• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homestuck game announced on Kickstarter

KevinCow

Banned
lol

Yep, really ugly and bad.

Also, this excellently-made fanvideo exhibits Homestucks' gradual art evolution.

Thanks for proving my point?

Also like how you cherry-picked the "good" stuff and ignored how the characters usually look like this:

qjFve.png

So like I said. Ugly and bad.

Haunted

I've never heard of this before.

Checked out the comics to see what it's all about and actually laughed out loud at the gun/key joke in Problem Sleuth within the first couple pages. Seems like I need to set some time aside one of these days to read up on this.

Valhelm

contribute something
Thanks for proving my point?

Also like how you cherry-picked the "good" stuff and ignored how the characters usually look like this:

qjFve.png

So like I said. Ugly and bad.

It's actually not. Homestuck is one of the most dynamic webcomics ever written, in terms of tone, pacing, and plot. The story begins to slowly yet noticeably expand as the art becomes quite a bit more refined. (At the end of Act 5, arguably the climax of the comic, the sprite style had all but been abandoned. And the monochromatic style is dropped quite early on.)

Khezu

I've never heard of this before.

Checked out the comics to see what it's all about and actually laughed out loud at Problem Sleuth within the first couple pages. Seems like I need to set some time aside one of these days to read up on this.

Well its hard for me to recommend Homestuck to people as its kind of an insane thing, Problem Sleuth is fantastic, it gets a bet bonkers towards the end as it runs with the concept of RPG power scaling, but it is a really fun read all the way through.

I was laughing at them asking for 700,000$ within a month, but they've made over 250,000$ in less than 24 hours. Quite shocked that they've already broken that mark.

Zekes!

I've tried to read Problem Sleuth and Homestuck on various occasions but I can never seem to get in to them.

Also Tumblr fandoms are fucking dumb and obnoxious

Khezu

I actually kinda wish MSPaint adventures was more popular on neogaf, just so there would be a sensible place to discuss it, trying to talk about it anywhere else on the internet is just not a good idea, the fandom is crazy and I don't want to interact with them, even on /co/.

This Kickstarter is definitely a hard-sell to non-Homestuck fans, but I've liked every generation of 'players' he's introduced so far and, given that this is a Homstuck game, as long as it's an adventure game where you play a group of kids playing Sburb, I'll probably love it.

Given Andrew Hussie's ability to pull crazy detailed plot threads out of the tiniest, least consequential of things, I don't doubt his ability to craft a good Homestuck-style tale even with this game being in the earliest of stages.

I am a little concerned that even Hussie doesn't know who they are going to have make it, and that it came out of the blue like this. But, eh....

As for the comic, it's both under-rated and over-rated. I like it, but the crazy fans can be a real menace to enjoying it.

i hope that about 1/6th of the way in it goes from a charming and clever adventure to completely up its own ass in meta shit and eight trillion characters who are literally rearranged versions of other characters and then you spend 90% of the game reading text boxes of the same callback jokes repeated over and over again

GooeyHeat

i hope that about 1/6th of the way in it goes from a charming and clever adventure to completely up its own ass in meta shit and eight trillion characters who are literally rearranged versions of other characters and then you spend 90% of the game reading text boxes of the same callback jokes repeated over and over again

Wouldn't have it any other way. *wonk*

PK Gaming

I actually kinda wish MSPaint adventures was more popular on neogaf, just so there would be a sensible place to discuss it, trying to talk about it anywhere else on the internet is just not a good idea, the fandom is crazy and I don't want to interact with them, even on /co/.

Haha I hear ya. Their forums are wack and tumblr's a mess (#dead, #serious).

Aside from a few friends and my brother, I don't really have anyone to talk to about homestuc unfortunately. I actually assumed that there was Homestuck community thread on gaf, but there isn't, and likely isn't going to be one forever, so we're kind of stuck.

Which sucks, because i realllllllllllllly wanna talk about the newest flash lol.

I hope we get some totally heartfelt and sad and not at all ridiculous AMVs out of it.

I hope we get some totally heartfelt and sad and not at all ridiculous AMVs out of it.

i hope that there's at least one character in it who is an obvious caricature directly insulting a huge portion of his insane fanbase and the made-fun-of fans in question all rationalize it as not being about them at all

I like the music from the flash pages still I guess

yes I feel out of this over a year ago because it's way too fucking convoluted

Lijik

From what I can tell it's just a collection of several thousand blogs that just showcase erotic fanart of the character.

Dont forget that theres 100 different variants of the character running around. Theres a fucking bird once-ler. Theres so many fan-specific steampunk once-lers that "steam-cest" has become a subvariant of "once-cest"

Once-cest is when the Once-ler fucks another Once-ler

I fucking hate the internet.

Haunted

:(

You're making me not want to read it now.

Damn, at first I was only kidding when I said that this would be fully funded by tomorrow, but at the rate this is going that's probably what's going to happen o_0

Haha I hear ya. Their forums are wack and tumblr's a mess (#dead, #serious).

Aside from a few friends and my brother, I don't really have anyone to talk to about homestuc unfortunately. I actually assumed that there was Homestuck community thread on gaf, but there isn't, and likely isn't going to be one forever, so we're kind of stuck.

Which sucks, because i realllllllllllllly wanna talk about the newest flash lol.

Well, if there isn't a topic on Community and you want to discuss HS on GAF then what's stopping you from making one? Honestly, it's not that bad on Tumblr as long as you interact more with a circle of friends than with the fandom in general and don't mind all the shipping.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This Homestuck thing gives me a super GaiaOnline, Deviantart circa 2005, Invader Zim vibe.

Khezu

:(

You're making me not want to read it now.

That's more about Homestuck, PS is basically fine and has very little of that.

As for homestuck, uh if you want to read it, the first act is pretty slow, but it picks up soon after and becomes really awesome for like 2 acts, then something called "hivebent" happens, and this is where both it loses fans, and also gained a billion others and started become the crazy thing that it was.

If you can make it through hivebent and still like homestuck, then its mostly smooth sailing from there.

PK Gaming

Damn, at first I was only kidding when I said that this would be fully funded by tomorrow, but at the rate this is going that's probably what's going to happen o_0

Well, if there isn't a topic on Community and you want to discuss HS on GAF then what's stopping you from making one? Honestly, it's not that bad on Tumblr as long as you interact more with a circle of friends than with the fandom in general and don't mind all the shipping.

Dude, i'm pretty sure it'll end up getting locked or deleted. IDK.

Anyway... who wants to talk about the newest flash? I've gotta say, this was arguably the best flash hussie put out, even better than the previous one (which I didn't think he'd ever top.) I thought the ancestors would be shitty characters, but I actually kind of like most of them. Even Kankri and his "social-justice" bullshit. My favorite is probably Latula, since her character through me for a loop & she's a rad game girl.

Her theme is too good.

Khezu

There actually is a topic for MSpaint adventures in the OT section.

Its just not very popular. I would post more in it, but I don't want to look like a crazy person talking too myself.

This Homestuck thing gives me a super GaiaOnline, Deviantart circa 2005, Invader Zim vibe.

Hussie's actual art/writing can be really good, especially in Problem Sleuth. The first 15 or so pages (the whole "fake arms" "get cake" thing) of Homestuck are some of my favorite things on the internet. At least I'll always have Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

But yeah, I really have no idea what the die-hard superfans of the series actually see in the actual comic. Like I said before, looking at the fanbase and then looking at the actual material is like... huh?

Oh yeah, I think I remember that topic. Don't think I ever saw it again after the first time.

Dude, i'm pretty sure it'll end up getting locked or deleted. IDK.

Why though?

But yeah, I really have no idea what the die-hard superfans of the series actually see in the actual comic. Like I said before, looking at the fanbase and then looking at the actual material is like... huh?

It's fun. Yeah, some fans go crazy and start over analysing or completely ruining the characters, but isn't that just everything with a large fandom?

Valhelm

contribute something
That's more about Homestuck, PS is basically fine and has very little of that.

As for homestuck, uh if you want to read it, the first act is pretty slow, but it picks up soon after and becomes really awesome for like 2 acts, then something called "hivebent" happens, and this is where both it loses fans, and also gained a billion others and started become the crazy thing that it was.

If you can make it through hivebent and still like homestuck, then its mostly smooth sailing from there.

Hivebent is also where the comic begins to transition from mostly comedic with science fiction elements to a light-hearted science fiction story with some unique characteristics and a lot of jokes.

Gravity Falls over My Little Pony?

The most popular pairing is between a twelve-year-old boy and his twin sister. That should tell you all you need to know.

PK Gaming

Oh yeah, I think I remember that topic. Don't think I ever saw it again after the first time.

Why though?

It's fun. Yeah, some fans go crazy and start over analysing or completely ruining the characters, but isn't that just everything with a large fandom?

Because community threads should only be made for something if it has a thriving community on gaf(?). I'm not sure, but I don't it would be a good idea, we''re better off sticking to an OT thread.

I'll ask some mods though, just to be sure.

Darktalon

This is the best news of all time, only tied with a new Tim Schafer Adventure Game, and a new season of Arrested Devolpment. Consider me down for $25.

lol

Yep, really ugly and bad.

Also, this excellently-made fanvideo exhibits Homestucks' gradual art evolution.

But its that art from him, or is he using art done by the community? Thats what I understand from all the descriptions, but maybe Im wrong, so correct me if I am.
If its not art by him, the real art of the comic is still bad.

Khezu

But its that art from him, or is he using art done by the community? Thats what I understand from all the descriptions, but maybe Im wrong, so correct me if I am.
If its not art by him, the real art of the comic is still bad.

Both, he uses community art sometimes and he makes his own detailed art.

He uses the small ugly kid art most of the time because when the comic is currently updating, he tends to update it like 10 times a day, so the characters have to be as easy to draw as possible. During flashes or action events or anything where the characters doing anything heroic, they go into "hero mode" where basically there drawn with actual detail and look like normal people.

PK Gaming

Hussie has an art team that works for him to draw certain panels / scenes in a flash, but for the most part it's all him.

Hussie art example:

---

Art team art example:

Cascade-John.png

Honestly I don't mind his art. I dig the anti-aliasing personally :p

Khezu

The god tier rewards are amazing by the way.

10,000 - Your fan troll will be canon in homestuck
100,000- Your fan troll will be canon in homestuck, as well as survive the first panel
1,000, 000- Your fan troll will become the most important character in homestuck
10,000,000- Andrew Hussie will "like" one of your posts on tumblr
100,000,000- Andrew Hussie will "reblog" one of your posts on tumblr
1,000,000,000- Andrew Hussie will write a courteous thank you note, and deliver it through the social media platform of your choice.

Not to me. Homestuck has a lot of devoted fans. Most of them are younger, though, so I'm not surprised that there aren't any backers in the ridiculo-tiers yet.

Quite possibly the complete opposite of the Oculus; which only has around 9000 backers but plenty beefy ones. This could raise more than a million quickly, but it will be from a very different demographic. (not to mention that the Oculus' backers are actually much more niche).

The god tier rewards are amazing by the way.

10,000 - Your fan troll will be canon in homestuck
100,000- Your fan troll will be canon in homestuck, as well as survive the first panel
1,000, 000- Your fan troll will become the most important character in homestuck
10,000,000- Andrew Hussie will "like" one of your posts on tumblr
100,000,000- Andrew Hussie will "reblog" one of your posts on tumblr
1,000,000,000- Andrew Hussie will write a courteous thank you note, and deliver it through the social media platform of your choice.
Those first two would actually be pretty nice for 10,000.

Silvawuff

I was at a convention and everyone was bonkers about it. I tried reading it, then I saw it would take weeks , if not months, to catch up. Wasn't happening.

I think Homestuck's culture of artistic expression is second-to-none, though! This will get funded early and above tier, for sure.

Valhelm

contribute something
Hussie has an art team that works for him to draw certain panels / scenes in a flash, but for the most part it's all him.

Yep. Besides the picture of the girl floating in space, though, those panels I posted were all by Andrew Hussie himself.

PK Gaming

1500c4cd41f8dc32b03d64031dcfb1b6_large.jpg

Like, I want these stickers because they're basically the greatest thing ever but I don't want to shell out 5Gs. Hopefully they get released as a standalone thing down the line, because the ensemble pic is so good...

PS:The above pic is why I like homestuck / stick with homestuck. The main characters are cool, but it's the trolls and their interactions that kept me interested in the series for this long. Imagine 12 different distinct characters with their own personalities and quirks. You just can't help loving them, from the Harry Potter inspired royal douchebag that is Eridan Ampora to the downright sociopathic (at least on) Vriska Serket. In fact, I have half a mind to suggest that you start homestuck on act 5 hahaha.

Deadbeat

Banned
You know what we should do? We should post some pictures of sex dolls the fanbase has created. That would definitely brighten the mood.

6IzvR.gif

gurudyne

I was at a convention and everyone was bonkers about it. I tried reading it, then I saw it would take weeks , if not months, to catch up. Wasn't happening.

True. I started sometime last fall and just caught up this past May. Still, give it a chance. I tend to hate extended non-episodic webcomics, but I thought this was worth the time.

Also, would fund this, but Hussie is known for trolling his fanbase even more than Clevinger. I can totally see him pocketing the money, posting about it on his blog with some jokes and going on like nothing had happened.

Shaffield

cool, but I don't really give a shit about MSPA anymore.

if only Andrew would Kickstart a project for some of his good work. I would go in for like 100$ on an And It Don't Stop physical release or a new Whistles.
hell, I'd throw a few bucks at him just to continue BardQuest

I miss TSO and the old MSPA so much :/

Top Bottom