• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida man throws soda at Taco Bell register, charged with felony

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.gainesville.com/article/...throwing-soda-on-register-charged-with-felony

Upset that his order wasn't prepared correctly, a 30-year-old man is accused of throwing his soda on a cash register at a Taco Bell in Gainesville on Sunday night, shutting down the restaurant's computer network for several hours.

Suresh A. Chapman, of Gainesville, was charged with damaging a computer resulting in a loss of $5,000 or more, a second-degree felony.

Police said he threw his soft drink at the register and credit card machine at the Taco Bell at 3408 Archer Road at about 8 p.m., causing an estimated $2,500 worth of damage.

The damage to the computer network meant the store lost about $3,000 in revenue, according to a Gainesville Police Department report.

GPD spokeswoman Cpl. Angelina Valuri said Officer Sean Borges was right to charge Chapman with the second-degree felony, which can carry a 15-year prison sentence.

“That was the appropriate charge, based on the damage that was done to the business,” Valuri said. “That's not a way to handle your problems if you're upset with your order.”

A manager at Taco Bell said Monday that he couldn't comment on the incident.

Because of the arrest, Chapman also was charged with violating his probation on a 2011 child abuse case, according to the arrest report.

While the bond was set at $5,000 for the computer damage charge, Chapman was being held Monday at the Alachua County jail without bond because he had been charged with violating his probation.

bluehat9

Reminds me of that guy that got arrested for stealing a cup of soda from McDonald's and was facing years in jail because of prior convictions. That might have been Florida too, can't remember.

ZZMitch

c4s_freeman121509_98586c.jpg

It was only a matter of time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Police also noticed that the 6-foot-tall, 280-pound man was “sweating profusely” and carrying a black belt in one hand.

Officer Marquitta Brown told Chapman she was there to check out reports of a child screaming.

According to the report, he spontaneously told her, “Look, I have a right to discipline my child, and nobody can tell me what I can and cannot do to my child.”

Police said the girl, who apparently had been beaten with the belt, was not Chapman’s daughter but the daughter of his girlfriend from Alachua.

The little girl, who appeared to Brown to have trouble walking, told investigators she was being beaten with the belt because she had wet herself and vomited. Bruises and welts were found along the girl’s backbone, arms, legs, hands and thighs.

Lol at people defending this piece of shit. Probation exists for a reason.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
the child abuse charge:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20110329/ARTICLES/110329406/1109/sports?p=1&tc=pg

corporeal punishment-GAF's personal martyr.

The little girl, who appeared to Brown to have trouble walking, told investigators she was being beaten with the belt because she had wet herself and vomited. Bruises and welts were found along the girl’s backbone, arms, legs, hands and thighs.

wtf

There's a difference between spanking and doing what he did.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There have been GAFers who have argued that belt whipping was fine.

Usually when people say spanking it just means with the hand. Also note that this is GAF.

I find it funny that he'd be used as an example to smear one side. I guess one can say that those people who spoil their children are smear to the other?

Usually when people say spanking it just means with the hand. Also note that this is GAF.

How many marks are you allowed to make with your hand until it crosses the line?

Yep.

this guy

I'm gonna echo everyone else and say fuck that guy. If he didn't have a prior record like that then I think the potential sentence would be way over the line. But in this case it's hard to feel any sympathy for the guy. Double standards be damned.

Also, ctrl+f "spanking"
4bb.gif

Taco bell is going to get their money back in insurance, and that $3k, is that lost income from that specific taco bell for the rest of the day? wtf thats a bit much.

snesfreak

Banned
No one who hits a child will ever get any sympathy from me.
And people who were abused as a child and try to defend it are in denial.

RPGCrazied

15 years for throwing a soda at a register? Wow. I do think he should get punished or fined, but 15 years in the slammer? Come on.

Kusagari

Have they ever messed up your order?

Not really. Most of the employees there are pretty good. There is this one girl, though, who has been working there for at least a couple months who still screws up working the cash register and screws up orders sometimes.

I bet she waited on him lol.

15 years for throwing a soda at a register? Wow. I do think he should get punished or fined, but 15 years in the slammer? Come on.

This wasn't a first time offender. He was already on probation for child abuse. Then went on a lost his temper, reacted like somebody not capable of living in a normal society and caused a couple thousand dollars worth of damage and revenue loss, according to the article.

Yeah, this otherwise would have been a minor to moderate charge. However, I have a feeling the stipulations of a probation are quite clear... And I'm sure that involves not committing any felonies or else risk serving the entirety of the original sentence in prison.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This wasn't a first time offender. He was already on probation for child abuse. Then went on a lost his temper, reacted like somebody not capable of living in a normal society and caused a couple thousand dollars worth of damage and revenue loss, according to the article.

Yeah, this otherwise would have been a minor to moderate charge. However, I have a feeling the stipulations of a probation are quite clear... And I'm sure that involves not committing any felonies or else risk serving the entirety of the original sentence in prison.

From how I interpreted the article, the potential sentence for the charge given was before they even considered how the whole violating probation affects things.

You do know that 15 years is simply the maximum sentence allowed for that level of felony right? That is why we have judges, so they can hear the case and make an appropriate decision regarding punishment.

From how I interpreted the article, the potential sentence for the charge given was before they even considered how the whole violating probation affects things.

The charge itself carries a maximum of 15 years. It has nothing to do with his probation violation.

I see. I guess different classes of felonies have standard sentence lengths maybe? However if this was just a first time offense, the charges more than likely would have been reduced or he would have got nowhere near a sentence of 15 years for this.

I mean I think usually I've seen a person get charged with something somewhat severe, then once the lawyers start talking, the charge gets downgraded/pleaded out and the person is sentenced to something quite minor in the end.

But given that this person has a history, I doubt he will be afforded much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom