• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louisiana school forces students to take pregnancy tests, kicks out those who test +

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Louisiana school is dealing with the state’s high rates of teen pregnancy by taking an “out of sight, out of mind” approach. No pregnant students are welcome at Delhi Charter School in Delhi, Louisiana — a policy that the institution enforces by requiring students who are “suspected” of being pregnant to submit to a mandatory pregnancy test.
If students are pregnant, they are no longer allowed to attend classes on the school’s campus and will be forced to either switch to another school or begin a home school program. If a student refuses to take the test, she is “treated as a pregnant student” and also kicked out of Delhi Charter School, according to the student handbook:

If an administrator or teacher suspects a student is pregnant, a parent conference will be held. The school reserves the right to require any female student to take a pregnancy test to confirm whether or not the suspected student is in fact pregnant. The school further reserves the right to refer the suspected student to a physician of its choice. If the test indicates that the student is pregnant, the student will not be permitted to attend classes on the campus of Delhi Charter School.

If a student is determined to be pregnant and wishes to continue to attend Delhi Charter School, the student will be required to pursue a course of home study that will be provided by the school…Any student who is suspected of being pregnant and who refuses to submit to a pregnancy test shall be treated as a pregnant student and will be offered home study opportunities. If home study opportunities are not acceptable, the student will be counseled to seek other educational opportunities.

The American Civil Liberties Union points out that Dehli Charter School’s discriminatory policy for pregnant students is “in blatant violation of federal law and the U.S. Constitution.” On Monday, the ACLU of Louisiana and the ACLU Women’s Rights Project sent a letter to the school asking it to suspend its policy, on the grounds that New Delhi Charter School’s unfair treatment of its pregnant students violates the following laws:

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, for excluding students from educational programs based on sex.

The Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution, for treating female students differently than their male peers, as well as stereotyping “suspected” pregnant studies on the basis of their gender.
The Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment that recognizes the right to procreate as well as the right to decide whether to terminate a pregnancy, for targeting students in a way that appears to stigmatize pregnancy.

Aside from its unconstitutional premise, the charter school’s policy toward pregnant students is also furthering a serious education gap between teen mothers and the young women who do not have unplanned pregnancies. Thirty percent of all teen girls who drop out of high school cite pregnancy as the main reason. And a full 70 percent of teenage girls who give birth end up leaving school — although if New Delhi Charter School had its way, that statistic might be closer to 100 percent.

Link

Are you shitting me right now? Yeah, great idea. Hey you messed up? Too fucking bad, GTFO.

Fuck these assholes.

Also um the last thing we need is for young parents to lack an education. Surely we should be trying to get them to be less stupid if they're going to raise a child.

States rights in action.

Not state's rights, charter school. This is why people shouldn't let charter schools replace public schools.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Louisiana is just a horrible place to educate young minds. I think it's just one of those places where if you're intelligent, you have to home school your children or just move to another state.

Not state's rights, charter school. This is why people shouldn't let charter schools replace public schools.

Good point and well taken.

Edit: But they receive public money, so this is them taking tax dollars, trying to rig the system in their favor and then...what? Make more money?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Don't let me down first reply, GAF.. don't let me down don't let me down don't let me down don't let me down...

Louisiana schools kicking out the only people who can pass a test.
louie-sama61j38.gif

Good point and well taken.

Edit: But they receive public money, so this is them taking tax dollars, trying to rig the system in their favor and then...what? Make more money?

This is people making agendas in schools that would not pass a stink test in a public school but are otherwise able to do it because charter schools don't have to follow certain guidelines set out by the state.

In Louisiana (or at least New Orleans), their public schools aren't going to be any better.

And yet I don't see such blatant discriminatory practices. Again this is why charter schools are bullshit, this wouldn't even come up as an issue in a public school. The administration would be fired.

heyf00L

Hi, guy who was raised in Louisiana public schools here. This charter school has nothing to do with our public schools.

You can't call Louisiana stupid if you're going to say stupid stuff in this thread. Thanks.

Wow. Yeah, it's hard for me to fathom how a group of policy makers could sit around and conclude that shaming pregnant women is the best course of action in dealing with this problem, but here we are.

Wow. Yeah, it's hard for me to fathom how a group of policy makers could sit around and conclude that shaming pregnant women is the best course of action in dealing with this problem, but here we are.

Heh . . . they want to bring back the 40's and 50's (except the tax rates of course!). So this is a throw-back to the days of when girls suddenly disappeared and when to live with their aunt.

This is people making agendas in schools that would not pass a stink test in a public school but are otherwise able to do it because charter schools don't have to follow certain guidelines set out by the state.

Do I sound elite when I say that I'm proud that my kids will attend public school in a good district where I pay good taxes that pay good teachers good salaries? Because WTF at this "policy."

Do I sound elite when I say that I'm proud that my kids will attend public school in a good district where I pay good taxes that pay good teachers good salaries? Because WTF at this "policy."

Well, I'd be safe no matter what. My son certainly won't be getting kicked out of school for getting pregnant.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Hi, guy who was raised in Louisiana public schools here. This charter school has nothing to do with our public schools.

You can't call Louisiana stupid if you're going to say stupid stuff in this thread. Thanks.
I'll say that a lot of folks outside of the states in which charter schools are common have no idea how the seperation of charter school governance and state/ISD governance work, and a lot of people confuse them with the "magnet" concept, when they often have nothing to do with each other. I understand it because we have them here in Texas,.

No, that's the way it's generally supposed to work everywhere but thanks to bureaucracy, corrupt school officials, teacher's unions protecting even the shit ones and republicans/Bush, schools are worse off than ever.

No, that's the way it's generally supposed to work everywhere but thanks to bureaucracy, corrupt school officials, teacher's unions protecting even the shit ones and republicans/Bush, schools are worse off than ever.

Oh, I know. I'm married to a teacher that sees the ins and outs of most all of the shit that's taken place. Administration, politics and people in a state/national capital that are completely out of touch.

I've yet to see something like a lunch and learn between administrations and educators to actually find out what's going on in schools. It's all analytics and standardized testing, and it's broken.

heyf00L

I'll say that a lot of folks outside of the states in which charter schools are common have no idea how the seperation of charter school governance and state/ISD governance work, and a lot of people confuse them with the "magnet" concept, when they often have nothing to do with each other. I understand it because we have them here in Texas,.

Thanks. Charter schools are like private schools, but they are free and open to the public, but usually have more kids wanting to get in than they can take. From what I know they'll do a lottery to let kids in. But the catch is in order to keep government money they have to perform well, so the need to keep their money and having a large pool of kids can lead to policies like this that are meant to kick out poor performers (which I haven't looked up, but I'm guessing high school moms don't usually do well in school).

If only the "pursue a course of home study" part meant having a parenting course on how to manage studies and home duties for a possible single teenage mother.

Hey huys dont bash all la charter schools. i would be in much worse position if i had gone to a public school here. they are miserable

Volimar

Oh no, I'm pregnant, but I don't want to be kicked out of this school? What will I do?

This policy is going to lead to bad things...

marrec

Banned
Oh no, I'm pregnant, but I don't want to be kicked out of this school? What will I do?

This policy is going to lead to bad things...

Like increases in poverty and illiteracy rates?

And to think people are violently against religion in our nation, when shit like this is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom