• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizzare image found by hackers in the original Killer Instinct data..

shuri

Banned
I5NyA.png

A bunch of cheat makers discovere this unused screen in the data of the arcade version of Killer Instinct. Was this the original name of the game? An inside joke from the development team? A call for help? Let's put gaf's best gaming journos on this!

Bonus material: a youtube video of the vhs that was used to promote Killer Instinct; notice the different sound effects, announcers and difference in the background! Also the character selection screen was far more badass. Why was it removed? WE'LL NEVER KNOW

omg a link

I can't really link to the site because its some sort of site about cheats and mame, and our generous gods look down upon this.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I can't be the only one that sees a dong there. ...Maybe that's why they changed it

edit: "Killer" Instinct just sounds better

Syril

Probably just an unused title, like how Vampire Savior has a title screen for Darkstalkers: Jedah's Damnation.

paul187

Probably just a place holder.

I really loved the soundtrack cd that came with this game. Gotta give it a listen now.

dose

The KI2 designer doesn't really know about that logo either...
http://hg101.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=recent&action=display&thread=8880

> Hello again Chris.
> I have a question about Killer Instinct 1. Crafty hackers found two unused
> images in the game (see attachments), do you remember what they were going
> to be used for? Specially that one called "Thriller Instinct"?

Hi Rey,
I definitely don't remember anything about those 2 pictures. Possibly an
alternate name...
Best regards,

Chris

The shape of the T annoys me, I know it's looking like a weapon or blade but it just looks wrong, to me that's a sign of a quick new logo as a backup in case something has to change.

Dr Dogg

The shape of the T annoys me, I know it's looking like a weapon or blade but it just looks wrong, to me that's a sign of a quick new logo as a backup in case something has to change.

It does have a touch of the Unreal U about it, although Killer Instinct came out 4 years beforehand...

Well since it crossed my minds, I have to rule out it being a Thrillhouse reference since that Simpsons episode first aired 17th December 1995 putting it well past the release of Killer Instinct.

Make me wonder if it would be a bizarre cheat mode like the Mr. Pants enemies in Jet Force Gemini.

Probably just a back up name just in case. A video game with the name Killer in the 90's was probably a hard sell. Especially to later on Nintendo.

Whats this penis everyone keeps referring to?

Probably just a back up name just in case. A video game with the name Killer in the 90's was probably a hard sell. Especially to later on Nintendo.

Whats this penis everyone keeps referring to?

Assuming it's the bottom of the TI in the middle logo looking like the top of a penis. Not that I was looking :shifty:

Sgblues

I thought most people(well people who looked into games) knew about this already? Yeah KI was originally called TI in its early development.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Also the character selection screen was far more badass. Why was it removed? WE'LL NEVER KNOW
Eh, I like the arcades character select screen much better than the one in that video.

ReyVGM

It was actually one hacker, Abystus, that found that image and some unused sounds.

Now, for Killer Instinct 2, a couple of hackers found a bunch of unused endings and the name of an unused character called Vampire.

shuri

Banned
Aahhh awesome to learn. And only on gaf would a thread like this degenerates into discussion of phantom dicks! haha!

antitrop

Wait, isn't Orchid the only female in Killer Instinct?

Goes to Google to make sure.
Nope. Kim Wu and Maya were included in Killer Instinct 2. But Boobs is the only female in KI1.

When I was a kid myself and all my friends thought that the 'B' in B. Orchid stood for Boobs, never heard that it was Black until years and years afterwards. I mean, to be fair, her boobs were disgusting and even at 13 we understood just fine that they looked ridiculous.

Top Bottom