• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off Duty Police Officer Hits 4 Year Old Girl w/ Motorcycle, Shoots and Kills Father..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me OP already has made up his mind about who's in the wrong and all the evidence and rational thinking and explanations won't change it.

It won't. I've actually dealt with this dude at another forum and he's incapable of listening to reason and spouts off nonsense. Best thing to do is just move the fuck on.

Bombadil

Banned
What arteries run through the groin area?

Edit: Femoral artery and Femoral vein. Yup, if these get severed heavy blood loss is imminent.

Don't start to beat up a cop, because they're a cop. It's not just the father that didn't give a fuck, it was the rest of the attackers too. What an absolute mess some places are.

inky

By the way some people here talk about "defending their families from strangers" and "if someone tried to hurt my family he is getting shot" you'd think the reactions would be different. Can understand the rage I guess, though never justify it.

In any case, this is a shitty situation for everyone involved, that sadly ended in yet another dead by gunshot. Feel terrible about the little kid tbh.

Red

Shitty situation, but I think the father decided his own fate here.
I wouldn't go that far. He didn't help things, but it's less a matter of bringing it on himself and more a lapse of judgment. Poor decision, bad situation.

I think the cop actually handled things really well. Got off his bike, risking his life to protect the girl, not fighting back, firing one shot when assaulted by multiple people.

pigeon

Banned
What arteries run through the groin area?

Femoral.

4 YO, out at 10PM while parents were in a restaurant and the 18 YO was holding her hand when she got hit too.

This is all sorts of 'what the fuck'

The article says she ran out into the street, which makes it hard to envision that the 18-year-old was holding her hand. I mean, I'm not saying there's not another side to the story here, but I'm not getting it from the evidence presented.

By the way some people here talk about "defending their families from strangers" and "if someone tried to hurt my family he is getting shot" you'd think the reactions would be different. Can understand the rage I guess, though never justify it.

In any case, this is a shitty situation for everyone involved, that sadly ended in yet another dead by gunshot. Feel terrible about the little kid tbh.

Defending your family from strangers doesn't include the guy who first saved your daughters life by ditching his own bike, and then coming to her aid when doing so gets her hurt.

ElRenoRaven

I'd agree if this was a case of defending his family. The cop did not intentionally go out and try to hurt the girl. He in fact tried to prevent her losing her life. Now had he went out and intentionally tried to run her over I'd be right there with the father wanting him dead. But in this case it was the exact opposite of that judging by evidence presented.

Honestly I don't think their actions are understandable. As mentioned by others I'd be worried about my kid. I'd be there doing everything I could for them and honestly not even worrying about the guy on the bike. You wouldn't be able to get me the hell away from my child. Yet they'd rather beat a guy to at least unconsciousness and probably death if they he hadn't defended himself.

It's hard to me to know what I would do. And a lot of it would depend on how things looked from my perspective. Something like this (the accident itself) can happen so quickly, and be so confusing, that it might be totally unclear what exactly transpired. If it appeared to me that a dude recklessly shot his bike into my daughter (e.g., I didn't see her get in the way of him, I didn't see that he bailed on his bike to avoid her, and so on), and I was able to identify that she was injured but not critically injured, then there is no telling how I might behave. Of course, I really strongly hope that I wouldn't try to beat the shit out of the guy. I hope that I'd have the moral strength to tend to my daughter and leave the guy along. But I have no idea what I would do, and I can't promise to have the strength of character to act appropriately in those circumstances.

inky

Defending your family from strangers doesn't include the guy who first saved your daughters life by ditching his own bike, and then coming to her aid when doing so gets her hurt.

And I'm trying to say that maybe he was not aware of that fact, and that muddled things. It was a lapse of judgement that didn't deserve death imo. But I'm not going to say that it wasn't his fault he was in that position either. It's just a shitty situation to be in for everyone involved.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I can't. There's no excuse for reacting that way.

Depending what he saw yes. And by that I mean he saw and reacted on instinct all pissed off.. It's understandable.

Did he think the guy lost control of the bike? He probably did and then attacked him after he saw his little girl all messed up.. That's what happened here I guess.

It's a messed up situation. The police officer didn't have any fault here if what was said is true.

Cop rides his bike, girl runs across the street somehow while holding on to her cousins hand? Cop jumps off bike and bike hits 4 y/o.. Father saw the last second of it or arrived after the fact and gets enraged at seeing his 4 y/o injured and begins attacking the guy, no chance to communicate and then the cop takes out his weapon after getting jumped.

I'd say this is a pretty different situation...One in inside your own home where it's just you and your family, not strange people you don't know. The other is having an accident happen outside and someone trying to tend to your daughter. It's not like the cop deliberately tried to hit the girl with his bike.

Unless this cop was drunk, speeding, or being a reckless asshole I really don't see what he did wrong.. its an unfortunate situation, but it reads as he did what he could to help and got the shit beaten out of him, causing him to defend himself.

And I'm trying to say that maybe he was not aware of that fact. It was a lapse of judgement that didn't deserve death imo.
But the 18 year old was there, the kid saw exactly what happened because she was hit too. Why the fuck wouldn't that little shit tell the dad and everyone else? And why on earth would she join in on the beat down?

krae_man

The article says she ran out into the street, which makes it hard to envision that the 18-year-old was holding her hand. I mean, I'm not saying there's not another side to the story here, but I'm not getting it from the evidence presented.

Sounds like the 18 year old caught up right before impact and was hit by the bike too.

Unless this cop was drunk, speeding, or being a reckless asshole I really don't see what he did wrong.. its an unfortunate situation, but it reads as he did what he could to help and got the shit beaten out of him, causing him to defend himself.

This. He was being attacked by multiple people. I don't know what else he could do.

inky

But the 18 year old was there, the kid saw exactly what happened because she was hit too. Why the fuck wouldn't that little shit tell the dad and everyone else? And why on earth would she join in on the beat down?

I wish I knew.

I'd say this is a pretty different situation...One in inside your own home where it's just you and your family, not strange people you don't know. The other is having an accident happen outside and someone trying to tend to your daughter. It's not like the cop deliberately tried to hit the girl with his bike.

I understand that, but people saying "there is no justification for the dad to act like that" are missing the point. There is a justification, he had it wrong. That kind of snap is totally understandable, that's what I'm trying to say.

If your girlfriends friends fiance was the police officer, your opinion would be totally different.

The use of force seems reasonable given the circumstances and since it appears as though only one shot was fired and it sounds like the officer tried didn't try to kill him with the shot, just incapacitate him.

"The officer was still pointing the gun towards Middleton, who was on the ground at the time, when Jones said she ran towards him and told him, "Please don’t shoot him no more."

MJLord

This. He was being attacked by multiple people. I don't know what else he could do.

If the cop took a beating from it, why are we pretending that the father if he had a weapon wouldn't have just straight up shot the officer ? I understand his anger but as some people have pointed out you cannot justify it.

"The officer was still pointing the gun towards Middleton, who was on the ground at the time, when Jones said she ran towards him and told him, "Please don’t shoot him no more."

He shot him once to end the beating......... Its not like he irrationally started spraying bullets.

Enzom21

This kind of reminds me of the guy who caught some dude molesting his daughter so he beat him to death.

So I can understand how the father must have felt, but what he did was foolish and now this little girl has to grow up without her father because of it.

ElRenoRaven

It's hard to me to know what I would do. And a lot of it would depend on how things looked from my perspective. Something like this (the accident itself) can happen so quickly, and be so confusing, that it might be totally unclear what exactly transpired. If it appeared to me that a dude recklessly shot his bike into my daughter (e.g., I didn't see her get in the way of him, I didn't see that he bailed on his bike to avoid her, and so on), and I was able to identify that she was injured but not critically injured, then there is no telling how I might behave. Of course, I really strongly hope that I wouldn't try to beat the shit out of the guy. I hope that I'd have the moral strength to tend to my daughter and leave the guy along. But I have no idea what I would do, and I can't promise to have the strength of character to act appropriately in those circumstances.

Maybe it's easier for me because Oh about 3 weeks ago a car pulled out in front of my sister and I on the way to work when driving down old Route 66 at speed limit. Needless to say we survived thank god but I was pretty banged up after it happened and even though I was hurt I had many thoughts race through my head. 1. I wanted to beat the kids ass. 2nd I then thought that maybe before anything happens we should find out why he did what he did. Course it helped that I couldn't get up and beat his ass but still. Turns out he was a 21 year old kid who got confused by the way the lights there worked. One side flashes read while the other flashes orange to be cautious.

So had I followed my first thought and could have followed through I probably would have beaten a poor kid who made a simple mistake. So maybe that's why this is so easy for me to put myself in the fathers place.

Macattk15

Yeah and?

He was pointing the gun at him. He didn't shoot him again. Its not like he aimed for his head for a kill shot. Got shot in the groin and died from bleeding, stinks, sounds like an accident!

Maybe you shouldn't assault a police officer in a group after he states he is one after something happened that he had no control over. The person with control in that situation acted like a moron ..... and ended up like one too.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Here's what I read.

Cop is riding his bike

Girl darts across the street and cousin chases to catch up to her and grab her hand

Cop ditches bike to prevent slamming into them

Bikes tire or part of bike hits baby girl and she goes flying, 18 y/o slightly injured

Screaming heard and father comes out to see what's going on or father catches glipse of accident and thinks cop is at total fault and lost control of bike.

18 y/o doesn't know how to explain shit and lets fathers anger take over and he begins attacking cop

Cop is getting jumped by 3 people and he has to take out his weapon considering that these people are really pissed off seeing their baby family member injured badly and he fears for his life at that point after getting hit in the face/head.

Dad is shot because he wasn't willing to stop and hear any of it.

Messed up situation.. Sometimes things are out of everyone's control to an extent.

One can argue that the cop should have run away completely if he was capable to but that's just hindsight, one doesn't totally know how everything went down. I feel really bad for the young father... This is just a messed up situation.

Here's what I read.

Cop is riding his bike

Girl darts across the street and cousin chases to catch up to her and grab her hand

Cop ditches bike to prevent slamming into them

Bikes tire or part of bike hits baby girl and she goes flying, 18 y/o slightly injured

Screaming heard and father comes out to see what's going on or father catches glipse of accident and thinks cop is at total fault and lost control of bike.

18 y/o doesn't know how to explain shit and lets fathers anger take over and he begins attacking cop

Cop is getting jumped by 3 people and he has to take out his weapon considering that these people are really pissed off seeing their baby family member injured badly and he fears for his life at that point after getting hit in the face/head.

Dad is shot because he wasn't willing to stop and hear any of it.

Messed up situation.. Sometimes things are out of everyone's control to an extent.

Problem with that is the fact that someone that knew exactly what happened did nothing to ease the tension. Instead they joined in on the beating. THAT person should have a very difficult time living with the outcome.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
"Middleton said he "didn't give a (expletive)" and punched the officer in the face, authorities said. Another person hit the officer in the back of the head.

The girl's 18-year-old cousin, who ran into the street after the girl and was holding her hand when she was hit, also kicked the officer while he was on the ground, Shapiro said."

So he got hit twice, fell to the ground, got kicked by a girl, then shoots a guy in the groin... I dunno man, I've been jumped before by more people and managed to not die... even walked away for the whole situation with just a scratch on my head, and I didn't have to kill anyone. Good to know that if I ever feel like the same situation might happen I can just shoot someone and it will be totally justified.

The dude was a cop, and he identified himself as such before getting pummeled by the father and his friends. You don't assault cops, ever, period. Sorry to say but the father sounds like a hothead. His daughter was just run down by a motorcycle and his first reaction is to attack the guy that did it? Not to run to his daughter's side? Really?

Violence is not always the answer nor is it justified...

Maybe it's easier for me because Oh about 3 weeks ago a car pulled out in front of my sister and I on the way to work when driving down old Route 66 at full speed. Needless to say we survived thank god but I was pretty banged up after it happened and even though I was hurt I had many thoughts race through my head. 1. I wanted to beat the kids ass. 2nd I then thought that maybe before anything happens we should find out why he did what he did. Course it helped that I couldn't get up and beat his ass but still. Turns out he was a 21 year old kid who got confused by the way the lights there worked. One side flashes read while the other flashes orange to be cautious.

So had I followed my first thought and could have followed through I probably would have beaten a poor kid who made a simple mistake. So maybe that's why this is so easy for me to put myself in the fathers place.

Yeah. That makes sense.

So much depends, in my opinion, on what the father believed he witnessed. (Of course, regardless of what he witnessed he does not have the moral right to assault an injured cyclist on the street. But, you know, we're not talking about what is permissible, we're talking about whether we can understand and sympathize with him doing something that is impermissible.) If he believed that some loon irresponsibly lost control of his bike and ditched into his kid, it is difficult not to sympathize with his behavior, even while we can (i) identify that it was wrong and (ii) accept that the officer acted permissibly in self-defense.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Problem with that is the fact that someone that knew exactly what happened did nothing to ease the tension. Instead they joined in on the beating. THAT person should have a very difficult time living with the outcome.

Young and immature to an extent and she was probably pissed off too seeing her little baby cousin all screwed up.

I bet she probably thought the cop was at fault too.

And? Them kicking his head in is understandable, him keeping his aim on the guy afterwards is insane? Okay...

Alchemy

So from everything I've read:

1.) Kid runs out into the middle of the street. The 18 year old rushes out to grab the kid suggesting this wasn't a friendly stroll through a crosswalk. Roads and vehicles are fucking dangerous, doubly so at night. Blame needs to be placed for this on the parents or whoever was left in charge of the child.

2.) Cop tries to bail so he doesn't just run her over, causing physical damage to himself and his motorcycle.

3.) Despite any injuries to himself from bailing from his motorcycle, he runs up help the people his motorcycle hit.

4.) Family and friends of the child decide to beat the shit out of the cop.

5.) Cop shoots to defend himself.

The cop sounds completely 100% in the right here. I can see a parent or family member being upset that their child was injured, but the kid is in the middle of the road. Even if you suspect the driver of being a drunk asshole you don't run up and beat the shit out him, especially if that person is trying to help.

The father sounds irresponsible if his first thought was revenge over helping his daughter or even making sure she is ok.

ElRenoRaven

So what? He didn't continue shooting. He did what an officer much less anyone trained to use a gun does. He kept the target in his sights till he could be sure he wasn't a threat anymore. At that point I'd damn well keep my gun pointed at him too because if he were to put it down then what stops someone from grabbing it and shooting him with it? Nothing.

Thread title implies...

1. Cop is riding his bike, sees a little girl and runs her over.
2. Gets off bike, pulls out gun and shoots father for good measure.

Way to really spin this one..

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
One can argue that the cop should have run away completely if he was capable to but that's just hindsight, one doesn't totally know how everything went down. I feel really bad for the young father... This is just a messed up situation.

Instead he was just tending to the wounded child, the thing the father should have done. I find it difficult to find any fault whatsoever with this cop. He did everything right.

1. Sees kid dart in front of him, slides his bike causing greater injury to himself to try to avoid greater injury to child

2. Injured at this point, starts tending to the child

3. Sees angry father coming at him, he wisely identifies himself as police

(this is where it should stop because attacking anyone who identifies as police is fucking stupid)

4. father, unnamed assailant, 18 y/o cousin all assault the cop, he fires one shot to end it

If the father followed the cardinal rule of not attacking a police officer he'd be alive today. Moral of the story should be never attack someone who identifies as a police officer unless you fear bodily harm/death from said officer.

Young and immature to an extent and she was probably pissed off too seeing her little baby cousin all screwed up.

I bet she probably thought the cop was at fault too.

How would they think that if they were involved in the incident? One of the people who saw the cop bail to protect them when the little girl ran out into the street also beat on the police officer knowing full-well it wasn't his fault. That person is an idiot.

KHarvey16

Assuming we've got the whole story it sounds like the cop was completely justified.

Also, a cop who fires warning shots ends up behind a desk where they belong. Irresponsible movie nonsense.

"Shoot his legs!"

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Instead he was just tending to the wounded child, the thing the father should have done. I find it difficult to find any fault whatsoever with this cop. He did everything right.
I'm saying after he started to get attacked, to prevent further escalation.

But I'm not faulting the cop here at all.

What happened here really sucks though..

How would they think that if they were involved in the incident? One of the people who saw the cop bail to protect them when the little girl ran out into the street also beat on the police officer knowing full-well it wasn't his fault. That person is an idiot.

She saw only so much of it, the 18 yo could have assumed that he lost control too. I bet it was all a blur for her.. We weren't there. Who knows what was going through her head.

Some people at that age can be really incompetent unfortunately.

ultron87

The 18 year old cousin is likely a male, just for reference.

The downed bike skidded down the street, slamming into the 4-year-old and her 18-year-old cousin John Passley, who had rushed to help her.

Pollux

I really don't see what your point is with this quote...yea he was pointing his gun at the guy who was just beating the crap out of him and didn't shoot again. what's your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom