• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon to introduce "Share Everything" plan 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bigger rip the more phones you have if you don't actually need the minutes. They basically force you to unlimited minutes even if nobody really uses them. Ditto with texting. They are bundling it all together to force a higher entry fee.

It can work out fine for some people. Actually seems the same if not slightly better for 2 phones. 1 phone seems slightly more, and 3+ phones seems more expensive the more phones you add if you don't really need all the minutes.

Interested to see what Att counter with or if it's the same.

If you get a subsidized phone from Verizon for your upgrade, they're going to force you to a tiered data plan.

You'll lose your unlimited data.
Damn, is this new with this plan they're rolling out, or have they already been doing this? I upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus when they came out with no issue.

It's fucking stupid. Why wouldn't I just walk next door to Sprint and get my unlimited data plan AND a subsidized phone?

What are carriers going to do when phones become almost purely VOIP devices and there's no need to run on the legacy voice/text networks at all?

The price of data is going to skyrocket!

Yep, you answered your own question. Something has got to give.

Epic Drop

Prepaid makes little sense for me. You pay way more for the phone, and the overall price of the phone/service only turns positive after months and months (to offset the high cost of entry)...and the data plans have extremely limited coverage area and only support up to something like 3GB max before you get kneecapped.

That's hardly an awesome alternative to someone who uses a lot of data or travels around the country frequently.

For people that travel constantly or absolutely need the new $600 phone (or an Iphone), you might be right that prepaid wouldn't make sense. For people who can live with a 1 year old phone and that don't travel extensively, I'd have to believe that at least one of the prepaid services would be acceptable - and would save them TONS of money.

For example, my price of entry was a $200 used xperia play. I made up that cost of entry in about 3 months compared to a contract carrier plan, and now it's smooth sailing and money saving until I get the urge to upgrade.

I think most people here would agree that the telecoms need to be turned in to a utility though.

venne

Yep, you answered your own question. Something has got to give.

I could see a big rush to prepaid in the near future. There are tons of smartphones in the wild that are 'good enough' for most users. Get a cheap used phone and pay $30 - $40 on T-Mobile or some other carrier for a hand full of minutes with unlimited text and data.

I'd venture to say that sooner or later, economics are going to crash the subsidized model. It just doesn't make sense to spend so much anymore.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What are carriers going to do when phones become almost purely VOIP devices and there's no need to run on the legacy voice/text networks at all?

The price of data is going to skyrocket!
Well take a look how much cheaper your verizon bill would be if you want 100 minutes and no text under this plan. They already know which way the wind is blowing.

womp

verizon,
shared plan
2 androids
700 minutes, unlimited txt
4GB data each phone
$135 after employee discounts.

This is me as well, although I have no texting plan and pay $125 after taxes and employee discounts - Google Voice works for me. heh

I need to get my wife upgraded by June 28th to a 4G phone, otherwise I am good with my Galaxy Nexus for the foreseeable future. She has been pissed at her Droid 3 lately and her line has an upgrade. Gotta keep that unlimited!

My America's Choice plan is like eight years old now. :D

Awesome. My cost will drop because of this. All i need to know is how much overages are just in case i dont plan this out right. Last month i only used 400mb. Im on wifi at home and at work. so thats leaves about 2 hours a day i might be using data, but npr has my back and gets good signal in my car.

poppabk

For people that travel constantly or absolutely need the new $600 phone (or an Iphone), you might be right that prepaid wouldn't make sense. For people who can live with a 1 year old phone and that don't travel extensively, I'd have to believe that at least one of the prepaid services would be acceptable - and would save them TONS of money.

For example, my price of entry was a $200 used xperia play. I made up that cost of entry in about 3 months compared to a contract carrier plan, and now it's smooth sailing and money saving until I get the urge to upgrade.

I think most people here would agree that the telecoms need to be turned in to a utility though.
Or people who need phone service. We use about 1500 minutes a month on two phones - offset by free minutes to 10 numbers. Most prepaid would cost a fortune for that use.

Wilsongt

How about a cheaper plan for those of us on non-smart phones, Verizon? >:T Gotta love paying $65 for unlimited texts, no data, and 450 mins a month.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What sucks even worse is that their 3G is highly congested.

Free hotspot functionality might win me over

Well on pretty much any smartphone you can already get free hotspot functionality. You shouldn't feel bad about it either, since you're still drawing from your data plan and I don't even think the telco's have bothered trying to make up an excuse for why they charge for it.

I'm on my parents' family plan with my two sisters.

We'd be paying $160/month right off the bat just to have phones. I have a plan for 4GB of data on my smartphone for $30/month because I picked up one of Verizon's newer phones a few months back, so unless we're paying more than $230/month right now, I can't see how this is a benefit to us.

And I don't think we are.

MrMephistoX

The way I read the announcement it sounds like you can only keep unlimited data through an upgrade if you pay the full unsubsidized price for a phone. I'm on a Verizon iPhone 4 and my wife has unlimited data on her Thunderbolt 4G. Too bad Apple won't release the iPhone 5 before the deadline.

Mudkips

Banned
I pay $15 per month for 200 texts and unlimited (yes, truly unlimited) data on AT&T.
I will never change my contract.

linkboy

The way I read the announcement it sounds like you can only keep unlimited data through an upgrade if you pay the full unsubsidized price for a phone. I'm on a Verizon iPhone 4 and my wife has unlimited data on her Thunderbolt 4G. Too bad Apple won't release the iPhone 5 before the deadline.

That's basically it.

I'm not sure if you can still get around it by buying a used phone or not.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Yep. The drawback is that everyone in the family plan will have to buy at full price.

Verizon employee. Customer feedback will be SO MUCH FUN.

The timing is especially great.

Wondering why verizon is getting the Galaxy 3 three weeks later than everyone else?

Its to force people upgrading off their unlimited plans.

Worst part is that people have sincerely been calling in asking for some kind of family data plan every single day.....but the pricing for this plan means it screws over large families that have been asking for it.

The pricing for the basic phones are especially insulting.

Very, VERY few people currently have unlimtied talk family plans because the pricing is such a ripoff.

f0nz0

Wait, so what if you already have a Verizon family plan and just want to upgrade 1 phone? I have a 5 line plan right now, 4 of them are on unlimited data and one is a feature phone..i was planning on upgrading my ancient fascinate for the gs3 in july..if I just upgrade my line are they gonna force me to switch up my whole plan and pay more?!

sangreal

Very, VERY few people currently have unlimtied talk family plans because the pricing is such a ripoff.

I seem to remember an article recently talking about this being the main driver for the changes -- getting people to buy into unlimited talk and text plans since voice and text usage is tanking.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wait, so what if you already have a Verizon family plan and just want to upgrade 1 phone? I have a 5 line plan right now, 4 of them are on unlimited data and one is a feature phone..i was planning on upgrading my ancient fascinate for the gs3 in july..if I just upgrade my line are they gonna force me to switch up my whole plan and pay more?!

I called and was told yes. All they can do in the future is change phones (if you buy one used/full price) but no changes to the plan whatsoever (hence no contracts for subsidized phones). So you can't add lines or features. Just remove. And he wasn't even sure on remove.

I seem to remember an article recently talking about this being the main driver for the changes -- getting people to buy into unlimited talk and text plans since voice and text usage is tanking.

Thats the thing, most customers come in saying "I dont want 700 minutes, please save me money, all 5 of us use a total of 200 a month"

And Verizon replies by saying

"sure, lets put you all on unlimited!"?

Major fail. If the 550 plan was able to be usedwith unlimited texting, thats what most people would be on.

I called and was told yes. All they can do in the future is change phones (if you buy one used/full price) but no changes to the plan whatsoever (hence no contracts for subsidized phones). So you can't add lines or features. Just remove. And he wasn't even sure on remove.

Dont trust anything any employee tells you this week.

Most employees learn about these changes the same as you - on the news.

Nothing is announced internally early, and the official training docs take a week + to arrive.

Managers wont know anything more than the employees. They get the same details sent out to the press, and have to interpret it the same way the press must

This part blows my mind

Verizon's limited-calling and texting plans will disappear, except for one $40-per-month plan intended for "dumb" phones. Verizon is keeping its limited-data plans for single non-phone devices, like the $30 tablet plan.

This wont go down well.

....and apaprently the per GB overage rate is being hiked up by 50% according to the WSJ

Vanillalite

This is actually EXACTLY the reason. They basically are trying to force people into top tier in terms of voice and texting. Problem is companies like Verizon don't care that they are being obvious. They hold the keys and couldn't give more of a fuck.

poppabk

I would suggest waiting it out. I am still in my alltel plan from years ago, and was told back then that I couldn't get a new phone without changing to a verizon plan. I now have two smart phones from verizon on that plan.

Are there general impressions on T-Mobile in terms of quality of service? Really considering switching to the $30/mo. Prepaid plan, especially since my Verizon contract just ended.

I'd assume I'd need a brand new phone since Verizon is CDMA, correct?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dont trust anything any employee tells you this week.

Most employees learn about these changes the same as you - on the news.

Nothing is announced internally early, and the official training docs take a week + to arrive.

I sure hope so. I want us to keep what we have. The three of us with upgrades available now have nothing to really upgrade to as Verizon is delaying the various new devices til after the switch.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Holy shit. Just yesterday, I learned they added a $30 "upgrade fee" for renewing after 2 years. Then, I find out about mandatory data plans for all smart phones. (I've only had a cell phone for 2 years, and it isn't a smart phone.)

NOW, this. How do people put up with this shit?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Are there general impressions on T-Mobile in terms of quality of service? Really considering switching to the $30/mo. Prepaid plan, especially since my Verizon contract just ended.

I'd assume I'd need a brand new phone since Verizon is CDMA, correct?

Just like any other carrier, quality varies from location to location, individual to individual.

But yes, you'd need a new phone

MrMephistoX

Hmmmm...

I am able to upgrade to an iPhone 4S now, but I wanted to wait and see what the iPhone 5 looks like. Hmmmmm...

I'm seriously debating this myself, I could probably sell the 4S when the 5 comes out for $400 unlocked so it would almost cover the unsubsidized cost...probably not my iPhone 4 though.

Fuck it if I have to jump through that many hoops I'd rather give the money to Sprint.

I sure hope so. I want us to keep what we have. The three of us with upgrades available now have nothing to really upgrade to as Verizon is delaying the various new devices til after the switch.

Seriously, let me explain the timeline.

-9am - News hits every major website
-9:30am - Customers start calling
Employee "nothing has been announced"
Cust: "ITS ON EVERY NEWS WEBSITE YOU IDIOT, ARE YOU RETARDED"
Employee *Checks internal email, nothing. Checks internal news website. Nothing. Checks with manager. Nothing. Tries to check CNN, Blocked.
Employee "Sorry sir, we dont have any information...."

-10am: Manager checks CNN on phone, as its blocked on computers. Oh shit guys, its real. This is what you tell them (quotes cnn)

Noon - Internal email goes out linking to press release with few details. Employees must interpret press release based on their own ability to understand corporate speak. The basics are there, but the finer details? Obviously not.

NEXT DAY
-Infographics given to employees. Still light on details.

5-12 days later
-Training session is held. Most details revealed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Seriously, let me explain the timeline.

-9am - News hits every major website
-9:30am - Customers start calling
Employee "nothing has been announced"
Cust: "ITS ON EVERY NEWS WEBSITE YOU IDIOT, ARE YOU RETARDED"
Employee *Checks internal email, nothing. Checks internal news website. Nothing. Checks with manager. Nothing. Tries to check CNN, Blocked.
Employee "Sorry sir, we dont have any information...."

-10am: Manager checks CNN on phone, as its blocked on computers. Oh shit guys, its real. This is what you tell them (quotes cnn)

Noon - Internal email goes out linking to press release with few details. Employees must interpret press release based on their own ability to understand corporate speak. The basics are there, but the finer details? Obviously not.

NEXT DAY
-Infographics given to employees. Still light on details.

5-12 days later
-Training session is held. Most details revealed.

Haha. I used to work at Circuit City and this is exactly the way it worked. Still, it sucks being on this end of it.

Do you have any insights or details?

Vanillalite

Could this be the 1st big Verizon fuck up in a while? I know people have hated on AT&T for their previous fuck ups, and actually a lot of people that wanted to still be on a major carrier went to Verizon. Could this be the 1st time Verizon fucks up in a while too? Where will people go now? Sprint and/or T-Mobile? I don't see people going back to AT&T. Maybe more people just end up going prepaid.

venne

Could this be the 1st big Verizon fuck up in a while? I know people have hated on AT&T for their previous fuck ups, and actually a lot of people that wanted to still be on a major carrier went to Verizon. Could this be the 1st time Verizon fucks up in a while too? Where will people go now? Sprint and/or T-Mobile? I don't see people going back to AT&T. Maybe more people just end up going prepaid.

AT&T will probably just copy it in a couple days.

Prepaid will be the big winner, imo.

An-Det

I can still pay full price (no subsidiaries) on my next iPhone and keep my current contract, right?

That's is my understanding, but dont quote me on it. I've been considering upgrading from my Droid X this summer if something comes along that blows my mind, and from what I understand I'll have to do full price to maintain my contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom