• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

artist

Banned
samsung-next-galaxy-invite_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

LAUNCH PRESS CONFERENCE:

2PM EST, May 3rd, 2012

t1336068000z1.png
(Thank you Nemesis556)

WHAT WE BROADLY KNOW:
  • 1184 x 720 (301ppi)
  • 4.6" Display
  • Quad core next generation Exynos processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8MP camera
  • 16GB + microSD slot
  • 2050mAh battery

(Test box according to Divvy)
sgs3.jpg

TEASERS

sams.jpg

TEASER VIDEO 1

TEASER VIDEO 2

SOURCES

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/galaxy-s-iii-leak/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/23/samsungs-new-galaxy-phone-gets-official-teaser-video/
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/16/2951622/samsung-next-galaxy-phone-launch-date-may-3-london

artist

Banned
I love Samsung products (TVs, LCDs, HDss, media players etc) but frankly the childish potshots at Apple are getting annoying and turning me off their products.

You should probably note that that image is just a test box.
Added in the OP, thanks.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Samsung has finally succeeded at combining the smartphone and smooth, polished stones of my dreams.

I'm so proud to be Korean.

But, I will go get one.

Cipherr

I knew whenever someone made the thread it would have an unnecessarily inflammatory thread title. A little played out folks.... seriously.

And yes, I'm this threads first debbie downer. And its 1280x720. Onscreen buttons don't change the displays actual resolution, it occupies some of it.

Chris R

Love that shade of blue.

edit: But unless my carrier lets me upgrade for free without renewing my contract (LOL YEAH RIGHT) I'll be sticking with my GSII.

idwl

I have a feeling the top edges are gonna be curved just like the pebbles(?) so it would look kinda assymetrical

123rl

Don't be a sheep...just buy a phone with six month old software. It's a phone. Once you have good battery life and a killer screen the only difference is software.

Trying way, way too fucking hard with that ad.

And it would have been a better trailer without a sheep. I mean, really? It's gotten old. I can't see how taking the focus off your product is considered smart marketing, and insulting users of the most popular product around. The sheep thing would also work better if Samsung wasn't the company that tries it's best to ape Apple's design, products, packaging, accessories, branding, etc. It's like the loner girl who consistently marks the attractive popular one because of extreme jealousy, while secretly trying to be exactly like her. It's also odd how their main message is that you should buy this phone to 'stand out from everyone else', instead of buying it for its actual merits.

Cipherr

Title works both ways.

Doesnt really. It invites folks into the thread that you knooooooow are gonna be offended and cry about the ad. Thats really not needed man, cmon.

My own fault I guess, I thought about making the thread myself but didn't.

Emily Chu

Banned
I knew whenever someone made the thread it would have an unnecessarily inflammatory thread title. A little played out folks.... seriously.

And yes, I'm this threads first debbie downer. And its 1280x720. Onscreen buttons don't change the displays actual resolution, it occupies some of it.

Wished it was 1920x1080 4.7"-4.8"...

fucking retina display

artist

Banned
Doesnt really. It invites folks into the thread that you knooooooow are gonna be offended and cry about the ad. Thats really not needed man, cmon.
Regardless of the title, there would have been bitching.

On the flip side, Samsung could be taking a fresh approach, who knows?

If the title bothers a lot of people, I will gladly request a mod to change it.

Regardless of the title, there would have been bitching.

On the flip side, Samsung could be taking a fresh approach, who knows?

If the title bothers a lot of people, I will gladly request a mod to change it.
Putting that diatribe in the title wasn't a good idea.

Massa

Anxiously waiting for the S2 price drop to pick one up with CM7 and then not worry about phone upgrades for another half decade.

Kurdel

Banned
As an lover of beautiful design and technology, I can't help but feel hyped for this.

From a realistic point of view, this must be the first "new iPhone" competitor. It must be forward thinking and original, and I hope it will be.

Also, the Galaxy line of phones sold more than iPhones, no? Calling iPhone users sheep is more of a "one choice, live it or hate it", rather than "Apple is the sheepish thing to buy seeing it is popular".

I would love a clear, comprehensive, line of Galaxy phones. Same models for every carrier, one model of low-mid-high-note per year.

Now it is just a mess, and I honestly hope Samsung can be clearer in it's product family.

I'm due an upgrade on Orange...I hope it's there at launch (I presume it will be).

I also hope I don't have to pay much/anything to get it.

How quick do phones tend to release after announcements? Better not be like games where we wait for a year or two >.<

As an lover of beautiful design and technology, I can't help but feel hyped for this.

From a realistic point of view, this must be the first "new iPhone" competitor. It must be forward thinking and original, and I hope it will be.

Also, the Galaxy line of phones sold more than iPhones, no? Calling iPhone users sheep is more of a "one choice, live it or hate it", rather than "Apple is the sheepish thing to buy seeing it is popular".

I would love a clear, comprehensive, line of Galaxy phones. Same models for every carrier, one model of low-mid-high-note per year.

Now it is just a mess, and I honestly hope Samsung can be clearer in it's product family.
I think you're gonna be disappointed.

Cipherr

Wished it was 1920x1080 4.7"-4.8"...

fucking retina display

450+ PPI lol. I have to admit it would be pretty awesome. But there is the stupid GPU performance to consider. I hate it because I dont do much gaming on my phones, but because lots of others do, those benches matter to these companies. Benches have leaked for the S3 showing it beating every other phone out there GPU wise.

Those numbers would be lower if they bumped the resolution that high. As would battery life.

Sheep? I don't get it.

Its stupid, trust me, theres not much to get.

Cheebo

Banned
Also, the Galaxy line of phones sold more than iPhones, no?

Eh what? iPhone and the ENTIRE Android market sell nearly the same. So I can't see how that would be possible. Also especially since the #1 selling phone of the last quarter was iPhone 4S, the #2 top selling phone was iPhone 4 and #3 top selling phone was iPhone 3GS.

Fixed1979

Sheep? I don't get it.

Really?

Sheep have a strong instinct to follow the sheep in front of them. When one sheep decides to go somewhere, the rest of the flock usually follows, even if it is not a good "decision." For example, sheep will follow each other to slaughter. If one sheep jumps over a cliff, the others are likely to follow. Even from birth, lambs are conditioned to follow the older members of the flock. This instinct is "hard-wired" into sheep. It's not something they "think" about.

So were people this upset over the Apple ads calling out MS?

artist

Banned
Fair enough, personally I don't mind a bit of play between companies but I can see how it can get tiring.
It's not like MS sit idle and did nothing. They hit back and still continue to fund and play ads like those. I dont think Apple does anymore.

Samsung's shots on Apple are also one-way only, dont think Apple has responded and for good reason.

123rl

The PC vs Mac ads were mostly correct but they just over-emphasised the differences. Samsung's effort is just crude, kind of insulting, and troll bait for a fanbase that it hopes to build but doesn't actually exist. Instead of showing people why they should buy an Samsung Android phone all they do is tell people not to buy an iPhone. That doesn't work.

TeegsD

Have an upgrade on Sprint but been waiting to hear about this. Hopefully I can grab one by the end of the Summer if it's the best Sprint has.

Cipherr

The PC vs Mac ads were mostly correct but they just over-emphasised the differences. Samsung's effort is just crude, kind of insulting, and troll bait for a fanbase that it hopes to build but doesn't actually exist. Instead of showing people why they should buy an Samsung Android phone all they do is tell people not to buy an iPhone. That doesn't work.

Oh the Galaxy S line has a fanbase. That much is for certain.

Have an upgrade on Sprint but been waiting to hear about this. Hopefully I can grab one by the end of the Summer if it's the best Sprint has.

Same, Ill either get this, or the Sprint HTC One X.

What's the deal with the blue and white shiny globs/stones? Is that a part of the Galaxy branding?

Nah, one of them looks like metal or brushed aluminum. I think it might be the colors of the phone itself.

Top Bottom