• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon to introduce "Share Everything" plan 6/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckx

I was under the impression that they are just getting rid of individual data plans althogether and going with this system. Is that not the case?

Nope. From my understanding this is an optional plan to go along with the others and is in not compulsory. Though it is obviously designed to get data device penetration up, and move people off unlimited. Verizon would kill itself removing the voice only plans and bolt on features. There is still a healthy user base that has no want for data service, though it's shrinking.

Syckx

But can a single user sign up for the same individual plans with data after June 28th or do they have to pick their data plan from these shared ones?

Yes. Come the 28th, you have the option of say a $90 unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of data plan (new plan), or a $70 450 min, no text, 2GB plan. Or a $40 450 min basic plan,.

Cipherr

Nope. From my understanding this is an optional plan to go along with the others and is in not compulsory. Though it is obviously designed to get data device penetration up, and move people off unlimited. Verizon would kill itself removing the voice only plans and bolt on features. There is still a healthy user base that has no want for data service, though it's shrinking.

Everything I had heard says this replaces individual data plans man. You have any links that say otherwise? That would be the only shred of good news to come from this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's really strange how little tablets cost to add, Verizon must really want to get new tablet users to sign up for it instead of competitors.

Honestly I'd price it based on which is likely to use more data:

$30 - Notebooks/Jetpacks
$20 - Tablets
$10 - Smartphones

The vast majority of my data use is due to tethering.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Weird, my immediate reaction to this announcement was "what a ripoff."

Then tonight when I got home I analyzed my last 6 months of data usage and it turns out I'm going to save money on this new plan when we upgrade to iPhone5's.

Current: 2 iPhone 4's w/ unlimited 3G = ~$165/mo (after corp discount and fees) I bought a 5GB month of iPad LTE data for our recent trip to Hawaii and we enjoyed that.

Under the Share Everything plan, I can get all 3 devices connected to a shared 4GB for $160 before discounts/fees.
So, even in the worst possible case, I'll break even on costs. In the best case, I'll save $20+/mo and be able to take my iPad out of the house more.

The prices are definitely what they should be rationally, but for once I'm in the sweet spot.

of course, the biggest downside is that your new LTE Iphone will suck bandwidth faster, as more mobile sites/apps get richer and pull more, so you'll likely see your data usage go up with the next gen phone.

so as long as 4GB still works for you, then yes.

Syckx

Everything I had heard says this replaces individual data plans man. You have any links that say otherwise? That would be the only shred of good news to come from this.

Actually, you may be right. Pretty sure I misread the press release. So instead of a $39.99 450 min plan, you get a $40 700 min plan on basic phones. Interesting. I'm saving money on it, so I'm okay with it.

rozay

Banned
ftxz7.jpg

fuck, so if you want data you have to have unlimited talk and text?

edit:1GB data is $90 for a single user, 2GB is $100 a month

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Hmm lemme see if this'll be better for me...

Currently paying ~$220/month for:

• Two smartphones

• 700 shared minutes

• Unlimited shared texts

• 4 GB data for first phone, 2 GB data for second

Under this, I'd pay $160/month for:

• Two smartphones

• Unlimited shared minutes

• Unlimited shared texts

• 6 GB of shared data

Wow. I'd shave 1/3rd off my bill and have more (unlimited) minutes. This is a winner deal for me and I presume anyone managing their family's plan. I'm a bit apprehensive of shared data, but with this costing so less I'd probably just up it to 10 GB.
Can you break down that cost that you're currently paying? It seems really high.

It's not a great deal for every family plan. Mine would be about the same as it is now (minus unlimited data).

greyshark

But can a single user sign up for the same individual plans with data after June 28th or do they have to pick their data plan from these shared ones?

You should be able to keep the exact same data package as well, unless you are buying a subsidized phone. In that case you can't keep unlimited, but you should be able to pick from the old tiered plans ($30 for 2 GB) I believe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Folks that were grandfathered into Unlimited data:

Do everything in your power to upgrade prior to June 28th (date in this thread title). Prior to that date, you can upgrade to a new phone (even a 4G) and maintain your unlimited data unbroken. After that date any upgrade will result in conversion to the tiered data plan.

I just lucked out and got the Droid 4 yesterday and got to keep my plan. The crazy thing is my phone was stolen and I never would have been trying to upgrade this early normally.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
staying my ass grandfathered in for unlimited data for both devices i pay

You and me both. 50 bucks for 1G is too expensive. I hope AT&T doesn't get this type of plan but they probably will and if they do i hope it is before the release the iphone 5 so it would make my decision to switch to sprint much easier.

nateeasy

Banned

Do everything in your power to upgrade prior to June 28th (date in this thread title). Prior to that date, you can upgrade to a new phone (even a 4G) and maintain your unlimited data unbroken. After that date any upgrade will result in conversion to the tiered data plan.

I just lucked out and got the Droid 4 yesterday and got to keep my plan. The crazy thing is my phone was stolen and I never would have been trying to upgrade this early normally.

I got a ReZound a few weeks ago. Still unlimited. YAY!

krae_man

It's really strange how little tablets cost to add, Verizon must really want to get new tablet users to sign up for it instead of competitors.

Honestly I'd price it based on which is likely to use more data:

$30 - Notebooks/Jetpacks
$20 - Tablets
$10 - Smartphones

The vast majority of my data use is due to tethering.

It has nothing to do with the amount of data usage. It has to do with the amount of the hardware subsidy. Tablets=None, Smartphones $400+?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Unfortunately I want the iPhone 5, which means I lose my data. I am not happy. They could have at the very least let people with unlimited keep it through their next phone, then cut them off.

Does anyone know if I preorder the SIII I get upgraded at the time of order, or when the phone ships, therefore I lose unlimited? I should just do with the Nexus if its the later.

mackattk

Hopefully this won't affect prepaid plans too much, as I see this market picking up significantly.

Sent from my 4G LTE phone on Verizon. America's Most Expensive Nationwide 4G Network.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The longer I look at this the more I like it.

I could have 4 smartphones and 6 GB data on Verizon for what I'm paying for 2 smartphones, 2 regular phones, 700 shared minutes and 4 GB of data with AT&T. I'd just have to pay $200 to get out of my last AT&T contract, which would be worth it to me for the upgrade. Not to mention the 12% discount I get through work on Verizon. I could be persuaded to jump.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Does anyone know if I preorder the SIII I get upgraded at the time of order, or when the phone ships, therefore I lose unlimited? I should just do with the Nexus if its the later.
On my pre-order confirmation email, unlimited mail & web are listed for $29.99.

I'm going HAM if they dont honor this.

Samus4145

What if my current unlimited contract ends and I simply do not upgrade. Do I keep the unlimited or am I forced to sign a new contract?

edit: Eligible for a discount on 05/11/13 !

Looks like I will stay on a month to month if I can keep my unlimited.

Redd

Amazed how much some here spend monthly on cell phones. I got 3 phones with unlimited data for around $150 after taxes and discounts a month and still feel its to much. I hardly use the phone minutes at all........they should give me a discount.

The longer I look at this the more I like it.

I could have 4 smartphones and 6 GB data on Verizon for what I'm paying for 2 smartphones, 2 regular phones, 700 shared minutes and 4 GB of data with AT&T. I'd just have to pay $200 to get out of my last AT&T contract, which would be worth it to me for the upgrade. Not to mention the 12% discount I get through work on Verizon. I could be persuaded to jump.

That... doesn't make sense.

4 lines on family plan on Verizon for 700 minutes: $89.99
2 lines with data: $60
Total : $150

New plan with four smartphones with 6GB of data:
4 lines: $160
6GB of data: $80
Total: $240

A $90 difference. Pretty significant.

Has anyone tried Boost Mobile? Unlimited 4G Android data (throttled at 2.5 gigs) plus minutes and texts is $55 a month, plus shrinking payments take it down to $40 after 18 payments.

clav

Has anyone tried Boost Mobile? Unlimited 4G Android data (throttled at 2.5 gigs) plus minutes and texts is $55 a month, plus shrinking payments take it down to $40 after 18 payments.

Boost Mobile is basically Sprint.

Take a look at Virgin Mobile as well.

This new plan will save me money!!

me and the wife both have 4's but do not use much data. We can share a gig save 20 dollars and now have unlimited talk and text.

Sweet!!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can you break down that cost that you're currently paying? It seems really high.

It's not a great deal for every family plan. Mine would be about the same as it is now (minus unlimited data).

Ah you know what, it's probably because I have insurance on both phones.

womp

Take it with a grain of salt since these are level 1 and level 2 Verizon reps involved...

My buddy just called Verizon Wireless to inquire about the Galaxy S III preorder to get his wife upgraded before the June 28th cut off (It comes out early July and supposedly it carries over fine - He got it done) and according to what he was told, the girl says that there is basically 'rioting on the streets' from customers and that in the next couple of days a note is going out from corporate to delay the June 28th date.

As I said...These reps can be hit or miss but I thought it was interesting.

In the meantime, this is happening either way and I am going to get my wife on a either a Nexus or S III ASAP since she has an upgrade on her line.

Violater

At this point I don't think there is a single good option for me to get the GS3, If I stay with sprint it will cost less, but their service is terrible, so I will never get the speeds I am paying for.
Verizon is just simply disgusting in their rates, but arguably has the best network.
What say you Gaf?
Edit shit wrong thread.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The fallout seems to be building and articles are making front pages in all sots of publications, including main media.

I am going to wait and see if they backtrack, and worst case I will preorder GS3s for my wife and I and keep unlimited for a while longer.

I am still wondering what happens if you have mixed people on your plan, on various upgrade schedules and some want to upgrade later.

womp

I just remembered the other part of this that leaves a sour taste in my mouth....

I had forgotten that as of April Verizon tacks on a $30 upgrade fee. Total BS. I found the Nexus over on Amazon for $149 though so that should still bring me under Verizon's price even with that fee. heh

Good news everyone! I can confirm that of you preorder the galaxy before the 28th you're locked in.

Also, the plans range from 350mb to 30gb.

If you're a mobile broadband user, the n SHOCK this is actually good for you as previously 10GB was the highest plan, and it was 10$ for every GB, now that same price buys you two more

Oh and the bad news....when calculating if you save money pay attention to your discounts. Stuff like the ten or twenty bucks off promos will drop off, and corporate discounts will be calculated of a different amount

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Good news everyone! I can confirm that of you preorder the galaxy before the 28th you're locked in.

Also, the plans range from 350mb to 30gb.

If you're a mobile broadband user, the n SHOCK this is actually good for you as previously 10GB was the highest plan, and it was 10$ for every GB, now that same price buys you two more

How much does the 30GB cost, and will they throttle your bandwidth if you attempt to use that much?

How much does the 30GB cost, and will they throttle your bandwidth if you attempt to use that much?
Everything is in ten incriments starting at 30$ until you get to 20GB then if I remember right its a 50$ jump to 30GB and then 15$ per GB after that.

Verizon doesn't throttle

AndyD

aka andydumi

How does it work if some plan members are locked in but not others? As in families with varying upgrade/renewal dates?

Also how is GB overage pricing for lower plans? Do you get auto bumped to the next plan, or huge costs for overages?

How does it work if some plan members are locked in but not others? As in families with varying upgrade/renewal dates?

Also how is GB overage pricing for lower plans? Do you get auto bumped to the next plan, or huge costs for overages?

If one family member switches, then everyone does, unless you set up a sub account is how I understand it.

Overage is always 15 per GB if you don't change it before your cycle, if you've gone over toy can always call before the cycle moves over and adjust to the right level

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, what is a sub account? And 15 per gb is not bad considering it's 10 to bump up to the next tier.

JackEtc

Fuck fuck fuck. I'm on a family plan, and I'm the only line that has a grandfathered unlimited plan. I'm the only line that has an upgrade currently available, and I KNOW I should upgrade before the 28th so I can keep my unlimited plan when I eventually want to move to 4G, BUT I don't want to move off of my iPhone 4S. Is there anything I could do?

Could I maybe upgrade to a 4G android phone now to get the Unlimited 4G plan, then just reactivate the 4S on my line, and give the 4G Android phone to my brother (another phone on the family plan, NOT grandfathered into unlimited), and then I'd be safe for the future?

Any update on this?

I already upgraded to an iPhone 4S to keep my unlimited.

Just to get this straight so I am telling people the correct story, no ifs and or butts, there is no unlimited if you upgrade after the 28th... none, nada, zilch?

Any update on this?

Just to get this straight so I am telling people the correct story, no ifs and or butts, there is no unlimited if you upgrade after the 28th... none, nada, zilch?

If you keep the 4s forever you get to keep unlimited. If you ever go to LTE you lose it even if you buy an LTE phone at full price. You have to upgrade to an LTE phone before the 28th if you want unlimited LTE.

rozay

Banned
Any update on this?

So far, yes. If enough people raise a stink they might delay it.

You are aware that you will not be able to use LTE on a future iPhone if you keep the 4S, right?

eastmen

Banned
For those on sprint thinking about jumping. Remember Network vision is underway

FIRST ROUND MARKETS (14):
First round markets have no preceding markets before them. NV OEM's will mobilize in these markets and begin deployment. These markets will deploy slowly as there is a significant learning curve to Network Vision. Most first round markets started between December 2011 and March 2012.•Atlanta/Athens*
...Sites Complete = 15%; Anticipated Launch = June 2012; Anticipated Completion = December 2012

•San Antonio*
...Sites Complete = 14%; Anticipated Launch = June 2012; Anticipated Completion = October 2012

•Houston*
...Sites Complete = 9%; Anticipated Launch = July 2012; Anticipated Completion = February 2013

•DFW* (Dallas/Ft. Worth) Link
...Sites Complete = 7%; Anticipated Launch = July 2012; Anticipated Completion = November 2012

•Kansas City*
...Sites Complete = 6%; Anticipated Launch = July 2012; Anticipated Completion = December 2012

•Baltimore*
...Sites Complete = 12%; Anticipated Launch = July 2012; Anticipated Completion = December 2012

•Austin
...Sites Complete = 5%; Anticipated Launch = August 2012; Anticipated Completion = November 2012

•Chicago Link

•San FranciscoLink

•Boston Link

•Washington, D.C. Link

•New York City/Westchester Link

•LA Metro (Los Angeles) Link

•Central Jersey Link
SECOND ROUND MARKETS (27):
There is a lot of variability of when Second Round markets start, between June/July 2012 and January 2013. Some preliminary work is being done in advance in these Second Markets as well. Stay tuned to S4GRU.com for updates.•South Bay (San Jose) Link

•West Washington (Seattle) Link

•West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Lansing) Link

•Oregon/SW Washington (Portland) Link

•Charlotte Link

•Nashville Link

•New Orleans Link

•Philadelphia Metro Link

•Southern Connecticut Link

•PR/VI (Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands) Link

•San Diego Link

•Northern Jersey Link

•Orange County, California Link

•Raleigh/Durham Link

•OrlandoLink

•Miami/West PalmLink

•Riverside/San Bernardino Link

•Indianapolis Link

•East Michigan (Detroit) Link

•Norfolk (Hampton Roads) Link

•Long Island Link

•Tampa Link

•Jacksonville Link

•Memphis Link

•Minnesota Link

•South West Florida Link

•Ft. Wayne/South Bend Link
POSSIBLE NEW ADDITIONS (6):
Sprint 4G Rollout Updates is monitoring these markets for possible schedule advancements where they may move up into the Second Round of Network Vision.

Markets where schedule may be advancing (6):•Phoenix Link

•Tucson/Yuma Link

•Milwaukee Link

•Cleveland Link

•Missouri Link

•Oklahoma Link

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/

So they for example list North Jersey as a round 2 deployment that starts in June/july through January. If you look at the map the majority of Nothern Jersey is covered

gallery_1_5_88513.jpg

I think now is the wrong time to be jumping off sprint , all their towers are getting huge upgrades over the next year to two years

Antd0403

Neo Member
I just called and they said if I pre-order S3 before the 28th I can keep unlimited.. I then said "are you sure" and he said yes.

The rep I talked to said I can not keep my unlimited plan if I switch to the Samsung galaxy s3 because the contract goes into effect when the phone ships, which is after June 28th....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom