• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon to introduce "Share Everything" plan 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

pax217

Current monthly bill with 4 GB data (2GB per device): $150 AFTER TAXES (2 iPhones)

Monthly bill under new plan with less data allowances (1GB shared): $180 BEFORE TAXES (2 iPhones)

FUCK YOU VERIZON!

I think I'm in the same boat with two Androids... ugh.

Someone seriously needs to break this monopoly

Government granted... Blame the Keynesians, my friend. (Actually, I believe it was Colin Powell's son; but nevertheless, the Keynesians allowed it)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Sarye

This is not any cheaper than the current model. Infact, if you have a feature phone, it's worse.

Originally for family plans you add $10 for each line and another $30 for data if it's a smartphone. Now you add $30 if it's a feature and an additional $10 if it's a smartphone.

But on TOP of that now you have to increase the shared data too so realistically you have to add on an additional $10 for each line.

How is this good for consumers? That's right. It isn't. Thanks Verizon.

I noticed if you have a 4G phone you get 4Gb as opposed to 2Gb on 3G. Guess they're not doing that anymore

W1SSY

Is everyone ignoring that in the very first reply where I lay out my scenario where this plan is cheaper and better for me?

This isn't crazy for everyone at all.

Your case is unique because you have two separate plans on AT&T and Verizon. I could be wrong but you would probably save money just by consolidating to one service and getting a family plan. For most people this plan is not going to save money.

maliedoo

verizon,
shared plan
2 androids
700 minutes, unlimited txt
4GB data each phone
$135 after employee discounts.

RubxQub

Your case is unique because you have two separate plans on AT&T and Verizon. I could be wrong but you would probably save money just by consolidating to one service and getting a family plan. For most people this plan is not going to save money.
It looks like if I wanted to do a family plan now, it'd be:

$70 for 700 shared minutes
$10 for the second line
$30 for unlimited messaging
$50 for 5GB of data
$50 for 5GB of data for my iPad (separate)

Grand total of $210 vs. $190...and the $190 gets me more minutes (who gives) but more flexibility with my data.

Still better.

Probably worse if you're an existing customer (but no one's forcing you to switch to these), but good for someone like me coming into the carrier.

ari

Banned
yea, i'm going to join this plan with my family plan.

whats the one time charges if i join this?

maliedoo

This will cost you 140 after disc

2 phones
Unlimited voice and text
8 gb plan

kind of the same thing, i have 4gb on each phone, plenty for me, and i only use about 100-200 minutes of talk max per month, no need for unlimited. :) still it might work if you plan to go that route.

Angry Fork

I'm scared of these huge phone companies, I just use boost mobile with ZTE. 60$ unlimited phone/text, 2.5gb internet. Good android phone, good service (for me at least in NYC), no contract or bill trickery and the bill goes down every 6 months.

kind of the same thing, i have 4gb on each phone, plenty for me, and i only use about 100-200 minutes of talk max per month, no need for unlimited. :) still it might work if you plan to go that route.

Soon it will be cheaper to buy an unlocked smartphone for 599 and use prepaid

Like everywhere elsearound the world

I was waiting for a plan like this. But the issue is that my upgrade is available about 10 months before my wife. I was wanting to wait and upgrade my iPhone 4 when her upgrade time came so we both could jump to a new shared plan. I need to look at the bill and see if this is cheaper or not for us. And maybe if they will let her migrate over to teh shared plan with me if I upgrade sooner.

Epic Drop

Large cell phone companies in the US are just screwing customers with these prices.

I don't understand why heavy data users don't use no-contract service, such as what is offered through Smart Talk or T-mobile. I'm floored at what some of you guys pay every month... how could anyone pay $100 or more per month for a cell phone plan? I pay $30 per month for 100 min (all I usually need, and additional minutes are only 10c per min, so if I need more, I put in a few extra bucks), unlimited texting, and unlimited data (5gb at 4g). And since these are GSM services, you can use whatever GSM based phones you want, unlike Virgin's plans.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is terrible.

There are 5 of us now, with 5 smartphones. Is the data cap shared between all of us? So we would pay $300 for 10GB shared?

We pay $270 now for unlimited for three of us and 1-2GB for two of us and 2000 minutes and unlimited texts. And we use 100 or so minutes.

I guess I need to get a new smartphone before the deadline so i can keep my unlimited data.

I guess that's why they are shipping the GS3 after this deadline, to force people into the new tiers.

I wonder how they will treat families where one person wants to upgrade after the deadline. Force everyone into this?

So if I have the old unlimited data + minutes and I'm paying $90ish now, I'd be losing if I let myself switch, right?

Edit: Does this apply to EVERYONE, or just plans with multiple devices?

Double Edit: Is June 28th when they end the grandfathered in subsidized stuff?

WowBaby

That's a horrible plan. It would raise my bill by over 50%. I hope AT&T has something better to offer. With three iPhones and a regular phone my bill would be too large.

AndyD

aka andydumi
2.2% savings overall.

A drop in a bucket.

Right now it covers all services for the primary line, so it covers the main plan, the unlimited texts and data for line 1. So it saves quite a bit. But under the new plan I wonder if it will cover just line 1, or line 1 plus data, because then it would be significant.

clav

Right now it covers all services for the primary line, so it covers the main plan, the unlimited texts and data for line 1. So it saves quite a bit. But under the new plan I wonder if it will cover just line 1, or line 1 plus data, because then it would be significant.

You could pay at least $250/month for the cheapest plan (1GB shared) to at most $300/month (10GB shared).

This total is before taxes/fees.

venne

Sucks they threw unlimited voice on there.

They must see the writing on the walls that voice is dying and are try to keep that goldmine open by whatever means necessary.

@Meier, RubxQub, Epix, et al.

Only slept three hours last night and was thinking the monthly allowance was not shared. I retract my "FUCK YOU". Still slightly more expensive than my current plan, so it does nothing for me. :(

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The main issue is that data is much more expensive than it used to be. $30 for 2gig versus $60 for 2gig. The whole point of sharing data was hopefully it would bring prices down for people who wanted to share only a small amount of data, lowering the barrier of entry, but with this setup you would save a measly $10 for two phones and lose 3gig of data.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You could pay at least $250/month for the cheapest plan (1GB shared) to at most $300/month (10GB shared).

This total is before taxes/fees.

Yep. We pay 270 now after all taxes and discounts. So I don't see this as a winning proposition in any way, unless the discount is 20% across the board on the bill.

I just used their data analyzer and we used a total of 5GB or less every month for the past 6 months between all five of us combined. So we could go with a 6-8 GB shared plan. I wonder if you go over, if they auto bump you a level, or if they have per kB/mB overage charges.

It's stupid that they are marketing all these phones that can do so much, while at the same time saying we have less data to use with them. Cannot wait for my Verizon contract to expire.

clav

Large cell phone companies in the US are just screwing customers with these prices.

I don't understand why heavy data users don't use no-contract service, such as what is offered through Smart Talk or T-mobile. I'm floored at what some of you guys pay every month... how could anyone pay $100 or more per month for a cell phone plan? I pay $30 per month for 100 min (all I usually need, and additional minutes are only 10c per min, so if I need more, I put in a few extra bucks), unlimited texting, and unlimited data (5gb at 4g). And since these are GSM services, you can use whatever GSM based phones you want, unlike Virgin's plans.

The irony is that the telcos don't want to be regulated like utilities yet charge customers like utilities do through metering.

Lkr

I'm on a sprint family plan that is $200 a month before taxes for unlimited data, texts and 1600 minutes. I think I'll stay with that despite slower data speeds. I had hope for these share plans but the way they're implementing them is awful

linkboy

I think the biggest reason why was because the prepaid plans had crap for phones. Now that the iPhone is starting to come to prepaid plans, you might see people switch to it.

suaveric

I'm generally curious, what are you guys doing with your phones that blows 2 GB a week? Do you constantly stream Netflix or something?

RubxQub

I think the biggest reason why was because the prepaid plans had crap for phones. Now that the iPhone is starting to come to prepaid plans, you might see people switch to it.

Prepaid makes little sense for me. You pay way more for the phone, and the overall price of the phone/service only turns positive after months and months (to offset the high cost of entry)...and the data plans have extremely limited coverage area and only support up to something like 3GB max before you get kneecapped.

That's hardly an awesome alternative to someone who uses a lot of data or travels around the country frequently.

linkboy

I'm generally curious, what are you guys doing with your phones that blows 2 GB a week? Do you constantly stream Netflix or something?

Before we got our ESPN radio station back, I would use my phone and TuneInRadio to listen to ESPN radio in my car.

Now that we have ESPN back, I don't use it as much.

Whats this about them making it hard to upgrade if you're grandfathered in? If what they say is true and they aren't forcing anyone over to it, then what's different about upgrading a device now?

Verizon's 'Share Everything' plans intentionally miss the mark

And the inclusion of unlimited voice and text gives Verizon the justification that it needs to charge an additional fee for each device that you add. If we were sharing a data bucket alone — which is what most of the shared data advocates have asked for — it would be harder to justify a significant per-device fee, since you're not getting any additional gigabytes for each additional tablet, modem, or phone. Instead, Verizon charges up to a whopping $40 extra if you add a smartphone. And let's spell out just what a lackluster deal that is: if you have a 1GB Share Everything plan, you're paying $40 for unlimited minutes and text and a single gigabyte of data shared across multiple devices. That's about what you'd expect to pay for a standalone plan with the same specs on many value carriers.

An-Det

I stream music from home via audiogalaxy. It racks up quickly given 8+ hours a day working/commuting. I imagine the same would go for any user of Pandora/similar.

linkboy

Whats this about them making it hard to upgrade if you're grandfathered in? If what they say is true and they aren't forcing anyone over to it, then what's different about upgrading a device now?

If you get a subsidized phone from Verizon for your upgrade, they're going to force you to a tiered data plan.

You'll lose your unlimited data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom