• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon to introduce "Share Everything" plan 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epix

Searched and didn't see this posted.

Verizon today announced the launch of a new "Share Everything" pricing structure designed to allow users to share monthly data allotments across multiple devices. The plan, which is rolling out on June 28, includes unlimited voice and messaging across all devices, with an overall data cap and number and type of devices being the only differentiating factors among pricing tiers.

Each device carries a base monthly access charge ranging from $10 for a tablet to $40 for a smartphone. A single data charge is then applied on top of that base amount, starting at $50 for 1 GB and ranging up to $100 for 10 GB. Mobile hotspot functionality within the data cap is also included at no extra charge.

verizon_share_everything_matrix.jpg

Compared to Verizon's existing plans, the new Share Everything plan appears to represent a solid value even for single-device customers interested in unlimited minutes and texting, but less so for other customers.

Under Verizon's current pricing, a customer would pay a total of $120 per month for unlimited minutes ($70), unlimited messaging ($20) and 2 GB of data ($30). Adding mobile hotspot functionality costs an additional $20 but increases the total data cap to 4 GB.

With the new Share Everything plan, a customer would pay $100 per month for the same service: $40 smartphone access and $60 for unlimited minutes and messaging and 2 GB of data. With mobile hotspot functionality included at no additional charge, stepping up to the 4 GB plan would cost just $10. In addition, a user could add an iPad to his or her account for just $10 per month with no contract requirement, as long as it was drawing from the same data allotment as the user's phone.

The plans are not as good of a deal for users with packages of lower numbers of minutes. A user with 450 minutes, unlimited messaging and 2 GB of data would pay $90 under current plans, compared to $100 under Share Everything, although the new plan does offer mobile hotspot at no additional charge. Current plans also offer a range of messaging options from pay-per-use up to unlimited, allowing lower-use customers to cut their monthly bills even further.

As the balance of smartphone usage shifts increasingly toward data and away from voice minutes, carriers are seeking to simplify the voice and messaging aspects of their plans to focus on data allotments as the primary differentiator among their plans. The shift is a reversal from the previous model in which customers selected from a number of options for voice minutes and then received unlimited data for a set monthly charge. In addition to Verizon, AT&T has also expressed its preference for this new model, while Sprint, the third major iPhone carrier in the United States, has indicated that it remains committed to its unlimited data offerings.

I've been waiting for a plan like this to pop up ahead of the iPhone 5 launch. Once AT&T launches their version I'll have another decision on my hands....

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12...verything-service-plan-for-up-to-ten-devices/

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Jumping on this for my iPhone 5.

iPhone 5 for me + iPhone 4S (existing) for my wife + iPad LTE = $40 + $40 + $10 + $100 for a total of $190 between all my devices.

My bill is typically $80 for my iPhone on AT&T (which isn't unlimited minutes, not like that matters, and only 2GB of data)
My wife's bill is about the same on Verizon (which isn't unlimited)
My iPad is going for $50 a month for 5GB

So basically $210 separately or $190 together...and better services and more data across all devices.

I'm happy.

Wait...$50 for unlimited minutes and unlimited texts? So I can get that for my wife and I and only pay $50?

If that's the case, I'm out AT&T.

CrankyJay

Banned
Wow, this may be doable for me and my wife as she doesn't really consume much data or texts.

edit: Nvm...didn't see the $40 per smartphone....

With AT&T we both have iphone4...we both get 200 txts per month, I have the 2GB data plan and she has the 200MB plan, and our total is $113 a month AFTER taxes.

Would be way higher with Verizon no matter what we choose.

Epix

Wait...$50 for unlimited minutes and unlimited texts? So I can get that for my wife and I and only pay $50?

If that's the case, I'm out AT&T.

It would $40x2 for both of your smartphones + $50 for a shared pool of 1GB (includes unlimmited calls and text messages). $130 total bill.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This is absolutely awful. And, if the CEO's words are to be believed, they are going to force everyone that they previously grandfathered into unlimited data, off their plan and onto this shared plan.

So my $100 plan right now for unlimited voice/text/data will now run me $100 for voice/text and 2/gb data - I use that in a freaking week. If I wanted to get to 10gb where I might be safe... that will now cost me $140 a month plus possible overages. GREAT!

Can anyone tell me why it costs $40 to hook a smart phone up, while it only costs $10 for a freaking tablet?

If they honestly try to force people off their grandfathered plans, I will absolutely leave Verizon... even if I have to choose a competitor at the same price.

Epix

Wow, this may be doable for me and my wife as she doesn't really consume much data or texts.

edit: Nvm...didn't see the $40 per smartphone....

With AT&T we both have iphone4...we both get 200 txts per month, I have the 2GB data plan and she has the 200MB plan, and our total is $113 a month AFTER taxes.

Would be way higher with Verizon no matter what we choose.

Yeah this plan is definitely tailored more for heavier users BUT mobile hotspot is included for free with every tier so there's some potential savings there.

An-Det

I suppose that'll be a decent deal for people with many devices or for families, there's got to be a nice balance for some people in it. Definitely a neat idea. All it does it remind me that someday soon they're going to fuck me over and remove my grandfathered unlimited data.

This is absolutely awful. And, if the CEO's words are to be believed, they are going to force everyone that they previously grandfathered into unlimited data, off their plan and onto this shared plan.

So my $100 plan right now for unlimited voice/text/data will now run me $100 for voice/text and 2/gb data - I use that in a freaking week. If I wanted to get to 10gb where I might be safe... that will now cost me $140 a month plus possible overages. GREAT!

Can anyone tell me why it costs $40 to hook a smart phone up, while it only costs $10 for a freaking tablet?

If they honestly try to force people off their grandfathered plans, I will absolutely leave Verizon... even if I have to choose a competitor at the same price.

No legitimate reason, just that they can make more money from it.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
From this USA Today article:

"Existing customers may move to the new plans without paying a fee or extending their contract. "We are not going to force migrate customers to these plans," says Tami Erwin, Verizon Wireless' chief marketing officer.

She says the pricing overhaul was introduced in response to consumers' demand for simplicity. " One of the key messages is how hard and complex the buying decision is," she says."

Ok, so they aren't going to force you... but they will make it difficult as hell for you if you want to get a new device - so looks like I'm stuck with my iPhone 4 for way longer than I expected. Hope I don't break/lose it because then I'm boned.

Also... how is this easier? Your talking points are bullshit Verizon.

Darias

I can't wait for prices to be reasonable.

If only more people understood (and raised hell about) that the cost of text messaging for carriers regardless of the number of messages being sent is zero... So the carriers are gouging so much money by charging twenty bucks for 'messaging.'

W1SSY

This is a joke. How many people actually need unlimited text and minutes? But by putting that with the shared data they are able to price this to the point that it isn't going to save people money. Hopefully AT&T does a better job with what they do but I won't be holding my breath.

For some people, this will save them money, but not for everyone. For me it would save me about $20 a month because of the Tablet data plan addition.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wonder if this will work with a 4G iPad...

Although mine is Wifi only, I'd have gotten the Verizon one if I could share data with my phone.

ari

Banned
where is all this iphone 5 talk coming from?

this would save me money actually compared to my current plan.

linkboy

where is all this iphone 5 talk coming from?

Apple did just have a huge conference yesterday showing iOS 6 with a release date of this fall.

Its coming out this fall.

As for this stupid verizon plan, I'm sticking with my 4S for as long as possible.

CrankyJay

Banned
Apple did just have a huge conference yesterday showing iOS 6 with a release date of this fall.

Its coming out this fall.

As for this stupid verizon plan, I'm sticking with my 4S for as long as possible.

Sounds like I'll be doing the same with my 4. I had plans to upgrade me and my wife to the 5 and then move from AT&T to Verizon to take advantage of LTE (assuming the 5 will be LTE) because AT&T doesn't have an LTE presence in Buffalo. But if these are the prices, doesn't sound like I'll be moving any time soon.

Meier

Nice deal. Shame my fiancee is under a lengthy contract with Sprint now for her 4S (since it's been so fucking long since the 4, I am actually out of contract now with AT&T technically). I think we could comfortably share 4 GB but I'd probably go with the 6 if I went this route.

Levyne

Banned
Hell..if I manage to avoid officially "upgrading" and holding on to my unlimited plan...paying for a non subsidized phone might actually save me money...

ari

Banned
i'm paying so much fucking more.

current monthly bill:

unlimiting texting and that 2000 min plans 110 dollars

droid 3 = 2 gb data plan 60 bucks a month
blackberry curve = 2gb data plan 60 a month
gusto- 17 a month no data plan
revo- 30 dollars a month, social data plan
droid bionic 4gb data plan 80 bucks a month

including taxes and device add on for the plan....runs me like 300 to 400 dollars a damn month.

yea, i'm joining this new plan.

snacknuts

we all knew her
These plans are absolutely terrible. Right now the wife and I pay $140/month for two phones with 700 shared minutes, zero texts, and unlimited data. We never come close to using our minutes, and between Google Voice and WhatsApp, we refuse to pay for texts. After recently switching to a 4G device and seeing my data usage skyrocket (I used more data in one month of owning my Razr Maxx than in the seven months I had my iPhone 4S), you'll have to pry my unlimited data out of my cold, dead hands.

RubxQub

Is everyone ignoring that in the very first reply where I lay out my scenario where this plan is cheaper and better for me?

This isn't crazy for everyone at all.

Levyne

Banned
i'm paying so much fucking more.

current monthly bill:

unlimiting texting and that 2000 min plans 110 dollars

droid 3 = 2 gb data plan 60 bucks a month
blackberry curve = 2gb data plan 60 a month
gusto- 17 a month no data plan
revo- 30 dollars a month, social data plan
droid bionic 4gb data plan 80 bucks a month

including taxes and device add on for the plan....runs me like 300 to 400 dollars a damn month.

yea, i'm joining this new plan.

2 gb data plans for 60 bucks a month? I thought the current (I guess old now) was 2 gbs for 30 dollars but almost always you get bumped up to 4 if it's 4g.

Current monthly bill with 4 GB data (2GB per device): $150 AFTER TAXES (2 iPhones)

Monthly bill under new plan with less data allowances (1GB shared): $180 BEFORE TAXES (2 iPhones)

FUCK YOU VERIZON!

Zapages

I am paying about 98 to 110 dollars a month (we sometimes go over 200 messages sometimes) for
1 - smartphone with 2GB plan with 200 text messages
1 - non smartphone with no data plan and with 200 text messages
550 shared minutes...

This is through AT&T...

With Verizone it would cost
130 dollars from the start due to 1 smartphone with 2 GB and 1 basic phone...

Meier

Current monthly bill with 4 GB data (2GB per device): $150 AFTER TAXES (2 iPhones)

Monthly bill under new plan with less data allowances (1GB shared): $180 BEFORE TAXES (2 iPhones)

FUCK YOU VERIZON!

It is not $50 (or $70) per device if you're getting confused? You would pay $150 under this new scenario for 2 $40 phones and a $70 data plan for 4 GB. It also looks like this new plan offers tethering which is nice although probably not entirely useful unless you get a significantly higher data plan.

I just noticed you could add a tablet to your base data plan too which is fucking phenomenal given the exorbitant rates they currently charge for tablet data usage.

RubxQub

FUCK YOU VERIZON!

What? Are you even reading the plan details?

$40 for iPhone 1 + $40 for iPhone 2 + however much data you want

You're looking at $80 for the devices + $70 for 4GB shared for $150...so unchanged.

Epix

FUCK YOU VERIZON!

Wouldn't two iPhones with 1GB shared be $130 under the new plan?

ultron87

Edit: Beaten a bunch of times.

I think this might work out better for my current plan I'm sharing with some other family members.

Thaedolus

And people make fun of me for staying on my parents' Verizon family plan. I still pay only 40 a month for my insurance, unlimited texting, my share of 1600 minutes (which I hardly use) and my grandfathered unlimited 4G (which I use the fuck out of). Feels good bra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom