• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge 108 - "..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
wet-longing-and-lost-1.gif

t1350716400z4.png

Ashes

Banned
word count clue:

How many words is a picture worth?

drunk with power, I will disallow entries that fail to fall within word count limits.

no I won't. Pm me if you really desperately can't work it out. It's not a biggie. Idioms don't necessarily cross borders well

Ashes

Banned
Secondary objective clue:

Eh... think. Yeah that's it. Think.

Which technically you can't help but do. But don't be a lazy bum, because that's not what I meant. Think for gawds sake think!

Ashes

Banned
Don't know if I'm going to do this right but I'm going to try anyway.

I do like the hat.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Ashes

Banned
I heard he made his first million and now won't speak for less than a hundred dollars. Or the cat's got his tongue. either way.

On topic:

Normally, I can post normal like:

NeoGAF's Poetry Corner - #57: "Longing"

Go there. Don't go there. Whatever.
subscribe and read what's on offer at the very least. :p

Cyan

Banned
It's cool to have things shaken up like this. Maybe it should be a more regular occurrence, so we don't get into a rut.

Ashes

Banned
It's cool to have things shaken up like this. Maybe it should be a more regular occurrence, so we don't get into a rut.

Now you've done it. Watch this thread wither and die away cyan.

Speaking of withering and dying away, I'm off to see an amateur therapist for being in zane. Before I go, cyan, when's the November thing a ma jig thread starting up?

Cyan

Banned
Now you've done it. Watch this thread wither and die away cyan.

Speaking of withering and dying away, I'm off to see an amateur therapist for being in zane. Before I go, cyan, when's the November thing a ma jig thread starting up?

;)

NaNo thread should go up this weekend.

crow! We did you proud in the last thread, had a nice starts-in-a-tavern fantasy tale. :)

You gonna join us?
I'm elbow deep in a 1600+ page report at work that's due next week. Functioning brain permitting, I will be joining in.

Edit: I also read a story that started in a tavern. Gave me a damn fine laugh.

So good, you might think I might just be making this up as I go along! Neh brother. Look to the gaf logo and what do you read beneath it?

Believe.

;)

Hey crow; hey rontio.
You? Never!

Ashes

Banned
what's that you ask? what inspired me to come up with this theme?

Apart from my ineptness and laziness, it has something a little bit to do with this:

Is imagination more important than knowledge? Einstein

8 November 2002
Kathleen Taylor

@Cyan, I don't actually know what to write for nanowrimo, but where I tried and failed gloriously in attempting to explore the various ways of the written word last year, now I will try and fail miserably, to explore the human imagination. That is of course if we are human, and not on a server somewhere.

Cyan

Banned
@Cyan, I don't actually know what to write for nanowrimo, but where I tried and failed gloriously in attempting to explore the various ways of the written word last year, now I will try and fail miserably, to explore the human imagination. That is of course if we are human, and not on a server somewhere.

I don't exactly yet either, but there's still time! And don't worry, even if we're on a server somewhere we're still totes human. ;)

I maintain that all the best fantasy stories start in taverns, or at least end up in them at some point :p

Lord of the Rings definitely has one or two. QED.

I assume we can post whenever? Is there a specific format that people prefer, or can I just put the text in a post?

edit: durr, I should probably read that FAQ. Thanks, Cyan.

Cyan

Banned
I assume we can post whenever? Is there a specific format that people prefer, or can I just put the text in a post?

Post when you like, and as you like. Many of us post password-protected PDFs in order to keep publishability/ward off Evilore, but it's not a requirement or anything.

From the FAQ:
Will Evilore eat my story?
If you would like to link your work here on GAF without Evilore owning it, the consensus seems to be a password-protected pdf on Dropbox (if you don't have Acrobat Pro, try PrimoPDF to make free passworded pdfs). This avoids TOS issues, lets you remove it later, and allows you to set a password and make it non-public, which means the work will not count as having been published.

If you're looking to publish your work later, this is key.

Ashes

Banned
So... the objective is Piss in a Blanket... Right?

*nods*

Trying to weave in and out of three different threads. I'm gonna put off planning for nanowrimo for a bit. Can't think straight. Though I suppose I can use that to my advantage and think sideways...

..nah. Maybe not.

Cyan

Banned
Someone do an FFVIII fanfic.

Squall aimed his sword that was also somehow a gun at the batlike creature floating in front of him. He squeezed the trigger.

Quistis smacked him. "Hey. Dumbass. We're trying not to gain levels, remember? Card him."

Ashes

Banned
A koan:

A young writer went to his master and lamented: "I can't finish my novel! I keep getting bogged down in the boring bits."

The master nodded. "Skip the boring bits for now. Write only the interesting and exciting scenes all the way through your novel, and then once you are finished, go back and write the boring bits."

The young writer went away, and he wrote only the interesting and exciting scenes in his novel.

And he looked back on what he had written, and was enlightened.

Cyan

Banned
Shaweet! Scored a spot at the Writing Excuses workshop/retreat happening next year (damn, that thing sold out quick). Should be a good time. :)

Ashes

Banned
Shaweet! Scored a spot at the Writing Excuses workshop/retreat happening next year (damn, that thing sold out quick). Should be a good time. :)

Congrats on getting a place at the workshop/retreat thing-a-majig.

wait a second... You do remember what happened last time you went on holiday? didn't we nearly burn the whole house down?

arghhh. run for your lives!

or not.

Cyan

Banned
Congrats on getting a place at the workshop/retreat thing-a-majig.

wait a second... You do remember what happened last time you went on holiday? didn't we nearly burn the whole house down?

arghhh. run for your lives!

or not.

Don't worry, I'll totally leave some fire extinguishers!

Also it's not til next year. ;)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Aspect of Sky

It would not be the last time Herbert Ramsay would look up at the sky, but it would be the last time the sky would look back. Whether it would be the starlit heaven of a wintry night, the grey overcast castles of autumn, or the bright blue of a summer afternoon, Herbert would see up above what all men saw: the great void of space, a monument to our insignificance.

It was also the second happiest day of his life, the happiest being that glorious day in his early youth when he discovered masturbation. That was when he truly understood what being alone meant, and how to take advantage of it. It was that lesson in loneliness which prepared him for the loss of his sky.

Much like his brother, a former mad man of God who ultimately found his paradise between the legs of a tattooed French gal, Herbert had spent much of life convinced that the greatness of the world lay behind a veil of mystery. Our existence in this world was to glorify that mystery, our actions to wake echoes in eternity. Those thoughts he saw expressed in the sky, the countenance of infinity. But where once was solemnity, was solitude, an independence at the expense of forever. What was mysterious and magical now was natural, pure, free of outside influence. A life was part of a chain reaction set in motion at the dawn of cosmos and would occupy its reserved space for a flicker.

In his liberation, could what he had found replace what he had lost? Was his new-found happiness another illusion, a defence mechanism in an amoral universe? Earthly pleasures were all one could ask to fill the endless days of youth, but when the flesh grows soft and the mind weary, doubts arise that long for that enigma separated from mortal coil.

But now he was alone, and would have to live without his sky. He had drawn aside the veil and found the mystery less tangible than dust mites dancing on a sunbeam. He had awakened from a dream, and it excited him. Excitement, however, often wanes with the coming years, and Herbert dreaded the day when hollow loneliness should be all that shall remain of this frightful freedom, and the sky will never again recognise its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom