• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon to introduce "Share Everything" plan 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rep I talked to said I can not keep my unlimited plan if I switch to the Samsung galaxy s3 because the contract goes into effect when the phone ships, which is after June 28th....
False, preorders of galaxy 3 are guaranteed to be able to keep unlimited a long a you preorder before the 28 th

I'll stick with prepaid. I don't know how anyone can justify spending this much for a phone outside of business needs. 4G speed is made completely useless by data caps.

Why is the pricing different for each device? Data used by a tablet is the same data used by a phone.

If they charged more then $10 for a tablet people would just tether.

Zee-Row

Banned
Still has data caps which is why sprint is still more attractive to me. I use my phone a lot for internet radio in my car.

clav

These quotes might shake some nerves in here.

Verizon's McAdam defends concept behind shared data plans

"Customers have been telling us for years, I don't want to have a separate account for my iPad or for the four appliances in my house. It's a sea change," McAdam said at the Guggenheim Securities 2012 TMT Symposium. "This, I think, dramatically changes how people feel about their devices. The usage moves around. They don't have to think about it. It just makes life so much easier for them."

"Is it going to cost them more money? Yeah. But it will probably shift their wallet spend from things they do individually into a bucket of gigabytes," he said. "The relationship will change. This will be something much more ingrained in their life as opposed to something that's attached to their hip."

"Paying more makes your lives easier guys. Don't resist. Don't think about it. Don't complain about the low caps."

womp

These quotes might shake some nerves in here.

Verizon's McAdam defends concept behind shared data plans

"Paying more makes your lives easier guys. Don't resist. Don't think about it. Don't complain about the low caps."

This guy seems to think we *have* to use and put up with his company's service. This type of arrogance doesn't work - To make the customer look like an idiot.

How does it make my life easier if I have to constantly monitor my usage over multiple devices for that matter?

After being with Verizon Wireless for 12 years...It looks like the next time I have to upgrade, will be my last. Goodbye. In the meantime unlimited 4G on our Nexus phones until they croak or 2014.

What would happen in this scenario:

John and Mary are in a family plan. John has a grandfathered 4G unlimited plan. Mary has never had a smart phone with a data plan. Mary finally gets a 4G phone in July. What would their pricing and data options be?

AndyD

aka andydumi
What would happen in this scenario:

John and Mary are in a family plan. John has a grandfathered 4G unlimited plan. Mary has never had a smart phone with a data plan. Mary finally gets a 4G phone in July. What would their pricing and data options be?

From speaking to Verizon, any changes to the plan after the 28th moves everyone to the new options. They said you can remove a phone, but not add anything to an existing plan.

So in your case, adding a smartphone (or upgrading dumbphone to smartphone and adding data), would require a change in plan, and both people would be in the new shared plans.

Fathead

You can add lines to existing family shares just like you can now.

Example:

John has 3 lines, 2 have smartphones. On June 30, John can add a 4th line, with a smartphone, for the rates like he would add one today. No difference.

The only time you will be forced to the "Share Everything" will be a brand new account, going from 1 line to 2 lines, or going from 5 lines to 6 lines.

Fathead

Trust me. I can assure you that you won't be forced into share everything. Even if you upgrade after the 28th with an unlimited plan, you aren't forced into share everything, you can choose to do the current 2GB for $30 add on data plan.

You can also continue to move up and down through the current family share minute structure. If you need to switch to the 1400 minutes from the 700 you will be allowed to.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you have an upgrade ready and want to keep your unlimited data, you could always "upgrade" to a iPhone 4S, sell the phone and buy whatever you want off contract later.

I still have to laugh that data is far more expensive than it used to be despite the fact that in theory, data should be cheaper to deliver over time, not more expensive.

Alucrid

Banned
So is there anyway to weasel out of a contract due to this change in the plan? My phone just broke and it's out of warranty. Apparently I still have a $30 off two year upgrade thing that is completely invalidated by the $30 upgrade charge. What bullshit.

Meanwhile in the UK, T-Mobile has a SIM only tariff which is unlimited calls, texts and internet data for £31/month (about $50/month). Granted, this doesn't include a phone, but stuff with phone included tends to top out at £62/month (~$100/month) for top of the range unlimited everything latest iPhone shenanigans. Considering that this is $50/month before line rental for 1Gb/month data, and $90/month for one smartphone, I think anyone taking this up is getting royally ripped off.

Violater

Was considering getting a line on my peeps family plan at the end of this month, but they would loose their unlimited data, so no sale.
Guess I am sticking to sprint and starting my own family.

gimmmick

Did verizon just kill off every other voice plan today? It seems like the only plans avaliable now is share everything and pre paid.

Wait a minute. It now costs 100 dollars to get a data plan at Verizon?

Holy fucking shit. I pay 80.24 including all taxes for my 2GB iPhone plan. I will NEVER switch to verizon now.

Just wanna say fuck verizon. After being with them for over 10 years I'll be switching when the new Iphone comes out, most likely to Sprint.

Fox Mulder

Wait a minute. It now costs 100 dollars to get a data plan at Verizon?

Holy fucking shit. I pay 80.24 including all taxes for my 2GB iPhone plan. I will NEVER switch to verizon now.

$100 is what it would cost for a smartphone with 2GB of data. I currently pay $71 a month for 450 minutes I never use, 250 texts, and unlimited data. So now they push unlimited talk and text over data, hahaha.

I hope this backfires so hard so the rest of the industry doesn't try this. People are stupid, but not that stupid. A 20 dollar increase for most people versus the competitor is a huge reason not to go with Verizon now.

This doesn't also account for the fact you have to pay additional cash for any other device connected.

$100 is what it would cost for a smartphone with 2GB of data. I currently pay $71 a month for 450 minutes I never use, 250 texts, and unlimited data. So now they push unlimited talk and text over data, hahaha.

It's ridiculous. I pay 80.24 TOTAL. That means with all the bullshit taxes, surcharges ect. I get 2GB, unlimited texts, and 550 minutes a month. So why the fuck would I want to pay and additional 30 dollars for the privilege of getting voice minutes I won't use?

This seriously better backfire hard.

Pocks

I'm paying about $100 a month now for 1400 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data.

I'm going to get with 6 other family members to bring my bill down to $65 for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 10GB shared data (they only use ~2GB).

If I didn't have a big family, I'd be pissed.

Get with some friends and bunk up, folks!

Fox Mulder

I hope this backfires so hard so the rest of the industry doesn't try this. People are stupid, but not that stupid. A 20 dollar increase for most people versus the competitor is a huge reason not to go with Verizon now.

I don't know. There's certainly a bunch of families out there that will benefit from this.

This is a ripoff for anyone on a single plan though. I don't use half of my minutes a month, do just fine with 250 texts, and average around 2.5 gigs a month. It would be a $29 rise for my usage, unless I want to stay on my current phone forever or pay out the ass for one retail. Of course, going month to month after a contract expires requires you to keep paying the same monthly rate as you did under a subsidy.

maybe I'm doing this wrong, but I just went to verizon to see what the plan was all about. I clicked on the link to compare my current plan to the new share everything. For the cheapest plan, my new bill will be 6 dollars more with only 300mb of data. I just ran the account analyst and it looks like i've been using just under 3.5 gigs a month. Fuck Verizon, I'm gone once my contract is up

DR3AM

luckily i signed up when they had unlimited data and my contract is almost up. im just going to buy the iphone 5 on Craigslist. no more contracts for me.

Was considering getting a line on my peeps family plan at the end of this month, but they would loose their unlimited data, so no sale.
Guess I am sticking to sprint and starting my own family.
You can join their plan without impacting their unlimited.

Also Verizon already secretly killed the 30GB tier

I didn't realize they were killing all options so if I want a smart phone I have to essentially pay a minimum of $100 and that's for 2GB. I need a phone for business soon and this is just absurd especially with it being so much cheaper at ATT and you get 3GB. This might be good for families but I can't believe how hard they dick over a single user. Seems I'm almost forced to go with ATT now.

Kotoko

Banned
With Att, I pay $62.75 for my samsung galaxy s iii, unlimited data and text. Of course its not unlimited data but the word is nice.

Surprisingly most people at work like the family share plan since they'll be able to add more devices for less and they (IT people) don't use that much data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom