• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homestuck game announced on Kickstarter

Well, I think they don't have the infrastructure of an existing game studio, so I guess part of the $700,000 goes to acquire stuff and talent that, say double fine already had. Still, I wonder what type of game does he has in mind that he needs $700,000?.

GooeyHeat

neohw.gif

I implore you guys to at least take a look at Homestuck. The first act is pretty slow, but it gets better.

Necrovex

How did the people of Homestuck acquire Yuzo Koshiro to create the music in the KS's video?

I cannot stop thinking of the Ys series while I watch that video.

Hoo boy. You're in for a lot of... Stuff.
I managed to make it Hivebent until the plot got completely incomprehensible. Nowadays I just watch the Flash updates and use the wiki to fill in the blanks.

Saying Homestuck "goes off the rails" an understatement much like saying the surface of the sun is "kind of warm".

I was thinking of donating, but seriously it's going to make that goal in an ungodly amount of time so I'll wait it out for the game to actually be released.

JazzmanZ

I stopped reading Homestuck after the plot got worse and worse after each act.

'hey I know lets introduce more characters all at once, and time travel and alternate dimensions and more confusing callbacks that never resolve anything'

Valhelm

contribute something
Well, I think they don't have the infrastructure of an existing game studio, so I guess part of the $700,000 goes to acquire stuff and talent that, say double fine already had. Still, I wonder what type of game does he has in mind that he needs $700,000?.

The page implies that a studio will be attached. Names being thrown around are Double Fine (!!!) or Telltale. I'm guessing that the game will be a multiplayer open world 2D title (either top-down or side-scrolling) that mirrors the game of Sburb played by most Homestuck characters.

Is it done in ms paint or something? Good god.

Nope. Homestuck is drawn entirely in Photoshop, Flash, and (rarely) html5.

PK Gaming

I WAS JUST GOING TO MAKE A THREAD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I HATE YOU FOREVER.

Just kidding, I was actually kind of nervous hehe. Damn I didn't know Homestuck was so unpopular on gaf. I'd give the webcomic a shot, but be warned the early acts are boring. So this is basically a combination of 2 my favorite things in the world. Video gaming & Homestuck.

I've never heard of Homestuck until 2 minutes ago, but...yeah.

This was amusing, though:

tGLzo.jpg

Haha yeah, I remember seeing that when that macro first popped up. Good times.

Valhelm

contribute something
For those who know the source material; is there any reason why they are offering free shipping to Fiji?

That's a little in-joke. In Homestuck, the character Jade Harley lives on an undescribed atoll in the Pacific ocean, and several times gifts are mailed to her throughout the comic.

So ive read the Know Your Meme page and one of the principal things about it is that is about shipping. And theres nothing more than I hate in a series is when fans ship about the characters, even if theres no correlation in the real plot whatsover (im looking at you MLP and Harry Potter).
I suppose this is a huge hit to all those crazy girls that draw things (mostly sex) on Deviantart?

Also its the real art those small hunchback characters, because the art is horibble. I also dont understand why make the characters 13 year old when you are going to base it mostly in a fanbase that wants to have sex with them or think of sex between those characters.

I hope the story is at least good to have a such a rabid fanbase, but who im lying, there are horrible things already existing with this types of fanbases.

So ive read the Know Your Meme page and one of the principal things about it is that is about shipping. And theres nothing more than I hate in a series is when fans ship about the characters, even if theres no correlation in the real plot whatsover (im looking at you MLP and Harry Potter).
I suppose this is a huge hit to all those crazy girls that draw things (mostly sex) on Deviantart?

Also its the real art those small hunchback characters, because the art is horibble. I also dont understand why make the characters 13 year old when you are going to base it mostly in a fanbase that wants to have sex with them or think of sex between those characters.

I hope the story is at least good to have a such a rabid fanbase, but who im lying, there are horrible things already existing with this types of fanbases.

welcome to the internet

KevinCow

Banned
Oh. MS Paint Adventures. That thing.

They have a bunch of fans with really bad avatars on Something Awful. HERE'S A REALLY OBNOXIOUS FLASHING GIF REFERENCING AN INSIDE JOKE THAT SOUNDS LIKE COMPLETE GIBBERISH IF YOU DON'T GET IT! So I've intentionally never checked it out. Plus the art is really ugly and bad.

Huh, I'm kinda surprised he thinks this is doable in a year. The prospect of translating the homestuck universe into a game is kinda blowing my mind here. It'll be cool to see what comes from all this.

That said he should be making a sweet bro and hella jeff game instead 8^y

I now await the update in which everyone dies.
I too am looking forward to the next update

PK Gaming

I see myself in a lot of the posters in this thread. (my friend forced me to read it)

Ah well, neogaf & homestuck just don't mix. If you're bored out of your mind, then i'd give it a shot. It's popular for a reason lol.

Gagaman

Game kickstarters tend to at least have a very early build or concept video of gameplay to show, but nope 2014 when no one will care anymore.

welcome to the internet

Nah, only discovering one more of the holes the internet has.

I see myself in a lot of the posters in this thread. (my friend forced me to read it)

Ah well, neogaf & homestuck just don't mix. If you're bored out of your mind, then i'd give it a shot. It's popular for a reason lol.

I can give lots of chances to things like this. I gave it to MLP and Harry Potter and well, it worked.
But in those after I read descriptions of them, and informing all about what they were, I was convinced I could take the chance. This, all the things im reading right now, are sounding bad, really bad. As I say, one of the things I most hate of any fandom is shipping.

We don't know the actual developer yet, so that has to be taken into account. Some people are saying that it's Double Fine since the planned release date lines up nicely with them finishing DFA and starting on this.

Oh... well I have never heard of Homestuck before reading this thread. Going a quick Google search I assumed that this would've been another small indie project comprised of a small team of developers. If they want to get Double Fine involved, then I can see for the larger sum of money.

I can give lots of chances to things like this. I gave it to MLP and Harry Potter and well, it worked.
But in those after I read descriptions of them, and informing all about what they were, I was convinced I could take the chance. This, all the things im reading right now, are sounding bad, really bad. As I say, one of the things I most hate of any fandom is shipping.
This also goes for everybody else reading the thread wondering whether or not to get involved with Homestuck: read through Problem Sleuth first. It was Hussie's previous MSPaint adventure, and is pretty much a tamer (and much shorter) version of Homestuck.

Blizzard

Banned
TBH I think only Gravity Falls, Once-Ler, and Sonic surpass Homestuck in terms of fandom creepiness.

I didn't even know Once-Ler had a fandom.
One of my friends is apparently into both Gravity Falls AND Once-Ler. It's like, all in the depths of Tumblr and it is terrifying to contemplate.

I had to look up what Homestuck was after seeing huge numbers of fans at a convention (with no one else knowing what the orange horns were for). I think even after I looked at the website I didn't really understand what it was. Maybe the interactive part is what confuses me?

$165,000 in 3 hours. I've kind of lost interested in HS over the past few months but I'm really tempted by a few of those bonuses. Decisions, decisions.

PK Gaming

Nah, only discovering one more of the holes the internet has.

Agreed, reading a brief description of it basically makes it sound like crap. And the Homestuck fandom is creepy, arguably even more creepy than the MLP fandom... That said, its one of those things you'd have to read to fully understand what makes homestuck special. It's really hard to describe but imagine reading a book that caters to people from our generation. Homestuck makes a million references to pop culture (popular & obscure) and is hilarious when it wants to be.

Backing the suggestion to read Problem Sleuth (it's pretty good).

TBH I think only Gravity Falls, Once-Ler, and Sonic surpass Homestuck in terms of fandom creepiness.

It's hard being a homestuck fan. It's hard, and nobody understands.

Mzo

I don't understand why the fanbase "shipping" should intrude into your enjoyment of the comic itself. I've never looked at anything but the Homestuck main page and have not been subjected to any of that.

Homestuck is ridiculously popular. It helps if you came at it from Problem Sleuth, which was a lot humbler (but still went fucking crazy before it was over). This dude is the king of in-jokes and calling shit back. It's actually a lot of fun and usually cleverly done, but the investment to catch up would be about a couple months' worth of reading webcomics, and I don't know how many people are bad enough dudes to want to do that.

yencid

stopped reading once i got to the trolls. will go back in some day but i actually do like the characters so will help.

FoneBone

It's ridiculous that he's so vague about the game... no developer lined up, and not even talking about the genre. But his fanbase is so rabid that it'll meet the goal easily, no matter what.

dot

There's this girl on my facebook that is obsessed with Homestuck. She'd probably be all over this lol.

I don't really know much about it though, it's kinda weird with all this shipping and stuff.

GooeyHeat

I think even after I looked at the website I didn't really understand what it was. Maybe the interactive part is what confuses me?
Generally what you're going to do is:
-click blue links
-read "pesterlogs" (that's how they communicate)
-watch flash animations
-walk around and talk to people in little flash games (those are rarer)
-There's also a few more unorthodox flash games, like the early "Strife" scenes, or the one that's basically a take-off on Myst.

Hope you like it, but it's 0kay if you don't.

NichM

Banned
It's ridiculous that he's so vague about the game... no developer lined up, and not even talking about the genre. But his fanbase is so rabid that it'll meet the goal easily, no matter what.

It sounds from the writeup on the project page that there is a developer lined up, but for whatever reason they're not saying who it is. (To whoever said it might be Double Fine, though, I doubt it--that would be a major selling point in its own right and they'd be foolish not to say so when raising money.)

Anyway, I <3 Homestuck so I threw in.

Kenai

I like Homestuck even if I needed the wiki to help me understand what was going on several times and don't do anything except read the comics and listen to some of the music tracks on youtube. It's by far the most interactive (in a fun way) webcomic that I have seen, is incredibly random (you have no idea what's going to happen next), and is not above making fun of itself or anyone reading it.

That game could literally be about anything at this point. I am kind of hoping they make the game in a way so that I can get a better grasp of how the Sburb(?) class/planet/quest system works, and maybe more about what the troll kids did during their quests.

I now await the update in which everyone dies.

Funny story about that. Most of the characters in the main cast have died at least once. They come back in one way or another, whether as resurrected Hero class people or as ghosts that mess around just because they can.

Yea, maybe I don't balk at things like the KH plotline so much because of things like Homestuck. The more you read the more your head will spin. And you just might enjoy it too.

Nimajneb

Adventure game, huh? I hope it's not just a point and click. As much as I love adventure games, that would be a terribly unambitious use of the source material. It needs to be adventure + the Sims + RPG + dating sim + MMO.

Kyou

Oh, so this is what will poison the kickstarter well.

"Give me 700k and I'll maybe start making a game in a year that will take a couple years to make. But 3/4 of a million dollars now, pleasure!"

Khezu

Interesting.
Finally MGS will be decrowned in being the most convoluted video game.

Despite its insane fanbase, constant shipping, and just straight weirdness, Homestuck is pretty great. It got a bit less great when they introduced the trolls, buts its still entertaining.

Valhelm

contribute something
Oh. MS Paint Adventures. That thing.

They have a bunch of fans with really bad avatars on Something Awful. HERE'S A REALLY OBNOXIOUS FLASHING GIF REFERENCING AN INSIDE JOKE THAT SOUNDS LIKE COMPLETE GIBBERISH IF YOU DON'T GET IT! So I've intentionally never checked it out. Plus the art is really ugly and bad.

lol

Yep, really ugly and bad.

Also, this excellently-made fanvideo exhibits Homestucks' gradual art evolution.

Khezu

Its a shame the game wasn't the end of homestuck, as in hussie kept updating the comic, but the final encounter and resolution of the story happened in the game.

But I guess having a video game that has a prerequisite of reading a months worth of webcomic is probably not the best financial decision.

Also, this excellently-made fanvideo exhibits Homestucks' gradual art evolution.

I like Homestuck (and MSPA as a whole) but that video pretty much sums up my distaste for a lot of the fandom. The actual content of Homestuck/MSPA is so irreverent and meta that I have a really hard time understanding the worship a lot of fans have for it. Listening to Homestuck fans talk about Homestuck and actually reading Homestuck is incredibly jarring. Some folks take it incredibly seriously, far more seriously than Andrew Hussie does (I don't mean that he doesn't care, I just mean that the tone of the comic and the tone of the fandom are completely different).

Top Bottom