• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off Duty Police Officer Hits 4 Year Old Girl w/ Motorcycle, Shoots and Kills Father..

Status
Not open for further replies.
His fiance is my GF's friend, she told me about it yesterday... their daughter is in the hospital in critical condition last I heard. I think I shot in the air would have been enough to get people off him, either way it's manslaughter.

This is all very sad, but there is some dissonance between the claims that this guy was an amazing father and the fact that his first instinct was to assault the officer who just bailed from the bike rather than attend to the physical injuries of his child.

edit: also this, from the article...

The 4-year-old girl was taken to Loyola hospital for observation with bruises and contusions, Camden and Shapiro said. Camden said the officer's decision to bail from the bike prevented a head-on collision.

...suggests the girl is not in critical condition. That's incorrect.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
"He was a father trying to protect his daughter. He was never a violent person."

Then don't start a gang bang on a cop. The whole thing was an accident, the girl ran into the street, they should not have all jumped on the cyclist and starting beating him, have some brains.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
3 LEGGED FIRE BREATHING GERMAN COSMONAUT EATS RAW POTATO IN FRONT OF CHILDREN

Its my sister's uncle I hope they give him the chair.

Red

Proof of what? You can't just shoot someone because you're in a fist fight, off duty cop or not.
Eh, there is a difference between a fist fight and being pummeled by a group of people.

Anyway all we have to go off of is news stories.

Honestly, from the description, I can understand finding your child slammed by the bike of a guy and starting to beat the shit out of him, cop or not:
As the officer tried to help, her 26-year-old dad, Christopher Middleton, came out of a nearby restaurant.
Officials said he was visibly angry and shouting. After the officer identified himself as a cop, Middleton punched him in the face and continued to pummel him after he fell to the ground.
Passley allegedly joined in by kicking the officer.
That doesn't make him right or anything, there's nothing right about anything here.

NH Apache

Banned
Eh, there is a difference between a fist fight and being pummeled by a group of people.

Anyway all we have to go off of is news stories.

After bailing a motorcycle to avoid hitting your 4 year old that ran in the street while the parents are having dinner at a restaurant.

The officer shot hit in the groin because he claims he was losing consciousness after being hit in the back of the head by the 18 year old and continually pummeled.

If I was the dad I would be more concerned about my child hurting in the street, and calling an ambulance.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
As the officer tried to help, her 26-year-old dad, Christopher Middleton, came out of a nearby restaurant.

Officials said he was visibly angry and shouting. After the officer identified himself as a cop, Middleton punched him in the face and continued to pummel him after he fell to the ground.
Passley allegedly joined in by kicking the officer.

“He was about to lose consciousness to people beating him,” Camden said.
The cop drew his gun and fired once at Middleton. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital later Saturday night, leaving behind a 6-year-old son and an unborn child as well as his daughter.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...er-motorcycle-article-1.1135200#ixzz23SEiTB1M
Why would you do this?

Guy is attempting to help your daughter and you attempt to beat him.

zomaha

Honestly, from the description, I can understand finding your child slammed by the bike of a guy and starting to beat the shit out of him, cop or not

You serious? Unless the guy is deliberately trying to injure the girl by slamming his bike into her, there is absolutely no reason to just attack someone for what's most obviously an accident.

If you feel like your life is endangered yes you can.

That's a poor excuse, I'm sure some people find their life in danger walking down the street at night, that doesn't make it alright to shoot someone crossing by you on the sidewalk. Regardless of all that he could have fired a warning shot instead of instantly shooting his attacker.

Not trying to justify beating someone for what was clearly an accident either, but two wrongs don't make a right, etc etc... Also for the record, I don't know the guy or his family personally, so I can't comment on his mannerisms or temperment, not that it really matters.

If the officer hadn't bailed from the bike, she would have. He saved her life.

Yup. Your child's life is more important than trying to beat up a guy who just bailed from his bike to save her life and is laying on the ground in pain. She ran out in the middle of the fucking road.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
- Off-duty police officer riding motorcycle
- 4 year old child darts into street as they are prone to do
- Rider attempts to swerve, but accident is unavoidable, child is hit
- Child's father becomes violently confrontational with cyclist (despite this being an accident)
- Person identifies himself as a cop, but father says "I don't give a __?__" and punches him in the face like any rational parent would do after their child was involved in an accident (edit: sarcasm)
- Unknown 3rd party attacks officer
- 18-year old cousin also starts to hit the officer
- Officer , fearing loss of consciousness while being violently attacked, removes pistol and fires one shot, killing the father

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
That's a poor excuse, I'm sure some people find their life in danger walking down the street at night, that doesn't make it alright to shoot someone crossing by you on the sidewalk. Regardless of all that he could have fired a warning shot instead of instantly shooting his attacker.

Not trying to justify beating someone for what was clearly an accident either, but two wrongs don't make a right, etc etc... Also for the record, I don't know the guy or his family personally, so I can't comment on his mannerisms or temperment, not that it really matters.

He was fading away and being stomped on the ground. That could have been his version of a warning shot. He was assaulted by at least 3 people, I would say its reasonable to fear for your life there.

Red

These two things are exactly nothing alike.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Link hiding in an it.

Fitting since the article paints this scenario much different than the OP

- Child's father becomes violently confrontational with cyclist (despite this being an accident)
- Person identifies himself as a cop, but father says "I don't give a __?__" and punches him in the face like any rational parent would do after their child was involved in an accident
- Officer , fearing loss of consciousness while being violently attacked, removes pistol and fires one shot, killing the father

This.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

If I'm on the ground and you and someone else are kicking the shit out of me and I'm about to lose consciousness, I'm going to shoot you. Fuck a warning shot. I wouldn't even know if that would stop you. I'm going to make sure.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
- Person identifies himself as a cop, but father says "I don't give a __?__" and punches him in the face like any rational parent would do after their child was involved in an accident

A rational person attends to his daughter, he doesn't mercilessly attack the guy who hit her.

Zabka

If he was being pummeled by multiple people on the ground then intentionally pointing his gun away from them and firing will just lead to getting his gun snatched away.

He was supposedly blacking out. I would shoot whoever was gang beating me if I was in his shoes. Don't say shit like warning shots unless you've been in something like this. Why would you pull a gun in that instance unless its a life or death situation? He's getting his fucking head caved in he's not going to be thinking rationally. It isn't that easy to think rationally under that right after he jumped off of his bike to try to avoid the girl.

From the sound of the thread title I was thinking he ran over the girl then got rid of witnesses or something.... Once I read that the father and others started beating the fuck out of him and he was just defending himself I kinda felt less sorry for the guy.

Sucks about the girl though, but at least she's okay.

Sarye

His fiance is my GF's friend, she told me about it yesterday... their daughter is in the hospital in critical condition last I heard. I think I shot in the air would have been enough to get people off him, either way it's manslaughter.

Sucks that it happened to your gf's friend, but the title is misleading. The girl ran into the street and the officer tried to avoid hitting her. The father, instead of seeing whether his own daughter is okay, ran to beat the officer with people joining in.

If the article is true, then it's self defense, not manslaughter. Also the quote about the father not being a violent man is very ironic given the circumstances.

Honestly, from the description, I can understand finding your child slammed by the bike of a guy and starting to beat the shit out of him, cop or not:
That doesn't make him right or anything, there's nothing right about anything here.

Your first reaction after a traffic accident would be to beat the crap out of the person responsible as opposed to calling 911 for your daughter and/or tending to her injuries?

modulaire

If there story is true the dad was stupid.

Why beat the cop? It was an accident. I understand you are angry but you should take of your daughter lying on the ground and not waste time beating the guy.

KissVibes

Banned
Proof of what? You can't just shoot someone because you're in a fist fight, off duty cop or not.

So he supposed to take a beating from two people due to an accident? Your titles and lack of details paints a picture as if a reckless, off-duty officer who struck a child down and then for no reason shot the father.

What were you expecting, everyone to rush in this thread and scream "fuck the police"? He made a mistake and attempted to ditch the bike hoping the damage done would be lessened. Unfortunately the bike, laying sideways still stuck the child. It was terrible accident. After identifying himself as an officer, the response shouldn't have been to "punch him in the face and continue to pummel him after he fell to the ground." With a second person (the cousin who was tending to the downed child) joining in on the attack.

Maybe if he was acting as a FATHER and kept better track of his child this wouldn't have happened. Maybe if they spent more time getting paramedics and tending to the child everything could have been fine. Now the officer has to live with the guilt and be painted as a villain. Great.

And tell me, if you're on the ground taking a savage beating from two grown men, where exactly in the are are you supposed to shoot?

He was supposedly blacking out. I would shoot whoever was gang beating me if I was in his shoes. Don't say shit like warning shots unless you've been in something like this. Why would you pull a gun in that instance unless its a life or death situation? He's getting his fucking head caved in he's not going to be thinking rationally. It isn't that easy to think rationally under that right after he jumped off of his bike to try to avoid the girl.

We don't need to defend his actions due to the heat of the moment, though. Everything he did here was rational and appropriate. The warning shot suggestion makes absolutely no sense given the situation. This was not a fistfight. This was a guy who had just been involved in an accident through no fault of his own who was then mercilessly beaten by three assailants.

The officer fired only one single shot while being assaulted by at least two people. Hardly unnecessary force as he was losing consciousness and laying on the ground being kicked/punched.

Yes it is a terrible tragedy, but that father handled this entire situation horribly.

He was shot in the groin, which unfortunately can lead to some very nasty bleedings.

But yeah, the girl ran into the street, at 10pm. The dude threw himself of the bike as to avoid a stronger impact, gets up and goes to help the child.
All in all, unfortunate, but the death of the parent could have been avoided by himself, not the other victim.

If the article is true, then it's self defense, not manslaughter. Also the quote about the father not being a violent man is very ironic given the circumstances.

I swear it's like a stock quote that appears in any store about a person being arrested for a violent crime or being killed due to violent behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom