• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon to introduce "Share Everything" plan 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. I used to work at Circuit City and this is exactly the way it worked. Still, it sucks being on this end of it.

Do you have any insights or details?

Heading to work right now, Ill post tonight if theres anything

That's is my understanding, but dont quote me on it. I've been considering upgrading from my Droid X this summer if something comes along that blows my mind, and from what I understand I'll have to do full price to maintain my contract.

Full price purchase or staying month to month = no contract change because youre locked into whatever you last signed.

If you have an upgrade available now, and you want to to keep what exists, do it before the 28th, that locks you in.

There are still people on 25 minute plans from 1996.

Fantasmo

If you get a subsidized phone from Verizon for your upgrade, they're going to force you to a tiered data plan.

You'll lose your unlimited data.

Very important question here. I have a Droid2 which is 3g. What happens if I get a secondhand 4g phone a few months from now and just change the device? Can I keep unlimited data?

This only saves money for people already paying $130 or more on their current bill. Verizon is basically saying okay, we can give these high paying customers a little break but we're gonna force the cheap customers to pay up and become a high paying customer (either that or pay for your own phone full price).

Epix

Very important question here. I have a Droid2 which is 3g. What happens if I get a secondhand 4g phone a few months from now and just change the device? Can I keep unlimited data?

As long as you're not acquiring a subsidized device from Verizon they shouldn't force you to modify your contract.

AndyD

aka andydumi

They addressed this a month or so back. Short answer: No.

If you want 4G there is no way to currently get unlimited 4G. If you were grandfathered into 4G from last year after they started 4G but before they killed the unlimited plans, then you could now buy a device full price and keep your plan. However, adding a 4G device now to a 3G plan would cause you to have to go to a new 4G plan.

Look up the articles from about a month ago when the speculation about these new data pools started. They control the 4G because you need a sim card for it, so technically the excuse is that you need a new 4G plan. You cant just buy a used 4G device and have it work on an old 3G plan.

Cobra84

700 minutes (250 used per month), unlimited texts, 1 dumb phone and 4 smartphones (2 4GB, 2 unlimited) or unlimited minutes/texts, 1 dumb phone, and 4 smartphones with 6GB for the same price ($250). I'll pass.

Fantasmo

As long as you're not acquiring a subsidized device from Verizon they shouldn't force you to modify your contract.
Does 4g add any cost or change to the plan? I think 4g on Sprint tacks on $10. Does anyone know if Verizon allows you the 3g to 4g change seamlessly?

Does 4g add any cost or change to the plan? I think 4g on Sprint tacks on $10. Does anyone know if Verizon allows you the 3g to 4g change seamlessly?

If yo currently have unlimited 3G, you will be bumped in the 4G for the same price. At least, that is what will happen when I upgrade before the end of the month.

AndyD

aka andydumi

If yo currently have unlimited 3G, you will be bumped in the 4G for the same price. At least, that is what will happen when I upgrade before the end of the month.

I believe this is incorrect. At least based on other reports. They only allowed a smooth 3G to 4G unlimited upgrade while the unlimited 4G plans were available. Since 4G requires a sim card, they force you to a 4G plan, and you pick from what's available now, which is tiered. After the 28th it will be these shared buckets.

Fantasmo

I believe this is incorrect. At least based on other reports. They only allowed a smooth 3G to 4G unlimited upgrade while the unlimited 4G plans were available. Since 4G requires a sim card, they force you to a 4G plan, and you pick from what's available now, which is tiered. After the 28th it will be these shared buckets.

Sad if true. Can anyone else confirm this?

MrMephistoX

Yeah I'd love confirmation too. My wife upgraded from a Droid Eris to Thunderbolt when that rolled out and at the time it was Verizon's only 4G phone so she got unlimited data, I've held onto my iPhone 4 waiting for the 5 and 4G based on what Verizon told me at the time that I'd be grandfathered in.

rozay

Banned
My friend just picked up a galaxy nexus today coming from an unlimited 3G plan and he says he did get unlimited LTE.

I feel like they will not let you do this when the next iPhone or Galaxy S3 comes out, so my best recommendation if you want one of those two is to pick up a razr maxx now, verify that you get unlimited LTE on your plan and then flip it on craigslist, then put that money towards whichever phone you want without a contract. Otherwise you might be stuck on unlimited 3G if they refuse to change your plan down the line.

MrMephistoX

My friend just picked up a galaxy nexus today coming from an unlimited 3G plan and he says he did get unlimited LTE.

I feel like they will not let you do this when the next iPhone or Galaxy S3 comes out, so my best recommendation if you want one of those two is to pick up a razr maxx now, verify that you get unlimited LTE on your plan and then flip it on craigslist, then put that money towards whichever phone you want without a contract. Otherwise you might be stuck on unlimited 3G if they refuse to change your plan down the line.

Normally I'm all for gaming the system like this, haven't paid for an iPhone upgrade since my first handset thanks to flipping my old iPhones on craigslist but this is one time where I might just pass a long a hearty fuck you to Verizon and hope others do so on principle so that Verizon feel the pinch and change their offerings.

Fatalah

milliondollar(1).jpg

rozay

Banned
Normally I'm all for gaming the system like this, haven't paid for an iPhone upgrade since my first handset thanks to flipping my old iPhones on craigslist but this is one time where I might just pass a long a hearty fuck you to Verizon and hope others do so on principle so that Verizon feel the pinch and change their offerings.
by doing what? they won't care from all the money they make from these changes.

They addressed this a month or so back. ShYuort answer: No.

If you want 4G there is no way to currently get unlimited 4G. If you were grandfathered into 4G from last year after they started 4G but before they killed the unlimited plans, then you could now buy a device full price and keep your plan. However, adding a 4G device now to a 3G plan would cause you to have to go to a new 4G plan.

Look up the articles from about a month ago when the speculation about these new data pools started. They control the 4G because you need a sim card for it, so technically the excuse is that you need a new 4G plan. You cant just buy a used 4G device and have it work on an old 3G plan.

100% false. Until the 28th you can go to 4g and keep unlimited. After that you can keepit add long add you don't assign a new contact

galperi1

I don't think this is true. I have a droid incredible with unlimited 3g data and preordered the galaxy s3 on the first day available and through the upgrade process and subsequent confirmation email i got to keep my unlimited data package which was upgraded to 4g unlimited. This should technically be the case until June 28.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm planning on opening a new Verizon account with me + 4 (possibly 5 later) family members.

I'll be the only smartphone user out of the lot and I've never gone over 1GB data per month. Looks like this plan kinda sucks.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
No, if you're on unlimited 3G now, you can get a 4G phone and still get unlimited 4G (until the 28th when these terrible plans take over). I did just this with my Nexus last month.

I pay $15 per month for 200 texts and unlimited (yes, truly unlimited) data on AT&T.
I will never change my contract.
Pretty sure you're getting capped data speeds after 3GB of data on HSPA, and 5GB of data on LTE. Verizon doesn't do that for their unlimited plans (yet)

MrMephistoX

by doing what? they won't care from all the money they make from these changes.

Leaving and going to another provider or going pre-paid: I miss my AT&T rollover minutes. LOL either way I lose but Verizon shall not win! Sprint is looking better and better and provided they don't pull similar bullshit before the iPhone 5 launches at least I'll be able to keep unlimited 3G data.

Knoxcore

I'm with AT&T but this plan does not save me money one bit. With AT&T I have a plan that is tailored to my needs. Verizon's new plan has not flexibility and forces people into services they have no need for.

Under this plan, I'll pay $40 + $40 + $60 = $140 before taxes.

On AT&T I pay $106.49 before taxes with corporate discounts applied. Not worth it for me. I'm afraid AT&T will go down the same route, which is a shame because I want shared data plans. This plan is a kick in the face for individuals while it rewards high use, high multiple line users.

ecurbj

Not sure what I might do. I have an Verizon iPhone 4 with grandfathered unlimited data back when the Blackberry Storm was released. Then I got the iPhone 4 and had this since last May. I'm on a one year contract and I'm due for an upgrade August 24th.

I'm either going to buy a Verizon iPhone 4S off eBay and keep my unlimited 3G data and wait to see what other plans Verizon might develop next year or upgrade to the new iPhone this October (if I like the design) and forfeit my unlimited 3G data for a tiered LTE plan.

I want to go to AT&T because I fear if I drop out of LTE coverge I can still rely on AT&T's HSPA+ 3.5G network instead of Verizon's slow EVDO 3G network.

MrMephistoX

I'm with AT&T but this plan does not save me money one bit. With AT&T I have a plan that is tailored to my needs. Verizon's new plan has not flexibility and forces people into services they have no need for.

Under this plan, I'll pay $40 + $40 + $60 = $140 before taxes.

On AT&T I pay $106.49 before taxes with corporate discounts applied. Not worth it for me. I'm afraid AT&T will go down the same route, which is a shame because I want shared data plans. This plan is a kick in the face for individuals while it rewards high use, high multiple line users.

Yeah if anyone thinks that the US telecom oligopoly doesn't collude on pricing they're kidding themselves. It seems like there's be money to be made in offering lower prices and serving the customer better than one's competitors but when the FCC determines the winners and losers I guess it's just more profitable to screw everyone over.

Setreal

I have an iphone but just out of curiosity, does this mean a basic (non-smartphone) phone plan with unlimited text and talk is $30 or would it be $80 even though it's not a smartphone?

I read the title as "Verizon to introduce "Shave Everything" plan". Needless to say I was thoroughly disappointed when I opened the thread.

Alchemy

God these are horrible plans. I still have slightly over a year on my unlimited data plan and my Bionic, dumping Verizon as soon as I plan to upgrade after that. If I can't find any suitable unlimited data plans I'll just fucking use a dumb phone again or drop phones all together and use my Bionic as a WiFi Skype machine. Fuck this shit.

It's stupid that they are marketing all these phones that can do so much, while at the same time saying we have less data to use with them. Cannot wait for my Verizon contract to expire.

Same here, I'm fucking bailing at the end, this is getting absurd and crooked. It's disgusting.

Edit: Wow, I must have been reading the chart completely wrong. This may save me some money as well. I don't know what to think now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I still wonder what would happen if some lines on a current family plan are grandfathered into unlimited and some are not.

100% false. Until the 28th you can go to 4g and keep unlimited. After that you can keepit add long add you don't assign a new contact

Wait so question.

If I preorder the S3, I am officially good, correct? Or does the new plan not start until I activate my phone, therefore I am not good?

MrMephistoX

Same here, I'm fucking bailing at the end, this is getting absurd and crooked. It's disgusting.

Edit: Wow, I must have been reading the chart completely wrong. This may save me some money as well. I don't know what to think now.

Given the fact that my wife and I make ah lot of international calls the voice parts great but 1 GB of data for $50 is rigoddamndiculous. Switching to Sprint if I can't carry over to a 4G upgrade on the iPhone 5 even unsubsidized.

Aselith

Can I add 4G if I don't have a 4G device currently? Got an upgrade in July so it's probably worth it to add it now and get unlimited and grandfathered in.

DasRaven

Weird, my immediate reaction to this announcement was "what a ripoff."

Then tonight when I got home I analyzed my last 6 months of data usage and it turns out I'm going to save money on this new plan when we upgrade to iPhone5's.

Current: 2 iPhone 4's w/ unlimited 3G = ~$165/mo (after corp discount and fees) I bought a 5GB month of iPad LTE data for our recent trip to Hawaii and we enjoyed that.

Under the Share Everything plan, I can get all 3 devices connected to a shared 4GB for $160 before discounts/fees.
So, even in the worst possible case, I'll break even on costs. In the best case, I'll save $20+/mo and be able to take my iPad out of the house more.

The prices are definitely what they should be rationally, but for once I'm in the sweet spot.

Syckx

I get the impression that people think Verizon's current plans are going away. They aren't. If a 700 minute plan works for you, you can still pick that plan and a tiered data plan. Unlimited has been gone for a year to new customers. The only shit thing about this is not being able to retain unlimited, but I'll just upgrade my kids' lines and switch the device to my line afterwards.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hmm lemme see if this'll be better for me...

Currently paying ~$220/month for:

• Two smartphones

• 700 shared minutes

• Unlimited shared texts

• 4 GB data for first phone, 2 GB data for second

Under this, I'd pay $160/month for:

• Two smartphones

• Unlimited shared minutes

• Unlimited shared texts

• 6 GB of shared data

Wow. I'd shave 1/3rd off my bill and have more (unlimited) minutes. This is a winner deal for me and I presume anyone managing their family's plan. I'm a bit apprehensive of shared data, but with this costing so less I'd probably just up it to 10 GB.

rozay

Banned
I get the impression that people think Verizon's current plans are going away. They aren't. If a 700 minute plan works for you, you can still pick that plan and a tiered data plan. Unlimited has been gone for a year to new customers. The only shit thing about this is not being able to retain unlimited, but I'll just upgrade my kids' lines and switch the device to my line afterwards.
I was under the impression that they are just getting rid of individual data plans althogether and going with this system. Is that not the case?
what the hell people, why such high data uses? dont you ever use wifi?
dont you ever use the internet outside your house, school or a coffee shop?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is it possible for Chromebooks to be added to these? I don't know if those allow you to add onto an existing Verizon account or you have to sign up for a new plan every time. If you could just add one on easily, for $20, I would definitely go for a 3G Chromebook every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom