• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homestuck game announced on Kickstarter

Valhelm

contribute something
Kickstarter Page

Homestuck is a very popular multimedia webcomic with major fanbases on Tumblr, DeviantArt, and 4Chan. The comic, which began in the Spring of 2009, is a semi-interactive science fiction story known for its large cast of characters, extensive soundtrack, and passionate fandom.

About two hours ago, the author of the comic announced that an "adventure game" by an undisclosed independent studio is in the works. Although nearly nothing is known about the project, and it has only been up since 2:30 pm EST, it has already raised $100,000 via Kickstarter.

According to the page, the game will ship in 2014. If the $700,000 goal is met, the title will be released via Steam, but if the current rate of funding doesn't slow much, it will certainly surpass that. Andrew Hussie, author of Homestuck, writes:

They also take a lot of time. The plan is this. I'll finish Homestuck some time in 2013. In the meantime, there will be a high-level planning phase for the game project. The decisions reached will largely depend on the budget we have to work with: how much money is raised here. When Homestuck is done, that's when our full attention will be on actual development. The game will be scheduled for release in 2014.
If the goal is exceeded, then every extra dollar only helps make the game that much better and more widely accessible. More platforms would be available, such as Mac OSX or mobile systems. There are certain increments in funding (stretch goals we'll reveal later) which allow for different platforms to be added, usually in the ballpark of $100K each. To simplify the situation, look at it this way. Every dollar raised up to a million would be covering the basics of development on a wider range of platforms beyond just Windows. Every dollar after that would be going toward increasing the production values of the game. Reaching such figures may be a lofty goal, but you never know! It doesn't hurt to keep in mind that all pledges beyond $700K will be going toward making a better end product. Every single pledge will have a real impact on making a great game.

A comprehensive description of Homestuck was released by the author, for the uninitiated. Whatever this game will be, it's going to be huge.

Mesoian

I like Homestuck a lot, but the adventure game pauses as the thing I like the least on that site. They're slow, they're pretty annoying, none of them are terribly well put together, and they just seem like another reason for an even longer break in between plot lines.

I got so frustrated with the last one with lanterns.

I'm actually more interested in John Lesnik's lesbian-centric platformer (Princess Panic) than this. I am also fearful that that game is going to turn out to be a piece of shit due to under funding and lack of programming experience.

Valhelm

contribute something
I'm a pretty big Homestuck fan, but I doubt I'll donate anything. I'm guessing the 700 K mark will be reached before Friday.

This is the first time I've heard of this comic or of MS Paint Adventures.

I was waiting for an explanation by the developers of what the game will be like, but that was just a really long trailer (with really cool music). I know it's an adventure game, but I'm out of bank from supporting Broken Sword, Double Fine, and Jane Jensen :p

ITA84

Still catching up with the story. Not sure what to think of a game based on Homestuck; it could turn out alright, but I have doubts about it.

Valhelm

contribute something
This is the first time I've heard of this comic or of MS Paint Adventures.

I was waiting for an explanation by the developers of what the game will be like, but that was just a really long trailer (with really cool music). I know it's an adventure game, but I'm out of bank from supporting Broken Sword, Double Fine, and Jane Jensen :p

Homestuck has an incredible soundtrack that I'd totally advise you to check out. Due to the Bandcamp format, all of the songs can be listened to for free.

Because the music is a collaborative effort, virtually every genre has been somehow represented.

Emitan

Sometimes I think tumblr is okay. Like animalstalkinginallcaps or hatethefuture. Other times I accidentally stumble upon Homestuck or My Little Pony tumblrs.
Whenever I see hentai I assume it's touhou and I'm usually right.

Heard the games are fun though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
One of the most bewildering parts of the internets that just seems like an abyssal chasm of lurid mismatching visual madness. Its community is rabid insanity personified as well from what I hear, consistently referred to as "the absolute worst" which is quite an internet accolade.

Bonus points for the Kickstarter having absolutely no sign of a game design plan, provisional work or anything. One million dollars please internet! And it will respond in kind x2.

Orayn

This thing went from $100,000 to $125,000 in the time it took to have a short Steam conversation about it with a friend.

LQMvV.jpg

Thores

I'm happy for Andrew Hussie and everything, but in August of last year I read the entire archives up to that point, and I still have no idea why Homestuck has as large and as rabid of a fanbase as it does. But it wouldn't be the first critically acclaimed nerd phenomenon to not be my thing, so I guess I shouldn't wrack my head too much trying to figure it out.

Also, people saying it'll reach its goal before Friday are nuts.

It will reach its goal before dawn.

Why the fuck do they need 700000?

That amount of money is insane for a nothing to show yet game.

Is the comic that good? Ive never heard of it. Although I have seen in some pages some of the characters that appear in the video.

Never even heard of it, and I frequent the underbelly of the Internet often.

Then I guess I'll do it: Let Me Tell You About Homestuck

I'm way behind on the comic/series/whatever, but it prides itself on frantic, goofy, sometimes very hard to follow storytelling. Andrew Hussie also has a simultaneously impressive and creepy way of taking early random elements (or some seemingly unimportant), and weaving a massive plotline around them that gets referenced or clarified years later.

It also went from just pretty much him doing the comic, to a massive community collaboration. And the fans are crazy about it.

Whenever I see hentai I assume it's touhou and I'm usually right.

Heard the games are fun though.
That's because like 99% of the characters in Touhou are female and underaged. Compare with Homestuck, where the ideal type of relationship is a foursome without regard to gender or race. Basically, ship everybody.

NewFresh

I guess I will jump in with the rest who have never heard of this nor it's huge fanbase.

edit: Oh, So people like it for the ships.

Necrovex

Homestuck has an incredible soundtrack that I'd totally advise you to check out. Due to the Bandcamp format, all of the songs can be listened to for free.

Because the music is a collaborative effort, virtually every genre has been somehow represented.

Listening to the soundtrack right now, and I really want to go through the source material now. Hot damn!

GooeyHeat

I like it well and good enough. Hussie's wit is certainly not rapier; it's more like a bludgeon. I think it's funny, and I enjoy seeing which way the ridiculous, Kingdom Hearts-like plot goes next. So I backed.

Also the soundtrack is incredible.

Also Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

Orayn

I guess I will jump in with the rest who have never heard of this nor it's huge fanbase.

edit: Oh, So people like it for the the ships.

The (rather obnoxious) Tumblr crowd likes it for the ships, but it's a really cool webcomic in its own right.

Hato-kun

I've read up to Act 3 and unfortunately enjoyed it. Probably gonna catch up soon and then watch Kickstarter. The fandom is going to go fucking bonkers.

Orayn

So it's based on shipping? Is it a dating sim?

It's not really "based on shipping" per se. Homestuck is about as meta and self-referential as webcomics get, to the point where one of its characters had already started shipping the others as they were introduced. There's certainly a crazy crisscrossing relationships among the cast, but the shipping is still mostly left to the fandom.

I've read up to Act 3 and unfortunately enjoyed it. Probably gonna catch up soon and then watch Kickstarter. The fandom is going to go fucking bonkers.

Hoo boy. You're in for a lot of... Stuff.

This will get way more money than it needs. So much money they won't know what to do with it.

$700k already seems a bit to much for a project like this. How many people are working on this project, and what would they need that large of a budget for?

There are far more ambitious game projects on Kickstarter asking for a lot less.

Orayn

$700k already seems a bit to much for a project like this. How many people are working on this project, and what would they need that large of a budget for?

There are far more ambitious game projects on Kickstarter asking for a lot less.

We don't know the actual developer yet, so that has to be taken into account. Some people are saying that it's Double Fine since the planned release date lines up nicely with them finishing DFA and starting on this.

Top Bottom