• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

Cranzor

jhbeya7TYUhS2.gif

Developed by Mossmouth.
Releases on July 4 for 1200msp.
20 achievements worth 400 points total.
Only available on Xbox Live Arcade.

j7UFU5V7ljP2r.png
What is Spelunky?
jRrSUC8OrxH8U.jpg

Spelunky is a platformer with lots of monsters, items, traps, and secrets.

jboy82uDeWvqzM.jpg

Dying in Spelunky can be quick and painful.

ibbU5vUUyLPe4k.gif

But each time you restart, you'll play a new, randomly-generated set of levels! There's a lot of freedom to how you want
to navigate the levels, which are fully destructible. And even though they're randomized, you will still get more skilled
over time!

jvbXDCh95nadw.jpg

You can pick up and use or toss practically everything you come across (to your own detriment, if you're not careful!)

jba4XcRJP1mrDG.jpg

You'll also be able to play Spelunky with friends in local multiplayer! There's co-op and deathmatch.

jbkeLjQERHPGcr.jpg

With multiple players interacting, co-op becomes a much different game. It's easy to help or hurt each other, so
socialization is important!

jEHRBgbynClYa.jpg

Deathmatch has been likened to a platformer version of "Bomberman" by testers, although it's much faster-paced, with
more (and more varied) items and weapons at your disposal. There will be AI bots for those that want to deathmatch
alone. For players that are competitive but don't always feel like killing other players, Spelunky will feature leaderboards
for highscoring and speedrunning.

If you play enough, not only will you get good enough to beat the game, but you may start to unravel some of its deepest secrets...

j7UFU5V7ljP2r.png
Media

Box art

jzejHMhvDjcr8.jpg

Trailers

Screenshots (click to enlarge)

Further Reading

The Full Spelunky on Spelunky - A blog post by Derek Yu that talks about how the idea of Spelunky was formed, the design of
Spelunky, and the XBLA version.

'Spelunky': The everlasting platformer (The Verge/Polygon) - If you're looking to read about Spelunky in depth, definitely check
out this article. It has tons of info and art regarding Spelunky all the way back from its inception to now. Derek Yu is also
interviewed throughout.

Don't be fooled by Spelunky XBLA's quiet launch (Gamasutra) - Derek Yu discusses why he isn't nervous about the public's expectations for Spelunky and what his goal was during development.

Quick Look: Spelunky (Giant Bomb) - Okay, it's not an article. It's a video. But it's too good not to include! If you want to see gameplay of Spelunky with good commentary, check this video out.

j7UFU5V7ljP2r.png
DLC

Two pieces of DLC have been released. Each are 160 points (2 dollars).

Explorers DLC:

i0HiCBOBABVf7.png

8 adventurous new souls have entered the caves seeking excitement and treasure! The Explorers DLC adds the Eskimo, the Robot, the Viking, the Round Girl, the Round Boy, the Cyclops, the Ninja, and the Golden Monk to Spelunky's lovable cast. These characters can be selected in both Adventure Mode and Deathmatch Mode.

Arenas DLC:

ibucDGj30UMOr0.png

Can't get enough of Spelunky's fast-paced Deathmatch Mode? The Arenas DLC reveals 24 new arenas to battle your friends in! These chaotic death traps offer up all kinds of devious ways to kill or be killed, from sacrificial altars to perilous bee hives. Will anyone survive?

Thanks to SAB CA for posting this info in the thread.

j7UFU5V7ljP2r.png
Original Spelunky

jY8MbmMKqGio6.png

The original Spelunky is a freeware game for the PC. Although the XBLA version will have way more features than the original,
the original is still fully featured and has gamepad support. It is one of my favorite games of all time and has infinite replayabillity.
Derek Yu has stated that once Spelunky for XBLA is released, he will revisit the original and release bug fixes and improvements.
If you need something to tide you over until Spelunky for XBLA releases, definitely check it out!

To download the original Spelunky, go here!

j7UFU5V7ljP2r.png
Happy Spelunky-ing!
jCYSnGo4nVHaG.png

For the info in this thread and more, go to spelunkyworld.com.

Nice OT. I've been hearing about this game for a while on GAF and from others I can't remember, maybe Ray Barnholdt? Looking forward to finally checking it out.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yup, nice OT! Almost suprised Warm Machine didn't do it, as he's been posting in the info thread regularly for so long:)

You might want to include info about the Achievements and Avatar Awards in the opening too, since that info is available.

Looking forward to this, it'll be like an early start to Summer of Arcade!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This game looks good, but man, the name really turns me off.

clockpunk

From having not heard of this yesterday morning, I now have msp ready and waiting - every bit of media I see/read heightens my anticipation.

I love it when a (potential) gem sneaks up on you unawares!

Xander51

I remember when this was announced like 8000 years ago. Glad it's finally coming out, can't wait to try it!

Cranzor

Random Levels? How does this game compare to La Mulana?
I've never heard of that game until now but it looks really good. La Mulana (from what I can tell from the trailer, I may be wrong) looks like more of a traditional horizontal platformer where you progress through levels until you beat it. The goal in Spelunky is to move to the bottom of the level and go through a door to advance to the next level. Unless you're speedrunning, you're probably not going to immediately go for the door. You can pick up items and money on the way. The goal once you beat the game is to beat it again. It's meant to be replayed. If you aren't sure if you'll like the XBLA version, I recommend downloading the original for free on the PC.
Co Op is the exact same as the single player game, yes?
Yep, you play through the levels you would normally play by yourself but with your buddies instead. There is also a deathmatch mode. The multiplayer is local only though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This game looks good, but man, the name really turns me off.

I like it myself. It's simple, just like an old game like Pacman or Dig Dug.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Glad to help :) Last Suggestion, might want to link to the the Polygon / The Verge Article on the game too, as it really is a nice in depth read for the game.

Loved the PC version. Is the "remake" XBLA exclusive?

From pcgamer.com, back in 2011:

“There’s a very good chance we’ll see the HD edition of Spelunky on PC at some point.”

“;)” Yu added.

I can't play this because I don't have an Xbox, but I've recently become addicted to the original again. It's one of my favorite games of all time and I've never beaten it.

Cranzor

So... anyone here beat the PC version? Not counting
the City of Gold
I've beaten it once but I was using shortcuts. I have tons of plays but never did finish it without shortcuts. I've made it to the final boss without using shortcuts maybe 10 times but I never beat it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not sure I actually care for the randomized levels in the mines that I've come across. None of them are really fun IMO, it's just a randomized mess that isn't fun to navigate.

I've beaten it once but I was using shortcuts. I have tons of plays but never did finish it without shortcuts. I've made it to the final boss without using shortcuts maybe 10 times but I never beat it.

I find it easier without shortcuts. More chance of collecting neat stuff.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Beaten Game?: Haha, not at all. I wanna DIG IN on the console, and have been avoiding the PC release, but finally caved for a few plays once the release date for XBLA was announced.

Got to the 2nd world a few times, but have had enough fun just exploring the various designs the game would throw at me, and trying some crazy things.

Tomat: See, I found the stages rather well designed for random stuff, and pretty fun. They give you the safety net of bombs and ropes (incase something goes wrong), but I've never been throw anything that was impossible.

I like the amoung of "landmark" style stuff that pops up in the randomness. Sometimes a collection of snakes in their own grove, other times, a left-right-left bitfall. Nothing ever felt incredibly cheap or poorly-constructed, and it's nice to find a sacrifice monument or an innocent lady to save (Or BOTH at the same time... heh), even in the early maps.

The items add a lot to the game, too. Things like the wall-climb gloves and cape took me by surprise.

The regular controls might be simple, but they felt refined. I've played many an indie were I can't stand the gravity, or never get that "intuitive" feel from making jumps, but everything clicked in Spelunky. It's overall simplicity is one of it's greatest strengths, I think. Just like NES games, you'll be learning more about the game and world right off the bat, rather than trying to memorize 8 buttons worth of controls + complex directions.

I'm so tempted to pick up an Xbox to play this, Fez, and Trials. I already have a PC & PS3. Is it worth it?

I'd say surely. XBLA gaming is some of the best stuff this gen.

Cranzor

I find it easier without shortcuts. More chance of collecting neat stuff.
If you use the shortcut to the last area and pick up a scepter, it's not too hard. I made it to the end without shortcuts with a jetpack and a scepter once and somehow managed to get myself killed.

npm0925 said:
I'm so tempted to pick up an Xbox to play this, Fez, and Trials. I already have a PC & PS3. Is it worth it?
Spelunky looks like it's going to be fantastic. If you like the PC version then you will definitely like the 360 version. Fez is my favorite game this year so far. Be prepared to have your life sucked away after starting it though. I haven't played Trials but I haven't heard anything but good things. I'd say it's worth it.

Zia

Yes. I would've purchased a 360 to play Fez on. Also, Rez HD and Pac-Man: CE (I think the CE mode is far superior to anything in DX) are great exclusives and two my all-time favorites.

Daigoro

a Roguelike Platformer. the coolest game genre ever? i think yes. a stroke of genius to come up with something like this.

i am so ready to play the shit out of this game.

lingiii

Banned
Looks hot. Given how many zillions of hours I've dropped on Binding of Isaac, I'm thinking this rogue-like thing may be just what my summer needs.

This is one of my favorite games of the modern indie era (maybe of all time).
Derek Yu made something really special with Spelunky.

Great OT, Cranzor!

"Rogue-like platformer? So is there any persistence like a character level or items or things you do to the environment?"

Rogue-like is used very liberally here. Mostly applicable to the "spirit" of the game. You have a single life, no restarting from checkpoints or anything like that, you die, you begin from the start all over again. Lots of ways to die very quickly, and lots of freedom to experiment and find interesting ways to interact with creatures (both enemies and not-enemies) or the environment.

"Rogue-like platformer? So is there any persistence like a character level or items or things you do to the environment?"

Rogue-like is used very liberally here. Mostly applicable to the "spirit" of the game. You have a single life, no restarting from checkpoints or anything like that, you die, you begin from the start all over again. Lots of ways to die very quickly, and lots of freedom to experiment and find interesting ways to interact with creatures (both enemies and not-enemies) or the environment.

So no persistence at all? That's fine, I know people have been raving about this game for a long time and it looks cool. I think it'll be interesting to play local with friends, mine like old-school platformers and challenges.

Daigoro

you say roguelike is used very liberally but then you go on to describe the game in terms that practically define roguelike for me.

the things i love about roguelikes are: permadeath, high difficulty (until you are very comfortable with the game world and rules), and randomized levels. this game has all that, but its a platformer, not an RPG style game.

from the article posted in the OP:

"Every time you die, you learn something new. Examples: Oh, I guess I can't jump that far. Oh, I guess that frog explodes when you jump on him. Oh, I guess stealing items from a store is not such a good idea when the store owner is carrying a shotgun.

Like the original Rogue, the maps may be randomized, but the objects in them act the same way every time. It's that experience you've earned from your past 50 deaths that makes you better each time you play."

yeah, this is a hybrid of a game. its not an RPG, its going to take some manual dexterity like any good platformer, but it pretty damn roguelike. you dont gain experience points for your character, but you do get equipment that buffs you up a bit, and the most important part is that you gain knowledge. as the person playing the game, you gain experience about how to approach the game and master it. the essence of a roguelike.

"So no persistence at all? That's fine, I know people have been raving about this game for a long time and it looks cool. I think it'll be interesting to play local with friends, mine like old-school platformers and challenges."

You do collect/use items and those stick around in a playthrough, that's about it.

Otacon

This might be the best OT I've seen yet. Good work, Cranzor!
Especially like the "What is Spelunky?" part.
Can't wait to finally play the game. Never played the PC version. Hope it's as amazing as everyone has been saying since the XBLA version got announced years ago.

Zia

I fell asleep at the keyboard last night playing the new Pyro update in TF2, and had a dream that, like last year when MS leaked some of the Summer of Arcade games early and I was able to buy and download From Dust a week early, I think, they leaked Spelunky out and I downloaded it and it was nice.

I'm such a nerd.

beanman25

Reallllllly excited to play this version. I've been following this since it was first announced. I've heard great things about this XBLA version.

Top Bottom