• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Divius

Both my sisters are using the Galaxy SII and it is a wonderful phone. I need a new phone soon, so big chance I'll pick up the SIII if there is an attractive contract for it.

It's not as if Samsung doesn't already manufacture beautiful screens. I don't see why they insist on using such an ugly technology. It isn't worth it at all.

i don't get how anyone can use anything else. i look at LCD screens and just die a little inside watching them. they all look so last gen.

I'm about due for an upgrade. I guess it will be between this and iPhone 5. I just hope Verizon gets it.

I cant wait to get rid of my Droid x

Red

I'm hoping this is on Verizon since they passed on the One x. I am planning on selling my Droid Bionic and getting the S3 as an upgrade on my plan.

My fingers are crossed for the 12mp camera rumor to be true. Really though I'd be happy with anything faster and more user-friendly than what's in my Bionic.

TimeKillr

I wish I could buy the phone unlocked directly from Samsung... I bought my 4S that way (well, from Apple) but it's the very best in keeping the value of the phone - factory unlocked is the way to go.

Having to tinker to unlock a phone is always a pain, and if you want to sell it to someone on another network they have to know how to fix stuff should it get locked again, etc.

nib95

Banned
Some people value accurate color reproduction, weird I know.

Weirdly, in this sense the pentile screen of the Galaxy Nexus everyone hates on imo is actually the best. It has the most realistic colours of the phone's I tested including my 4S, the Note, S2 and the Galazy Nexus.

The 4S's is quite washed out and and lacks contrast and black depth, the Note's/S2's is just way too saturated and the Galazy Nexus struck the best in between balance.

Weirdly, in this sense the pentile screen of the Galaxy Nexus everyone hates on imo is actually the best. It has the most realistic colours of the phone's I tested including my 4S, the Note, S2 and the Galazy Nexus.

The 4S's is quite washed out and and lacks contrast and black depth, the Note's/S2's is just way too saturated and the Galazy Nexus struck the best in between balance.

Every objective color reproduction review says otherwise.

Gonna be tough for me to not get this phone :/. My Galaxy Nexus is nice and all but the screen has a pretty terrible yellow tint that covers half the screen and is very visible at and under 40% brightness. I should probably look at sending it back.

My experience of AMOLED hasn't been great. My Galaxy S2 had a yellow tint on left side of screen (But that was common and fixed in an update) but it's the lines that develop over time that really bother me. My Nexus is really starting to show them and it's only a few months old. My S2 that my Dad now has is almost disgusting to look it especially on Greys. Course my Dad doesn't notice them. My friends S2 is the same though he hasn't commented on them either. So maybe the problem is me.

The Blacks are what keeps me wanting to use AMOLED screens but I think the other problems of the screen tech really take away from it.

Cipherr

Gonna be tough for me to not get this phone :/. My Galaxy Nexus is nice and all but the screen has a pretty terrible yellow tint that covers half the screen and is very visible at and under 40% brightness. I should probably look at sending it back.

My experience of AMOLED hasn't been great. My Galaxy S2 had a yellow tint on left side of screen (But that was common and fixed in an update) but it's the lines that develop over time that really bother me. My Nexus is really starting to show them and it's only a few months old. My S2 that my Dad now has is almost disgusting to look it especially on Greys. Course my Dad doesn't notice them. My friends S2 is the same though he hasn't commented on them either. So maybe the problem is me.

The Blacks are what keeps me wanting to use AMOLED screens but I think the other problems of the screen tech really take away from it.

The issue for me was also black levels and viewing angles. But Ill be damned if the LCD2 on the One X doesnt bring those two areas into "Hmm, good enough" territory for me. I would have never thought I would consider an LCD screen again until I saw the OneX, even the Black are pretty damn good.

FireCloud

I'm about due for an upgrade. I guess it will be between this and iPhone 5. I just hope Verizon gets it.

I cant wait to get rid of my Droid x

I have the Droid X as well. I'm due for an upgrade but there is nothing out now that I'd upgrade for. Tried out the RAZR and RAZR MAXX and the Galaxy Nexus but I'm hoping for something with a little more processing power to make it through another two years.

I'm with you on hoping that the SGIII comes to Verizon but I doubt that will happen.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Galaxy S2 and while this looks great, I don't feel like i'm missing out on too much.

Viva lá S2!

Ashhong

Seriously, my GS2 is fantastic. Does every single thing I could want to do on a phone. The screen could be higher resolution I guess, but a simple change of DPI makes it look HD to my eyes.

Even on phones like the HTC One X, the DPI is set to 240 right? What a waste.

Seriously, my GS2 is fantastic. Does every single thing I could want to do on a phone. The screen could be higher resolution I guess, but a simple change of DPI makes it look HD to my eyes.

Even on phones like the HTC One X, the DPI is set to 240 right? What a waste.
You're thinking of resolution in the desktop sense, for mobile devices it's all about pixel density and sharpness --- not increasing workspace.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally.

Been waiting on this announcement for so long, this is the phone I want to make that jump to the smart-phone with.

RS4-

Will most likely get; went from iphone 4 to what was supposed to be a Nexus but went with Nexus S instead.

Ashhong

You're thinking of resolution in the desktop sense, for mobile devices it's all about pixel density and sharpness --- not increasing workspace.

Why can't it be both? Change your phone's resolution to about 190 and tell me you don't prefer that. Well, maybe you do, but it's nice to have options. My screen is just as sharp at 190DPI.

Piano

Banned
Some people value accurate color reproduction, weird I know.

Not everyone.

I'm colorblind and the G Nexus display is the best I've ever seen. Don't notice any of the PenTile weirdness people love to weep over.
Haven't seen the One X in person yet, though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I hope that continued pressure from Apple and now the Lumia 800/900 have made Samsung step up their design game.

Taiser

mfw upgrading from Iphone 3G to GS3.

1NrbJ.jpg

Babalu.

im still rocking the vibrant!! so this is gonna a big upgrade

Yes please!! I was holding off for the Hercules (galaxy s II) but then decided to wait until galaxy s III.

Its been sooo long...my galaxy s vibrant is sooo slow now....

Please GOD let this come to tmobile.

magenta

How has Apple pressured them when their iPhone design hasn't changed in about 2 years now? Unless you mean various patents?

Apple is known for its design and should change the look of the iPhone this year. Galaxy SII always looked bland to me, I don't know if the new model will change that.

mavs

I've "properly calibrated" SGS2's and while it's a definite improvement over stock, the color accuracy is still nowhere near the level of a good IPS LCD display.

I hate wide gamut as much as anyone else, but it's not as big a deal on a phone as it is on a PC. And for PC displays, "good" IPS LCDs have been wide gamut for a very long time now. The cheap 23" ones aren't, but they don't have good color accuracy.

Apple is known for its design and should change the look of the iPhone this year. Galaxy SII always looked bland to me, I don't know if the new model will change that.

GSII looks slick. It is also much thinner and lighter despite the larger screen. GSII has the better design imo... unless you just like to look at the phone and nothing else matters. i guess the iphone can compete in design if that is all you care about.

shamo42

My experience of AMOLED hasn't been great. My Galaxy S2 had a yellow tint on left side of screen (But that was common and fixed in an update) but it's the lines that develop over time that really bother me. My Nexus is really starting to show them and it's only a few months old.

This is why I will never buy a phone with AMOLED again. It's like plasma burn in but on a phone. After a half a year most AMOLED screens look terrible. If you have brightness always at maximum it starts to show even after weeks.

I hope to see the WOLED tech implemented into phones soon.

Cipherr

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;37216830 said:
I want one a GSIII. GSII does everything I need it to and I've only had it 8 months or something. must resist...

Yea, its getting extremely hard to do the "new phone every two years" dance. Especially if you follow the mobile industry. Shit just keeps getting better, and so quickly. Im sure it will level off at some point and slow down, but goddamn. Still, my body is ready. I am literally sold on the OneX, just going to give Sammy a shot here to change my mind.

njean777

Galaxy Nexus is still the best android phone IMO, updates will always be on time and its sanctioned by google. I have no clue why people buy any other android phone.

soultron

Banned
Have a GalS Fascinate and am starting to hate it. If the SIII is great, I'll upgrade. If not, I'm gonna switch to an iPhone4 S. The most annoying thing about Android, in my experience, is that if your phone isn't current, your app experience will be absolute shit. Slowdown, unresponsive touch screen, hard locks, crashes, slow launching, etc. It amazes me that some devs still aren't even putting the option to "move to SD card."

Can anyone guess how this will compare to the Galaxy Note?
If it turns out that this would end up getting a stylus support, then I'd probably just go with this one.

Galaxy Nexus is still the best android phone IMO, updates will always be on time and its sanctioned by google. I have no clue why people buy any other android phone.
Because you can buy phones with better hardware and just throw CM9 on it which is better than Stock ICS.

Top Bottom