• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

might as well put some fakes and renders in the OP to go along with the bad resolution info...

... or ...

DAT GPU

0bPcS.png

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Regarding resolution:

rVtRx.png

I'll bet my favourite hat that it's 1280x720.
Seriously? My buddy keeps bugging me about how it's going to be bigger than the One X resolution wise, dude can't shut up about it. If it's actually 720p I'll smack him in the face

The PC vs Mac ads were mostly correct but they just over-emphasised the differences. Samsung's effort is just crude, kind of insulting, and troll bait for a fanbase that it hopes to build but doesn't actually exist. Instead of showing people why they should buy an Samsung Android phone all they do is tell people not to buy an iPhone. That doesn't work.

how many Galaxy Notes did they sell ship sell again?

Cipherr

What? Lol, how about yes. At least on any actual real information we have right now, GPU benchmarks mainly, its very superior to One X.

how many Galaxy Notes did they sell ship sell again?

Yeah seriously this. No idea why he doesn't think the Galaxy line has a fanbase, it clearly does. Outside of being the most highly regarded Android line, 5m Bigass galaxy's sold in a few months, and over 20m S2's sold as of like, February.

Pein

Banned
step up the design from the GS2. Never buying a plain looking phone like the old galaxy again. With phones like the one x and lumia 900 out there its hard to go for plastic black slab.

Seriously? My buddy keeps bugging me about how it's going to be bigger than the One X resolution wise, dude can't shut up about it. If it's actually 720p I'll smack him in the face

The One X has hardware buttons so that should actually have more user addressable space in many scenarios.

step up the design from the GS2. Never buying a plain looking phone like the old galaxy again. With phones like the one x and lumia 900 out there its hard to go for plastic black slab.

it's hard to take phones seriously when they remove great features like a battery compartment and hot swappable sd cards...

We dont have a clue whether or not the S3 will have a pentile or a RGB layout dude. Its to early for this, it could have an LCD2 on the GS3 for all we know.

Yeah thats kind of the point. It started with the Galaxy Nexus. No more capacitive buttons.
It's going to be PenTile.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Got my old galaxy S captivate still and debating on the upgrade. Eyeing the HTC One X but maybe Ill just wait for this guy.

Wes

venison crêpe
My contract is up on my phone (HTC Desire) and I want to get a new android. I was looking at the HTC One X but my understanding is, and forgive my ignorance, that HTC have fallen behind Samsung somewhat with regards to Android, is this correct?

I'll wait to see how the Galaxy SIII shapes up either way.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yeah thats kind of the point. It started with the Galaxy Nexus. No more capacitive buttons.
So what happens with phones that don't have it regarding future compatibility? Will they have the black space laying there on the underside or?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My contract is up on my phone (HTC Desire) and I want to get a new android. I was looking at the HTC One X but my understanding is, and forgive my ignorance, that HTC have fallen behind Samsung somewhat with regards to Android, is this correct?

I'll wait to see how the Galaxy SIII shapes up either way.

Nah, the One X is pretty great. One of the best phone out right now.

So what happens with phones that don't have it regarding future compatibility? Will they have the black space laying there on the underside or?

Nah, that space just isn't there if there are already buttons.

if they have hardware buttons, they don't have software buttons showing on-screen, whatever is being displayed just fills the whole screen... except for the occasional screwup or weird app... one more reason for HW buttons... more usable space!

I have the SGS2 Skyrocket and I've been pretty happy with it. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my hardware (capacitive) buttons yet, though. The on screen buttons just seem weird to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They're not going to use a Pentile screen ala Galaxy Nexus, right? I would certainly hope not.

Dreaver

My contract ended last month. I am having a hard time deciding to buy the S3 or wait for the iPhone 5...
Really interested in the reveal of the S3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sorry, I don't have a "thisissamsung.gif" file on my Picasa account.
It's not as if Samsung doesn't already manufacture beautiful screens. I don't see why they insist on using such an ugly technology. It isn't worth it at all.

nib95

Banned
Come on Samsung, don't disappoint me. Been waiting to jump on the Android bandwagon for some time now. Had enough of the iPhone for now.

Biff

I have a SGSII and have zero need for this device... but I already want it bad. :|

I have an SGS1 and am ready to fully enjoy the generational leap from single core to quad core.

One of the few times I feel my early-adopter behaviour has paid off.

I have an SGS1 and am ready to fully enjoy the generational leap from single core to quad core.

One of the few times I feel my early-adopter behaviour has paid off.

I'm in the same boat. It better have a removable battery tho, I carry 2 extras with my SGS1 now and it's incredibly convenient. Lack of hardware buttons is odd, and it doesn't seem like it had a slide out keyboard. The processor is a huge improvement tho, I hope it ends up being a good replacement.

Really anticipating this because I find the Galaxy line consistently one of the best of the Android offerings. I'm on WP7 at the moment and was planning on holding out for Apollo (WP8) but if Samsung brings in the sexy hardware, I might be tempted to jump back to Android (as a former owner of an HTC EVO 4G).

Cipherr

It's not as if Samsung doesn't already manufacture beautiful screens. I don't see why they insist on using such an ugly technology. It isn't worth it at all.

We dont know anything about the screen yet, we think its going to be 4.7 or 4.8 though. But dont let anyone convince you that anything about it has been confirmed.

It hasnt. Could go either way, or even LCD. Thats very unlikely, but after finding out Samsung is actually behind the LCD2 tech, shiiiiiiiiiit anything is possible.

Top Bottom