in a larger world... so expand on that. show me more people... we know that those who are alive and walking the earth are the ones that are walking dead... lets push the melted-mind zombies to the side, though don't get me wrong, they should still be a huge part of the series, but let's focus on the story of warring neighboring communities

and not just one community that is run by a sadistic leader (ie: governer) but dozens of communities... one that are blood thirsty murders, another is all ex military and are extremely talented in combat, perhaps one is comprised of cannibals (yes pulling this from the hunter arc)... one community is made up of god damn sheep man ffs, you get the idea! :)

Basically, turn this bitch into The Game of Thrones but the thrones are warring communities, and instead of the evil that winter brings, we have zombies.

Goldrush

While we are going back to Lori, did we ever see any kids born after the outbreak? There were teases before the twist that the zombie virus might affect newborn as well.

An-Det

About time #96 released. June can't come soon enough for me to finally read the last few issues. I read through TPB 1-15 in a very short timespan in December (to get my TWD fix during the midseason break) and have been aching for 16 since then.

Nice writeup mysocksarepink. I love the issue 100 cover. So many great stories and characters and corpses.

bengraven

I like that DC is this safe haven now and I think it would be nice to just end this part here for now. Either kill Rick or just move on to another part of the country. Go right back to Day 1 of the crisis and maybe spend another 100 issues with some people trying to get to DC after hearing there's safety there. Then at issue 200 reveal that another outbreak has happened and DC isn't safe or whatever.

I really love Glenn and Maggie, Michonne and Andrea, but that's about it that are still alive that I care about.

While we are going back to Lori, did we ever see any kids born after the outbreak? There were teases before the twist that the zombie virus might affect newborn as well.

I think it's mentioned by Jesus or one of the people in the groups new enclave that there have been children born? Pretty sure. I mean, we're seeing hundreds of people in DC alive, surely someone has given birth in the last year or so. Populations boom during stressful periods of time: pardon my French, but I'm assuming the survivors fuck a lot. Plus, didn't baby Judy get conceived AFTER the plague?

Well... in the comic, when Lori is giving birth in the infirmary of the prison... I'm not going to lie, I was 100% sure... without a SINGLE DROP of doubt in my mind, that the baby would be a little nasty zombie thing. I also SUSPECTED but wasn't so sure of it that the little zombie baby would eat it's way out of her womb or something (awesome) like that.

Reason I went with these predictions is everybody knows it... especially Kirkman, you can't have a baby in a zombie apocalypse. What, is Lori (if she was still alive) expected to breastfed the crying child while fighting off a horde of zombies? If it's Rick's turn to care for the baby but he decides to head out away from safety .. would he bring a stroller with him? Perhaps ... Rick would carry the baby in a sling around his chest while shooting at zombies

oh, and I'm sure as hell that baby would be deaf if it made it to an age where that would be an issue.. but it wouldn't. It's a baby. This is a zombie apocalypse. When Rick, Lori + Judy, and Carl were running from the prison... Rick (don't read this if you easily get upset or are sensitive)
should have thrown the baby behind them as bait... hey, It's not even yours, bro! (jkjkjk)

but yeah, babies do not belong in zombie apocalypse... oh you asked a question? sorry for the tangent... this is an issue that has bothered me so for long *smacks Lori*

but to answer your question [though I did earlier] surprisingly babies are born fine!

About time #96 released. June can't come soon enough for me to finally read the last few issues. I read through TPB 1-15 in a very short timespan in December (to get my TWD fix during the midseason break) and have been aching for 16 since then.

Nice writeup mysocksarepink. I love the issue 100 cover. So many great stories and characters and corpses.

I know a lot of people are hanging on for the second compendium... and that probably won't be out until the fall at earliest. Personally, I think it'll be out anywhere between november and next april.

I know that there is officially enough issues out for a second compendium.. but it won't come for a while. that's the reason I didn't mention it in the OT. I'll definitely update it when I hear any news / make a post.

What I wanted to say though, was that people who are holding off for the second compendium .. just like people who are holding off on TPB 16... those will only cover up to #96 and if it's important to you to stay on top of the TWD... then you need to begin buying the comics..

for example, An-Det, you're waiting for TPB 16... well, if you don't want to wait for the TPB 17 after this, #97 releases on May 9th and #98 releases on May 30th.. shortly thereafter TPB 16 releases.. oh and hey :) you have the next two issues waiting for you!

Looking at that avatar, I really miss Tony Moore's art.

ugh, his lines were so much more defined. He could also portray emotion far better than Adlard. I see A LOT of the same faces over and over and over again... and some of the faces do not fit what's going on at all ...

I think I have a picture handy that is a prime example!

poop face inc!

basically, his marriage proposal was just denied.. why does he just look like he's embarrassed that he's just shit his pants rather than heart broken?

Personally, I agree with Kirkman when he says that TWD will go on forever and that it will be similar to that of Superman and just keep going... however, I think that TWD will eventually evolve past the group of survivors we're following atm... and it will be more focused on the world of TWD, following other groups of survivors, and witnessing their trials and tribulations.

The series can go on forever, but Rick making statements like "We found a place where we can let our guard down and live again" is getting tiring. He said it at the prison, the gated community and this new place on top of the hill. I wish the group would just keep moving, go across the country. Go into the DMZ story style and run a few arcs about random survivors. Also Kirkman never uses flashback sequences, he did it once to show Lori and Shane. Kirkman limits himself with this linear story line.

Is there a way to get ALL the previous issues of this series digitally for a good price? I'd love to get caught up, but I'd like to do it legit.

The series can go on forever, but Rick making statements like "We found a place where we can let our guard down and live again" is getting tiring. He said it at the prison, the gated community and this new place on top of the hill. I wish the group would just keep moving, go across the country. Go into the DMZ story style and run a few arcs about random survivors. Also Kirkman never uses flashback sequences, he did it once to show Lori and Shane. Kirkman limits himself with this linear story line.

Completely agree... read post #14 after the second quote and scroll to where I say "on what you think about the death of rick" and tell me what you think about that :p Believe me, I know it's extremely far fetched, but I could hope? :p Some real drama!

that's what I'd like to happen. I definitely like the idea of them always moving... that way zombies ALWAYS pose as a threat. I also like that idea because they'd always run into new survivors, be friend or foe. I suspect them eventually to travel to California, or Seattle... for some silliness. I definitely see them going cross country, eventually.

I figure, if they're going to try and set up shop... we might as well get some game of thrones action goin... lets get some warring neighboring communities..

basically like ancient greece with its city-states :)

I've been following the series pretty religiously since 2006 when I first picked up the trades. I still enjoy it even though I recognize the pattern of storytelling. It's one of the few books that I buy both in floppy and trade, cuz I can't wait to see what happens and I know I will read the whole series over and over again.

Anyone here read the Rise of the Governor? I'm not really sold on the idea of it, but since it is part of the comic story, I figure I should read it eventually.

Walking Dead comic lovers! Issue 97 has released! I will be picking it up tomorrow morning and will post back my thoughts tomorrow! :)

I'm so pumped to get into this arch... I have a feeling SHITS GONNA BE GOIN DOWN

srsly! I hope the rumors are true.. I hope daryl is introduced!

so pumped!

until tomorrow!

also, have any TWD lovers played the new mod that is all the craze, DayZ?

if not, buy ARMA 2 : CO off steam right this moment ($30) and download the DayZ mod.... and get ready to begin your own TWD journey. Literally, it's the only zombie game out where with each death you will have a new story.

This is a great episodic series to watch to understand the mod... it's also extremely entertaining, I got sucked into it and thus, I bought arma :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

^ part 1

it goes through to part 6 iirc :)

post back tomorrow after I get 97! :D

Flash

I thought 97 was okay... though I feel like I'm getting a bit bored so I hope things pick up soon (which I think it will).

I thought 97 was okay... though I feel like I'm getting a bit bored so I hope things pick up soon (which I think it will).

Some what the same.. although I know this issue is just foreshadowing the future..

ie: the climax of Something to Fear

I'm pumped

Great OP! Been looking into getting TWD and see that the OP has a great amount and options of what to get.

defintely ! :) I was reading last months issue and thinking... why is there no discussion thread on gaf! I wish there were more people that posted..

but I knew if I could have helped at least ONE person get into TWD I would be hapy :)

Flash

Not directly related to TWD, but if you guys haven't already, definitely check out Kirkman's Invincible. He does a great job of building up stories in that comic and a few of the arcs in the 60s and 70s range make the read absolutely worth it IMO.

Not directly related to TWD, but if you guys haven't already, definitely check out Kirkman's Invincible. He does a great job of building up stories in that comic and a few of the arcs in the 60s and 70s range make the read absolutely worth it IMO.

waiting for the second compendium before I dive into this series :)

gdt

Loved 97. I've been totally in love with the stuff in this book, since we got to the community. Read a Kirkman interview, I'm so hyped for 100. He said it's easily the most brutal issue of the comic, and he hasn't forgotten 48.

I get that some people are a little bored with the Community storylines, but I love it. Rebuilding and its costs are fascinating to me. War is coming with the new group too. I'm thinking that Rick is wrong, and is underestimating them.

I just started the series and am up to issue #7. Not too fond of the art change and is it just me or did the artist draw Amy instead of Andrea on those first few pages?

gdt

I just started the series and am up to issue #7. Not too fond of the art change and is it just me or did the artist draw Amy instead of Andrea on those first few pages?

He takes awhile to settle in. He's never as good technically as the first one, but man, the guy can set a mood a million times better. The first artist was too...clean. Too bright for comic.

Adlard is the bomb.

-Mikey-

I've been thinking of dropping the book for a few issues now. Hoping something interesting goes down in #100 or else I might be done.

gdt

Not future issue spoilers, just blacking it out for the newbies.

I really hope Kirkman doesn't torpedoe the Rick/Andrea relationship before they've had a chance to actually build something. Killing Andrea would just be a retread of Lori. Andrea can actually keep up, so it could be a very interesting dynamic.

Leucrota

I've been thinking of dropping the book for a few issues now. Hoping something interesting goes down in #100 or else I might be done.

There is hints of putting together an army and wiping out the walkers... If you dont find that interesting, you might as well drop it..

gdt

DAmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Last issue was sick. Burn boy looked awesome.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm waiting for hardcover 8. I've got 1-7 and can't justify getting the singles only to double up on them when the hardcover is released. The waiting game is hard!

I absolutely loved TWD comics up until about the last few months. I really feel like the story has been taken everywhere it really can go. I really wish they'd end it, and give it a really good ending. It's been such a masterfully told story, the characters deserve a solid ending. Not just filler story until sales sputter or Kirkman gets bored and they decide to end it.

I absolutely loved TWD comics up until about the last few months. I really feel like the story has been taken everywhere it really can go. I really wish they'd end it, and give it a really good ending. It's been such a masterfully told story, the characters deserve a solid ending. Not just filler story until sales sputter or Kirkman gets bored and they decide to end it.

I do feel the same way.

I'm speculating and am current on issue 98, so if you don't want to be spoiled don't read....

My feeling is I don't feel like Rick and Carl are in danger from external forces. I see them in danger of becoming like the bad people. I thought we were going to see Rick's heel turn when he treated the new guy (forget his name and don't have the comics here, but the guy who brought them into the larger world), and I'm still thinking this may happen in the next arc or so.

But these Something to Fear promo shots don't do anything for me. After the Governor and all they've been through, I don't see the other humans as scary right now. Maybe Rick is over confident and maybe I'm being too confident in his abilities, but I think that's where the story has led us. They took out the cannibals with ease, and except for
Abe
which they couldn't really do anything about, they've been handling these new bad guys with relative ease as well. So I'm not getting any foreboding, other than I think Rick could easily go to the dark side soon. And Carl would go right along with him.

Carl could even go psycho even if Rick stays good. That could make things very interesting, because Carl's been what has kept Rick going. If Carl goes psycho and starts hurting people, what will Rick do?

Flash

#99 is out today (along with Invincible #92 if any of you follow that). Next issue is the big #100! Can't wait.

I really enjoyed 98... hopefully I will get to 99 sometime this week.

gdt

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Mostly setup, but damn, talk about HYPE FOR 100.

OP is banned, I think I'll put together a thread for 100/the series as a whole. People might be interested, newbies too.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Finally through issue 96! Damn what a fun road that was. I see a lot of the trappings you guys are complaining about but overall it was extremely enjoyable. I was on issue #51 last Monday and burned through to (near) present over the course of the week.

I'm going to wait until this current arc is done before jumping into even issue #97. Wiki says it will be complete by issue #102.

I really feel as if Kirkman has written himself into a corner. How many more groups can they run into? They've already established that the roamers aren't even much of an issue. There's going to come a point where they have to systematically start cleaning up the rest of the world like in WWZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom